Translate

Friday, November 19, 2021

Astrology (Zodiac) Signs Mentioned In Foot Stomping Cheers (Part I: Numbers - I)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a four part series that provides an alphabetized list of text (word only) examples of foot stomping cheers that mention zodiac (astrological) signs. I'm referring to this compilation as the "pancocojams (Azizi Powell) collection of foot stomping cheers-zodiac signs".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/11/astrology-zodiac-signs-mentioned-in_19.html for Part II (J - P). of this series.

Click 
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/11/astrology-zodiac-signs-mentioned-in_11.html for Part III (Q - S) of this series.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/11/astrology-zodiac-signs-mentioned-in_24.html for Part IV (T - Z) of this series.

These examples aren't numbered as additional examples may be added if I come across them.

This series is a sub-set of a larger compilation entitled "Foot Stomping Cheers Alphabetical List". Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list.html for Part I of that series. The links to the other part of  that series are included in that post. That post also includes additional notes about the general topic of foot stomping cheers.

Additional information about a specific cheer may be found after that example in its entry in the foot stomping cheer alphabetical list.

Also, click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/05/an-overview-of-foot-stomping-cheers.html for the pancocojams post entitled "
An Overview Of Foot Stomping Cheers (Part I- Characteristic & Sources)".

****
A DEFINITION AND A BRIEF HISTORY OF FOOT STOMPING CHEERS 
"Foot stomping cheers" is a relatively new category of children's recreational play that involves chanting and choreographed foot and hand clapping movements. The earliest documentation of these types of cheerleader cheers is the 1978 vinyl record entitled Old Mother Hippletoe, Rural and Urban Children's Songs. That record included four children's cheers, two of which I'd categorize as foot stomping cheers. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/11/an-overview-of-foot-stomping-cheers.htmfor more information about the cheers on that vinyl album.

This pancocojams collection includes examples of foot stomping cheers from my direct (face to face) collection in the mid 1980s to around 2008, from the Old Mother Hippletoe, Rural and Urban Children's Songs, from several books on African American children's culture, from online sources including YouTube videos and their discussion threads (when comments to children's videos were allowed).,and from my no longer active cultural website cocojams.com. I also found examples of this subset of children's cheers on other websites and blogs, particularly those which cater/ed to African Americans such as discussion threads where that were dedicated to members of historically Black Greek letter sororities, and lipstick alley.com discussion threads.

The scarity of post 2009 text examples and the lack of recent online references to these cheers leads me to believe that foot stomping cheers are rarely if ever performed anymore. Unfortunately, I can't find any YouTube videos of the performance of foot stomping cheers (and not just the chanting of some of those cheers) as I recall them from the 1980s, 1990s, and the early 2000s. The few videos that I embedded on some old pancocojams posts are no longer available.  

I coined the term "foot stomping cheers" in 2000 for this sub-set of children's cheerleader cheers that have distinctive textual structures and distinctive performance styles. The term "foot stomping cheers" distinguishes examples of that category from other cheerleader cheers. However, these compositions appear to usually be referred to as "rhymes", "cheers". "chants", steps", or "stomps".

A good example of the percussive 4/4 beat that is used for foot stomping cheers is the Pop song "We Will Rock You" by Queen. Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk&ab_channel=QueenOfficial for a sound file of that song. 

****
WHY THERE ARE REFERENCES TO ASTROLOGY IN CHILDREN'S CHEERS
Astrology was really popular in the 1970s to the late 1990s- the relatively brief period of time in the United States when a number of African American (and sometimes other ethnicity/race) girls performed foot stomping cheers. Astrology's popularity during that time is reflected in the number of references to that subject in various Rhythm & Blues records. Some of those songs are the direct source for specific children's cheers. Other R&B songs which mention/ed sun sign astrology just help/ed to familiarize children with that form of astrology.

Here's an excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_sign_astrology:
"Sun sign astrology is the form of astrology most commonly found in many newspaper and magazine columns. It is a simplified system of astrology which considers only the position of the Sun, which is said to be placed within one of the twelve zodiac signs depending on the month of birth. This sign is then called the sun sign or star sign of the person born that month."
-end of quote-

Astrology (Zodiac) references in children's cheers are almost always "sun sign" references. Since sun signs purportedly provide information about an individual's personality, telling someone your sun sign is a quick way of sharing introductory information.   

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2011/10/six-african-american-records-that.html to find a post entitled "Astrology In African American Records".

****
NOTES ABOUT THESE EXAMPLES  
These examples are presented in alphabetical order based on the first number or the first letter of the first letter of the first word. 

The source (i.e. book, direct collection, or website) is given below the example along with demographic information and/or comments.

The numbers fthat are given below for the versions of a specific cheer in this serie may not be the same as the numbers for that cheer in the Pancocojams Foot Stomping Cheers Alphabetical List compilation.

****
EXAMPLES: NUMBERS - I

CHEERLEADER
All: Cheer.
Leader.
Roll.
Call.
Are you ready?
Soloist #1: Shayla.
They call me Rosa.
Soloist #2: Shana.
They call me Poo.
Soloist #3: Shana.
They call me Shay.
Soloist #4: Jamie.
They call me Jay Jay.
Soloist #5: Jackie.
They call me HaJack .

All: Cheer.
Leader.
Zodiac signs.
Soloist #1: Aquarius.
That’s a dog.*
Soloist #2: Cancer.
That’s a crab.
Soloist #3: Leo.
That’s a lion.*
Soloist #4: Scorpio.
That’s a spider.*
Soloist #5: Scorpio.
That’s a spider.*

All: Cheer.
Leader.
Phone.
Numbers.
Are you ready?
Soloist #1: 348-5110.**
Group: Always busy.
Soloist #2: 348-4554.**
Group: Always busy.
Soloist #3: 348-3322**
Group: Always busy.
Soloist #4: 348-5779**
Group: Always busy.
Soloist #5: 348-4285**
Group: Always busy.
-Shayla, Shana, Shana, Jamie, and Jackie {African American females about 10 years-12 years old}, Braddock, PA; 1985; collected by Azizi Powell, 1985 (transcription of audio tape recording)

*The symbols for Aquarius, Leo, and Scorpio are incorrect.

**These telephone numbers are incorrect to protect the privacy of these girls.  Notice that this was before telephone numbers in Pennsylvania (and elsewhere in the USA) had area codes. The line "Always busy" documents that this was before the telephone "call waiting" feature. If you were talking on the phone when someone called you, that person would get a "busy" signal (a buzzing sound). Therefore the "Always busy" words imply that the person was popular (particularly with boys).
  
****
CHECK
Soloist: My name is Shelly
Others: Check
Soloist: They call me Shell
Others: Check
My horoscope is Aquarius
Others: Aquarius
Soloist: If you don't like
Others: Check
Soloist: Without a dial*
Others: Check
Soloist: Just call my number
and check me out.
Others: Check her out
Soloist: Cause I am fine.**
My number is 222-888***
Others: Check
Soloist: That fellow is mine 
Cause I know how to skate
Others: Well alright
Well alright
-Shelly H. (African American female, Cleveland, Ohio, mid 1980s), transcribed by Azizi Powell, May 2007

Repeat cheer from the beginning with the next soloist. That soloist says her name & nickname, and gives her astrological sun sign ("horoscope") and her phone number. In the " I like to ___" line, that soloist indicates what she is good at doing ("sing", "dance", "draw"). This pattern continues with the next soloist until everyone has had one turn as the soloist

 "Check" here means something like "Ok" or "That's Right".

 * "If you don't like without a dial" probably means "If you don't like it without a doubt"

** The word "fine" and the word "mine" are elongated and sung.

*** This isn't Shelly H's real telephone number.  

****

HOLLYWOOD SWINGING
All: Hollywood goes swinging.
Swinging for the good times.
Swinging for the bad times
Soloist #1: My name is Ebony.
(And) I’m cool and the gang.
You mess with me
and I’ll do my thang.
My sign is Libra
and that’s alright
cause all Libra’s
are out of sight.
All:
Hey you,
check it out!
You! You!
Check it out!
-T. M. P., (African American female);Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, mid 1980s; transcribed from audio tape by Azizi Powell, 1996 
-snip-
The line "I'm cool and the gang" is rather interesting because Kool & The Gang was the Pop group that recorded the hit song "Hollywood Swinging" in 1973. However, those chanting that line may think that phrase means the slang definition of "cool" (hip, up to date with the latest street culture).

It also should be noted that the tune of foot stomping cheers (and other playground cheers & rhymes) that are based on Pop recordings, R&B recordings, or songs from other genres, are usually similar to the tune of those recordings/songs.

****
HOLLYWOOD IN MY SWINGING 
Tee Hee Hee... [laughing]

we had a similar one...

Hollywood in my swinging...hollywood in my swingin
hollywood in my swinging...hollywood in my swingin


My name is Goddess! and I'm Kool and the Gang..
and if you don't like it let me tell you one thang...
my sign is a scorpio and that's alright
cus all scorpios are dynomite!

homegirls: uh! she think she bad
me: hush honey I know I'm bad

Homegirls: uh! she think she cool
me: cool enough to steal your dude

homegirls: uh! she think she fine
me: fine enough to blow your mind

homegirls: aw girl stop that lyin
me: at least my man didn't leave me crying

 

(repeat until everyone gets a turn)
-Goddess, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers, 9/18/2006

**** 

HUMPTY DUMPTY 

Pancocojams Editor's Note:
This is an excerpt from the 2016 book Yo Mama Mary Mack and Boudreaux and Thibodeaux: Louisiana Children's Folklore and Play by Jeanne Pitre Soileau, Gregory is a 14 year old African American boy who is one of the teenagers who was "babysitting" a group of younger African American girls and boys during a St. Joan Of The Arc church bingo game on August 20, 1979 in New Orleans*, Louisiana.

 Jeanne Pitre writes that Gregory heard a six year old girl reciting a rhyme that ended with the word "ass" and tried to stop her from saying that word. However, the girl continued reciting and said that word. Jeam Pitre writes that "Gregory then raises his voice and forcefully initiates the game “Humpty Dumpty”, partly to cover up what he perceives to be a gaffe.  The older girls, after hesitation and some false starts join with him”.

The following excerpt (including the words in brackets)  is quoted from pages 51-52 in that book.

* "New Orleans" isn't specifically mentioned on those pages. There is a "Joan Of Arc church in New Orleans and in certain other Louisiana cities. However, Jean Pitre is from "New Orleans" and most of her forty years of collection children's folk material is in New Orleans.

 "Hump---ty dump dump dump

 My name is April [Single player steps forward and sings and dances. Other players imitate her moves.]

Hump---ty dump dump dump.

And I’m fine.

Hump---ty dump dump dump.

Just like my sign.

Hump---ty dump dump dump

My sign is Capricorn

Hump---ty dump dump dump

Now check me out.

Oh oh oh Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

Hump---ty dump dump dump

Now you do it [Points to Gregory]

My name is Gregory [Gregory claps and steps forward. All the players imitate him except for one girl who vies with him for the floor. She can be heard saying all the words to the chant along with Gregory, and shouts out the name of her sign, “Leo” louder than he can say his.]

Hump---ty dump dump dump.

And I’m fine.

Hump---ty dump dump dump.

Just like my sign.

Hump---ty dump dump dump

My sign is Leo [The girl, her eyes gleaming, outshouts Gregory here. Everybody laughs. Gregory yields center place, steps back and claps his hands along with the girls in the group. The girl takes his place.

Hump---ty dump dump dump.

Bad BAD Leo [Girl looks at Gregory.]

Hump---ty dump dump dump.

Now check me out [Girl does a little wiggly walk, head held high.]

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

Hump---ty dump dump dump


Gregory feels part of the play now. He struts forward, and the noisy crowd he formerly vied with is now rhythmically clapping hands, listening. So he offers “I know another one…”And the girls, filling their eyes at each other, defer to him.

“My name is Gregory

Hump---ty dump dump dump

My sign is Pisces

Hump---ty dump dump dump

My my Pisces [Does an intricate step. All laugh and repeat the step.]

Hump---ty dump dump dump

And I know it [Gives the girls a leer.  Girls laugh, leer back, and follow his steps.]

Hump---ty dump dump dump

And I’m FINE [Gregory struts in a circle, girls follow.]

Hump---ty dump dump dump

And I ain’t lyin’ [Girls clap and laugh and eye-tease the girl who challenged Gregory earlier].

One small girl, about six, says breathlessly. “An’ we know you the man!.”

Hump---ty dump dump dump [Gregory and the other players break up laughing and clapping.]"

 -snip-
Shortly after that passage of that passage of that book the author, Jean Pitre,  wrote that “Humpty Dumpty” is a girl’s game”.

 While I believe that this 1979 "Humpty Dumpty" game is an example of what I call a foot stomping cheer, Jean Pitre doesn't refer to "Humpty Dump" as a cheer. I reached that conclusion because

1. She wrote that "Humpty Dump" is a girl's game.

2. She mentiones girls clapping while they say the words to "Humpty Dump" and also mentions Gregory strutting around a circle. Some people performed foot stomping cheers in a circle.

3. She mentions other people taking the place of the person singing.

4. The words for that example are very similar to the words for other examples of "Humpty Dump"/"Humpty Danda" that I've collected, including references to a person's astrological sign.

5. The line "Check me out" and other confrontational words in that 1979 example are found in a number of  foot stomping cheers, including this 1976 cheer that is poart of "Hollywood Now Swingin'/Dynomite" (included in the 1978 vinyl record Old Mother Hippletoe, Rural and Urban Children's Songs http://www.newworldrecords.org/linernotes/80291.pdf )

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Version #1)
Group except soloist: Hey, Shaquala!
Soloist #1: Yo! *
Group except soloist: Innn-TRO-duce yourself.
Soloist #1: No way.
Group except soloist: Innn-TRO-duce yourself.
Soloist #1: Okay.
My name’s Shaquala.
Group except soloist: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: They call me Quala.
Group except soloist: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: My sign is Aries
Group except soloist: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: I like to dance
Group except soloist: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: I wanna be a dancer for the rest of my life.

Repeat the entire cheer from the beginning with the next soloist. Each soloist substitutes her identifying information for the same categories (name, nickname, astrological sign, what she likes to do). The cheer continues from the beginning until every member of the group has had one turn as soloist.
-Tazi M. Powell.(African American female); Pittsburgh, PA mid 1980s; transcribed from an audio tape by Azizi Powell, 1996

 ****

INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Version #2)
Introduce yourself
to shy
introduce yourself
I try
my name (say your name)
yeah
I cheer for (say who you cheer for)
my sign is (say your sign)
and when I'm up I'm hot stuff
And when I'm down don't mess around
and when I'm me don't scream or shout or you'll get knocked out!
-De'ajaih; (African American girl); Garfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania); 5/16/2006

****

This concludes Part I of this four part pancocojams series on astrology signs in foot stomping cheers.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams. 

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment