Translate

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

"The Cannibal King" (also known as "The Zulu King") Camp Song (videos, information, & lyrics)



Splash Games, Mar 19, 2020 Here are the lyrics to Cannibal King. Oh the cannibal king with the big nose ring Fell in love with the dusty maid And every night by the pale moonlight This is what he said . Baroom (Make kissing sound 2 x's) Baroom (Make kissing sound 2 x's) Honey won't you marry me Baroom (Make kissing sound 2 x's) Baroom (Make kissing sound 2 x's) Under the bamboo tree? If you'll be M-I-N-E mine I'll be T-H-I-N-E thine And I'll L-O-V-E love you all the T-I-M-E time You are the B-E-S-T best of all the R-E-S-T rest And I'll L-O-V-E love you all the T-I-M-E time.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a three part pancocojams series about English language camp songs and English language hand clap rhymes that have their source in Black American composer Bob Cole's 1902 song "Under The Bamboo Tree".

This post showcases a video of the song "The Cannibal King". (This song is also given as "The Zulu King".)

This post also includes my editorial notes about "The Cannibal King" along with several text (word only) examples of this song.


Click  https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/09/under-bamboo-tree-1902-black-american.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. That post presents information about the song "Under The Bamboo Tree" that was composed by Black Americans Bob Cole, J. Rosamond Johnson, and James Weldon Johnson. 


The original lyrics for "Under The Bamboo Tree" are also included in that post along with the lyrics for one of many children's camp song versions of that song. 

That post also showcase two YouTube sound files of "Under The Bamboo Tree" and a 1944 video and a text version of that song from the 1944 American movie Meet Me In St. Louis.

****
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/09/under-bram-bush-or-similar-titles-hand.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. That post presents information about song sources for the children's hand clap rhyme "Under The Brambush" (or similar titles).

The content of this post is presented for historical, cultural and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who were associated with these showcase videos. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post 
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/09/the-king-of-cannibal-islands-youtube.html for a pancocojams post entitled "T
he King Of The Cannibal Islands" (YouTube sound file, information, & lyric examples)." That 19th century song should not be confused with "The Cannibal King". 

**** PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTES
As I indicated earlier, this pancocojams post is published for folkloric purposes.

My central purpose in publishing this post is to share the seldom mentioned fact that "The Cannibal King" songs have their source in the "Under The Bamboo" song that was composed by the early 20th century Black Americans Bob Cole, J. Rosamond Johnson, and James Weldon Johnson. 

I don't encourge people to teach or sing "The Cannibal King" with that title or with the title "The ZUlu King" because I believe that some of its lyrics are stereotypical and therefore offensive (i.e. the reference "cannibal", the description of the king with a big nose ring, the adjective "dusty" or "dusky" that is used to describe a Black woman". 

It's important to note that Zulus are a who aren't particularly known for cannibalism, although there are Zulu myths and legends about cannibals and reports of cannibalism that occurred of extreme famine. 

My guess is that the 19th century (if not earlier) custom of people in the United States and in other "Western nations" describing Zulus as cannibals was conmingled with stereotypical descriptions in those times of of dark skinned people from far off lands wearing nose rings, capturing people putting people in a pot and eating them. Also, note that Polynesia was described as "cannibal Islands". (Read some comments in the pancocojams post about "The King Of The Cannibal Islands" whose link is given above.)

Furthemore, descriptions of "a Zulu" king with a big nose ring may have been spurred along by the interest if not fascination that people in the 19th century (and people in the 20th and 21st century) have for Shaka Zulu. Here's a brief quote about Shaka Zulu from 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka#In_popular_culture
" Shaka kaSenzangakhona (c. 1787 – 22 September 1828), also known as Shaka Zulu ... was the king of the Zulu Kingdom from 1816 to 1828. He was one of the most influential monarchs of the Zulu, responsible for re-organizing the military into a formidable force via a series of wide-reaching and influential reforms"....

****
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF "THE CANNIBAL KING" These examples are given in no particular order and are numbered for referencing purposes only.
Online source #1: From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-LJhCpZXaM&t=29s  

[This is link for the first showcase video in this post.]

1. Sandra_chi Ch, 2021
"The one I know is so long and different than this one.

It goes:

There was a cannibal king with a big nose ring who fell in love with a dusty maid and every night by the pale moon light it sounded like this to me:

A-rump *kiss *kiss
a-rump *kiss *kiss
a-rump abade adehh. (a-rump chorus x2)

The years went by like 1, 2, 3 and soon they had a family and every night by the pale moon light it sounded like this to me:

A-rump Mama!
a-rump Papa!
a-rump abade adehh. (a-rump chorus x2)

The years went by like 4, 5 ,6 and soon they were in quite the fix and every night by the pale moon light it sounded like this to me:

a-rump did not!
a-rump did too!
a-rump abade adehh.  (a-rump chorus x2)

The years went by like 7,8,9,10 and soon they were alone again and every night by the pale moon light it sounded like this to me:

A-rump
a-rump
a-rump abade adehh. (a-rump chorus x2)

****
2. Chris, 2022
"The cannibal king with the big nose ring fell in love with the dusty maid

And every night by the pale moon light across the sea he'd wave. a root (kiss kiss) a root (kiss kiss) a root diddy ah di ayyyy ×2

As the years went 123 they raised a little family and every night by the pale moon light, it would sound like this to me, a root (mama ) a root (pa pa) a root diddy ah di ayyy x2

And as the years went 123 the raised another family and every night by the pale moon light,  it would sound like this to me. A root ( gramma) a root (grandpa) a root diddy ah di ayy x2

But as the years went 123 they lost their little family and every night by the pale moon light it would sound like this to me.  A root (boo hoo) a root (boo hoo) a root diddy ah di ayyy.


And at 5 years old I'd cry. So sad lol"

**** Online Source #2
From https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=5819 Subject: Lyr Add: UNDER THE BAMBOO TREE and A CANNIBAL MAID
From:mafrech
Date: 17 Jul 98 - 1:00 PM
..."We actually sing the first one every now and then. I think it was popular on College Campuses in the 40's, 50's.

UNDER THE BAMBOO TREE
aka THE CANNIBAL KING

Oh, the cannibal king
With the big nose ring
Fell in love with a dusky maid
And every night in the pale moon light
Across the bay he sail
He hugged and kiss his pretty little miss
Under the bamboo tree
And every night
Under the pale moonlight
Sounded like this to me...
Bah ump, bah ump boom du di oddy eh
Bah ump, bah ump boom du di oddy eh

Oh, the cannibal king
With the big nose ring
Bought a ring for his dusky maid
And then that night
By the pale moonlight
Across the bay he sailed
He placed the band upon her hand
And promised he'd be true
And then that night
In the pale moonlight
They sat and pitched the woo

Oh, the cannibal king
Went out on a fling
Without his dusky maid
And then that night
By the pale moonlight
Across the bay she sailed
In her hand she carried a gun
The bullets made of lead
And then that night
By the pale moonlight
She went and shot him dead

Bah ump bang, bang bah ump bang bang
Bomm du di oddy eh
Bah ump, bang, bang bah ump bang, bang
Boom du di oddy eh

We'll build a bungalow
Big enough for two
Big enough for two my darling
Big enough for two
And when we marry
Happy we'll be
Under the bamboo tree.

If you be M-I-N-E mine
I'll be T-H-I-N-E thine
And I'll L-O-V-E love you
All the T-I-M-E time

You are the B-E-S-T best
Of all the R-E-S-T rest
And I'll L-O-V-E love you
All the T-I-M-E time

Just like a L-A-R-K lark
Out in the P-A-R-K park
I will K-I-S-S kiss you
In the D-A-R-K dark

You are the B-E-S-T best
Of all the R-E-S-T rest
And I'll L-O-V-E love you
All the T-I-M-E time.
-snip-
This post (comment) includes lyrics for another song entitled "A Cannibal Maid".  

****
2. 
Subject: RE: Lyr/Tune Req: King of the Cannibal Islands [This is the same link as the example given above]

From: GUEST,Amyri
Date: 18 Aug 06 - 12:01 PM

My mother always tuaght me:

oh,The cannibal King with the big brass ring,
Fell in love with the zulu maid,
And every night, 'neath the pale moonlight,
It sounded like this to me:

Barumph,kiss kiss,
Barumph,kiss kiss,
Barumph-adee, adee,a-a-ay x2

oh,the days went by ,a,d one,two, three,
Soon they had a family,
And every night 'neath the pale moonlight,
It sounded like this to me:

Barumph,kiss kiss,wah,wah!
Barumph,kiss kiss,wah,wah!
Barumph-adee, adee,a-a-ay!!

****
Source #3
From https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=4822

THE CANNIBAL KING

(camp song)

The cannibal king with the big nose ring
Fell in love with the dusty maid
And every night by the pale moon light
Across the lake he came.

He hugged and he kissed his pretty little miss
In the shade of the bamboo tree
And every night by the pale moon light,
It sounded like this to me...

A-Rump (Make kissing sound 2 x's)
A-Rump (Make kissing sound 2 x's)
A-Rump ba-dee-ah-dee-ay!
A-Rump (Make kissing sound 2 x's)
A-Rump (Make kissing sound 2 x's)
A-Rump ba-dee-ah-dee-ay!

We'll build a bungalow big enough for two,
Big enough for two, my honey, big enough for two
And when we're married, happy we'll be
Under the bamboo, under the bamboo tree.

If you'll be M-I-N-E mine
I'll be T-H-I-N-E thine
And I'll L-O-V-E love you all the T-I-M-E time
You are the B-E-S-T best of all the R-E-S-T rest
And I'll L-O-V-E love you all the T-I-M-E time.

*Rack 'em up, sack 'em up any ole time
Match in a gas tank - Boom! Boom!*

****
Source #4
From https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=26036
Subject: RE: Zulu King - another version
From: Metchosin
Date: 02 Oct 00 - 09:19 PM

…"I learned this song from my mother and she was singing it prior to my birth in 1946. However the words we sing are different still and we call our version the Cannibal King. It has no kissy noises in it

THE CANNIBAL KING

Oh the cannibal king
With the big nose ring
Fell in love with a Zulu maid
And every night
In the pale moonlight
Across the canal he'd wave

His dusky miss
Gave him a kiss
All under the green bay tree
And every night they sang a duet
That sounded like this to me

Chorus:

Oh jason leeah
Ki yi ya booya
Oh pappa wawa
Kuneticaw
Oompah oompah oompah

As the years went by like one two three
Soon there was a family
And every night by the pale moonlight
It sounded like this to me

Chorus:

As the years went by like one two three
Soon there was no family
And every night by the pale moonlight
It sounded like this to me.....

 

The last two verses I found at a camp song site a few months back but the first two and the chorus is what my mother sang"

****
Source #5
From https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/zulukinglyrics.html

THE ZULU KING
(unknown)

The Zulu king with the big nose-ring
Fell in love with a dusty maid
And every night in the pale moon light
Across the lake he came
A hug and a kiss for the pretty little miss
In the shade of the bamboo tree
And every night in the pale moon light
It sounded like this to me

Barump (kiss kiss) Barump (kiss kiss)
Barump tiddy ahdi day
Barump (kiss kiss) Barump (kiss kiss)
Barump tiddy ahdi day

We'll big a bungalow big enough for two
Big enough for two, my honey, big enough for two waila waila
And when we're married, how happy we will be
Underneath the bamboo, underneath the bamboo tree, boom boom

You'll be M-I-N-E mine, I'll be T-H-I-N-E thine
And I'll L-O-V-E love you, all the T-I-M-E time
You are the B-E-S-T best of all the R-E-S-T rest
And I'll L-O-V-E love you, all the T-I-M-E time

camp song

****
This concludes Part II of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I have come across some versions of "The Cannibal King" that substitute "dusty" or "dusky" with other adjectives such as "sweet" or "pretty" or "lusty".

    Also, the word "Cannibal" or "Zulu" can be substituted for something or another.

    I personally don't think that those substitutions of cannibal/Zulu or dusty/dusky are enough to redeem this song.

    Why go through that trouble when there are other fun camp songs that can be sung?

    ReplyDelete