Translate

Thursday, March 19, 2020

(Country Rap Song) "My Truck" by Breland (Part I - video & lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series on the 2020 Country Rap song "My Truck" by Breland.

Part I showcases the official YouTube video of that song and features the lyrics for that song.

The Addendum to this post provides information about the word "skrr" that is found in Breland's song "My Truck".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/comments-about-people-sounding-black.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II showcases the official video of "My Truck" by Breland and features select comments from that video's discussion thread. Particular attention in this post to comments that express assumptions about people sounding Black or sounding White.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/comments-about-racial-interest-in-music.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. Part III features selected comments from the discussion thread for the official YouTube video of "My Truck" by Breland that express assumptions about race such as the assumption that "Jordans" [athletic shoes] are preferred by Black people, and the assumption that Black people don't sing Country music.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Breland for this song and thanks to all those who are associated with this song and this official video.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Breland - My Truck [Official Music Video]



Breland - Feb 19, 2020
-snip-
Statistics as of March 19, 2020 8:12 AM EDT
Total # of views - 3,796,787
Total # of likes - 65K
Total # of dislikes 2.8K
Total comments -4,192

****
LYRICS: DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK
(Breland)

[Chorus]
You can drink my liquor, you can call my lady
You can take my money, you can smoke my blunt
Scuff these Jordans, you can say you hate me
You can call me crazy, but
Don't touch my truck (Skrrt, skrrt)
Skrrt (Yeah, yeah), skrrt
Don't touch my truck (Brrt, yeah)
Skrrt (Woo-ooh), skrrt
Don't touch my

[Verse 1]
V8 engine with the windows tinted
Boy, we came from the bottom, got it out the mud
Whole block jumpin' 'cause the subs stay hittin'
If they roll up on me, know I keep one tucked (Ooh yeah)

[Pre-Chorus]
Tell them boys come and get me
I be ridin' through the city
Young, rich, and I'm pretty
Homie, don't get it twisted
Keep a semi in the hemi (Ooh)
Red cup full of Henny (Uh)
My hitters come in plenties, for real

[Chorus]
You can drink my liquor, you can call my lady
You can take my money, you can smoke my blunt
Scuff these Jordans, you can say you hate me
You can call me crazy, but
Don't touch my truck (Skrrt, skrrt)
Skrrt (Yeah, yeah), skrrt
Don't touch my truck (Brrt, yeah)
Skrrt (Woo-ooh), skrrt
Don't touch my

[Verse 2]
Woodgrain dash with the matte black finish
And it match my shawty with the big ol' butt
Know them boys soft 'cause they got hard feelings
You can try me if you wanna go and test your luck (Woo)

[Pre-Chorus]
Tell them boys come and get me (Get me)
I be ridin' through the city (Woo)
Young, rich, and I'm pretty (Yeah)
Homie, don't get it twisted (Yeah)
Keep a semi in the hemi (In the hemi)
Red cup full of Henny (Yeah, we drinkin')
My hitters come in plenties, for real

[Chorus]
You can drink my liquor, you can call my lady
You can take my money, you can smoke my blunt
Scuff these Jordans, you can say you hate me
You can call me crazy, but
Don't touch my truck
Skrrt, skrrt
Don't touch my truck
Skrrt, skrrt
Don't touch my truck

[Outro]
Woo, ooh, woo, ooh, woo, ooh
Don't touch my truck (Woo, ooh)
Don't touch my truck


Source: https://genius.com/Breland-my-truck-lyrics

Song Bio from that website
"Breland – a former songwriter for Atlantic Records, now signed as an artist releases his first single. Originally from New Jersey he now resides in Atlanta, GA.

In his first song he presents a country-trap sounding warning to the public about not messing with his truck.

Breland – a former songwriter for Atlantic Records, now signed as an artist releases his first single. Originally from New Jersey he now resides in Atlanta, GA.

In his first song he presents a country-trap sounding warning to the public about not messing with his truck."

****
ADDENDUM- Information About The word "skrrr".
Excerpt #1
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Silas
"Dear Silas Formerly Trey Parker, real name Silas Stapleton III, is a singer, rapper, and trumpeter from Jackson, Mississippi. Raised in a musical family – his father was an alto saxophonist – he began playing the piano at age eight and the trumpet at age 11. While at Bailey High School[1] he began freestyling, and created his first mixtape.

He attended college at the University of Louisiana in Monroe, studying music performance,[2] but left before he graduated in order to pursue his music career. Music also took precedence over a standup comedy act he had developed.

For a time he stylized his stage name as SilaS,[3] before adopting the name Dear Silas.

[...]

Also in October 2018, he signed a record deal with RCA Records, which re-released The Last Cherry Blossom on 26 April 2019.[8]

It was while he and his producer/DJ were working at the Genius Bar at an Apple store in Jackson[9] that they conceived the song "Skrr Skrr." When released in December 2018, it became the No. 1 Viral Record on Spotify, where it was streamed over 2.6 million times in its first two weeks.[10] The song also entered the Top 40 on iTunes' Hip-Hop/Rap chart. He came to further notice in 2019 when a fan-made version of the "Dexter meme" clip was released in which the Dexter's Laboratory cartoon character is made to sing "Skrr Skrr" into a girl's ear.[11] In March Vevo presented DSCVR performances of both "Skrr Skrr" and "Under My Feet.[12]"
-snip-
WARNING: The record "Skrr Skrr" by Dear Silas includes a lot of profanity and sexualized references.

****
Except #2
From https://www.culture-review.co.za/skrr-skrr
Skrr Skrr?
Zimbeni Mphande, February 19, 2019
"skrr is the screeching sound that a car would make if you were driving and suddenly slammed the brakes. According to Urban Dictionary, a South African teen that is heavily influenced by street hip-hop culture and artists such as The Migos and Travis Scott, is sometimes referred to as [a] skrr or skrr skrr. This is because of the sound that can often be heard in their favourite artists’ music or their imitation of these artists. These types of individuals supposedly have dreads, wear lots of jewellery and hang out in urban spaces. Are they misrepresenting American rap culture or – even worse – are they just a figment of our imagination?

Skrr Skrr as a culture
The popular song titled ‘Skrr Skrr’ by American hip hop artist Dear Silas...

‘Skrr Skrr’ made it to the top 40 on ITunes’ Hip Hop/Rap chart. The song was also streamed over 1 million times on both Apple music and Spotify and was named number 1 on Spotify for 12 consecutive days.

Silas said that he was not surprised with the impact the song had on the culture. Besides being extremely catchy, the song serves – rather humorously – as an anthem for members of the Skrr Skrr community. [Pancocojams Editor's note: in South Africa]

Just like any other group of people, skrr skrrs have had to deal with backlash and discrimination from others who can’t quite grasp their nonconformist futurism.

South African skrr skrrs are often ridiculed for their outlandish behaviour when they venture out of their natural habitats. When skrr skrrs visit the more conservative homelands, for example, they are questioned about their behaviour to which a typical response would be “I’m doing it for the culture, fam."

****
This concludes Part I of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment