Translate

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Comments About People "Sounding Black" & "Sounding White" (from the YouTube discussion thread for the Country Rap song "My Truck" by Breland)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a three part pancocojams series on the 2020 Country Rap song "My Truck" by Breland.

Part II features selected comments from the official video for "My Truck" by Breland. Particular attention in this post to comments that express assumptions about people sounding Black or sounding White.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/country-rap-song-my-truck-by-breland_92.html for Part I of this series. Part I showcases the official YouTube video of that song and features the lyrics for "My Truck" by Breland.

The Addendum to this post provides information about the word "skrr" that is found in Breland's song "My Truck".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/comments-about-racial-interest-in-music.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. Part III features selected comments from the discussion thread for the official YouTube video of "My Truck" by Breland that express assumptions about race such as the assumption that "Jordans" [athletic shoes] are preferred by Black people, and the assumption that Black people don't sing Country music.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Breland for this song and thanks to all those who are associated with this song and this official video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Breland - My Truck [Official Music Video]



Breland - Feb 19, 2020

****
SELECTED COMMENTS
Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

Many of these comments express the assumptions that certain voices "sound Black" or "White".

I am also interested in documenting the use of African American Vernacular English in many of these selected comments, although those terms/phrases aren't highlighted and definitions for those terms/phrases aren't given in this post.

All of these comments are from Feb. 19 - March 19, 2020.)

1. Breland
How many of y’all did I trick with the intro? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
-snip-
This comment had 5.1K likes and 470 replies as of the March 19, 2020 at 9:59 AM EDT.

**
REPLY
2. ClayClan Tv
"Definitely had me like "damn he white huh " 🀣🀣🀣"

**
REPLY
3. Mellie McDirtyBirdy
"Had me fooled lol I was like oh he’s white, that can’t be his voice?!"

**
REPLY
4. CrosslegLuke
" "that voice does not fit that gu--.... Oh. Okay lol." "

**
REPLY
5. Michael Umphlettee
"Lol I was like, I thought he was a black guy?!?! Then you kicked him out the picture and I’s like “THURR THAT BOY RIGHT THURR! HEE HAW!!!” I about dropped that dip out my lip! Anyways I like your twang kid, if you ever need a hand or just good ole support in Ohio I got ya when you roll threw!!! Yee yee!"

**
REPLY
6. Ashley Norris
"Lol.. Everybody.. my mouth dropped and everything..🀣🀣 I even blinked my eyes a couple times..lol..
But then you popped like..nah this my song, move over..
❤❤"

**
REPLY
7. Yvette D
"I was like wait a minute. He sounded black on the radio.😍
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯"

**
REPLY
8. Marilyn King
"this is kind of country, but no - the voice didn't fit that guy. Congratulations on this song!"

**
REPLY
9. Andrew Cruickshank
"Lol u got me fr"

**
REPLY
10. Dylan Sage
"Great way to throw people off bro"

**
REPLY
11. tionna perkins
"I was like he gotta be black this can’t be his voice"

**
REPLY
12. Darrell Skyy
"Breland πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ definitely wasn’t first guy lol it’s just something that didn’t fit him lolπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ"

**
REPLY
13. MicLuvsA1x
"I was like is he seriously white really? I wish you mad success man it seem like you was having a lot of fun on this video. Always love to see my people shine!"

**
REPLY
14. Jennifer Loves Make-up, Nails, Hair & Lashes
"Me, omg I was just about to change it. Lucky I was busy brushing my teeth. Like this song."

**
REPLY
15. The Soviet Union
" "That isn't a white guys voice"- my brain"

**
REPLY
16. Ty Middleton
"Lol almost, but I was like nah cause I thought the same thing about lil nas x I won't be deceived again. Side note tho...so is Hip Haw a new subgenre in rap now?"

**
REPLY
17. Justin Taylor
"Breland u got me bruh I was like I thought it was a black guy den boom u push da white guy out da way and killed it"

**
REPLY
18. RDollars
"I was really lost for a minute. I was thinking πŸ€” Did Billy Ray Cyrus change his name? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
19. Grant Patterson
"I was like: theres no way this voice lines up with this man hahahah"

**
REPLY
20. "For a sec thought u was white lmfao"

**
REPLY
21. redneck willie
"I new it didnt sound like a white boy voice"

**
REPLY
22. Jimmy Bakker
"I just heard this in my car for the first time, but when I watched the intro of this video, I thought, "Damn! I thought the singer was black." Lol. I was tricked."

**
REPLY
23. Lucefied256
"Had my ass for sure, I was like oh damn he is white."

**
REPLY
24. Kenna Jade
"I thought you was white the first time I heard it then I look up what you looked like"

**
REPLY
25. kimmie pie
"Breland almost made me mad low key πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
26. Mrs. Rhoda
"I was like Damn he white"

**
REPLY
27. badnewz757cream
"I never judge a book by its cover fam."

**
REPLY
28. Puslembim
"Why your voice kinda matched him"

**
REPLY
29. Cameron Sims
"Breland lucky you came out when you did I was boutta say hell naw this ain’t it"

**
REPLY
30. alduin
"Seriously bro. I was like this dude voices is black...."

**
REPLY
31. Ms. G
"Not me. 2 much soul 2 b white! But this ish bang!! Cranking it otw 2 wrk n the A.M."

**
REPLY
32. Nicole
"Me maneee I was finna say πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
33. Lani_luhv
"I was like dis white boy kinda lit lmao!!!"

**
REPLY
34. 400 MILLION BY MONDAY
"Hahaha you pulled the bait and switch white boy trick, im about to sleep in my Peterbilt here in Tennessee. Dont touch my truck"

**
REPLY
35. Garrett Porter
"i was like he really didnt sound white but ok... ohhhhhh nice lol"

**
REPLY
36. Blue Stripvlogz
"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ i said damn he white?? Good one🀘🏿 im diggin this jointπŸ’―"

**
REPLY
37. Yaniel Rivera Miranda
"I was like, ive never seen Berland but i imagine hes black then i see a white dude and im like ok then BOOM black guy"

**
REPLY
38. Ryan Balster
"I could tell you were black by the sound of your voice"

**
REPLY
39. Ryan Balster
"@OCEAN VIEWS white rappers and black rappers sound different so I could just tell he wasn't white"

****
This concludes Part II of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment