Translate

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Foot Stomping Cheers Alphabetical List (P- Z)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part V (P-Z) of a five part series that provides an alphabetized list of text (word only) examples of foot stomping cheers. I'm referring to this compilation as the pancocojams (Azizi Powell) collection of foot stomping cheers.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list.html for Part I (Numbers - C) of this series.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list_40.html for Part II (D - G).

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list_6.html for Part III (H-J).

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list_53.html for Part IV - K-O

I'm not numbering these pages as additional examples will be added when I come across those examples and when examples are posted on this blog's comment thread.

Click the foot stomping cheer tag below for additional pancocojams posts about this subject.

Please add to the folkloric record by posting examples of these types of cheers that you remember in the comment section below. Please don't forget to include demographic information (when you remember hearing or performing these rhymes/chants- such as mid 1990s); what city or state in the USA or what country you remember hearing or performing these rhymes; who chanted these rhymes, for instance African American girls, ages 5-12 years).

Thank you!

****
DEFINITION OF FOOT STOMPING CHEERS
[Updated 9/7/2016]

"Foot stomping cheers" is the term that I coined in 2000 for a sub-set of children's cheerleader cheers that have distinctive textual structures and distinctive performance styles.

The term "foot stomping cheers" distinguishes examples of that category from other cheerleader cheers. However, it appears from my direct collection and from my online collection that girls usually referred to these examples as "cheers". Sometimes they were called "chants" or "steps".

"Foot stomping cheers" is a relatively new category of children's recreational play that involves chanting and choreographed foot and hand clapping movements. The earliest examples that I have found of these cheers are from the 1970s (USA).

1. Foot stomping cheers are composed using a variant form of call & response that I've termed "group/consecutive soloists". Usually the group voice (often without the first soloist) is heard first. The soloist then responds to the group. This pattern continues, and usually the soloist then has a short solo portion. The group may or may not chant again before the cheer begins again from the beginning with a new soloist. This pattern continues until every member of the group has had one equal (same amount of time) turn as the soloist. My experience is that the order of soloist is determined before the cheer begins, often with girls trying to be the first to call out "first", "second", "third" etc.

2. These cheers are performed by girls who stand in semi-circles, or in lines (usually horizontal lines), or stand in a circle with the soloist in the middle.
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/05/an-overview-of-foot-stomping-movement.html for more information about foot stomping cheers.

****
EXAMPLES: P-Z
These examples are presented in alphabetical order based on the first number or the first letter of the first letter of the first word. The source (i.e. book, direct collection, or website) is given below the example along with demographic information and/or comments.

Examples given with the citations "cocojams.com" were sent into my now defunct cultural website cocojams.com.
Alafia Children’s Ensemble was a cultural group in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and in Braddock, Pennsylvania that my daughter and I formed in the late 1990s to the early 2000s.

PUMP IT UP
Wait here's another one:

Pump it up, pump pump it up
Pump it up, pump pump it up

My name is (your name)
(it up, pump pump it up)
They call me (nickname)
(it up, pump pump it up)
And when they see me,
(it up, pump pump it up)
They go (say this part while doing a dance):
Pow-Pow, bang bang,
(your nickname)does her own thang.
-DiVa X-ta-C,,(African American woman, no location given), http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=5627, “remember when”; 08-04-2000

****
PUMP IT UP (Version #2)
(Everybody says) -Pump it up go 'head, go 'head. Pump it up go 'head. Pump it up go 'head, go 'head. Pump it up go 'head Tasha, go 'head, go 'head. Tasha, go 'head. Tasha, go 'head, go 'head. Tasha, go 'head *

Tasha or the name of the lead person does some kind of dance while she shouts this next part) YOU GOTS TO PUUMP ITT UPPP! Pump it up! Pump Pump it up!
Everybody does the same dance that the leader did while they say the same thing) YOU GOTS TO PUUMP ITT UPPP Pump it up Pump Pump it up
Then you repeat the whole cheer with the next leader who gives her name or her nickname. Everybody has a turn as the leader. The next leader can do the same dance, but when they really want to impress people, they do their own dance.

*I forgot to say that people do foot stomps during this part. It's hard to write it out but the foot stomps go like this (left foot stomps and then clap once; right foot stomps & you clap once, and then the left foot stomps two time and then you clap. Right foot stomps & you clap once). Go back to the beginning and keep doing this until the leader says her part. Then you stop doing the steps. Nobody says anything or moves while the leader is saying her part. They are all watching her. After she finishes doing her dance, everybody tries to the same dance that she did while they say YOU GOTS TO PUUMP ITT UPPP Pump it up Pump Pump it up. And then you go back to the beginning of the whole cheer. I hope you like it.
-Tazi M.Powell (coach; Fort Pitt Cheerleaders; Garfield neighborhood; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: 8/10/2007]

RAZZLE DAZZLE
I hate these cheers, they are for like the 1st grade, here is a good chant:

Razzle Dazzle, razzle dazzle hi we are the Hornets and we are number one and in this razzle dazzle has just began so if you see us step aside cause we dont take no jive, razzle dazzle razzle dazzle Oh she thinks she bad, lord honey we know we're bad our skirts are green our shirts are white, step to us be ready to fight, razzle dazzle razzle dazzle.
-Cassie and Becca ; 5/22/2006, cocojams.com

****
RAZZLE DAZZLE (Version #2)
*=one clap razzle dazzle (***) razzle dazzle (***) our names are cats (or any other team) we're number one our reputation has just begun. so if u see us just step aside, cats (or other team) baby dont take no jive. (GROUP 1) ohhh they think their bad. (GROUP 2) correction baby we know we're bad. (GROUP 1) ohh they think their hot. (GROUP 2) ladies....PLEASE!!!
-Hannah, 9/25/2006, cocojams.com

****
RAZZLE DAZZLE (Version #3)
Razzle Dazzle (all the girls are in a circle, one girl goes in the middle to sing)
my name is ____ i'm number 1,
my razzle dazzle has just begun
so if you see me better step aside
cause this bad girl don't take no jive
(everybody else in the cirle:) ooh. she thinks she's bad
correction baby, i KNOW i'm bad
ooh. she thinks she's fine
fine enough to blow YOUR mind
razzle dazzle uh huh uh huh
razzle dazzle uh huh.
WOO WOO razzle dazzle uh huh
uh huh razzle dazzle uh huh.
WOO WOO (repeat with everybody in the circle)
-liz ; 6/22/2007, cocojams.com

****
RAZZLE DAZZLE (Version #4)
Hiya great site! Here is a cheer: (Where it says Emily change it to your name)

Razzle Dazzle(clap clap clap) Razzle Dazzle(clap clap clap) My name is Emily I'm number one My Razzle Dazzle has just begun So when you see me step aside. You know Emily Don't take no Jive (Everybody) OOh She thinks she's bad (person speaking previously) No, baby I know I'm bad.
-Emiii; 5/21/2007, cocojams.com

****
REALLY
All: Really
Ah Hah.
Really.
Ah Hah.
Soloist #1: Really my name is Lisa.
Really my sign is Sagittarius.
Group: Say what?
Soloist #1: Ah Aries.
Group: Say what?
Soloist #1: Cause I’m F-I-N-E fine.
Like a D-I-M-E. dime.
Don’t waste my T-I-M-E. time.
I’ll blow your M-I-N-D mind.
Cause I’m a pro.
Group: Say what?
Soloist #1: A P-R-O.
Group: Say what?
Soloist #1: Cause I’m a triple P.
Triple R.
Triple O.
Sexy pro.

(Repeat entire cheer with next soloist until everyone has had a turn as soloist)
-Lillian Taylor Camp, AA girls 5-13 years old; AA boys 5-7 years from various Pittsburgh neighborhoods, PA, 1991, 1992

****
REALLY (Version #2)
Hey Yall are takin me back!!!
Does anyone remeber the cheers we used to do?

Really uh uh really uh uh
Really my name is kisses
really my sign is scopio
say what
scorpio
say what
cause I'm more than a dollar I can make your boyfriend holler cause I'm sweet and fine like a bottle of wine cause I'm a pro
say what
a P R O
say what
I'm a triple P triple R triple O
a sexy pro.
- kisses (Milton, Fl USA); http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=3; 01-01-2001

****
REALLY (Version #3)
Really uh huh really uh huh really my name is
(say your name) really my sign is (say your sign)
say what a (say your sign) say what cause Im
f I n e fine like an d i m e dime dont waste my t i me
time Ill blow your m i n d mind
-Deajaih; Pittsburgh, PA, 2/21/06, cocojams.com

****
REALLY (Version #4)
...Another black girl song we use to play with so much rhythm and dance was, "My boyfriend really did it!! He really really really took me to the ocean!!! He really really really showed me commotion!!! He really really really! I said really! Say what now! Really my name is ____ Really my sign is ____ Really etc etc.!!!!!!
-Yolanda Well, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHL_1PdbY Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs
-snip-
Commenting about the video blogger Ebony Janice Peace's 2014 statements that she's noticed that somehow Black girls (from all over the USA) have the same or similar rhymes, this blogger wrote:
"So interesting! Wow I was just talking about the same thing! I thought it was just me and one other person! I am so happy you posted this! I was wondering if we and other black girls were some how connected on some level like radio waves or something? I didn't know what to think! Because as you were saying, "How were these songs transmitted?! We just played singing them!"

****
REALLY (Version #5)
Really, Really,

Really my name's_________
Really my sign is ________
more than a dollar
makes my man holla
he's a pro, P-R-O
Whoa!
-norelation, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers/page3, 8/18/2006

****
SEXIANA (a version of Really, #6)
kay...there was a similar one

sex-i-anaa, sex, sex-i-anaa
sex-i-anaa, sex, sex-i-anaa
my boyfriend made me do it
he really really really bust me in my booty
he really really really turned me around
he really really really criss crossed me down

i don't know the rest of it...

FYI - I never did this one...I heard it from one of my fass azz homegirls..I wish my momma woulda heard me doing this one...I would not be typing right now, I'd be 6 feet under
-GODDESS! http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers/page4, 8/18/2006
-snip-
WARNING - Other examples on that page contain sexually explicit language.

****
ROCK THE BOAT (Version #1)
Rock the boat,
Rock, rock the boat
[repeat]
My name is Yasmin (rock the boat)
I know I'm fine (rock the boat)
Just like my sign (rock the boat)
My sign is Leo
I go bang-bang choo choo train
Wind me up and I do my thing
Reeses pieces butter cup
Don't mess with me, cause I'll mess you up,
Rock the boat, rock rock the boat...
-Yasmin H. (Latina female; memories of East Brooklyn, New York, in the late 1980s), 2/25/04
-snip-
The words in parenthesis were chanted by the other members of the cheerleading squad.

****
ROCK THE BOAT (Version #2)
We are the {school's mascot} rock the boat! We're feelin fine rock the boat! Mess with us rock the boat! We'll blow your mind rock the boat! I said a bing-bang choo-choo train come on {school's mascot} lets do our thang. our reeces peices our buttercup all you gotta do is warm us up! we know karate we know cungfu..mess with us and we'll use it on you!
-Kelley; 12/10/2006, cocojams.com

****
ROCK THE BOAT (Version #3)
heres a cheer i learned last year hey rock my boat
no way no way rock my boat ok ok she slides
she glides she on that donkey ride she
wants u and u to rock her boat too
-jessica ; 2/20/2007, cocojams.com

****
ROCK DATE BOAT
my names (girls name)(group says)rock da boat
(person says)i am feeling fine (groups says)rock
da boat (person says)you mess with me(group
says)rock da boat(person says)i`ll blow you mind
(group says) rock da boat
-Olivia ; 3/10/2008, cocojams.com

****
ROLL CALL
REMEMBER...
roll call sha boom bop bop sha bomm,(repeat 2 times)...
my name is (?) CHECK!
I'm in the (?th) CHECK!
I got (boy's name) CHECK!
on my MIND... CHECK! CHECK!

then you move to the next girl!
- AKA2D '91 (no location given); http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=2, “remember when”

****
ROLL CALL
I learned this from Bring It On (awesome movie RECOMENED!) Roll Call! My name is (your name)(i am rough and tough,etc.) yeh ( and when i shake it Etc.)
yeah (The boys go I Mommy etc.) Whoo Roll call ( next person in line does the same thing until every one is done Every body all together - we are the (your team name) And we are tough And when once we've won we've kicked some but. Goooo (your team's name) I love your site it is one of my resources to get some new awesome cheers from all the great captains or not.
Luv ya
-K-del ; 6/11/2007, cocojams.com

****
SCORPIO (Fragment)
...what about just standing in the school yard @ recess time saying cheers:
Scorpio, sco scorpio...
My name is _______ "scorpiooo, sco scorpio.."
And I'm a Taurus "scorpio..." (why we called it scorpio, I'll never know...)
- tickledpink, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=3; 12-30-2000,
-snip-
Each girl gives her sun sign and then the other say “Scorpio-oo scor scror piooo”

This cheer probably has the same tune as “Gigalo”. This reflects interest general public had in sun sign astrology)

****
SHAPUYA ROLL CALL
i actually got these from a movie but i reckon they're good
shapuya-sha sha shapuya- roll call
shapuya-sha sha shapuya roll call
my name {ur name, {yeh}
i like to party {yeh}
but when i shake it{yeh}
the boys say ai mami!
shapuya-sha sha shapuya- roll call
my name{ ur name }{yeh}
grant you 3 wishes {yeh}
yo see me shake it {yeh}
coz im delicious!
shapuya-sha sha shapuya- rol call
my name {ur name }
Yeh} get outta my face {yeh}
coz when I shake it {yeh}
it's like an earthquake!
-loyola {northern territory aus}; 10/21/2006, cocojams.com

****
SHABOOYA ROLL CALL (Version #2)
This cheer is the best!! Shabooya Sha Sha Shabooya Roll Call My name is ____ {person's name} I like to party so when the boys see me shake it they say Ay Mammi!!
-Rihana ; 11/22/2006; cocojams.com

****
SHABOOYA ROLL CALL (Version #3)
I don't have a comment but here is my Cheer
Sha Booya! Sha booya sha sha sha booya roll call Sha booya sha sha sha booya roll call my name is ________ (persons name) i like to party so when the boys see me shake it they say ayi mammi You use 3 wishes to see me shake it so when the _____{Crew's name} shake it its like an earrrrrthquaake!!
-Rihana & Alyssa; 11/26/2006; cocojams.com

****
SHABOOYAH! (Version #4)
[We All Call] Shabooyah! Shah! Shah! Shaabooyahh! [Main Person] Mah name is Kelsey [All] Yeah [Main Person] Ah like to party! [All] Yeah [Main Person] And when A Shake it The boys say OOH BOOTY LICIOUS x And it goes on and on and on with different people being the main characters :D
i got this song off Bring It On All Or Nothing
-K3LS3Y From Scotland; 5/10/2007, cocojams.com

****
SHABOO YA (Example #5)
i have a cheer shaboo ya yeah yeha shaboo ya roll call my name is sam and i like to jam when the boys see me they say hey mama!!!
-samantha; 6/7/2007, cocojams.com

****
SHABOO YA (Example #6)
Hi my name is Kaylee i am a real cheerleader for the bulldogs at my school so I hope you like this cheer:.....sha boo ya sha sha sha boo ya rode call my name is
_________ (yyeeaahh)i like to party (yeaahh) when i shake it (yeaahh) the boys say i mammi sha boo ya sha sha sha boo ya rode call my name is _________ (yyeeah) you got 3 wishes (yeeahh) when i shake it (yeaah) i'm all elicious sha boo ya sha sha sha boo ya rode call my name is __________ yeeahh) get out my face yeaah)when i shake yeeah)its like a hurricane sha boo ya sha sha sha boo ya rode call!!! (enjoy with 3 peeps)
-Kaylee; 3/14/2008, cocojams.com
-snip-
In the context of this cheer, "peeps" means "people" (friends)

****
SHAKE WHAT I GOT IN MY SKIRT
My name is Makayla and I'm hear today to shake what I got in my skirt.
I could turn around and I could hit the ground and shake what I got in my skirt.

Everybody takes a turn saying their name and saying the same thing.
-Makayla, African American Female; 12 years; Fort Pitt Accelerated Learning Academy; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania}; collected by Azizi Powell, 5/9/2008; from informal survey with girls being asked to write down some rhymes and cheers that they knew
-snip-
Makayla wrote the word "hear" instead of "here".

****
SHAKE WHAT I GOT IN MY SKIRT (Version #2)
My name is Raya and I'm here to say
I can shake what I got in my skirt.
I can turn around
And touch the ground
And I can shake what I got in my skirt.
-Raya & Sha'ona,(African American girls, age 11) Fort Pitt Accelerated Learning Academy; Pittsburgh, PA; 6/12/2008; collected by Azizi Powell, 6/12/2008
-snip-
In 2008 I collected several foot stomping cheers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from Fort Pitt Accelerated Learning Academy, the same public elementary school that has been my primary source for the collection of children's playground rhymes & cheers. Unlike other foot stomping cheers that begin with a group voice, and are structured around a dialogue between the group & the soloist, all the words in these cheers are spoken by the soloist. The designated soloist chants the lyrics while executing the universal foot stomping cheer routine of foot stomps that alternate with individual hand claps or body pats.

The other member or members of that group are silent while they perform the same foot stomping cheer route from its beginning to the end of that rendition. At the end of that soloist's rendition of the cheer, the cheer immediately begins from the beginning with the same words, except for the substitution of the new soloist's name, nickname, or other personal information.

****
SOPHISTICATED LADY
Sophisticated lady,
who rocks?
Well my name is Alia
and I rock.
I got hips upon me
And I'm cute and fine.
If you mess with me
I'll blow your mind.
I love my man.
If you try to take him
I'll do all I can.
You may rock the ocean
You may rock the sea
But if you rock my man
You'll be rockin with me.
You may kiss your mother.
You may kiss your father.
But if you kiss my man
You will kiss no other.
-Tazi M Powell, early mid 1980s;
-snip-
This cheer is based on Natalie Cole's 1977 song "Sophisticated Lady".

****
SUFFOCATED LADY
Suffocated lady, Suffocated la-dy(this is said twice), then the first girl would sing
I'm a bad bad girl from a bad bad town, it take a thousand [n word] just to hold me down, if you don't like my apples don't you pick em (not them) off my tree cause I'm after you're lover and he's after me. (this is repeated until every girl in the circle gets her turn)
-cbwells26; (African American female, FT. Worth, TX , Tarrant), http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=4, remember when”
-snip-
This example has the n word given as an n and randomly typed symbols
-snip-
"Suffocated" is a folk processed for of "sophisticated"

"Sock it to me" is a no longer used 1960s African American slang term that means "give it to me".

****
STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN
Group: Stop, Look, and Listen
Soloist #1: My name is Shana
Group: Stop, Look, and Listen
Soloist #1: My sign is Aries
Group: Stop, Look, and Listen
Soloist #1: Mighty, Mighty Aries
Group: Stop *
Look *
and Listen*

* recited slower than previously words; for “stop use gesture used by Diana Ross & The Supremes in their song Stop in the Name of Love: hand held waist high palm up facing forward, arm half extended
-TMP; remembered from the mid 1980s, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; transcribed by Azizi Powell in 1996

****
TABA
This is a call and response chant from the late 70's early 80's Elkhart Indiana

All: Taba Taba Tab. First person: My name is Sonji.
Rest of Group: Tab. First person: I go to school.
Group: Tab. First person: I'm supercool.
Group: Tab I used to gamble. Group: Tab
First person: But now I don’t. Group: Tab
First person: And never will. Group: Tab
First person: Me and my man. Group: Tab
First person: In the van. Group: Tab
First person: Had a fight. Group: Tab
First person: Last night. Group: Tab
First person: He knocked me down.
Group: Tab. First person: I got back up
Group: Tab. First person: And kicked his butt childhood.

The chant starts over again with the next person in the group and so on.

-Sonjala A. (African American female); 3/15/2008, collected by Azizi Powell
-snip-
The term "childhood, in this example, is probably a folk processed form of the exclamation “chile please”.

****
TELEPHONE
tele-phone, te-te-lephone
hey "bitsy"?
hey what?
your man is on the phone
girl, tell him i ain't home
he only want me for my hips, my lips, my booty and my this(and point to, well your "womanliness")

i know we were some fresh little girls
- bitsy196; http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=4; “remember when”; 6-25-2003

****
TEATHERBALL
I have been taken BACK!!!! But I remember one that surprisingly (sp?) has not been said.I grew up in LA and I am sure this made across the US (Don't laugh at how I spell this stuff:
Teatherball, teatherball ooh sha asha
Teatherball, teatherball ooh sha asha
My name is _______, teatherball
I got Warren, teatherball
On my mind, teatherball
That boy, teatherball
I'm GONNA MAKE HIM MINE!
Teatherball, teatherball ooh sha asha
Teatherball, teatherball ooh sha asha
- bitsy196; http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=4; “remember when”’-06-25-2003
-snip-
“Tetherball is a North American game for two opposing players. The equipment consists of a 10 ft (3.2 m), stationary metal pole, from which is hung a ball from a rope, or tether. The two players stand on opposite sides of the pole. Each player tries to hit the ball one way; one clockwise, and one counterclockwise. The game ends when one player manages to wind the ball all the way around the pole so that it is stopped by the rope.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetherball

****
TETHER BALL (Version #2)
Little black girls at Windsor Hills Elementary School in Los Angeles, CA during the early 1990s chanted this rhythmic taunt in a circle on the playground:

(all) Tether ball (clap), tetherball (clap)
(all) ooosha-asha (twist body/butt from side to side)
(all) Tether ball (clap), tetherball (clap)
(all) ooosha-asha (twist body/butt from side to side)

(solo) My name (clap) is __________
(all) Tether (clap) ball
(solo) I'm (clap) (some adjective/adjective clause that describes yourself)
(all) Tether (clap) ball
(solo) You mess (clap) with me
(all) Tether (clap) ball
(solo) I'll (clap) (some adverbial clause that rhymes with your adjective/adjective clause and describes what you'll do to someone/how you'll protect yourself)
(all) Tether (clap) ball
-Milan W; November 18, 2009, cocojams.com

****
TETHER BALL (Version #3)
....Then there was this other call & response cipher (which I don't hear too many people mention outside my generation and region)...

Tether ball, tether ball/Oosha, asha!/Tether ball, tether ball/Oosha, asha! My name's (enter your name) (tether ball), super cool, (tether ball) You mess with me (tether ball) You's a fool (tether ball) I got this man (tether ball) On my mind (tether ball) You mess with him (tether ball) Your butt is straight up mine. Oooh. Tether ball, tether ball/Oosha, Asha! etc. -- You make up your own rhyme of bravado..
-Nikkole Salter, 2015 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHL_1PdbY Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs
-snip-
In her comments, this blogger indicated that she was from Los Angeles, California.
Read this commenter's other example given under the title "Who Shakes The Best" below.

****
TELL IT
My name is Mocha (Tell it, tell it)
I'm on the line (Tell it, tell it)
I wanna do it (tell it, tell it)
with Nas' sign (Tell it, tell it)
And you know what? (what?)
My man will rough you up.
Hey!!!

The alternate version said, "and you know what? My man don't do enough".
-Miss Mocha, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=31403&page=5,03-28-2003


****
TELL IT LIKE IT IS
tell it, tell it, tell it like it is
uh oh!
tell it, tell it, tell it like it is

me: my name is Goddess
homegirls: tell it, tell it

me: I'm on the line
homegirls: tell it, tell it

me: and I'm gon' do it
homegirls: tell it, tell it

me: with a Scorpio sign
homegirls: tell it, tell it

me: and you know what?
homegirls: what?

me: and you know what?
homegirls: what?

(alternate replies)

me: my man was rollin on the ocean, he was rollin on the sea, and the best part about it, he was rolling on me (insert fast azz 8 year old sexy move here)

OR

me: I'm just gon' kick yo butt
-GODDESS!, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers/page2?s=c36b81842e44a5cd4a49678538954ac4

****
THAT'S THE WAY
All: That’s the way
Un jun Un hun
I like it
Un hun Un hun
That’s the way
Un hun Un hun
I like it
Un hun Un hun
Soloist #1: Lakeisha’s my name
Group: Un hun Un hun
Soloist #1: And love is my game.
Group: Un hun Un hun
Soloist #1: Red is my color
Group: Un hun Un hun
Soloist #1: And don’t you worry ‘bout my lover {or “Don’t you worry ’bout no other”}
Group: Un hun Un hun
-snip-
TMP, TMP, memories of 1980s, transcribed by Azizi Powell in 1996

****
THIS IS THE WAY I SHOW IT OFF
Group: We are the Ridgewood girls
We are the get-fresh crew
Soloist #1: My name's "Sweety"*
My sign's Leo
This is how I show it off: (strike individual pose)
(repeat chant with the next soloist)

*believe it or not that was the name I had chosen for myself
- Yasmin Hernandez; East New York, Brooklyn, (Black and Puerto Rican community; mid 1980s); email correspondence with Azizi Powell, 2004

****
TUITY FRUITY
Group except soloist: Tuity Fruity shake your booty
(Yeah) Watch Nasya do her duty
Nasya: I won’t
Group: Why not?
Nasya: My back is achin and my belt’s too tight.
My butt is shakin from left to right.
Hey jump in, pull it, and jump out.
Jump in, pull it and jump out

[Continue with the next girl].
-Nasya; African American female, 8 years; Faison Primary School (Homewood area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania); October 30, 2009

****
TINGALING A LING
Entire Group -Tingaling A Ling
School belles ring
Boolicka, Boolicka
1st Soloist - And (soloist's name or nickname) sings.
(Soloist does a brief step move or dance move).

The cheer then repeats from the beginning with the next pre-selected soloist who says her name/nickname and does a different step or dance move in the same brief length of time. This continues until every member of the group has had one turn as the soloist.
- T.M.P, mid 1980s, transcribed by Azizi Powell from casette tape in 1996

****
TWO WAY PASS AWAY
All: Two way pass away. Two way pass away.
Soloist #1: Well, my name is Shana.
Group: Two way pass away.
Soloist #1: And if you don’t like it,
Group: Two way pass away.
Soloist #1: You can kiss what I twist.
And I don’t mean my wrist.
-African American girls {around 8-12 years old}, Rankin, Pennsylvania, 1985; Collected by Azizi Powell,
1985

(Repeat the entire cheer from the beginning with the next soloist and continue repeating until every member of the group has had one turn as the soloist.)
-snip-
I think that the phrase "two way pass away" is derived from the Mardi Gras Indian chant "Tuwaypackaway".

U, V

****
WE ARE THE RIDGEWOOD GIRLS
We are the Ridgewood girls
We are the get-fresh crew
My name's "Sweety" (believe it or not that was the name I had chosen for myself)
My sign's Leo
This is how I show it off: (strike individual pose)
-Yasmin H., visual artist (New York City, New York), 2/25/04 (memories of East Brooklyn, New York, in the late 1980s.)
-snip-
This example and several others on this page are from an email that I received from Yasmin H. Here is an excerpt from her email:
"We would begin each performance session with this piece because every girl had to go through this process and so it became the "introduction" piece. I also want to point out with the above piece that the term "get-fresh crew" was something we had borrowed from the then popular "Get-Fresh crew" which was a hip-hop act consisting of Dough E. Fresh and Slick Rick. The beats in our cheers and even song-tunes usually mimicked popular hip-hop beats of the time."

****
WHAT YOUR HEART BEATING FOR
What your heart beatin for?
What your heart beatin for?
You scared?
What your heart beatin for?
You scared?
I’m not
But they is.
I’m not
But they is.
They betta fall back
Before they get slapped [or cracked].
My name is Raya
And I’m not with that.
[the next soloist immediately starts the cheer again and says the same thing except she gives her name or nickname at the end.
-Canraya E, African American female, 11; and Sha’ona K, age 11, collected by Azizi Powell, June 2008
-snip-
This is a cheerleading cheer that the girls learned from the Garfield Gators. Both girls do foot stomping, individual handclapping chant, the soloist is the only one who talks, the other girl does foot stomping along with her but didn’t say anything.

The second girl is silent and expressionless. She id doing the same foot stomping beat as the soloist while that girl speaks.

This taunting cheer was performed to foot stomps that alternated with (individual) hand claps}. Both girls said the first two lines and then one girl said the rest of the cheer. The second girl continued to do the foot stomping movement while the first one said the chant and continued to do the foot stomping movement. The cheer was then repeated from the beginning with the new "soloist" who says her name and the exact same words. Sometimes minor changes are made, for instance instead of saying "slapped", you can say "cracked".

****
WHO ROCKS THE HOUSE
Group: Who rocks the house i s3d {girls nam3} rocks the house And when {girlsname3} rocks the house She rocks it all the way down!! Example: Start with the first girl, Group: Who rocks the house I sed Lexy rock the house And when Lexy rocks the house She rocks it all the way down. Group: {Go on to the next girl} Who rocks the house i sed Stacy rocks the house And when Stacey rocks the house she rocks it all the way down.
-L3XY!! -11/4/2007, cocojams.com

****
WHO ROCKS THE HOUSE (Version #2)
who rocks the house i said (other teams name) rocks the house and when (other teams names) rocks the house they rock it hold u p wait a minute this aint right cause we aint in it who the rockd the house i said (your teams name) rocks the house and when (your team name) rocks the house we rock it all the way down.
-a best cheer; 12/1/2007, cocojams.com

****
WHO SHAKES THE BEST*
This is an L.A. perspective:... This first one is not so much a hand game as much as it is a cipher: You know, I shake the best, hey, hey/ You know, from the east to the west! My name's (enter your name) and my favorite color's black (or whatever color you like) / I took your man and you won't get him back, hey hey / You know, I shake the best, hey, hey/ You know, from the east to the west! (and every person gets a chance, state your color and your bravado in rhyme)...
-Nikkole Salter, 2015 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHL_1PdbY Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs
-snip-
*This is my title for this example, as it reminds me of a Virginia State University stomp and shake cheerleader cheer with the same name "Who Shakes The Best" Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/01/stomp-shake-cheerleading-who-cheers.html for a video & text example of that cheer from 2008. I note in that post that there were two Hip Hop records with the title "Who Shakes The Best" in 1990 (Candyman) and before that in the 1980s (DJ Simon & Mcg).

This commenter didn't indicate what year she performed this "cipher" (a referent for a fragment of what I call a "foot stomping cheer"), thus we don't know which came first- the foot stomping cheer or the stomp and shake cheerleading cheer.

This commenter's second example is found above as Tetherball (Version #3).

****
YOU AINT GOIN NO WHERE
Entire Group: You ain’t goin no where
no where
You ain’t goin no where
You ain’t goin no where
no where
You ain’t goin no where
Hey Shadeya
Shadeya
(Soloist #1): Too shy
Group: Introduce yourself
Shadeya: I’ll try
My name is Shadeya
I cheer for Garfield.
My sign is Libra.
And when I’m up
Group: When she’s up.
Shadeya: I’m hot stuff.
Group: She’s hot stuff.
Shadeya: And when I’m down.
Group: And when she’s down.
Shadeya: Don’t mess around.
Group: Don’t mess around
Shadeya: Don’t make me scream
cause you will be _knocked _out.
-snip-
" __ " means to pause a beat. * name your community or school athletic cheerleading team; "my sign" means the person's astrological sun sign.

Repeat the entire cheer from the beginning with the next soloist who says her name or nickname, the name of the sport or community team she cheers for. The girl doesn't have to really be a cheerleader. She is engaging in dramatic play- that is-she's pretending to be a cheerleader.

Continue this pattern until every one in the group has had one turn as the soloist.
-Shadaya, Fort Pitt School; (Garfield), 2002; collected by Azizi Powell; I also collected the exact same cheer in 2008 from Conraya and another girl from the same school.

****
This concludes Part V of this series.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, cultural, and recrational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thank you for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments and additional versions of these cheers and/or examples of other cheers are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment