Translate

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

(Igbo recording artist and producer) Larry Gaaga - "Egedege" (YouTube video with Igbo lyrics & English translation/explanations)



Larry Gaaga, Oct. 22, 2021

Music video by Larry Gaaga performing 'Egedege' — featuring Queen Theresa, Flavour & Phyno. -snip- This video is an updated version of a classic Igbo Egedege song & dance entitled "Ijele".

Statistics from October 26, 2021 at around 10:16 PM ET
Total # of views - 
1,161,681
Total # of likes - 46K
Toal # of dislikes - 651
Total # of comments - 6,706

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series about the Igbo music and dance form known as "Egedege".

This post showcases Larry Gaaga's 2021 YouTube video entitled "Egedege" and includes general information about Larry Gaaga, 
Pete Edochie, Theresa Onuorah, Flavour & Phyno. This post also presents general information about about Egedege and about Ijele.

Lyrics for that song with an English translation and some explanations are also given in this post. That transcription, translation, and notes were posted in the discussion thread of that YouTube video on October 24, 2021 by
Mr Xpression.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/10/five-youtube-videos-of-igbo-egedege.html for Part II of this pancocojams series provides information about Egedege and showcases five videos of that Igbo dance and music form.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/10/igbos-memories-of-theresa-onuorah.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. That post presents some YouTube discussion thread comments from Igbos about Egedege music and dances. 

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Larry Gaaga, 
Pete Edochie, Theresa Onuorah, Flavour & Phyno for their musical legacies. Thanks to all others who are featured in this video and thanks to Mr Xpression for posting a transcription with an English translation and explanation in that video's discussion thread.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT LARRY GAAGA
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Gaaga
"Larry Ndianefo, professionally known as Larry Gaaga, is a Nigerian songwriter, recording artist, music producer, and record label executive. He gained fame with the success of ‘Gaaga Shuffle’, a song he performed alongside Innocent ‘2Baba’ Idibia"..

INFORMATION ABOUT PETE EDOCHIE
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Edochie
Chief Pete Edochie, MON (born March 7, 1947)[1][2] is a Nigerian actor. Edochie is considered one of Africa’s most talented actors, being honored with an Industry Merit Award by Africa Magic and Lifetime Achievement by Africa Film Academy[3] Although a seasoned administrator and broadcaster,[4] he came into prominence in the 1980s when he played the lead role of Okonkwo in an NTA adaptation of Chinua Achebe’s all-time best selling novel, Things Fall Apart. Edochie descends from the Igbo people of Nigeria and is a Catholic"...

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THERESA ONUORAH
From https://dnbstories.com/2021/10/who-is-theresa-onuorah-the-queen-of-egedege-music-in-igboland.html, Oct. 23, 2021 [no author cited]
"Theresa Onuorah is a popular Igbo highlife musician from Anambra State. She is a big custodian of the “Egwu Egedege” genre of Igbo traditional music.

[...]

Theresah Onuorah was born in Unubi, Nnewi South, Anambra State in the 60s....

Theresa Onuorah started singing at a young age and would later form her Egedege troop and together they toured several parts of Eastern Nigeria and beyond."...

****
INFORMATION ABOUT EGEDEGE
From https://dnbstories.com/2021/10/who-is-theresa-onuorah-the-queen-of-egedege-music-in-igboland.html, Oct. 23, 2021 [no author cited]

..."What is Egedege music?

Egedege is a sub-genre of Igbo highlife music. The Egedege sound is known for its use of the oja (flute) and drums and ichaka to create danceable music...

Egedege music was very popular in Anambra State from the 70s to the 90s, and not just for the mesmerizing sound but also for the elaborate Egedege dance.

Egedege is not just a music genre but also encompasses a structured category of dance.

The Egedege dance is particularly known for its high energy and leg intensity. Dancers who are mostly male wear elaborate costumes and face paintings, sometimes intentionally given a feminine touch.

Egedege performers are invited to big occasions like weddings or the funeral of a wealthy individual to perform. Egedege dancers who are mostly boys would leave home and not return for days till the occasions they were booked are over."... 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT IJELE MASQUERADE
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijele_Masquerade  
"Ijele Masquerade, known as the biggest Masquerade in Sub-Saharan Africa, is a tradition of the Igbo people of Nigeria and was listed in the UNESCO Archives as an intangible cultural element in need of urgent safeguarding. In many communities in the state of Anambra in South-Eastern Nigeria, celebrations, burial ceremonies and other special occasions during the dry season to evoke fertility and a bountiful harvest feature the performance of the Ijele masquerade."...

****
LYRICS - EGEDEGE VIDEO*
(by Larry Gaaga, Pete Edochie, Theresa Onuorah, Flavour & Phynol)

Mr Xpression, Oct. 24, 2021
"This song was sang in Igbo, a language majorly spoken in South Eastern Nigeria. Here’s the interpretation of the lyrics in English.

INTRO

Onye obula omenala Igbo na agu agulu, na ato uto = Anyone that is interested in the Igbo culture and enjoys it

Ya gekene egwu a = Should listen to this song

Oburu na ị ga ekulioto gba ya, isolu gba = If you will stand up and dance to it, then dance

Oburu na ị ga nọdụ ala na ekwe n'isi, omagbuo onwe ya = If you will sit down and nod your head to it, better still

Maaster! = [this is a credit to Masterkraft, the producer]

Larry Gaaga!

CHORUS

Ijele eruwegonu muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = It’s almost time for the Ijele dance, who will I dance with?

Obudu muna onye ga agba egwu o? = Who will I even dance with?

Muna onye ga agba egwu mu na Ijele mu na eru eh? = Who will do my dance with me, it’s almost time for the Ijele dance?

Theresa Onuorah na o mu na ekwu o = It is I, Theresa Onuorah, that’s speaking

Onyeoma m ji eje mba na Ijele mu na eru ehh = The good person that I’m proud of, my Ijele dance is almost here [“Onyeoma eji eje mba” is a special title given to people in Igboland. It is mostly bestowed on people who are very important - so important that functions or activities may not hold without their presence]

Onye eji mara mba na o mu na agu nwannem o = The ambassador of a nation, I’m the one singing brother  [“Onye eji mara mba” is also a special title given to people in Igboland. It is mostly bestowed on people who are generous and do a lot of humanitarian services]

Akwa unu eruwego nu? Muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = Hope you guys are close by? Who will I dance with? 

Ijele ma ehhhhhh = [musical words]

VERSE 1

ị na-eme guy achọrọ m ịma? (Aiii yoh!) = You’re playing hard-to-get, does it look I care? (musical words)

Ocho nga noko achọrọ m ịma? (Aiii yoh!) = Such a troublesome person, does it look like I care? (musical words)

ị gbagoro gbada achọrọ m ịma? (Aiii yoh!) = Whether you go up or come down, does it look I care? (musical words)

ị chowa ịma ị je na nke Emma (Aiii yoh!) = If you want to know, go to Emma's place [this doesn’t make much sense literally, but Igbos use this phrase regularly because “Ima” which means “to know”, rhymes with the name “Emma” or Emmanuel. The phrase is mostly used as a sarcastic response to questions that are unnecessary and too inquisitive.] (musical words)

Ijele Ndi Igbo anyi aputago egwu (Aiii yoh!) = Ijele of the Igbos, we’ve come out to dance [Ijele is the name of a popular masquerade in Igboland, however it is also Flavour's nickname. Here, Flavour talks about himself.] (musical words)

Ezege Ndi Igbo anyi aputago egwu (Aiii yoh!) = Ezege of the Igbos, we’ve come out to dance [Ezege is Phyno's nickname] (musical words)

Theresa Onuorah na agbalite egwu (Aiii yoh!) = Theresa Onuorah dance more vigorously (musical words)

Larry Gaaga ihewe ejewe eme (E yoh!) = Larry Gaaga the thing is about to happen (musical words)

ị na-eme Ife mee m invite make e sure na ụmụ asa ya-abịa = If you’re having a ceremony and you invite me, make sure that beautiful girls will be there

And ị hazi cha table m dosa bottle men ga ala = And when you’re done decorating my table, keep bottles of drinks that me and my men will drink

ị hangiiia men, malu na apkoaza aya aza = If you treat us badly, then we won’t answer when you call again

Kasala pass m aka, just malu na alert ama ada = if I'm unable to resolve the problem myself, just know that you won’t get a credit alert notification

BRIDGE

Nwa hapu ife akoli = Girl forget what they told you

Bi-nyem egwu ka m boli = Dance with me so I’ll check you out

Anyi-abulu ogbo na m ntoli = We’re not age mates, I’m older than you

Na omaka na m choli? =  Or is it because I want you?

Just maka na I wan jolly = Just because I want to have fun

Osim you’re not the one for me = She told me “you’re not the one for me”

Uncle zaram m mgbe m kpoli =  An Uncle [another word for “sugar daddy”] picked the phone when I called you

Bia gwanu m ife m meli = Come and tell me how I wronged you

CHORUS

Ijele eruwegonu muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = It’s almost time for the Ijele dance, who will I dance with?

Obudu muna onye ga agba egwu o? = Who will I even dance with?

Muna onye ga agba egwu mu na Ijele mu na eru eh? = Who will do my dance with me, it’s almost time for the Ijele dance?

Theresa Onuorah na o mu na ekwu o = It is I, Theresa Onuorah, that’s speaking

Onyeoma m ji eje mba na Ijele mu na eru ehh = The good person that I’m proud of, my Ijele dance is almost here

Onye eji mara mba na o mu na agu nwannem o = The ambassador of a nation, I’m the one singing brother 

Akwa unu eruwego nu? Muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = Hope you guys are close by? Who will I dance with? 

Ijele ma ehhhhhh = [musical words]

VERSE 2

Ai ye ye ye ye ye = [musical words]

Na etelu m egwu = Keep dancing for me

Na agbalu m egwu = Keep dancing for me

Yowaluu m ya = Keep shaking it for me

Gbashashiwa ya = Do the dance energetically

Ashim na etelu m egwu = I say keep dancing for me

Na agbalu m egwu = Keep dancing for me

Chisaluu m ya = Spread it for me

Shashiwa ya = [this word is from an Enugu dialect, and it probably means “dance it”]

ị makwa na ive nkene akaria m aka ehh? (Ejebe ejebe, anaba anaba, evuru ya jebe) = Do you know this is more than I can handle? (When going out or coming back, you take it with you)

ị makwa na nwa nkene emeruo m aru ehh? (Ocha ka omaka, nke gi amaka, ị ma na ị amaka?) = Do you know that this girl has overwhelmed me? (Your complexion makes it look like you’re beautiful, but then you’re actually beautiful, do you know you’re beautiful?)

Otu, abụọ, atọ, anọ, ise, isii, asaa = One, two, three, four, five, six, seven

From Monday luo to Sunday anyị na-eli ife ka o Bazzar = From Monday to Sunday we eat like it’s Bazzar [Bazzar is one of the unique programs of the Catholic church where families come and offer a gift to the Lord from their farm proceeds in a year. During Bazaar, families purchase foods and drinks to eat and there’s a lot of feasting.]

Show the money, buy the bar

M tie lu nwa nọ na bar = I scream loudly because of the babe at the bar

Guy apkochigo m, voice m akpochigo ka mu enwesili catarrh = Brooo.. I can no longer speak properly, my voice is muffled like I have catarrh

BRIDGE

Nwa hapu ife akoli = Girl forget what they told you

Bi-nyem egwu ka m boli = Dance with me so I’ll check you out

Anyi-abulu ogbo na m ntoli = We’re not age mates, I’m older than you

Na omaka na m choli? = Or is it because I want you?

Just maka na I wan jolly = Just because I want to have fun

Osim you’re not the one for me = She told me “you’re not the one for me”

Uncle zaram m mgbe m kpoli =  An Uncle [another word for “sugar daddy”] picked the phone when I called you

Bia gwanu m ife m meli = Come and tell me how I wronged you

CHORUS

Ijele eruwegonu muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = It’s almost time for the Ijele dance, who will I dance with?

Obudu muna onye ga agba egwu o? = Who will I even dance with?

Muna onye ga agba egwu mu na Ijele mu na eru eh? = Who will do my dance with me, it’s almost time for the Ijele dance?

 Theresa Onuorah na o mu na ekwu o = It is I, Theresa Onuorah, that’s speaking

 Onyeoma m ji eje mba na Ijele mu na eru ehh = The good person that I’m proud of, my Ijele dance is almost here

Onye eji mara mba na o mu na agu nwannem o = The ambassador of a nation, I’m the one singing brother

Akwa unu eruwego nu? Muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = Hope you guys are close by? Who will I dance with? 

Larry Gaaga ngi ka egwu na-akpọ = Larry Gaaga it’s you that the dance is calling

Onyeoma m ji eje mba na Ijele mu na eru ehh = The good person that I’m proud of, my Ijele dance is almost here

Ijele Ndi Igbo ka egwu na-akpọ = It’s the Ijele of the Igbo people that the dance is calling [here, Ijele refers to Flavour's nickname]

Flavour nwanne m na Ijele mu na eru ehh = Flavour my brother, it’s almost time for my Ijele dance

Anyi aga apusi na'elu uwa na ego na achi nwannem? = My brother, do we have to leave this world because money rules it?

Ijele eruwegonu muna onye ga agba egwu eh? = The Ijele dance is almost here, who will I dance with?

Igbo zuru ezu ka egwu na-akpọ = It’s the whole Igbo nation that the dance is calling

Ndi oma bia gbaluwa na Ijele mu na eru ehh = Good people, come and dance away because it’s almost time for my Ijele dance

Ezege Ndi Igbo ka egwu na-akpọ = It’s Ezege [Phyno's nickname] of the Igbo people that the dance is calling

Phyno bia nu oh, muna onye ga agba egwu ehh? = Phyno come, who will I dance with?

Ijele ma ehhh = [musical words]

Mix Monster! = [this is a credit to Selebobo, the person who mixed and mastered the song]

OUTRO

Mma onye nwee, ka oji ana aka = What you have is what you flaunt [this is an Igbo proverb]

Ife di nma di nma = What is good is good

Larry Gaaga

Theresa Onuorah na agu egwu egedege = Theresa Onuorah the “Egedege” crooner

 Flavour na Phyno = Flavour and Phyno

Mana ndi banyi si na = But our people use to say

Onye obula na lu onye kalili ya anya na eme gini? = A person who envies someone greater than them, is doing what? 

Ona ekili ya ekili = Is admiring them

Ife eturu ego ya abulu osa = What one can afford is not greed

Ekenem unu = I greet you all!

Afam bu Peter Edochie = My name is Peter Edochie

Ana akpom Ebubedike! = They call me the “Glorious Warrior”



If you found this comment useful, kindly  support me by subscribing to my channel for more interesting content. Thanks. ❤
-snip-
In response to a question, Mr Xpression wrote that it took him five hours to write this. The bold font was used in that transcription/notes.

****
This concludes Part I of this pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment