Translate

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

(African American Female Country Music Singer) Mickey Guyton - "Black Like Me" (Live At Capitol Studios) video, information, & lyrics



Mickey Guyton, Sep 21, 2020

Mickey Guyton’s performs “Black Like Me” live from the Today Show. -snip- Total number of views for this video as of Feb. 15, 2022 at 7:52 AM ET - 239,728

**** Edited by Azizi Powell This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series about the song "Black Like Me" by Mickey Guyton. This post showcases a 2020 YouTube video of Mickey Guyton singing this song live at Capitol Studios. Information about Mickey Guyton is included in this post along with information about this song and the lyrics for this song.. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/02/african-american-female-country-music.html_for Part II of this pancocojams series. That post showcases a YouTube video of Mickey Guyton singing "Black Like Me" at the 63rd Grammys (March 2021). Selected comments from the discussion thread for that video and from the discussion thread for the video embedded in Part I are also included in that post. The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural, entertainment, inspirational, and aesthetic purposes. All copyrights remain with their owners. Thanks to Mickey Guyton for her music and thanks to Mickey Guyton and the other composers of this song. Thanks also to all those who performed this song with Mickey Guyton at the Grammys and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. **** INFORMATION ABOUT MICKEY GUYTON Excerpt #1 From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Guyton "Mickey Guyton (born Candace Mycale Guyton;[2] June 17, 1983)[3] is an American country music artist. Raised in Texas, Guyton was exposed to various types of music at a young age, and her material subsequently incorporates elements of contemporary country and R&B music. Moving to Nashville, Tennessee in 2011, she would later sign a recording contract with Capitol Records Nashville. In 2015, the label released Guyton's debut extended play (EP), Unbreakable.

In 2015, Capitol released her debut single, titled "Better Than You Left Me". The song reached number 34 on the US Country Airplay chart and helped her receive a nomination from the Academy of Country Music Awards. The same year, her second second self-titled EP was released. In 2020, Guyton released the single "Black Like Me", which speaks on her experiences as a Black woman, particularly a Black woman in country music. It was released in the wake of the George Floyd protests and the Black Lives Matter movement. The song helped further elevate Guyton's career and resulted in her first ever nomination at the Grammy Awards, becoming the first Black woman to ever be nominated in the Best Country Solo Performance category. Later that year, her third extended play Bridges was released. She then collaborated with Dean Brody on the song "Boys" which made her the first Black woman to achieve a number one hit on the Canada Country chart. Her debut album Remember Her Name followed in 2021. Guyton's music is defined by country, pop, and R&B influences. Mickey sang the American National Anthem at the opening of 2022 Super Bowl LVI at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, CA."... **** Excerpt #2 From https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mickey-guyton-black-like-me-grammys/ "Mickey Guyton, first Black woman to be nominated for a Best Country Solo performance, performs "Black Like Me" " By Caroline Linton. March 14, 2021 "Mickey Guyton made history ahead of the Grammys as the first Black woman to be nominated for Best Country Solo performance for "Black Like Me." On Sunday night, she made her Grammy debut with a powerful performance of the song.

Guyton kicked off the performance with a single spotlight, accompanied by a cello, piano and pedal steel guitar. "Little kid in a small town / I did my best to fit in / Broke my heart on the playground / When they said I was different," she sang.

She led into belting the chorus "It's a hard life on easy street / Just white painted picket fences as far as you can see / If you think we live in the land of the free / You should try to be Black like me." In the second chorus verse, she was joined by a handclap percussion.

[…]

Guyton told "CBS This Morning" that in Nashville, she felt the pressure to conform to a certain version of country music.

"For so long, I was living someone else's truth and I wasn't living my truth and this song is an example of that," she said. "Country music is three chords and the truth and people have so much pride in country music because of its honest music but I wasn't being honest. This is the real first time I've been honest with my words and my lyrics and my message and it's so freeing. I don't care what way I am supposed to go, I know it is the right way because it is who I am."

Next, Guyton will be co-host the Academy of Country Music Awards with Keith Urban on April 18 on CBS." -snip- This article includes a video interview of Mickey Guyton by the host of "CBS This Morning".

**** LYRICS - BLACK LIKE ME (Written By Nathan Chapman, Mickey Guyton, Fraser Churchill & Emma Davidson-Dillon

Release Date: June 2, 2020)

[Verse 1]

Little kid in a small town I did my best just to fit in Broke my heart on the playground, mm When they said I was different

[Pre-Chorus] Oh, now Now, I'm all grown up and nothin' has changed Yeah, it's still the same

[Chorus] It's a hard life on easy street Just white painted picket fences far as you can see If you think we live in the land of the free You should try to be black like me

[Verse 2]

My daddy worked day and night For an old house and a used car Just to live that good life, mm It shouldn't be twice as hard

[Pre-Chorus]

Oh, now Now, I'm all grown up and nothin' has changed Yeah, it's still the same 

[Chorus] It's a hard life on easy street Just white painted picket fences far as you can see If you think we live in the land of the free You should try to be, oh, black like me

[Bridge]

Oh-oh-oh-oh Oh, I know I'm not The only one Oh, yeah Who feels Like I I don't belong

[Chorus]

It's a hard life on easy street Just white painted picket fences far as you can see And if you think we live in the land of the free You should try to be, oh, black like me

[Outro]

Oh, and some day we'll all be free And I'm proud to be, oh, black like me And I'm proud to be black like me I'm proud to be black like me Black like me

Online Source: https://genius.com/Mickey-guyton-black-like-me-lyrics -snip-Here's information about that song from that same website:

"Genius Annotation

written by RorySanders, 2021 "Black Like Me” is a ballad that tells the story of Mickey Guyton’s life growing up in Arlington, Texas, the sixth-most conservative city in the United States. Despite growing up into adulthood, she still faces challenges due to her skin color, and does not consider America to be truly free due to her experiences with institutionalized and social racism.

The song was released in June of 2020, when there were many Black Lives Matter protests across the country due to the murder of George Floyd by Derek Chauvin, with three other police officers as bystanders. In April of 2021, Chauvin was found guilty on three charges, including third-degree murder." **** This concludes Part I of this two part pancocojams series. Thanks for visiting pancocojams. Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment