Translate

Monday, May 19, 2014

Songs About The Devil Being Mad, Part I: "Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More" song & spin offs

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part series about songs that have versions whose lyrics include a reference to the devil being mad. The titles of the showcased songs for this post are "I Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More", "Oh You Can't Get To Heaven", and "I've Been Redeemed".

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/05/part-ii-of-series-devils-mad-virgin.html for Part II of this series. That post showcases two songs with the title "The Devil's Mad". That post showcases the song "The Devil's Mad" that is featured as part of a Gospel medley from the Virgin Islands, and the song "The Devil Is Mad", a United States Rhythm & Blues/Gospel song from the 1950s.

The content of this post is provided for religious, cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composers and arrangers of these songs. Thanks also to all those who are featured in these videos and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube. In addition, thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
Lines in each song about the devil being mad are written in italics to highlight them.

Example #1: Information About And An Early Example of "I Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More"
From http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=75082
Subject: RE: Lyr Req: Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More
From: Q
Date: 25 Sep 05 - 07:50 PM

As a pure spiritual, "I Ain't Gonna Grieve" was found in St, Helena Island and in South Carolina. I don't have copies. Also reported from Georgia [collector's name] (White).

"I Ain't Gwine Grief Muh Lawd No Mo'" - Ballanta-Taylor, St. Helena Island Spirituals, p. 64
"Ain't Gwine Grieve My Lord No More" - Diton. Thirty-six South Carolina Spirituals.

It seems to have been taken over, changed and largely spread by white gospelers; then many secular derivatives developed.

**
Subject: Lyr Add: I AIN'T GONNA GRIEVE MY LORD ANYMORE
From: Stewie
Date: 26 Nov 04 - 09:22 PM

Meade's earliest reference is to White #70, referred to above by Q. I have transcribed the Walter Smith & Norman Woodlieff version from the Document reissue. I cannot decipher the fourth line of the first stanza: I have put in square brackets what it sounds like to me. Anyone know what it should be?

I AIN'T GONNA GRIEVE MY LORD ANYMORE

I'm so glad and the devil's mad
I'm so glad and the devil's mad
I'm so glad and the devil's mad
[Lost more souls than he thought he had] (?)

I ain't a-gonna grieve my lord anymore
I ain't a-gonna grieve, I ain't a-gonna grieve
I ain't a-gonna grieve my lord anymore

Some go to church to sing and shout (x3)
Before six months they're all turned out
I ain't gonna grieve …

Just let me tell you what the hypocrites do (x3)
They talk about me and they talk about you
I ain't a-gonna grieve …

You can't go to heaven in your powder and paint (x3)
For the lord will know that you're no saint
I ain't a-gonna grieve …

You can talk about me as much as you please (x3)
I'll talk about you down on my knees
I ain't a-gonna grieve …

Source: transcription of Smith & Woodlieff 'I Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord Anymore' recorded in Richmond, Ind, on 30 March 1929 and issued as Supertone 9494. Reissued on Walter Smith & Friends Vol I Document DOCD-8062.
-snip-
Q posted a comment suggesting that the words in brackets probably were "the devil's mad
Lost two souls that he thought he had." The word "two" referring to the two men singing that song.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/09/aint-gonna-grieve-my-lord-no-more.html for more comments about and for two video of examples of renditions of examples of "Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More".

****
Example #2: You Can't Get To Heaven
Editor's Note: This song, also known as "Oh, You'll Never Get To Heaven", is a spin off of the song "Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More" in that verses of "You Can't Get To Heaven" comprise the bulk of the many "Ain't Gonna Grieve" songs. Also, both songs have the same tune and the same call & response format.

Here's a video and transcription of an example of "You Can't Get To Heaven":

Charlie plays "You Can't Get To Heaven" at home



vafolklife, Published on May 23, 2013

Charlie McClendon plays some religious music at home in Newport News. This video clip is part of a larger online exhibit on the music and life of Charlie McClendon, legendary soul artist from Newport News, Virginia, and integral part of the "Norfolk Sound." For more videos, soundclips and photographs of Charlie, please visit www.virginiafolklife.org/McClendon
-snip-
Lyrics:*
You can’t get to heaven in ah rockin chair.
No no no.
You can’t get to heaven in ah rockin chair.
You can’t get to heaven in ah rockin chair.
Because ah rockin chair don’t go
nowhere.
You can’t get to heaven in ah limousine.
(I don’t care how much money you got.)
You can’t get to heaven in ah limousine.
You can’t get to heaven in ah limousine.
You see God don’t sell no gas, no gasoline.
He don’t sell no gas, ya’ll.

You see the devil and me
We both disagree.
I don’t like him
And he don’t like me.
I know he’s mad
Because I won.
I shot him down
With my Holy Ghost gun.


There’s only one way.
There’s only one way.
There’s only one way
That you can get there.
You see, there’s only one way.
There’s only one way.
There’s only one way
That you can get there.
-snip-
Transcription by Azizi Powell from the recording.

****
Example #3: "I've Been Redeemed" [By the blood of the Lamb.]
Editor's Note: This song is a spin off of the song "Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More" in that verses of that song may be found in "I've Been Redeemed". Also, both songs have the same tune and have the same call & response format. People may be surprised that such a religious song as "I've Been Redeemed" has its source in the entertainment/camp song "Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More". However, "Ain't Gonna Grieve" (and "You Can't Get To Heaven") started out as religious songs.

As is the case with the other two featured songs in this post, there are multiple versions of the song "I've Been Redeemed". Some of those versions such as the sound file featured below, don't include the "devil mad" verse or any other verse that mentions the devil. It should also be noted that there are other religious songs with the title "I've Been Redeemed" that aren't related to this featured song.

Here are two text examples of this song.

Text Example #1:
This example includes verses about the devil:

I'VE BEEN REDEEMED
(Author and copyright Unknown)

I've been redeemed (echo)
By the blood of the Lamb. (echo)
I've been redeemed (echo)
by the blood of the Lamb. (echo)
I've been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Filled with the Holy Spirit I am
All my sins are washed away;
I've been redeemed.

But that's not all; (echo)
There's more besides: (echo)
(repeat)
But that's not all; there's more besides:
I've been to the water and I've been baptized.
All my sins are washed away;
I've been redeemed.

Now the Devil's mad; (echo)
And I'm so glad. (echo)
(repeat)
Now the Devil's mad and I'm so glad;
He lost a sinner that he thought he had.

All my sins are washed away;
I've been redeemed.

They can talk about us (echo)
Just as much as they please; (echo)
(repeat)
They can talk about us just as much as they please;
We'll talk about them down on our knees.
All our sins are washed away;
We've been redeemed.

Source: http://www.hymns.net/lyrics/ivebeenredeemed.txt

*alternate words: "Saved and sanctified I am."

**
Text Example #2:
This example doesn't include any verses about the devil, but does include the "never get to heaven on roller skates" verse that is found in many contemporary versions of "Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More"/"Oh You'll Never Get To Heaven":

I've been redeemed (Echo)
By the blood of the Lamb (Echo)
(Repeat)
I've been redeemed
By the blood of the Lamb
Filled with the Holy Ghost, I am
All my sins are under the blood
I've been redeemed.

My Lord & I...
We got so close...
That He filled me with the Holy Ghost

You can talk about me...
As much as you please...
I'll talk about you down on my knees

Oh you can't get to heaven...
On roller skates...
You'll roll right by those pearly gates

And that's not all...
There's more besides...
I been to the river and I been baptized
I’ve been redeemed

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WCQ1qCFeo [piano instrumental version]
The pianist Billy Pollard introduces this song by saying that children in his church sung this song in the 1970s (USA).

**
Here's a sound file of "I've Been Redeemed" whose lyrics don't include any reference to the devil:

Ive Been Redeemed - Carman



Jonna Leanne Greer Uploaded on Jul 2, 2010

Lyrics in black and white

****
This concludes Part I of this series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment