Translate

Thursday, January 6, 2022

First Baptist Church of Glenarden Male Chorus -"Jesus Be a Fence Around Me" (video, lyrics, and comments)



Inside FBCG, Sept. 1, 2012

First Baptist Church of Glenarden

Pastor John K. Jenkins Sr.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post presents information about the Soul Stirrers and showcases their now classic 1961 Gospel song "Jesus Be A Fence".

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composer of this song and thanks to the First Baptist Church of Glenarden Male Chorus for this rendition of this Gospel song. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to Inside FBCG for publishing this video on YouTube.
-snip-
Click 
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-soul-stirrers-sam-cooke-soloist.html for the 2019 pancocojams post entitled "The Soul Stirrers (Sam Cooke, soloist) - "Jesus Be A Fence All Around Me" (information, sound file, & lyrics).

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/10/fred-hammond-radical-for-christ-jesus.html

 for a 2019 pancocojams post that showcases Fred Hammond & Radical For Christ's 1999 rendition of "Jesus Be A Fence".

****
LYRICS - JESUS BE A FENCE ALL AROUND ME
(Sam Cooke?)*

[Soloist]
I wonder
Is there anybody here
who late at midnight
sheds briny tears
all because you didn't have
no one to help you
along the way
and oh Lord

And if there is anyone
Lord, let me tell you,
let me tell you what I've done
I've ask Jesus
to be a fence around me
and protect me everyday

I told Him

[Chorus]
Jesus be a fence all around me
Jesus to protect me
as I travel on my way

Jesus be a fence all around me
Jesus to protect me
as I travel on my way

Soloist: Oh, sometimes it will hurt to your heart
to see loved one, to see loved one to depart
But oh children, death, death is no stranger
to anyone
and oh Lord

But just the Lord as you stay in the fold
you never have to worry
when death knocks on your door
Just ask Jesus to be a fence around you
and you never have to worry anymore
Just bow down
So oh...

[Chorus]
Jesus be a fence all around me
Jesus to protect me
as I travel on my way

Jesus be a fence all around me
Jesus to protect me
as I travel on my way
-snip-
*I transcribed the basic lyrics for this song from a sound file of the Soul Stirrer's rendition with Sam Cooke as the soloist  (without most of the soloist's embellishments). Additions and corrections are welcome.

 http://www.allgospellyrics.com/?sec=listing&lyricid=290 indicates that Sam Cooke wrote "Jesus Be A Fence", but the lyrics that website gives for this song aren't the same ones that are sung in the sound file that's embedded in the pancocojams post of that song

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-soul-stirrers-sam-cooke-soloist.html

Was Sam Cooke really the composer of "Jesus Be A Fence? And, if not, who was the composer of that now classic Gospel song? If you know the answers to these questions, please share them in the comment section below. Thanks!
-snip-
The lyrics that First Baptist Church of Glenarden's Male Chorus sung are given as captions in that embedded video.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRHcyT6YSE&ab_channel=InsideFBCG  

Numbers are added for referencing purpose only

1. dahliah mermaids, 2017
"seeing all  these black men praising the Lord brought tears to my eyes"

**
Reply
2. Tay Raw, 2019
"Amen"

**
3. conchetta m, 2018
"WE USE 2 SING THIS IN OUR CHURCH!!1980's🎢🎼SING IT!!!🎼🎢2018πŸ’“πŸ’•AMENπŸ’–πŸ’žπŸ’“"

**
4. james jones, 2021
"AWESOME! Nothing else needs to be said."

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment