Translate

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Spice - Black Hypocrisy (Jamaican Dancehall song about Colorism)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases the 2018 Dancehall song "Black Hypocrisy" by Spice.

The official YouTube video for this song is included in this post along with lyrics and selected comments from that video's discussion thread.

Thanks to Spice for this music and video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

Special thanks to Anonymous July 31, 2019 who alerted me about this song in the discussion thread for this closely related pancocojams post:

****
LYRICS: BLACK HYPOCRISY [sung by Spice]
[Intro]
It's not what you expect me to say
But I'mma go ahead and say it anyway

[Verse]
('Cause) I was told I would reach further
If the colour of mi skin was lighter
And I was made to feel inferior
Cah society seh brown girls prettier
Mi love the way mi look
Mi love mi pretty black skin
Respect due to mi strong melanin
Proud of mi colour, love the skin that I'm in
Bun racism, demolish colourism
But the things weh mi a go seh
Yuh might not even have mi back
I get hate from my own race
Yes, that's a fact
'Cause the same black people dem seh I'm too black
And if yuh bleach out yuh skin dem same one come a chat

[Bridge]
Well, since yuh seh that I'm too black for you
I'll please yuh, do I look how you want me to?
Now I'm gonna see if you gonna say I'm too black for you
Or do I look pretty to you?

[Chorus]
Black people hypocrisy
Leave the girls dem with low self-esteem
Unu gwaan like seh yuh haffi brown fi pretty
Fuck di whole of dem dirty inequity
Dis a black people hypocrisy
Leave the girls dem with low self-esteem
I'm black and beautiful, I know I'm pretty
Fuck the whole of dem dirty inequity

[Verse]
Dem seh mi black til mi shine, til mi look dirty
And it's the only line in life that will ever hurt me
Because it never come from a Caucasian, trust mi
Dis a black colorism big hypocrisy
So if I wake up tomorrow look like a browning, oh!
Automatically mi would a carry di swing
Nuff a unnuh nah go like di song yah mi sing
Because nuff a unnuh guilty fi di same damn thing
What's your perception of a pretty woman (tell me)
Is it straight nose with her hair well long? (Tell me)
Black girls lose self-confident
Cause they attach the word "ugly" to our complexion
[Bridge]
Well, since yuh seh that I'm too black for you
I'll please yuh, do I look how you want me to?
Now I'm gonna see if you gonna say I'm too black for you
Or do I look pretty to you?

[Chorus]

Black people hypocrisy
Leave the girls dem with low self-esteem
Unu gwaan like seh yuh haffi brown fi pretty
Fuck di whole of dem dirty inequity
Dis a black people hypocrisy
Leave the girls dem with low self-esteem
I'm black and beautiful, I know I'm pretty
F&&k* the whole of dem dirty inequity

[Outro]
(It's not what you expect me to say
But I'mma go ahead and say it anyway)
-snip-
*This word is fully spelled out in this lyric page.


[Verified Commentary From Spice]
"What inspired this song?
The moments that inspired this song was comments on social media from other dark-skinned women, or I should say other black women themselves. ‘Cause there’s different shades in black community. And I believe that they’re always degrading the darker skin girls, and there was a particular girl that went on a popular social media, and she was downplaying me because of the color of my skin. I mean, in Jamaica, I think society makes them feel like you have to have a lighter color to look better, or to get through society better. And so, I think those were things that inspired this song."

Source: https://genius.com/Spice-black-hypocrisy-lyrics

****
Click https://bashymagazine.com/article/2018/10/23/spice-premieres-black-hypocrisy-music-video Spice Premieres "Black Hypocrisy" Music Video by BASHY STAFF, October 23, 2018 for an article about Spice's promotion of this song in which she appeared to "bleach" her skin.

Here are quotes from that brief article:
"Yesterday Spice broke the internet. In what was seems to have been done as part of the promotional run for her upcoming EP, Captured, the dancehall artist appeared to have bleached her skin.

[...]

The artist said that Black people in particular have had plenty to say about the complexion of her skin, with regards to her being “too black” and “dirty”...The stunt was the prelude to the release of the artist’s music video, “Black Hypocrisy”, which discusses the negative effects of colourism while promoting self-love."...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Spice - Black Hypocrisy (Official Music Video)



SpiceOfficialYoutube, Published on Oct 23, 2018
-snip-
Statistics as of August 1, 2019 at 1:54 PM
total # of views - 4,486,206 views

total # of likes - 199K

total # of dislikes - 6.3K

total # of comments -18,448
-snip-
Selected comments from this video's discussion thread, with numbers added for referencing purposes only:
2018
1. nookie343
"I’m a 13 year old dark skinned girl this video made me cry because I get made fun of for being a dark skinned this one girl even said “ ew you are to dark” and someone even asked my brother “why is your sister so dark” and he’s brown skinned. Sometimes I would even pray to be lighter I even searched up how to bleach your skin so when spice said “I get hate from my own race” or “ I please ya do I look how you want me to” or “do I look pretty to you” it hit me hard because I try to change for people I cant even wear black because if I do and walk into a room people would be like where’d she go i can’t see her even when the lights were on I’m the class but I can’t change how I look and I wish you did not change your skin color spice you were and inspiration to me and thanks for making this so I love it."

**
REPLY
2. DanaQuist2
"Stay strong, I can relate but you will grow out of it and look back and think what was I insecure about? I think about it from time to time but I’m happy with my skin tone and that’s all that matters not the validation of the opposite sex or girls around me"

**
REPLY
3. Naomi Why
"Oh Girl, im sorry you're experiencing this. Stay confident no matter what they say and know that not everyone thinks light skin is more beautiful.
Much love!"

**
REPLY
4. Nay slays
"Ummm spice did not change her color..its makeup..she was tryna prove a point but anyway i am sorry u went through that though😢😢"

**
REPLY
5. Sam
"If you feel beautiful others will see it eventually. Dont let them get to you. God put beutity in a variety of forms. We are like flowers all look different. :)"

**
REPLY
6. DJ Miller
"Hush honeybee although I don't know you I bet you are beautiful inside and out. Love your black skin and the next time someone tells you you are too black just say, "No baby you just lack Melanin." "

**
REPLY
10. Melisha Davis
"nookie343 I can relate to what your saying 😞"

**
REPLY
11. Shanique Ellis
"I can relate so much... I'm from Jamaica people don't play for real.

P.s she didn't bleach her skin"

**
REPLY
12. Ergo Sum Adrieyl
"You’re a young melanin queen. Embrace your beauty. God loves you and so do we."

**
REPLY
13. Jess E
"You are a beautiful black Queen. Put the crown on your head and don't let anyone ever tell you any different."

**
REPLY
14. Nikki Jaay
"Baby I'm so sorry your going through this never be afraid to talk to an adult and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself you sound so wise for your age God bless you honey love yourself first God made you in his image there is nothing wrong with u boo"

**
REPLY
15. Fritzlanda Andre
"One day you’ll grow and love yourself. I’m really dark too. And elementary and middle school was the hardest for me. I had to start appreciating and loving myself ... and trust me when I say that you’re beautiful ❤️"

**
REPLY
16. Vincy Blessing
"Don't worry hunny we've all been through that phase, coming from a family that mostly all my cousins are lighter in complexion and I use to feel inferior among them but don't worry hunny you're young and a teenager in this stage in life you're concerned about what society thinks is ''beautiful'' but as you get older you'll be more self-confident and self and self acceptance and laugh as you look back of who the person you wanted to like , don't talk about he glow when you rum some oil or or cocoa butter and you see that glow! omgg , darling your black is beautiful pretty pretty skin"

**
REPLY
17.Jacqueline Eze
"Black is beautiful..... Don't mind them grow up be stronger smarter and proud...."

**
REPLY
18. Antoinette Sekibo
"There are many things I had to unlearn as I grew older...like my hair as it grows from my head is beautiful, so is my dark skin. Dry hair should not be stigmatized either. We can moisturize. We were born dark and some were born white or light but NO ONE has control over the race they are born into. So don't allow anyone to use what they had no control over to make you feel bad. You remember your Creator wants you to look the way you do. That's why he made you the way you are. See yourself as the queen you are. Never let those broken people break you too.❤❤❤ You have a right to be happy with who you are."

**
REPLY
19. Sharon Nicholas
"Dear nookie (and every other "dark skinned" girl in this world, be of good courage, you are blessed with everything in excess. Beautiful melanated skin that absorbs sunlight, hair that defies gravity, ample behind, luscious lips, I can go on and on. Stones are only thrown at the ripest fruit."

**
REPLY
20. Cassandra LeSure
"nookie343 stay strong AND soft. whenever naysayers come your way, SMILE as BIG as you can! DON'T say a word and SASHAY your way on to your own business. The truth will set you free.. lies will bind you!"

**
REPLY
21. Anointed Touch
"Hi honey. Too many women can identify with you but as you grow you’ll realize that your skin is what makes you so beautiful. All of those people you think are pretty because of their skin you’ll grow up and they’ll be looking at you! You are beautiful, people say that because they are brainwashed by a European standard of beauty! By the way, she didn’t bleach her skin, it’s makeup just to make a statement in the video. Be encouraged! Blackness is royalty!"

**
REPLY
22. Jackie Jack
"Little sis, I was you. While reading your message, I heard the people from my past, saying those exact things. I will tell you what I wish I knew - your blackness is your superpower. You are beautiful. You can conquer anything. Stay strong sis. Just look at how many of us there are. You are not alone. #blackgirlmagic"

**
REPLY
23. Nastassia T
"Baby if anyone ask you why you too dark tell them to ask god. They are questioning gods work...and god dont make mistakes sweetie."

****
2019
24. Miriam
"Most black woman can relate to this...even among our Black selves we are selective of "which" black is beautiful. They prefer lighter black women "yellow bone as they call them. Colorism must fall."

****
25. India Modest
"JAMAICA NEES TO HAVE THIS ON REPEAT.... THEY HAVE THE MOST BLEACHED SKIN IN ALL OVER THE WORLD.... I LOVE DARK SKIN.... SMOOTH AS CHOCOLATE.... THERE IS NOTHING SO BEAUTIFUL."

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment