Translate

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

(African American Female Country Music Singer) Mickey Guyton -"Black Like Me" 63rd GRAMMYs Performance (video & selected comments)



Mickey Guyton, Mar 15, 2021

Mickey Guyton performs a special version of her GRAMMY-nominated song "Black Like Me” live on the 63rd GRAMMY Awards. Listen to the version performed on the GRAMMYS – “Black Like Me (Our Voices)” – in a collection of Mickey’s hits now. 

Listen to more music from Mickey: https://strm.to/MickeyGuytonProject
-snip-

Statistics: Total # of views for this video as of Feb. 15, 2022 at 7:49 AM ET - 752,642

****
Edited by Azizi Powell This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series about the song "Black Like Me" by Mickey Guyton.
This post showcases a 2020 YouTube video of Mickey Guyton singing this song live at Capitol Studios. Information about Mickey Guyton is included in this post along with information about this song and the lyrics for this song.. This post showcases a YouTube video of Mickey Guyton singing "Black Like Me" at the 63rd Grammys (March 2021). Selected comments from the discussion thread for that video and from the discussion thread for the video embedded in Part I are also included in that post. Most of these comments are testimonials from people who related to this song on a personal level. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/02/african-american-female-country-singer.html for Part I of this two part pancocojams series. That post showcases a 2020 YouTube video of Mickey Guyton singing this song live at Capitol Studios. Information about Mickey Guyton is included in this post along with information about this song and the lyrics for this song..

The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural, entertainment, inspirational, and aesthetic purposes. All copyrights remain with their owners. Thanks to Mickey Guyton for her music and thanks to Mickey Guyton and the other composers of this song. Thanks also to all those who performed this song with Mickey Guyton at the Grammys and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. **** SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR TWO YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF THIS SONG Numbers are added for referencing purposes only. Discussion thread #1 From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPH9hgKSai8&ab_channel=MickeyGuytonVEVO [This is the video that is embedded in this post.]

1. Mickey Guyton, 2021
"This still feels like a dream. I couldn’t have done this without you. Thank you for your prayers and love on a day that I will remember forever. This is for my son. Everything that I am is for him. πŸ–€"
-snip-
Some commenters shared that Mickey Guyton and her husband's first child was born three weeks before this Grammy performance. 

**
2. The Vocal Doctor Stephanie Derrick, 2021
"As your 1st vocal coach, you make me and Arlington/Mansfield Texas, so proud. You put in the work and it paid off. We love you and the performance was Awesome!! Stephanie Derrick (The Vocal Doctor)

**
3. Block Party, 2021
"I’m 62 years old black woman. And this song made the little girl in me cried when I heard your song. Hit the core of my soul!

Thank you Mickey from the core of my soul for writing this song❤️

God bless you sister for speaking your (our) Authentic Truth!! Congratulations on CMA making history ❤️❤️❤️🌹🌹🌹"

Peace and Blessings to you

πŸ™πŸ½❤️πŸ™πŸ½

 
**

4. Stephen Anderson, 2021
"As a black southerner I feel this song to my core"

**

5. Kevin Edwards, 2021
"As a black man tears are streaming down my face amazing performance!!!!"

**
6. Ronese Elliott-Lee, 2021
"Mind blown...as a black woman from a small Southern town I feel every word of this. I was one of three black girls in my senior class of 300+. Thank you for this song...true representation for country WOCπŸ–€"
-snip-
"WOC" = Women of Color

**
7. Stephanie ReneΓ© DeRamus, 2021
"As a young woman growing up in Birmingham, Alabama I feel every single syllable of this beautiful but poignant song."

**
8. Morgan Flan, 2021
"Even though I am asian, I really relate to this song because my parents immigrated to this nation under tough circumstances where food was scarce and they had to really hustle just to make it with food and living with a roof over their heads. I hope many people can relate or at least think about other people listening to this song and not sympathize but understand. Being of another color, nationality or ethnicity doesn't mean we want sympathy with some of the inequalities seen. Understand why this is happening and try to be better. This song is just amazing"

**
9. K. C., 2021
"This song describes my childhood perfectly."

**
10. Dacia Smith-Wilkinson, 2021
"I am in tears. There is no other way to said it. I feel this in my soul."

**
11. Maurie T, 2021
"THIS SONG HIT MY SOUL I FELT AND EXPERIENCED EVERY WORD GROWING UP. I came acrossed her video by mistake looking for another country song by a black artist I am a fan of country music my grandmother a black woman introduced it to me at a very young age, I grew up listening to all genres of music. I was raised in a small town called Maumee Ohio in the early 80s there were literally hand full of black families in this middle class small town. My mother College educated worked at the hospitall in ER my step dad worked at one of the big 3. They worked so hard to give us the best, but their best still did NOT STOP the racial hate and microagression I felt and experienced growing up, it was humiliating demeaning and to a small child it shook my self esteem. It took me to get older to realize that for most their hate was jealousy. I was a beautiful, well mannered and spoken brown girl whose parents worked twice as hard to ensure I stood out, and boy did I. My standing out was not of materialistic items but my whole demeanor my persona, my mother instilled in me a sunshine that still to this day when I walk in a room shines bright, yet being taught to stay humble. I love this song so much meaning. πŸ₯°"

**
12. Richard Simon, 2021
"I'm a middle aged white dude and this song literally brought tears to my eyes, the pain, the want to fit in and just be regular person. I'm still kind of in my feels so maybe this isn't coming out right. All I know is I felt every note and every word in my soul. I wish nothing but success for her."

**
13. Lessons from A CODA, 2021
"This song should be top of the charts I’m a sign language interpreter working with other language interpreters and this song was referred to me by one of the Vietnamese interpreters and he said this song brought him to tears and he shared the song with me and I started crying too such a beautiful and too real song God Bless you Sweetie such a beautiful voice and a beautiful lady πŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ€ŸπŸΎ❤️"

**
14. MissDa, 2021
"You did such a beautiful job and I’m so glad my daughters were able to watch you last night. Our beautiful black children need to see representation like this. They need to know that there are people that look like them in all job fields, even country singers. ❤️"

**
15. Troy Roepke, 2021
"Besides being miffed that you did not win what you deserved, this was the best performance of the night!!"

**
16. Hasan Kazmi, 2021
"I cried. I'm born in America and my parents are from Pakistan... After 9/11 happened in 5th grade..... I was treated very differently until I learned how to fight back in 9th grade... God ... I love you mickey guyton and I didn't know how much I needed this song and you in my life"

**
17. luvtocraft, 2021
"This was a great performance!!! Such a beautiful voice, this coming from a Mexican that thoroughly enjoys Country Music!!! I will keep an ear out for future recordings!!! 🎢🀠🎡"

**
18. s Mclean, 2021
"I am sitting here crying!!! So True!!!! When Mickey sings, "broke my heart on the playground," I could relate. Just came to this country, my sister and I,  playing by ourselves were taunted by children our age, 8 and 7, and called monkey and coconut that we should go back to Africa (not even from there)."

**
19. Chase Fire, 2021
"Yes!!! Proud to be black like me!!!! LOVE IT!! beautiful ❤️❤️❤️❤️"

**
20. brownsuger jackson, 2021
"Love this song and it's 100% true. " If you think we live in the land of the free you should try to be black like me" being black is an experience like no other. From being followed in clothing stores..police brutality. Not being hired because of your black..denied housing.and being shot and killed jogging in a neighborhood"

**
21. Melani Tremblay, 2022
"OMG - what a beautiful and griping expression of what it is to be black - I grew up in Canada (Toronto) where every colour, race and culture is everywhere yet there is still racism - thank you, Mickey, for writing such an awaking song - I pray we will all open our hearts to hear and make changes."

**
22. Mendy Tea, 2022
"Hello Ms. Guyton.  After hearing your beautiful performance at the Superbowl on yesterday and hearing how they got you mixed up with someone else I thought I would look you up.  I stumbled on one of your songs "Black Like Me" and it too, was moving.  I'm sorry I'm just hearing about you - but I'm glad to know someone "like me" is on stage singing songs that inspire.  So glad to see and hear you!  Gonna share this song with my family and make sure they know you too!  Keep up the good work!!!"
-snip-
Reading this article is how I learned about Mickey Guyton: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nbc-apologizes-for-mixing-up-mickey-guyton-and-jhen%C3%A9-aiko-during-super-bowl-preshow_n_620a99e9e4b03230246ea198 "NBC Apologizes For Mixing Up Mickey Guyton And JhenΓ© Aiko During Super Bowl Preshow"

The network angered many fans online by briefly misidentifying breakout country singer Guyton as Aiko during the broadcast.

By Cole Delbyck, 02/14/2022 

****
Discussion thread #2 From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAhhS1Ql4s&ab_channel=MickeyGuytonVEVO [This is the video that is embedded in Part I of this pancocojams series.]

1. BobbyCatsKitten, 2020
"My ten year old “ I know what it means mom.. I know what this song means.”

May it gives her strength and courage to never give up.

Beautiful song! 🎼“Proud to be black like me!”🎼♥️♥️♥️🎼♥️♥️🎼"

**
2. Dark Soul, 2020
"In a way, my family can relate to this song. I have 3 grown kids. My two older ones are half cherokee. My daughter, the oldest of the three, is beautiful and doesn't get treated any differently than anyone else. My oldest son on the other hand is a different story. He looks like his father. As a child, he would get bullied and teased. His son looks just like him. Sad to say, he too is bullied. He's a sweet kid and kind to everyone. This song is a powerful one and it's time for all this hatred against each other to end. Skin is just the cover for what lies within. If we all were the same color, what a boring place this would be. What really matters isn't on the outside, it's what's on the inside. I absolutely love this powerful song. It's sung by a beautiful young woman with an amazing and beautiful voice. Brings tears to this grandma's eyes every time. Much love and respect Ms Mickey."

**
3. Claire Boyle, 2020
"This voice is amazing. I wish country music would start recognizing her more. This is akin to any other song addressing social issues. I love her. She's awesome. I admit was sad listening to this. But it's a beautiful song!"

**
4. ThirdEye Babe, 2020
"wow incredible talent and incredibly powerful song! I’ve never really been a fan of country... I respect it, but it’s not my preference, but It is my hope that this will play on ALL the country stations across North America and the world and it may start teaching people about tolerance, equality & compassion. It’s about time we see a black woman in country music. She has much on her shoulders but I’m so glad she is using her god given talent to spread her and her communities message!"

**
5. Constance Jackson, 2020
"My sister just sent me this song. Although I already always knew how she felt.... She & our whole family know exactly the truth within these lyric's πŸ’―πŸ’œ✝"

*️*
6. TARA's LOCAL InSPIRATION, 2020
"Amazing song. It reminds me so much of my childhood. A black girl growing up in a low income neighborhood. My mom would enroll me in things that weren't available to us in our area. I hated every bit of. It would always be so far away in upperclass white population areas. She would make my dad or anyone she could get to drop me off. I believe she thought that she was showing me better. I would always be the only black girl. Girl Scouts, I was the poor black girl. None of the white girls would even talk to me. They would talk and laugh with each other. Gymnastics, I was the poor black girl, the same thing, the white girls wouldn't even look my way. I remember practicing on the balance beam. Once I got on, no one else would use it. Tap dancing, the same thing. I could have excelled in all of those but I would fail miserably on purpose until my mom would stop making me go. Because I felt so alone and unwanted. The instructors wouldn't even include me or encourage the other girls to talk to me. They always made me feel that I didn't belong. It seemed like punishment to me for my mom to keep sending me to those places. I would imitate how the white girls talked when I got home. So the only thing I really learned was how to talk "white like them". It proved to be beneficial for me later in life. This song is beautiful but it just reminds me of such sad and lonely times in my life."

**
Reply
7. SUSAN BILYEU, 2020
"I am so sorry that you had to go through that. You experienced the backlash for your skin color as well as your socioeconomic status. Your mom wanted to expose you and give you opportunities that she did not have. It is  unfortunate that these activities were only white and being the only one is profoundly isolating.  I have been there too."

**
8. god gamer56, 2020
"Im a mother of a mixed child   lord knows it hurts my soul to think of his going threw  what he's going to face just because the color of his skin  ... bless you mickey πŸ™"

**
Reply
9. Crab of Chaos, 2020
"Same here. I look at my son and feel sooo many things. Pride and fear. Its past time we made a change for the better and our children will make it happen. πŸ–€❤πŸ–€"

**

10. Elaine Mesa-Jones, 2020
"I SO SOOOOOO SOOOOOO LOVE THIS SONG 🎡 can't stop CRYING‼️‼️‼️‼️its soooooo TRUE πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”"

**
11. Kimbo Slice, 2020
"I discovered country music in 2012... loved Lady Antebellum, Luke Bryan to name a few... As time went on, I began to wonder why there were never any girls in the videos that looked like me? I never saw any black girls singing the songs or being the love interests in videos. I could go a whole day watching CMT without seeing a single black person.  It made me feel insignificant as a lover of country music, and for lack of a better word, insecure about the level of reciprocity between black people and the world of country music. So, I  stopped listening it; little by little I pulled myself away from it. I don't think I have listened to a country song or watched a country video in at least 5 years. It wasn't until today upon reading an article online about black women in country music that I even discovered Mickey existed. My biggest thanks to all the people instrumental in posting this video, aiding in her career, and getting her name out there because hers is a voice that needs to be heard. She is a terrific singer, this is a beautiful song, and I can't wait to discover more of her music!"

**
12. Tee Jay, 2020
"πŸ™πŸ½...Mickey I'm all grown up not much has changed...

  Being bi-racial isn't easy πŸ™πŸ½

Thank you for sharing your feelings within your talent of music and song....

    #Mickey#Black#Girl#Magic"

**
13. Nicole Burns, 2020
"I know I'm the furthest thing to be able to relate to this song but I can't help but belt it out loud. Just a phenomenal song!"

**
Reply
14. Hugh Manne, 2020
"Nicole, If you feel it, belt it out.  Sympathy and compassion are great places for music and singing to come from."

**
Reply
15. SNL, 2020
"Nicole. Sing it!"

**
Reply
16. Nicole Burns, 2020
"Thanks guys. I was belting it out the other day and my teenage son came out wanting to know why i was singing this song so I had him sit down and listen to the lyrics and I caught him singing it in his bedroom when he thought i couldn't hear him lol πŸ˜†"

**
Reply
17. Nurse Cato RN, 2020
"Sing girl!  Music is a universal language & Mickey’s voice is  πŸ’Ž"

**
Reply
18. Louis Long, 2020
"Maybe we can't exactly relate,  but every time I see a black person I care about deal with something racist,  it hurts me too. Sometimes I'm more upset and they say it's not worth  getting mad over.  It's sad that black people get that "used" to it."

**
Reply
19. Jalen Wesley, 2021
"No you’re supposed to relate to it, you don’t have to live through something to have empathy"

**
Reply
20. Nicole Burns, 2021
"@Jalen Wesley  I have seen my friends and family if different pigment be called names and treated differently and although I have spoken up on their behalf and made a fuss over the disgusting behavior bestowed upon them merely because of skin tone...I still can't 100% understand what they go through. I can empathize and imagine but I will never be able to truly understand. I have been a huge fan of Mickey's for years and I'm just so excited shes getting the recognition she deserves. Played this song again tonight and I just love it."

**
21. Maestro Curtis, 2020
"you go sister! This song speaks to my pain, my anger, my joy, my tears, my cells, my atoms and my subatomic self ! Well said!!!!!!!!"

**
22. Daniel Mejia, 2020
"This song is so deep i just hope by the time my kids are adults things are better than now"

**
23. Mo B, 2020
"Lady, you sang my life in this song."

**
24. Curtrina Talbert, 2020
"This is some good story telling here. I rarely listen to country music, but this is some good writing and singing. I think many can relate even if they don't want too."

**
25. b kelly, 2020
"Nope, its funny how people think this racist song is acceptable. People of all races and etc. can live of a street with white picket fences.  Stop the racist crap and the poor me attitude.  I know a lot of people of different races that are successful, accepted that live on the same street as me.  In order to be accepted, you must learn to accept yourself and stop blaming others"

**
Reply
26. Milton Thomas, 2020
"Nothing racist going on here. Great that you know people of different races :)- i don’t even know why I’m commenting because it is obvious you won’t get it. POC have not been given the same chances as others, have you ever heard of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation."

**
27. ️Kiia bath & body, 2021
"Being a black woman who loves country music and who also lives in Nashville I'm so glad to finally see someone whose "Black Like Me " ❤❤"

**
28. Cathy King, 2021
"BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL SONG!!  MICKEY Girl YOU can SAAANNGGG!!!! I love it when you said your Dad had to work twice as hard which is the story of BLACK FOLKS!! We always got to work so much harder and it it not fair at ALL!!  I will be buying and following you my sistah!!"

**
29. Andrew, 2021
"FΓ©licitations from France on your Grammy nomination πŸŽ―πŸ™πŸ».  Your lyrics and courage in 2021 are what Joan Baez were to the 60's. Brava ! And I love your voice πŸ’₯πŸ”₯"

**
30. Laura Blystone, 2021
"You can feel the emotion when she sings. Always gives me goose bumps. <3"

**
31. Alan Hope, 2021
"I’m white, and I grew up poor. But I had black friends who were wealthy, and had parents who could afford to send them to college. I had to fight for everything I have. I’m successful, but my road was definitely harder than some black people I know.

She’s mocking “the land of the free,” when there’s NOTHING stopping her from being whatever she wants to be. I call bs."

**
32. 
Mary Battle, 2021
"Wow, this song is so powerful, especially coming from different perspectives. I always felt that I didn't belong because of my racial heritage. I wasn't black enough and I definitely was not accepted into my own white family, with the exception of my father, his sister, and my cousin Ricky. I am thankful to God for carrying me through my entire life, because race matters everyday if you are black like me!"

**
33. Reb Boos, 2021
"You've touched my heart and soul. All summer I was the only black kid in a small Midwest town. It still hurts, but my Grandparents protected me and loved me so much. I miss them"

**
34. Dennis Clark, 2021
"Wow as a black man growing up in the 1960's and 70's listening to Hank , Patsy and all the great artists of that time. I thank my uncles from the South for giving me the gift of Country music. And I thank all the African Americans who preformed Country music. So proud of you Mickey Guyton."

**
35. K Cotton, 2022
"wow...thoughtful lyrics, and I love the vulnerability in her voice, which says, I don't want pity; what I want is understanding/ compassion; her voice, also speaks determination to experience unity..."

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment