Translate

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

"Under the Bram Bush" (or similar titles) Hand Clap Rhymes (videos, sources, & examples)



Poppy, Muzz, and the Four, Oct. 8, 2017
-snip-
Here's my transcription of this version of "Under The Bram Bushes" Additions and corrections are welcome:

Under the bram bushes
Under the sea
Boom boom boom
True love love for you, my darling,
True love for me
Boom boom boom
When we get married
We'll raise a family
There'll be a boy for you
And a girl for me 
There'll be a boy for you
And a girl for me 
I said it under the 
Bram bush

Additions and corrections are welcome. 

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part III of a three part pancocojams series about English language camp songs and English language hand clap rhymes that have their source in Black American composer Bob Cole's 1902 song "Under The Bamboo Tree".

This post showcases two YouTube videos of the handclap rhyme "Under The Bram bushes" (or similar titles). Information about the rhyme "Under The Bram Bushes (or similar titles) is presented in this post along with a definition for "bramble".

Several text (word only) examples of that rhyme are included in this post.
.

Click 
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/09/under-bamboo-tree-1902-black-american.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. That post presents information about the song "Under The Bamboo Tree" that was composed by Black Americans Bob Cole, J. Rosamond Johnson, and James Weldon Johnson. 


The original lyrics for "Under The Bamboo Tree" are also included in that post along with the lyrics for one of many children's camp song versions of that song. 

That post also showcase two YouTube sound files of "Under The Bamboo Tree" and a 1944 video and a text version of that song from the 1944 American movie Meet Me In St. Louis.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/09/the-cannibal-king-also-known-as-zulu.html for Part II of this pancocojams series.  That post showcases a video of the song "The Cannibal King" (also known as "The Zulu King"). That post also includes several text (word only) examples of the "The Cannibal King" song. 

The content of this post is presented for historical, cultural and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who were associated with these showcase videos. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post 

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2: Keira & Rozanne Brumble Bush



Hennie, Scheepers, Dec 23, 2014 Keira en Rozanne speel Under the brumble bush - Swakopmund 2014 -snip-
Swakopmund is a city in Namibia, Southern Africa
-snip-
Here's my transcription of that version of :Under The Brumble Bush". Additions and corrections are welcome:

Under the bramble bushes
Down by the sea
boom boom boom
True love for you, my darling,
True love for me. 
And we'll get married
And start a family
And a boy for you
And a girl for me.
Johnny broke a bottle
And put the blame on me.
I tell ma
And she told pa
Johnny got a bum bum
I said "Ooh ahh
I got Yaah!"


****
DEFINITION OF "BRAMBLE"
From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bramble

Definition of bramble

1: any of a genus (Rubus) of usually prickly shrubs of the rose family including the raspberries and blackberries

also : the fruit of a bramble

2: a rough prickly shrub or vine

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
It's my position that the rhyme "Under The Bram Bushes"  (or similar titles) has its earliest source in the 1902 song "Under The Bamboo Tree". "Under The Bamboo" was composed by three Black Americans: 
Bob Cole, J. Rosamond Johnson, and James Weldon Johnson. 

I have only found a few videos of "Under The Bram Bush" online. In both of the videos that are  embedded in this pancocojams post, two young girls chant the rhyme while performing partner hand clap routines. 

I don't have any direct experience with the "Under The Bram Bush" rhyme. I didn't come across it in any of my face to face collection experiences from the late 1980s to 2007 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (particularly among African American children. The examples of this rhyme that I've found online are from outside of the United States, primarily in Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand.

However, the example that is chanted in Showcase video #2 in this pancocojams post is from Namibia, a country in Southern Africa. (The two girls performing the rhyme are White.) Also, Online Source #5 in this pancocojams post includes two examples of "Under The Bram Bush" from the nation of South Africa..

I wonder if the "Under The Bram Bush" rhyme is even known in the United States.

Based on the online examples of "Under The Bram Bush" that I've read,the lyrics for this rhyme appear to be quite consistent. Even the versions that extend the "basic rhyme" by adding lines or verses from other stand alone rhymes are rather consistent. Most of the combination rhymes that I've read include the "Johnny broke a bottle (and blamed it on me") rhyme. That is probably because "Under The Bram Bushes" and "Under The Bram Bushes" share a "down by the sea" line. The "Row row row your boat/throw your teacher overboard and listen to her scream" also appears to be quite common in extended versions of "Under The Bram Bush". Those rhymes also share a water connection with "Under The Bram Bush".

****
QUOTE ABOUT "UNDER THE BRAM BUSH" RHYME
This commentary accompanies a British recording of girls chanting "Under The Bram Bush"
From
https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/under-the-bram-brush
"This recording was made by Iona Opie in Liss, Hampshire, in 1974. The song ‘Under the Bram Bush’ has many variations and the Opies suggest that the song may be sung as under the ‘bram bush’; ‘the brown bushes’; ‘the bamboo’; ‘the blackberry tree’ or under the ‘branches’. This song is considered a basic clapping game as it is based on horizontal clapping, often accompanied by actions. When publishing ‘The Singing Game’ in 1985, the Opies estimated that the song’s lyrics had a 90-year-old-history, having traced it back to the song ‘The Cannibal King Medley’ based on Harry Hardin’s ‘A Cannibal Song’ (1895) and Cole and Johnson’s ‘Under the Bamboo Tree’ (1902). By the 1960s this song had been transformed into the favoured clapping game: ‘Under the Bram Bush’."

****
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF "DOWN BY THE BRAM BUSHES" (or similar titles)
These examples are given in no particular order and are numbered for referencing purposes only. 

Online Source #1 
From 
https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/other_subjects/41079-skipping-and-clapping-rhymes Skipping and clapping rhymes
1. turquoise · 24/10/2004 
"Can anyone remember any of these? DD(6) is practising but cant remember many of the words …

The only other one I can think of begins

"under the brown bush, under the sea.."
-snip-
"DD" = dearest daughter

**
2. spykid,  · 24/10/2004
"think at the end we all said ,sexy! and flashed our knickers(sure this is optional though!!)"

**
3. prettycandles -  24/10/2004
"Fancy clapping:

Under the bramble bush down by the sea
boom-boom-boom
Jonnie broke a bottle and he blamed it all on me!
I'll tell my Maaaaama
I'll tell my Paaaaapa
And Jonnie'll get a spanking on his
Om! Pah! Cha-cha-cha!"

**
4. 
KatieMac · 24/10/2004 
"Under the shade of the blackberry tree (boom,boom,boom)
True love for you my darling
True Love for Me
We're getting married tomorrow My darling(boom,boom,boom)
Under the shade of my blackberry tree"

****
Online Source #2
From https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/being-mum-794/parenting-advice-192/434766-playground-clapping-rhymes-your-childhood.html

1. kar02rdc - 13/06/2010 
"under the bram bushes
under the sea

bum bum bum

true love for you my darling
true love for me

when we get married
we,ll have a family

so a boy for you
a girl for me

living on the island
sexy"

****
Online Source #3
From https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=5609 Songs & Rhymes From Australia
"This can be found as Under the Brown, Bam, Bram or Bramble Bushes or Under the Bamboo Tree. There are many variations of this rhyme…

UNDER THE BROWN BUSHES (Hand Clapping Rhyme)

Under the brown bushes.
Under the sea
Boom, boom, boom!

True love for you my darling,
True love for me.

When we get married,
We'll raise a family,

A boy for you
And a girl for me,
How happy we'll be!

Notes:

Sometimes there's another part that goes:

Johnny broke a bottle
And put the blame on me
Boom, boom, boom,
I told my mama
I told my papa
Johnny got a scolding
Turn around
Touch the ground
Up again and freeze!"

****
Online Source #4
From https://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/37417.html

under the bam-bushes (hand clapping poem)

Submitted By: sgnnnm

under the bam-bushes
under the trees
bum bum bum
true love for you my darling
true love for me
we're getting married,
to raise a happy family,
with a boy for you and
a girl for me,
that's the way it's gonna be,
johnny broke a bottle and put the blame on me
bum bum bum
i told my mama
i told my papa
johnny got a scolding
turn around
touch the ground
up again and freeze!

Author: unknown"

****
Online Source #5
From http://looopeeelisa.blogspot.com/2010/01/under-bramble-bush-is-under-sea-bum-bum.html

[Performance directions are given here]

1. "So, the song goes like this:

Under the bramble bush is under the sea (bum-bum-bum)
True love to you my darling true love for me
I will get married
And raise a family
Under the old bramble tree (bum-bum-bum-bum)
-snip-
Here are some examples from the comment section of that post:
2. Anonymous, Saturday, 04 February, 2012
"after raise a family... we used to sing a boy for u and a girl for me um tiddly um pum sex-y!"

**
3. cheese4maweasel, Tuesday, 19 June, 2012
"Thanks for reminding me of this. We sang:

Under the bramble bushes down by the sea (pum, pum, pum),
True love for you my darling; True love for me,
And when we're married, we'll raise a family
A boy for you
A girl for me
Everyone'll call us SEX-EE!!

**
4. Anonymous, Saturday, 24 November, 2012
"
We used to sing under the bramble bushes down by the sea boom boom boom true love 4 u my darling true love 4 me were guna get married guna raise a family boy 4 u girl for me johny took an apple n he threw it in the sea I told ma I told pa johny jumped in de river with an ooh cha cha:

**
5. Reno Ambrosio, Saturday, 20 July, 2013
"South african version. under the bramble bushes, under the sea. Boom boom boom boom. True love for you my darlin true love for me. We'll get married and raise a family. A boy for you a girl for me. Johnny broke the window he blamed me. I told ma, ma told pa. Johnny got a hiding ha ha ha."

**
6. Anonymous, Wednesday, 30 April, 2014
"This is how i done it at primary school.. Under the bam bushes under the sea boom boom boom true love 4 u my darling and true love 4 me. And well get married anf raise a family with 16 children all in a row row row your boat gently down the stream throw your teacher over board and listen to her scream ahhhh."

**
7. 
Unknown, Monday, 22 September, 2014
"In Australia in the 60s and 70s it went: "Under the brown bush, under the sea, boom boom boom, true love forever, true love for me and when we marry, we'll have a family, of little children by the sea." Much more sedate."

**
8. littlebug, Saturday, 25 July, 2015
"When I was young we did it as

'Under the bramble bushes, down by the sea boom boom boom
True love, for you my darling, true love, for me
When we get married
We'll have a family
Of sixteen children,
In a
Row, Row, row your boat, gently down the stream,
Tip your teacher overboard and listen to her/him scream
Five weeks later there's nothing to be seen,
Except the teachers underpants
Floating down the steam.'

A bit weird, but yeah. Lol xD"

**
9. Unknown, Thursday, 11 June, 2020
"We did similar to this one, except when we got to tip your teacher overboard we sang

ooh ah I lost my bra
I don't know where my knickers are
Are they white are they blue
I think I flushed them down the loo
Lu Lu skip to the lu
Lu Lu skip to the lu
Skip to the Lu my darling.

 Lol so even more weird than yours 🤣"

**
10. AnonymousThursday, 10 November, 2016
"We sang...Under the bramble bushes, down by the sea (bom bom bom)
True love for you my darling, true love for me
So lets get married, in California, 10 000 children all in a
Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream
Tip you teach overboard, listen to them scream AHH!"

**
11. Anonymous, Saturday, 11 March, 2017
"Under the bramble bushes, under the trees - boom boom boom - true love for you my darlin', true love for me. And when we're married, and have a fa-mi-LY! A boy for you, and a girl for me and that's the way that IT. SHALL. BE."

In South Africa we sang it as follows in the late 80's.
"Under the bumble bushes down by the see. Boom boom boom. True love for you my darling true love for me. When we get married. We will start a family with a boy for you and a girl for me. Humpty dumpty sexy legs. Johnny breaks a window. I tell ma. Ma tells pa. Johnny gets a hiding. Ha ha ha"

**
12. Anonymous, Thursday, 30 May, 2019
"OK Guys in my country (I rather not say which one)we played the same game, but didn't know english as kids so for at least 30 years kids in our country have been playing this game and singing lyrics as follows: "Under the lady, under the sea, boom, boom, boom. Toola fa merry, Toola fa si, bastiano merry, under the lady, under the sea." Try not to laugh too hard :) We had a great laugh today in the Office when we found the actual lyrics.."

****
Online Source #6
From https://www.horntip.com/mp3/fieldwork/other_collections/janice_lackey_collection/2006%20Playground%20Rhymes%20of%20New%20Zealand%20Children%20by%20Janice%20Ackerley%20(collector).pdf  [2006 collection from New Zealand]

[Pancocojams Editor's Note: These are only a few examples from this collection. As a reminder, I've added these numbers for referencing purposes only.] 

"== R H Y M E ==

ID: 4

Date: 1970s- 2006

Title: Bambushes

Gender: Female

Classification: Clapping Skipping"


1. "Under the bambushes
Down by the sea, boom, boom, boom.
True love for you, my darling, true love for me.
We'll get married and have a family,
With 16 children all in a row.

(Christchurch, 1970s; Auckland, 1998; Tauranga,1999; Methven, 2000; Blenheim, 2000;

Christchurch, 2000; Auckland, 2001 x 2; Rotorua, 2002; Gisborne, 2002; Porirua,

2003; Kaiapoi. 2003; Wellington, 2006)"

**
2. "Down by the banbushes,
Down by the sea,
True love for you my darling,
True love for me.
We'll get married and raise a family,
With 15 children all in a row,
Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream,
Toss the teacher overboard
And listen to her scream.

(Manurewa, 1970s; Hokianga, 1970s; Auckland, 1975; Coromandel,1990s; Kerikeri,

1990s; Hamilton, 1990s x 3; Wellington, 1998; Auckland, 2000; Timaru, 2000;

Whakatane, 2000; Auckland, 2000; Masterton, 2000; Whakatane, 2000; Gisborne, 2000;

Awanui, 2000; Ngaio, 2000; Papakura, 2000; Christchurch, 2000 x 3; Rotorua, 2000 x2;

Waitakere, 2001; Lawerence, 2002; Auckland, 2002; Kerikeri, 2002; Rotorua, 2002;

Christchurch, 2002 x4; Wellington, 2002 x2; Rotorua, 2003; Gisborne, 2003; Raumati,

2003; Blenheim, 2004; Hokitika, 2005; Lower Hutt, 2005)"

**
3. "Under the banbushes, under the sea,
True love for you my darling, true love for me.
When we get married, we'll raise a family,
And have sixteen children all in a ..
Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream,
Toss the teacher overboard
And listen to her scream.
Ahh, ahh, I've lost my bra,
I don't know where my knickers are,
Are they white or are they blue?
Did I flush them down the loo?
Or are they filled with chicken poo?

(Tauranga, 2002; Hamilton, 2002)"

**
4.  "
Down by the bramble bushes
Down by the sea,
Boom, boom, boom,
True love for you, my darling,
True love for me.

(Timaru, 2000; Christchurch, 1999; Wairoa, 1970s)"

**
5. "When we get married,
We'll have a family,
A boy for you and a girl for me.
Johnny in the bushes, Johnny in the sea,
Johnny broke a bottle and blamed it on me.
I told ma, ma told pa,
Johnny got a hiding with a ha, ha, ha,

(Johnny got a smacking on his oompa cha cha - Auckland, 2000)

How many hidings did he get,
1, 2, miss a few, 99, 100!

(Blenheim, 1990s x 2; Auckland,1990s; Napier, 1990s; Auckland, 1998; Whangarei,

1998; Porirua, 1998; Wellington, 1999; Napier, 2000; NZ ex UK, 2000; Northland,

2000; Gisborne, 2000; Whakatane, 2000; Christchurch. 2002; Lower Hutt, 2002;

Wellington, 2002; Napier, 2002; Auckland, 2002; Porirua, 2003)"

**
6. "Under the bram bushes,my boyfriend said to me,
Kiss me, hug me, tell me that you love me,
Under the bambushes my boyfriend said to me,
Pinch me, kick me, tell me that you hate me.
Down by the bambushes, my boyfriend said to me,
Get lost!

(Northland, 2001)"

**
7. "Under the bram bushes, under the sea,
Boom, boom, boom,
True love for you, my darling, true love for me.
When we get married,
And raise a family,
A boy for you and a girl for me.
How many fishes in the sea?
Twelve plus twelve is twenty four,
Kick the teacher out the door.
If she says 'Don't do that',
Hit her on the head with a baseball bat.

(Kaiapoi, 2002; NZ, 2003)"

****
This concludes Part III of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the international variations of one of my favourite childhood clapping songs from the early to mid 1980's.

    It was a popular playground pastime at my village primary school in the south-west of Scotland (UK) and went like this:

    "Down by the bramble bushes
    Down by the sea,
    Boom, boom, boom,
    True love for you, my darling,
    True love for me.
    When we get married, we'll have a family.
    A boy for you. A girl for me.
    Tum tiddely tum tum. Succeed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Anonymous. Thanks very much for sharing the example of "Under The Bram Bush" that you remember with demographic information and the information that it was a hand clapping song.

      It's interesting that this rhyme ends with the word "Succeed". Is (or was) that word used at the end of any other hand clap rhymes, and did chanters do any different motion when they said it?

      Best wishes!

      Delete