Translate

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Kamala Harris Gives A Heckler At Her Rally "The Look" And Shuts That Heckler Down (August 2024 video & comments)

 

                           Meidas Touch, August 2024                             

****

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a video clip of Vice President and Democratic candidate Kamala Harris speaking directly to a heckler during one of her large rallies. No information is given in this video about where and when that rally was held and what the heckler said. Instead, that video clip which is looped (continuously repeats itself) focuses on what Kamala Harris said to the heckler and the stern look she gave to the him or her which showed her disapproval of how the heckling interrupted her speech.

This post presents some comments from the video's discussion thread about that interaction and about commenters' experience with what a number of they referred to as "the look" that Black mothers and other Black women are known to give their children or other children in their care when those children are doing something wrong. Notice that a number of commenters in this compilation shared that they aren't Black but their mothers also gave them the look when they did something wrong or were getting ready to do something wrong.

As is the case with most selected comment sections in this pancocojams blog, I'm interested in documenting and sharing not only what these commenters said but how they said it, particularly the use of African American Vernacular English. 

The content of this post is presented for cultural, political, and linguistic purposes.   

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Kamala Harris and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
MY DESCRIPTION OF THIS VIDEO
Vice President and Democratic Presidential Candidate Kamala Harris pauses her speech about the Affordable Care Act to say this directly to a heckler in a "I mean no nonsense" tone of voice:
"You know what. If you want Donald Trump to win then say that. Otherwise, I'm speaking."

After she says that, V.P. Harris stands still, saying nothing else but looking at the heckler with a very stern expression on her face. At one point V.P. Harris nods her head ever so slightly while still maintaining that stern look directly at the heckler. That nod may mean "Yeah, I'm talking to you and I mean every word I said-and every word I didn't say".

Eventually, the audience begins one of the campaign's favorite chants "We're not going back". V.P. Harris soon smiles and begins chanting along with the audience.

No information is given about the heckler or about what was said, but it appears that V.P. words resulted in the end of the heckling. 

****

SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS VIDEO SHORT

https://youtube.com/shorts/XswNdOfZd54?si=QVkzNW71PZQx_MFR

All of these comments were posted on August 2024,

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only,  A few of these comments have ,,, in the beginning instead of the commenter's name that they are responding to.

**
Reply
2. @usmc187
"The look my mother gave me as a child and knowing that my world was about to be turned upside down "

**
Reply
3. @missjuds
"May my Jamaican mother rest in peace, now I do what I used to hate, that look."

**
Reply
4. @cherylmcarthur5372
"I remember that look very well."

**
Reply
5. @robinnewton1061
"IKR…my big age too"

**
Reply
6. @preciouspearl487
"We sure did.. and we straightened up quick.."

**
Reply
7.@LmQUAM
"ME TOO. THAT MEANS IF YOU DON'T STOP ......."

**
Reply
8. @RENbby
"Right. I got my act together quick!! "

**
Reply
9.@Biggdoom344
.."it meant stop or else some discomfort is coming your way "

**
Reply
10. @williesloan8199
"definitely."

**
Reply
11. @Biggdoom344
"... yeah..given herself the out when she whooped that azz. I. Told you don’t make me l.you did lol "

**
Reply
12. @stalyirmangin6249
"Here, I’m as white as milk, I brushed my teeth, put on my pjs and took my @$$ to bed - all the way here in Scotland! She’s got this!!! Sending our love "

**
Reply
13. @ShirleyinGeorgia
"You don’t have to be black to get that look from your momma. I used to get it when I was sitting in church with my friends, writing notes back and forth on the church program."

**
Reply
14. @user-ob9uu9ql8m
"I hear you. However, 72 yr old white woman here. My mom gave me that look. I gave my daughters that look. I think it's tough love moms in all races that don't put up with childish nonsense. No matter how old our kids get that kind of mom will still give them the mom look. I still do with my daughters and my grandkids. "

**
Reply
15. @user-ob9uu9ql8m
"I hear you. However, 72 yr old white woman here. My mom gave me that look. I gave my daughters that look. I think it's tough love moms in all races that don't put up with childish nonsense. No matter how old our kids get that kind of mom will still give them the mom look. I still do with my daughters and my grandkids. "

**
16.@juned1719
"I got scared for a minute gave me flashbacks and I’m a grown woman. You just know not to utter another word after hearing that tone and getting that look. She is definitely the right one to lead this country 🇺🇸"

**
17. @DivineMagickOccult
"When my mother gave me that look, it usually came with a round of spankings and 1 week of being grounded."

**
18. @Biggdoom344
"Damn..that look gave me PTSD. I was looking to hide in the closet because that was the last warning look."

**
19. @brendellya
"Don't make me come over there..."

**
20. @user-ob9uu9ql8m
"I hear what you're saying. However, white 72 yr old woman here. My mom gave me that look too. I gave that look to my daughters too. I think it's a tough love mom thing that is with all races of moms that don't put up with childish bs no matter how old our kids get. "

**
21.@theeTJ
"My dad would give me this look in the grocery store and when I tell you I would stop mid-stride! Baby I lost all sense of time and placement but I knew I better go hold on to that basket! "

**
22. @DivineMagickOccult
"When my mother gave me that look, it usually came with a round of spankings and 1 week of being grounded."

**
23.@latakahashi9133
"The look"

**
24. @TherecanonlybeoneJess
"Made me straighten up ."

**
25.@letskeepitreal2409
"I'm like, "YES MA'AM" "

**
Reply
26. @raem7598
"Amen "

**
27.@pamcrum9932
"Straight up eye contact. Long stare...we ARE NOT GOING BACK!"

**
28, @ap114
"It was the drop of the head ever so much that got me. 🇯🇲"

**
Reply
29. @tjcombo9328
..."before child abuse was called child abuse....but if you keep acting up you would get your butt beat in front of everyone in the store or in front of your friends. Glad i never called their bluff but my younger borther did lol He learned quick what i already knew not to do lol"

**
30. @jus10lewissr
"In all honesty, every child -- regardless of color -- has seen that look. It may have been from a mom, a teacher, or whoever, but we've all seen that look and that look is how you know not to speak another word. But yes, even as an adult, it does bring on a bit of childhood fear!"

**
Reply
31. @jus10lewissr
"However, I will say that my wife's mom (who's bl@ck) made that look often and she always said, "Go on 'head, say it one mo' 'gin." every single time. You kept your mouth closed, for sure.

I have no idea why, being that other people use the words all the time, but I can't say wh*te or bl@ck without my comment being deleted, hence me writing it out that way"

**
Reply
32. @jsutigers8954
"I was about to say that about my mom "

**
Reply
33. @pyrovania
"Also Italians. I've seen Nancy Pelosi and my grandmother do that."

**
34. @deeterr1227
"As a teen I was at my high school football game in the bleachers...I guess I was acting up, cuz across the field I made eye contact with Verna (my mother) and them Lazer eyes and pooched lips sat my behind down but quick. Verna didn't play!!!! I Just saw Kamala's eyes doing that, and knew what she was thinking "DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!!!!"

**
Reply
35. @BobbMac
"Just look at those eyes..."The eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight, risen up to the challenge of our rival..."

**
36. @roxie6519
"Honestly a black mom sounds like something America could really use right now."

**
37. @slfish
"Oh it's not just black children, I got that look as a kid too! My mom seen this and goes "She's got that mama ain't playing look down perfect." "

**
38, @sondralcampbell169
"Oooh Lordy! That was my momma, me and my grown daughters with children! Don't play with us! "

**
Reply
39. @Biggsneeky
"You better keep preaching! You ain't never lied! My grandmother raised me and gave me that look one time or another and I automatically knew I better straighten up or else! Lbvs! "

**
Reply
40. @sable7114
 ... "and they want to say that she is a childless cat lady, well a lot of you kids are scared right now. she is serious and she ain't scared exclamation point"

**
41. @heatherbirdlady
"I have two daughters. Oldest would stop everything she was doing and straighten up. My youngest on the other hand tested meeeee "

**
42. @jasondoust4935
"What? Every kid, regardless of race, colour or creed got that look! (And if the hands were on the hips, oh, jeez..!)"

**
43. @PrettyPoppyGirl651
"I still get that from my Polish mother & 93 year old Babchi. Someday it shall be mine too. Someday"

**

**
Reply
45. @patriciayoung1579
"Whew chile! I came here to say the same thing...that look from a across the room? And that's yo' a** when you get home! I almost dropped my phone!"

**
46. @zairetahj3220
"That look just scared me

I no that look and that tone very well Mom grandma and auntie still give the look til today"

**
47. @b3llyfull
"Me looking for that switch to come outta nowhere"

**
48. @shannonbrown2946
"You are 100%right about this. Especially in the church, the look says IM gone whoop yo ass when we get home if you dont cut it out."

**
49. @david-cp2bz
"Felt it in my soul. I’m 49. You never forget that look."

**
50. @kimberlydavis4772
"That was a mom glare if I ever saw one! Good thing she didn’t have a wooden spoon!"

**
Reply
51. @killary_Banx
"You didn't lie one bit!! "

**
Reply
52. @JennaJennaFoFenna
"That's right!"

**
Reply
53. @EricWilliamssports
"You speaking the truth!!!"

**
54. @bob_the_bomb4508
"Irish kids too :)"

**
55. @mcoguyaj
"I'm white and my best friend is black and Mama Shumack would give us the finger wave you know that slow one back and forth while saying "Let me tell you ...."and not just when we were children into our 40's and 50's."

**
56. @RPGCrash
"My grandma was black rest her soul, if i saw that look it triggered something in my brain "ok i am not gonna say/do that again..." "

**

**
58. @AntoinettePatterson-vs3je
"
You ain't never lied that's a look I've given my kids "

**
Reply
59.@slactweak
..."Yessss, LORD."

**
Reply
60. @dmichelle3532
"Oh no this was a Hispanic thing too. Especially when we would go to a store. The stare =don't ask 4 nothing, behave, and shut up!!"

**
61. @UnexpectedSpanishInquisition
"Every single one of my Black female public school teachers growing up gave this look, usually over the top of a pair of bifocals, after going silent to stare at you.

You know the type… all business in class and never had the time or patience for anybody’s nonsense."

**
62. @ianrundle5862
"I think that's just a "mother's look" no matter her race.

I'm a white male and we were seven kids. My Mom gave you a look that said "Hokoyo!!" AND you listened. "Hokoyo!" Is a Shona word meaning "Beware" -snip- Shona (chiShona) is a Bantu language of the Shona people of Zimbabwe, Southern Africa. Shona is also spoken in Mozambique and Botswana (Southern Africa)

**
Reply
63. @angeloknowles4975
"Indeed our mothers didn't play when it comes to someone being rude. Expect that look."

**
Reply
64. @ericacrider2825
"So, so, so true. "

**
Reply
65.@jaredmaobe1387
"Exactly..... It doesn't matter whether you are in the Americas, Europe or Africa.... that look every black child knows it. And as you put it, doesn't matter how old you are "

**
66. @Anastajia2005
"I'm as white as you get them, ask my kids about the look, it still terrifies them, I am old and I got the same look from my Scottish Moher, terrified the hell out of me."

**
Reply
67. @macondesigns
"I was about to write the same thing!! Don’t mess with a black mama or East Indian mother remembering stories my Indian friends have told me. Don’t mess with Mamala as her children call her."

**
68. @s.malone2849
"That ‘stare down’ look is Oakland. Kamala is from Oakland, CA. Straight outta Oakland.

DO NOT mess with people from Oakland! I found out when I lived there in 2007."

**
Reply
69. @karenwinston4084
"Agree 100%. No one can say she is not black after that look. We know that look."

**
Reply
70. @leofire271
"@karenwinston4084  straight facts "

**
Reply
71. @garneathahatcher5782
"And not to mention the tone ‘m like what can do you need me to open today just 4-U?"

**
Reply
72. @power966
"NOT ONE LIE DETECTED!"

**
73. @alexgill2455
"My childminder was a wonderful Jamaican woman, my second mum, I got the look more than once I miss her so much. RIP auntie."

**
74. @jonplaud
"And Puerto Rican. I understand that look too well."

**
75. @slate613
"I'm fairly sure that that look is known universally. lol"

**
76. @leofire271
"Yassss them good eyes Squinted like oh I see you now act right "

**
Reply
77, @sportsstop7810
"I know that’s right I still do it to my grands. Out here in this rural area where I live I have white friends who still do it also."

**
Reply
78. @JacquelynNhi
"Yes!!! That look we got when the teacher called before we got home from school."

**
79. @TheresaFraumeni
"She ain't laughing about it neither."

**

**
Reply
81. @beloveddaughter7336
" it's universally understood, right?"

**
Reply
82. @Jon5201
... "different cultural backgrounds but shared experiences when it came to being disciplined. Our mother’s didn’t play around with raising us."

**
Reply
83. @beth7215
"@Jon5201  believe it our not - some of 'ours' didn't either. We're not all the Brady Bunch" -snip- "The Brady Bunch" is the name of a 1969-1974 American situation comedy television series about a large White American blended family with brothers and sisters who weren't all biologically related because that was their parents' second marriage. Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brady_Bunch for information about that television series.

**
Reply
84, no name given
"Not only black children dear friend, we Latinos got a share of them looks too! We immediately froze in place! Vote !!!"

**
Reply
85. @TheEclecticPhotog
"Some white Grandmothers too! That's the universal facial expression for no more nonsense tolerated!"

**
Reply
86.@kannakanina6552
"I’m not black but my preschool teacher was and she had the exact same look! No messing around when any of us got the look from her. Little Donny won’t heed ‘the look.’ I wish she could make him sit in the naughty corner until the grown ups take him away to lock him up in a crib with bars."

****

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcom
e.

No comments:

Post a Comment