Translate

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Scenes From "Mixed-ish" (American Television Show) About People Who Have A Black Parent And A White Parent Being Racially Profiled

 “Because she's mixed-race, she doesn't identify as Black.”☠️🔥 |Mixed-ish | #Trending #shorts 

Editor:@BealeWeasley-8S, September 27, 2026

[...]

🎥 Series: Mixed-ish [American television series]
-snip-
Statistics for this YouTube video short as of October 1, 2026 as of 10:59 AM :
Total # of views - 709,299
Total # of comments - 1,094

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a 2026 YouTube video short that shows skits about experiences that a middle school age girl who is of mixed Black & White descent has that begins with her and her classmates having to fill out a school form that specifies their race.

This post also includes information about the television series Mixed-ish as well as selected comments from this video's discussion thread.

The content of this post is presented for historical, socio-cultural, and educational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are associated with this video short and thanks to all those who are  quoted in this post. 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE TELEVISION SERIES MIXED ISH
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-ish
" Mixed-ish (stylized as mixed·ish)" is an American single-camera sitcom created by Kenya Barris, Peter Saji and Tracee Ellis Ross that aired on ABC from September 24, 2019, to May 18, 2021. The series is a prequel to Black-ish, and the second series to be spun off from the parent series after the Freeform series Grown-ish. In May 2020, the series was renewed for a second season, which premiered on January 26, 2021. In May 2021, the series was canceled after two seasons.

Premise

Loosely based on the early life of Dr. Rania Barris (co-creator Kenya Barris' ex-wife),[1] Mixed-ish chronicles Rainbow Johnson's childhood years as she recounts her experience growing up in a mixed-race family in the 1980s. The family faces dilemmas over whether to assimilate or stay true to themselves when Rainbow's parents move from a hippie commune to the suburbs in 1985.[2]"...

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD OF THIS VIDEO SHORT

(with numbers added for referencing purposes only).

All of these comments are from September 27-October 1, 2026

****
DISCLAIMER:
This compilation documents a few comments from this video's discussion thread.

These quotes are the commenters' opinions on this subject and their comments may not agree with my opinions.

****
https://youtube.com/shorts/1nslVTAaa_M?si=rFbgcLdzp1IVjtQV

1. @isam_rulez270
"What if an Indian kid comes along tf are they supposed to put down"

**
Reply
2. @jojoone1099
"It must be an older movie. They didn't have the Hispanic options."

**
Reply
3. @Art_or_not
"​@jojoone1099  Indians aren't Hispanic 😭, at best it's Asian

Anyways, I hate how this movie showed that she was wrong, when in her time, Hispanic/Indian ppl where considered black, Asians & other peach colored ppl where white.

It depended on skin color, which is racism. It's so stupid how no one else in the show realized that 😭.

Why does she have to be black, bc she looks black? I hated when everyone called me black, but I was Hispanic, like FULLY."

**
Reply
4. @pinktaco646
"
@jojoone1099   It's not a movie its a show called "Mixed-ish"

**
Reply
5. @BlackBroadwayLady
"@jojoone1099  This is an episode of Mixedish, which was a short-lived sequel to Blackish. Mixedish took place in the 1980s"

**
Reply
6. @tristyy404
"
@BlackBroadwayLady  prequel

**
7. @CJGmira27
"
People can say they are mixed if they want and that may be true. But almost everyone else will see them as a black person."

**
8. @shadesteel9247
"Mixed people have the right to acknowledge both their races and cultures, just because they look more like one doesn't mean they can't acknowledge the other."

**
Reply
9. @Ella-te7fe
"@shadesteel9247 exactly."

**
Reply
10. @johnburrelljr5490
"@shadesteel9247  💯"

**
Reply
11. @uceemeforeal8185
"
@shadesteel9247 [t]he comment wasn’t about whether they have the right to acknowledge their mixed heritage.  It was about how society chooses for them and in many cases no matter how hard they stand in their true identity the powers that be will scoff at, ignore or abuse them even worse if not try to use their proximity to whiteness as social validation.

**
Reply
12. @deshagreely4238
"@shadesteel9247 they can acknowledge but the world won't 😏"

**
13. @angneatb6036
"
@shadesteel9247 that's obvious, but unfortunately it's not the world view. That's why parents should prepare their kids,  while acknowledging that they are 100% perfect the way they are."

**
14. @Miss-007-X
"That's because racial classifications come from colonizing white people who have forced their ideals onto everyone else. We don't have to ignore biology to appease white people. We are allowed to have our own thoughts now."

**
Reply
15.@49jubilee
"@Miss-007-X
Some whites could have black presenting grandparents

**
Reply
16. @Miss-007-X
" @49jubilee  what's your point?"

**
Reply
17.@Jaenotearz
"@49jubilee and? Grandparents not parents authorization they should say bloodline.😂"

**
Reply
18. @auroraborealis6009
"
@Miss-007-X  This is where world history comes in handy.

My dad was an Anglo Indian raised both in India and the UK.  He met and married my American mom in London where she worked for the State Department.

His mother was a nurse on hospital ships in WWI. My old photos show the medical staff and patients were all brown.  The officers were white.  My grandfather was an officer.

The Europeans who went to India to seek their fortunes often went home to find European wives.  The higher ups encouraged them to marry local women which led to the Anglo (or Euro) Indians.   Neither white nor brown and not really accepted by either.  Basically created for the comfort and convenience of the British Empire.

No doubt this occurred in many places throughout history.  There are Europeans with genetic ties to Ghengis Khan for example.

Nothing is that new."

**
Reply
19.
@asmawiaro7869
"@auroraborealis6009  I think the most important thing is to accept our heritage ( whether one or more "heritage"). My mother is mixed and my father is also mixed. The irony, my father's father (aka my grandfather ) is already mixed. Hence I have 5 "nations" (2 maternal side + 3 paternal side). However, physically or externally I look Asian. So, I know which box to tick in whatever form I need to fill when applying for something."

**
Reply
20. @auroraborealis6009
"@asmawiaro7869 I think those boxes aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.  You should be proud of all the ancestors and experiences that make you an individual because each one matters.  

Eventually everyone on the planet will be one race.   Human."

**
Reply
21.@GodBlessAmerica55
"@Miss-007-X

Even though you want to insult and blame "white" people, it's very likely some of your ancestors were white."

**
Reply
22. @Miss-007-X
"@GodBlessAmerica55  it's not about insulting "white" people, I'm stating a historical fact. It was "white" people who created the social construct of race and them who indoctrinated people with the "one drop rule". Which still affects people today. You do know that I could have white ancestry due to non-consensual interactions that took place in abundance before, during, and after enslavement right? So what is your point in mentioning that I could have white ancestry??"

**
Reply
23. @theapavlou3030
"@BronzeSista that word "biracial" is so wrong. We say mixed, not bi-anything"

**
24. @AminaCaster
"That's what I tell people all the time.im black and white and I'm  very proud of the black blood that runs through my veins.Im happy the way GOD made me."

**
Reply
25. @jaitsadi-gee
"​@AminaCaster  Suppose you are African, Asian, Latino, and Indigenous (American), what would you say? Still "mixed," but is it any non-family member's business, as long as the people who matter know? 

Black and white is NOT the only mix that matters and, if you look deeper, you'll possibly find that YOUR mix runs deeper."

**
Reply
26. @AminaCaster
"@jaitsadi-gee Yes I agree with you 💯"

**  
27. @grahambrown5739
"Tragic mixed narratives really can be so exhausting."

**
Reply
28.@dchardinaycole5944
"@FelShaHer 😂😂😅fr"

**
Reply
29.@FelShaHer
"Tiiiiired 🥱"

**
Reply
30. @dchardinaycole5944
"
@FelShaHer 😂😂😅fr"

**
Reply
31. @EarthWiser
"Definitely not as tragic as black American narratives though🤔"

**
Reply
32. @ShoNuff_Ali
"
​@EarthWisertragic nonetheless. But why compare?"

**
33. @jorollenola8320
"I'm shocked that so many people forget that the One Drop Rule is still in effect in this country."

**
34. @JP2025-f1s
"I am a black woman with a white husband. We have two beautiful sons. We know this situation. My sons embrace both sides and focus on living their lives not their colour.  Unfortunately racism is real and experience it everywhere we go.. But  we notice it, ignore it and keep it moving🎉🎉"

**
35. @cherylseebreth328
"If I am mixed/biracial, that is what  I am.  I recognize my White mother.  Did she disappear from the equation because my Dad is Black.  I will NEVER deny my mother's DNA.  I AM MIXED.   What is wrong with being mixed?  I will not allow any Eurocentrist  to tell me who I am because it is they who decided that one ounce of Black makes you Black even if you look more White than Black (not in my case 😂😂😂).   Nothing is simply black or white in this world.  There is a whole lot of gray.  How do the Eurocentrists describe a Chinese and Caucasion mix, or Japanese and East Indian mix?"

**
Reply
36. @whitewolf7664
"She wasn't profiled; she was asked to identify herself. The fact that she couldn't is racism.

 She claimed she was both black and white, so why didn't she mark both boxes? Instead, she tried to add a box.

 But in the end if she was on the phone, standing in a crowd of people trying to identify herself to someone who was looking at the crowd, that is what she should have marked down. Her black features are more dominant than her white features; that is a fact.

If you are too ashamed to identify yourself how can others. You can't defeat racism with racism."

**.
37.@richardfrancois8219
"She's mixed and should be proud of herself"

**
Reply
38.@angneatb6036
"It's not about pride. She should be proud of both, but she will be seen as Black or Hispanic  ❤️"

**
Reply
39.@jaggg.3821
"
 @angneatb6036 in another episode her little brother told everybody He was Mexican because he was sick and tired of being asked What Are You?"

**
40. @MyHappyOhm
"Us bi/multi racial people are proud of who we are...we also know that the world is going use our dominant trait as a baseline for treatment. Don't play dumb and don't act like bi/multi racial people aren't forced into boxes we never asked for🙄😒"

**
41. @Aurora-Butterfly-1991
"
Same here. White dad. Black mom. Dad had to stand up for my mom, a lot. Racism is wild in this country."

**
42. @Lithiel
"As a mix myself, it really depends on who I’m hanging out with.

I’m pale enough I can be white but when I’m actually hanging out with other white people, they know that I’m not one of them so I suddenly become exotic, or mixed.

But when I’m with people that are darker skinned or the other Black people I’m suddenly white only.

You really can’t win in this argument. All you can do is except who you are for yourself and just let everything pass over you as you navigate between how different people in the world view you."

**
43. @TallPixi
"I'm Creole and have considered myself black. In my eyes my parents are black even when the people around us said they look white. One of my sisters could've passed as white but even the thought upset her."

**
44. @Mekashere
"My family is multiracial on both sides, but my dad’s crew has the dark skin while my mom’s side is mostly light skinned damn. My great grandmother passed for white in her young years to be in the path of opportunity when it came to her children. It’s sad, but there’s still a color separation within my family on both sides, and no one wants to be identified as mixed even though we are. Idk why this is still a thing all these years later, but we gotta remember that most Black Americans are not fully Black. It’s impossible at this point, but oh well"

**
45. @Jinshu8392
"I’m a mixed kid and everyone where i live refer to us as mixed but im also black"

**
46. @sakilynn
"As a mixed woman, all true.

Before, it was "Black", "White", or "Other"; it was years before "Other" was replaced by everything else, and "Multiple Race". People thought I was either White or Hispanic/Latina because my skin tone was so well blended (now I just look White), and I still face microagressions and milder racism."

**
47.@bestofmylovewhoahwhoah3239
"So many ppl want mixed ppl to see only black  but this clip shows the truth that mixed children overwhelming, frequently face this kind of struggle which black children with both black parents never face. Mixed and black are not the same... and that is okay."

**
48. @natashaswain7478
"I’m black but because I have light skin and my hair looks like Rainbow’s or kinda like Tracey Ellis Ross hair. People think I mixed. I’m not mixed at all. I have two black parents. I have four black grandparents. Great grandparents are black. I just came out light skin but I am not mixed! Black people always ask me what am I mixed with nothing!"

**
49. @Alinktothecats
"I mixed myself white father black and Asian mother.

I just tell myself I'm mixed but I don't know why people are offended that she's saying she's mixed cuz she is I'm guessing it's the I'm not black part that probably offends people."

**
50. @Muiyoke1961
"My partner of 10 years was mixed (African American and Lebanese. He told me growing up he wasn't considered black enough or white enough to be accepted by either group."

**
51. @Justusisnotjustice2026
"I know lots of mixed people who are proud but it’s mostly about the aesthetics of being mixed not because of any cultural history of accomplishments. They usually don’t know those parts. 😂 Initially, this is their parent’s job."

**
52. @FoxBD
"My mixed friends usually just checked the multiple boxes that they were & no one ever said a thing after they said it's them & that the story I tell when I remind someone check all that apply. "

**
Reply
53. @rainmirron
"This show is placed in the 80s. In the U.S., there was no multiple choice for race until the 90s-early 00s"

**
Reply
54. @prehistoricorchid3455
"That's why I always did. I be checking like 4 boxes lol"

**
Reply
55. @chacha.charmante
"But why you have to put your ethnicity on a formuler on the first place? I think it's kinda weird. I don't know, I m not american so can someone explain this to me."

**
Reply
56. @prehistoricorchid3455
"@chacha.charmante  it's to dictate funding. I remember doing it in like 11th grade. Asked what it was for and it basically was a "what type of people are in the school" because I was mixed I questioned what would get the school more money, and my teacher said (basically) black because it ups the diversity which looks better"

**
Reply
57. @chacha.charmante
"@prehistoricorchid3455 thanks for explaining. As an Belgian I got just that type of formular once and it was for a survey of an organization or smth. I don't even remember what it was about, but I think it was general knowledge. And we never got to know our scores. And at the end I had to put my nationality, the nationality of my parents and their studiy level and I thought it was weird. Both of my parents went to the univ and my father is a lawyer and my mom a sociologist. And we are Belgians with congolese roots."

**
Reply
58. @resaHall-m2v
"@prehistoricorchid3455  yeah it is supposed to make businesses act more fairly considering they use to exclude anyone with the wrong skin"

**
Reply
59. @lovelyrose2989
@chacha.charmante isn't Belgium like 95% white? They wouldn't need a form

**
Reply
60. @chacha.charmante
"
@lovelyrose2989 euh no not really. But yes there is less diversity than in the US. But if you take brussels our capital, Brussels is the city with the most different nationalities in the world. So even if they are not Belgian on paper there is still a lot of diversity. And even for those with the nationality, in brussels 40 % of the population is Belgian from roots (so white people) and the 60 other procent are from immigrant background, with at 1st french people, 2nd italian (so both spots white people )and 3rd marocan. But of course there is a lot of diversity and we have brusselians from a lot of back grounds of the whole world. But even if we leave brussels who is the capital and a small area compare to the rest. In belgium we have a lot of people from Turkish, Marrocan and Congolese background over all, because of obvious historical reasons. So 95 % seems to me a too high amount, I ll rather say something like 75 % of the population is white."

**
Reply
61.@BronzeSista
"@chacha.charmante In America Latinos are classified as White to increase the white population on paper.  These Latinos are not treated as white Europeans"

**
Reply
62. @milouagudelo106
"That’s a good one. I am mixed born in the Caribbean and I am glad I didn’t have to deal with sh-t* like this like in the USA. But if I have to check boxes I will try this one. My granny is Asian so I would have to check 3 boxes….black, white and Asian 😂😂😂😂"

**
Reply
63.@starman2671
"on most forms it says CHOOSE one or more,

so I do."

**
Reply
64. @49jubilee
"It depends on how they present

If their hair is straight..it's odd"

**
Reply
65 @auroraborealis6009
"Now they do have boxes with “don’t want to say” or  “mixed.”   Depending on that day I might select those.  If 10% Indian DNA counts as mixed race, I sometimes think it’s funny because no one would ever guess.  I’m a bit of a smart$$s."

**
66. @savoy5639
"I have Native American black and white. No matter what box I check, I'm always gonna be considered black. That's what's called Black Americans. We are a mixture of all races"

**
67. @simcity17164
"
This type of thing pisses me off, because if you say you're mixed, some black folk take offense by you not wanting to identify as black. But if you do identify as black, they're also quick to remind you that you're half white and not fully black. Damned if you do, damned if you don't"

**
68.@tay2944
"Most black Americans have at least 20% European DNA, but nobody would consider them mixed because they look phenotypically black."

**
Reply
"69.@TheresaHall-m2v
"Besides race only matters to doctors and family trees. Otherwise it is the color of your skin that they go by"

**
70.@dianac846
"Why didn't she check both boxes? She is both"

**
Reply
71. @Sir-i3r
"They wouldnt let her"

**
Reply
72. @OyayoTheStorm
"Paperwork back then didn't have biracial options. It only screens one bubble"

**
Reply
73. @noneyourbiz
"Question remains, why the intense push to ensure the White side is recognised too? Is there a bit of a colourism dynamic going on there? Meghan Markle expressed a similar view as a kid which sounded harmless, until her Netflix series where she let slip that she was surprised to actually be treated like a Black person. This insistence isn’t always just a harmless identity assertion."

**
Reply
74. @dianac846
"​@noneyourbizok so why the intense push to ensure the black side is recognized?"

**
Reply
75. @OyayoTheStorm
"Yeah .. I remember a similar issue, and my biracial friend's white father and white stepmother came to pick us all up. The stepmother got upset at how quickly the security guard changed his tune when white adults showed up, and stayed until Loss Prevention management showed up. The guard was suspended, and she told us in the car that people like that don't get real consequences, and we have to be relentless about our rights Only when we have allies there to protect us. It was a scary lesson, in the 90s, just shy of the LA riots, but we learned that hate didn't and doesn't change until people see us equally"

**
76. @karlenejohnson8588
"She's right. I've always had a concern with this. Why should she identify as just one thing? She's mixed. Being mixed doesn't mean you're denying your black side, it just means you're identifying exactly who you are."

**
77.@stargazer_stacey7415
"I don’t really like how she’s not really being allowed to identify as mixed (biracial). We have taught my daughter that she is both black AND white. I’ve even taught her to select both on any kind of consensus forms. She knows that the world sees her as black but I’ve always felt it’s important for her to recognize both sides of her heritage. I can’t condone making her “choose”."

**
 78.@lynnevenables7193
"Mixed kids have an extra layer of struggle."

**
79.@devilmecare
"Many little children are confused when they see a person with brown/melenated skin that say they're black. If there is a one drop rule then there are a whole lot of people passing as caucasian."

**
80.@chingling8177
"I feel her as a mixed person all you want to do is honor both sides of yourself"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment