Translate

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Comments About Racial Interest In Music & Other Racial Preferences (from the discussion thread for the official video of the Country Rap song "My Truck" by Breland)

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest Update: March 22, 2020

This is Part III of a three part pancocojams series on the 2020 Country Rap song "My Truck" by Breland.

Part III showcases the official video of "My Truck" by Breland and features select comments from that video's discussion thread. Particular attention is given to those comments that express assumptions about race such as the assumption that "Jordans" [athletic shoes] are only worn by Black people, and the assumption that Black people don't sing Country music.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/country-rap-song-my-truck-by-breland_92.html for Part I of this series. Part I showcases the official YouTube video of that song and features the lyrics for "My Truck" by Breland.

The Addendum to this post provides information about the word "skrr" that is found in Breland's song "My Truck".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/comments-about-people-sounding-black.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II showcases the official video of "My Truck" by Breland and features select comments from that video's discussion thread. Particular attention in this post to comments that express assumptions about people sounding Black or sounding White.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Breland for this song and thanks to all those who are associated with this song and this official video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Breland - My Truck [Official Music Video]



Breland - Feb 19, 2020

****
SELECTED COMMENTS
Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

Many of these comments express assumptions about race such as the assumption that "Jordans" [athletic shoes] are preferred by Black people, and assumptions that Black people don't perform or listen to Country music.

I am also interested in documenting the use of African American Vernacular English in many of these selected comments, although those terms/phrases aren't highlighted and definitions for those terms/phrases aren't given in this post.

[Update] All of these comments are from Feb. 19 - March 22, 2020.)

1. Breland
How many of y’all did I trick with the intro? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
-snip-
This comment had 5.1K likes and 470 replies as of the March 19, 2020 at 9:59 AM EDT.

**
REPLY
2. Mike Coates
"Didn’t look like the type of guy that would own Jordan’s πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
3. broddrick
"I was about to say billy Ray in this hoe too πŸ˜‚"
-snip-
This comment refers to the (White American) Country music singer Billy Ray Cyrus who joined African American singer Lil Nas X in a remix to "Old Town Road".

**
REPLY
4. Michael Umphlettee
"Lol I was like, I thought he was a black guy?!?! Then you kicked him out the picture and I’s like “THURR THAT BOY RIGHT THURR! HEE HAW!!!” I about dropped that dip out my lip! Anyways I like your twang kid, if you ever need a hand or just good ole support in Ohio I got ya when you roll threw!!! Yee yee!"

**
REPLY
5. Michael Umphlettee
"Oh yeah, and I’m calling this into all the country stations!!! We are gonna end that racist b--lsh-t* they pulled last year on lilnasX. You got my full support even if this is your only country tune, I heard it on"

**
REPLY
6. Use Logic Apply Reason
"Should have called me mane, I would've brought me and my boys, all of us got trucks, from 4 wheels to 18 Wheels!"

**
REPLY
7. ShayF13
"Me! I was like okay white dude is going to be wearing some Jordan boots πŸ˜†"

**
REPLY
8. Nate Oehring
"Lmao you got us with that, but then came in with swag and we were like damn that's what's up!"

**
REPLY
9. Hernameis Kris
"ISSA BOP THO! When you coming out with the choreo?! I'm ready to line dance πŸ€ πŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
REPLY
10. Noah Locklear
"U made it spice bruh I fw this so hard keep doing wat u doing bro ✊🏽"

**
REPLY
11. Ashley Norris
"Lol.. Everybody.. my mouth dropped and everything..🀣🀣 I even blinked my eyes a couple times..lol..
But then you popped like..nah this my song, move over..
❤❤"

**
REPLY
12. Ana Hutchins
"Breland I knew right away. And I LOVE this song! My husband and I each bought the song immediately. Damn, that’s a good song! And yes, we have a big ass truckπŸ˜‰πŸ’—"

**
REPLY
13. Marilyn King
"this is kind of country, but no - the voice didn't fit that guy. Congratulations on this song!"

**
REPLY
14. Jack Beucher
"@Marilyn King bubba look up ryan upchurch colt ford, adam Calhoun, so many artists who brought REAL country music together with REAL rap. I make country rap music, This is a fuggin disgrace to the people who grow up living this lifestyle, and put their whole life into their music. People think its country if your talking about trucks beer and guns but that's not it. It's a whole mentality and a code you live your life by, city folks wouldn't understand."

**
REPLY
15. Jack Beucher
"@Marilyn King and no one who listens to real country music f--ks* with this"
-snip-
*This word is fully spelled out in this comment.

**
REPLY
16. Marilyn King
"@Jack Beucher Hmm. Lot of people enjoy it. :)"

**
REPLY
17. Ethan Garcia
"Try to take this off anything country because it’s not and I hate that this is what people consider as country now"

**
REPLY
18. Darrell Skyy
"Breland πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ definitely wasn’t first guy lol it’s just something that didn’t fit him lolπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ"

**
REPLY
19. MicLuvsA1x
"I was like is he seriously white really? I wish you mad success man it seem like you was having a lot of fun on this video. Always love to see my people shine!"

**
REPLY
20. Sean Valderaz
"White boy talking about Jordan'sπŸ€”... oh wait 🀯"

**
REPLY
21. Bobby Mercer
"I was like who is this cowboy dude talkin bout Js LOL"

**
REPLY
22. Gabriel French
"Yeah country boys dont let you do any of that stuff.you cant touch the blunt,liquor,lady,money,or insult them.trust me i know."

**
REPLY
23. Ty Middleton
"Lol almost, but I was like nah cause I thought the same thing about lil nas x I won't be deceived again. Side note tho...so is Hip Haw a new subgenre in rap now?"

**
REPLY
24. metalfish25
"Were you Black Hillbilly's at This white boy wants to hang with my 19 Ranger on a 3.5 " lift with 20' s \m/"
-snip-
"Were" probably is a typo for "Where"

**
REPLY
25. Justin Taylor
"Breland u got me bruh I was like I thought it was a black guy den boom u push da white guy out da way and killed it"

**
REPLY
26. Shawn Clement
"Actually, I loved the intro as it show that your song can transcend through multiple genres."

**
REPLY
27. RDollars
"I was really lost for a minute. I was thinking πŸ€” Did Billy Ray Cyrus change his name? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
28. Gamerized
"U burnt my house down this song is so fire"

**
REPLY
29. Grant Patterson
"I was like: theres no way this voice lines up with this man hahahah"

**
REPLY
30. Loves Greatness
"Yeah, I was, wait up, that dude ain't the same one in the thumbnail. Congrats for this hit. Country Rap is my favorite genre."

**
REPLY
31. dymonz76134
"You go boy !!!!!!!! See you on the Grammys!!!"

**
REPLY
33. Squrvxy
"For a sec thought u was white lmfao"

**
REPLY
34. Kisha Douglas
"@Jack Beucher bro all you gotta do is stop hatinπŸ’€ you hella lame for hatin on a young artist just cause you old and rusty doesn't mean you gotta be that person."

**
REPLY
35. Jack Beucher
"@Kisha Douglas I'm 21 his music's just trash πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
36. legendary sauce
"Breland I knew you was black from the lyrics I heard you on the radio out in Texas"

**
REPLY
37. Victor Lawson Jr
"you say you can scuff my Jordans but your wearing Nike in the video lol"

**
REPLY
38. Yarumasi
"Probably the greatest way to trick racists into a catchy intro so you got the view count money timer Lmfao"

**
REPLY
39. Nazo’s Kitchen
"That part is the least important to me. Just like the song cause I’m a truck guy."

**
REPLY
40. Ethan Ullah
"Is this supposed to be rap or country or both"

**
REPLY
41. kimmie pie
"Breland almost made me mad low key πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
42. pall mall
"You tricked me with the name lol its actually a cool song !"

**
REPLY
43. Phil Dumon
"Am a brown man from brooklyn newly york that grow up on country music my aunt mad is listen. You got a lot of talent man hope it takes u far"

**
REPLY
44. Phil Dumon
"You very talented man keep stepping on there neck remember we were the first cowboys. Thus the word cow boys"

**
REPLY
45. Joe Boggan
"This ILL SON...😎😎😎😎😎"

**
REPLY
46. badnewz757cream
"I never judge a book by its cover fam."

**
REPLY
47. Cameron Sims
"Breland lucky you came out when you did I was boutta say hell naw this ain’t it"

**
REPLY
48. Cameron Sims
"Was just wondering why the white guy said smoke my blunt scuff my Jordan’s"

**
REPLY
49. Seth Guardado
"I was like “this white guy just said blunt on a country song” lmaoo"

**
REPLY
50. Tanner
"Finna test everyone I show this to"

**
REPLY
51. Marcus Wright
"You got me big hommie I love what you doing keep it up nothing but success to you"

**
REPLY
52. Sean Koenigs
"Breland I was got but when I heard scuff these Jordan’s I was like nah that dude don’t wear Jordan’s then you showed up"

**
REPLY
53. Ms. G
"Not me. 2 much soul 2 b white! But this ish bang!! Cranking it otw 2 wrk n the A.M."

**
REPLY
54. Dakota Murdock
"Fasho me on YouTube it shows you but when i clicked it it's a white dude an then you pop out then the beat drop im like now that's more like it πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ 🎢 🎀 πŸ’―πŸ˜‰"

**
REPLY
55. Rick
"DAWG! U killed it. Keep hustlin & puttin out music like this n u got a fan fo life. Big props from the 313..πŸ”₯"

**
REPLY
56. Alicia Stanley
"So sick I a truck lover and I got all yo trucks so and me got dat black truck and da others
Lmao I tell my kids dontrouch dam
Truck!"

**
REPLY
57. Andro
"That was dope πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ goodπŸ’© πŸ”₯"

**
REPLY
58. Nicole
"Me maneee I was finna say πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
59. Lani_luhv
"I was like dis white boy kinda lit lmao!!!"

**
REPLY
60. 400 MILLION BY MONDAY
"Hahaha you pulled the bait and switch white boy trick, im about to sleep in my Peterbilt here in Tennessee. Dont touch my truck"

**
61. KajtΓ‘r Bence
"Lil nas: im the best Country rapper
Breland:hold my truck,Wait nevermind dont Touch my truck"

**
REPLY
62. MasterBeans 69
"Bruh that actually made me laugh amd I never laugh at yt comments congratulations"

**
63. Steph 7:12
"Hahaaa my guy popped up like “Yes I’m black” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ”₯"
-snip-
This comment has 1.8K likes and 81 replies at the time of this pancocojams post's publication.

**
REPLY
64. User Name
"Cus it's not his culture lol"

**
REPLY
65. Ryan Wright
"@User Name amen"

**
REPLY
66. His Wife
"Charley Pride arrived in 1966 and became the first black American artist to experience country radio success. He is now a bona fide legend, with more than 70 million records sold, 29 number-one hits and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy. Have a blessed ltday. πŸ₯°"

**
REPLY
67. WayneJimi
"@User Name banjo comes from afirca, technically speaking there is no country without black people"

**
REPLY
68. User Name
"@WayneJimi Google just told me the inventor of the banjo was a white man named Joel Sweeney. Why are you lying"

**
REPLY
69. Dana Carter
"@User Name Google lyong cause google is owned by whites. Whites have aspects of their culture that is riddled with lies. Its time you all face yourselves. Yall a hot mess."

**
REPLY
70. User Name
"@Dana Carter Pick up trucks are a blk thing ? Ahahahahah no one believes that dear"

**
REPLY
71. Dana Carter
"@User Name country is our culture. Country also has various subcultures white folks pay millions to hid. COUNTRY IS AMERICAN CULTURE...."

**
REPLY
72. User Name
"Idk why some ppl are mad at my comment, the whole reason ppl r surprised he's blk is because this song is not what you would expect a blk person to make, that was the entire reason he did that intro with the whte dude. Duh. Hip hop isnt whte culture and country isnt blk culture."...

**
73. Uriahsgrandma
"I mean I really really like this! So cool! Going to country music and bringing it back with the a swirl of R&B and rap. I love it! Is bringing us closer! The lyrics is clean and the video is fun! Good job!✊πŸ€œπŸ€›πŸ’œπŸ”₯"

**
74. That Awesome Trucker
"I'm a truck driver and I approve this messageπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ’ͺ🏾πŸ’ͺ🏾πŸ’ͺπŸΎπŸš›πŸš›πŸš›"

**
75. Andrea Gonzalez
"When city boys think their country"

**
76. Baby Black Kitty
"Old town road causing a new wave of songs that are country rap πŸ”₯"

**
REPLY
77. Craziechiefsfan
"Country rap has been around way longer than even lil nas x"

**
REPLY
78. Diego Allen
"@Craziechiefsfan they forgot about Nelly... lol"

**
REPLY
79. John Carson
"Do I guess y'all never heard of @moonshinebandits or @bigsmoe or even @coltford. Seems like Dirt Road Anthem was a pretty big conversation. A few years back."

**
REPLY
80. Jess
"country trap bout time black people reclaim country music"

**
REPLY
81. AnDora Storm
"Umm... King of Country Rap is Ryan Upchurch has been for 6yrs. Check him out if u haven't, or Jelly Roll, Adam Calhoun, Demun Jones, Sturggle Jennings...Did like the song though, loved the trucks!!!"

**
REPLY
82. Omar Benitez
"Y’all are all forgetting about Nelly, his country rap music was stupid fire in the 2000s"

**
REPLY
83. Fancy Nancy
"Pimp C started this whole Country Rap Tunes thing. The east coast didnt want to acknowledge southern rappers."

**
REPLY
84. Tyler Morgan
"Country rap (hick hop) has been around for years."

**
REPLY
85. Cooper Hill
"Country rap started in the 2000s with cowboy Troy and colt ford. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
86. Jim Jones
"This is country trap. These beats and rap style weren't around 20 years ago. Similar to migos and future etc. New wave. All the old timers are just all salty the new kids are carrying the torch now. Pimp C and Nelly never talked about hemis and natty lite either."

**
87. Kevin Perez
"Lil nas lost cousin"

**
88. Mark Defino
"You had me on the into i heard you're music n the radio and im like ya new black sorta country rapper cool them i was like damn he white"

**
89. Mike Pierce
"A city boy trying to be country"

**
90. OldMan Gower
"City boy: (listen to this song) well I better look up some country rap

Looks up country rap and clicks on Upchurch

City boy: 🀠 🀯 😡 (has mind explode from the King)"

**
91. Nawlinz Kid
"Yep We run country tooπŸ’ͺ🏿✊🏿"

**
92. goku mess
"It would be realistic if you keep the white guy for that country song"

**
93. Brandon Hobgood
"i wanna hate it, but i'm 100% convinced the dudes in this video would get along great at any Texas party and BBQ."
-snip-
The screen photograph for this commenter is that of a White man.

**
REPLY
94. V3ckrow_Alex
"not in Texas it is in calie look at the licenses plates"

**
95. Kulture Kartel
"idk why but i thought this would have been shot in Georgia since he's from here. We already have the best of both worlds (country & hip hop) Would have been dope to see those worlds meet in an authentic video shot in the streets of Atlanta, maybe with people mudding in a truck and some wearing jordans. This just seems like his label had a budget and had a "country meets hip hop" concept and 1 location. No dis. This song is a hit!"

**
96. Christy Lynn Darby White
"😁 That Country Trap 2020 Charley Pride of our time DROP SOME MORE BARS #BRELAND"

**
97. Fabian Awoseb
"I thought l was color blindπŸ˜‚"

**
98. Morris Branch
"Please God...Let this fad die quickly real soon!! Most new mainstream Country already is sounding too pop with hip hop claps & not even looking country anymore. It's a funny fun song but I hope it peaks and dies fast"

**
99. Donald Brand
"Another country rap song man Lil Nas X really changing the world"

**
100. Reckle
"And you think people get mad about Jordan’s being scuffed you touch my truck and see what happens, this song hit hard bro, people being sleeping on you but this should be viral already πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜πŸ€™πŸ€ #YEEYEE"

**
101. S A J
"Wannabe country song at I right?"

**
102. SammyMarie0721 xoxo
"You all forget Darius Rucker ?Yup!He did is right!Hootie could sing country.I won’t touch it with my fingers,I’ll key it though,very gently,just through the clear coat. πŸ’‹ 😘"

**
103. JC _
"Country rap tunes, Pimp C done did that... Dope song."

**
104. Stc 5
"U can’t touch someone truck especially with tinted windows and a v8 engine"

**
105. incognito
"This ain't country πŸ‘€πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž"

**
106. YoshiMonster2000
"wait for a country singer to wearing a du rag sag and start rapping watch how fast he’ll get called a racist but this and old town road is fine..."


**
107. Ben Allen
"The industry will never beat upchurch no matter how hard they try"
-snip-
Ryan Upchurch is a White American man who is a country rapper.

**
108. Justin Andrade
"I'll start with the fact that I know that, what seems the majority, hates country music. That being said. I feel Brantley Gilbert could make an awesome country version of this.

I love the video and the lyrics..... the style just doesn't connect. Yet.

Give me time. But hey. It's my first listen. πŸ‘πŸ‘"

****
This concludes Part III of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment