Translate

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Foot Stomping Cheers Alphabetical List (H - J)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part III (H - J) of a five part series that provides an alphabetized list of text (word only) examples of foot stomping cheers. I'm referring to this compilation as the pancocojams (Azizi Powell) collection of foot stomping cheers.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list.html for Part I (Numbers - C) of this series.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabitized-list.html for Part II of this series.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list_53.html for Part IV - K-O

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list_22.html for Part V: P-Z

This is a work in progress. I'm not numbering these pages as additional examples will be added when I come across those examples and when examples are posted on this blog's comment thread.

Click the foot stomping cheer tag below for additional pancocojams posts about this subject.

Please add to the folkloric record by posting examples of these types of cheers that you remember in the comment section below. Please don't forget to include demographic information (when you remember hearing or performing these rhymes/chants- such as mid 1990s); what city or state in the USA or what country you remember hearing or performing these rhymes; who chanted these rhymes, for instance African American girls, ages 5-12 years).

Thank you!

****
DEFINITION OF FOOT STOMPING CHEERS
[Updated 9/7/2016]

"Foot stomping cheers" is the term that I coined in 2000 for a sub-set of children's cheerleader cheers that have distinctive textual structures and distinctive performance styles.

The term "foot stomping cheers" distinguishes examples of that category from other cheerleader cheers. However, it appears from my direct collection and from my online collection that girls usually referred to these examples as "cheers". Sometimes they were called "chants" or "steps".

"Foot stomping cheers" is a relatively new category of children's recreational play that involves chanting and choreographed foot and hand clapping movements. The earliest examples that I have found of these cheers are from the 1970s (USA).

1. Foot stomping cheers are composed using a variant form of call & response that I've termed "group/consecutive soloists". Usually the group voice (often without the first soloist) is heard first. The soloist then responds to the group. This pattern continues, and usually the soloist then has a short solo portion. The group may or may not chant again before the cheer begins again from the beginning with a new soloist. This pattern continues until every member of the group has had one equal (same amount of time) turn as the soloist. My experience is that the order of soloist is determined before the cheer begins, often with girls trying to be the first to call out "first", "second", "third" etc.

2. These cheers are performed by girls who stand in semi-circles, or in lines (usually horizontal lines), or stand in a circle with the soloist in the middle.
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/05/an-overview-of-foot-stomping-movement.html for more information about foot stomping cheers.

****
EXAMPLES: H-J
These examples are presented in alphabetical order based on the first number or the first letter of the first letter of the first word. The source (i.e. book, direct collection, or website) is given below the example along with demographic information and/or comments.

Examples given with the citations "cocojams.com" were sent into my now defunct cultural website cocojams.com.
Alafia Children’s Ensemble was a cultural group in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and in Braddock, Pennsylvania that my daughter and I formed in the late 1990s to the early 2000s.

___ HAS THE POWER

All:(including soloist named or nickname):
Ree Ree* has the power
to scream and shout.
But Deandre** has the power
to knock
you
out.
Say what?
To knock
you
out.
Okay.

[Repeat the entire cheer with another girl’s name or nickname or with another boy’s name or nickname]
-Riantai (Ree Ree); African American female, age 8; Faison Primary School (Homewood area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 30, 2009; collected by Azizi Powell, October 30, 2009

I vaugely remember the explanation that:
* Girl in your competitor' cheerleading squad’s name or nickname
**Girl in your cheerleading squad

****
HEY MY NAME IS ___
we sing this when we do warm up running before a field hockey game person:hey my name is katie and you kno what i got?? group:uh huh?? person: i got a team thats hotter than hot group:uh huh?? person: good d(defense) and offense too. group: uh huh uh huh. person: were gunna kick the whoopsies outta you!!!! then take turn until the whole group is finished
-kate: 11/23/2006, cocojams.com

****
HOLLYWOOD NOW SWINGING/DYNOMITE
Hollywood now swingin'! (4 times)
CALL: Name is Nita.
RESPONSE: Hollywood now swingin'!
Similarly
I know how to swing.
Everytime I swing.
Stevie come around.
CALL: He popped me once!
He popped me twice!
All I felt was -dynomite!
RESPONSE: Dynomite, dynomite! (Twice)
Dynomite!
CALL: Here she is.
RESPONSE: Dynomite!
Similarly
Foxy Brown!
You mess with me,
I'll shoot you down!
Down, down,
To the ground,
Up, up,
CALL: Just out of luck!
RESPONSE: Dynomite, dynomite! (Twice)
-Barbara Borum and other Washington, D.C. schoolgirls, recorded in 1976 in Washington, D. C. by Kate Rinzler, album notes Kate Rinzler, "Old Mother Hippletoe, Rural and Urban Children's Songs"; http://www.newworldrecords.org/linernotes/80291.pdf ; 1978
-snip-
I happened upon a copy of the Oh Mother Hippletoe vinyl record set at a library used book sale sometime in the late 1990s. I bought that record for its record notes even though I didn't have a record player at that time. Band 3 "Cheerleading" of that record features four* examples of what the author of the record notes calls "cheers".

*Hollywood Keep Swinging/Dynomite" are probably two different cheers. While I haven't found the exact phrase "down to the ground"/ up up just out of luck" in other cheers or rhymes, the going down" followed by "getting up" words are quite common in foot stomping cheers.

****
HOLLYWOOD GOES SWINGING (Version #2)
All: Hollywood goes swingin;.
Swingin’ for the good times.
Swingin’ for the bad times.
Soloist #1: My name is Ebony.
(And) I’m cool and the gang.
You mess with me
And I’ll do my thang.
My sign is Libra
And that’s alright.
Cause all Libra’s
Are out of sight.
All: Hey you,
Check it out!
You! You!
Check it out!
-TMP, Pittsburgh, PA, mid 1980s; Collected by Azizi Powell, 1996
-snip-
Repeat cheer with next soloist who gives her astrological sun sign.
The cheer continues until everyone has had one turn as the soloist.

****
HOLLYWOOD GOES SWINGIN (Version #3)
All: Hollywood goes swingin
Hollywood goes ___swingin
Swingin for the good times
Swingin for the bad times
Soloist #1: My name is Zizi
I’m cool and the gang
Mess with me. I’ll do my thang
If you see me walkin down the street
You betta speak.
Long time, no see
Sexy as I wanna be
Some hittin me high
Some hittin me low
Some hittin me on my-
Don’t ask what
Group: What?
Soloist #1: My b-u-tt butt
That's what.
- T.M.P, (African American female, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1985-1986); also collected by Tazi Powell (from African American girls, Pittsburgh [Lillian Taylor Camp], 1989, 1990
-snip-
(Repeat from the beginning with the next soloist who says her name or nickname. Continue this pattern until every girl in the group has had one turn as the soloist)
* ___ pause for a beat

The group members decide the order of soloists by the fastest ones to shout out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. They then form a line (or a half circle facing their usually imaginary audience) in that order. The girls begin stepping for a short while before they start saying the cheer. This is to make sure that everyone is "on beat". They keep doing the step routine when they begin chanting throughout the entire cheer. If someone "messes up the beat", the cheer must begin again from the beginning. At the end of the cheer, the entire cheer begins again with a new soloist. This pattern continues until everyone in the group has the same equal turn as the soloist.

My daughter also recalls hearing girls perform this cheer when she was a counselor for Kingsley summer camp, (Pittsburgh, PA), 1989 and 1990.

****
HOLLYWOOD KEEP SWINGIN (Version #4)
ya'll I just remembered this one.
It just came to me..
Hollywood Swingin”
Hollywood (keep) swingin’
Hollywood Swingin”
Hollywood (keep) swingin’
My name is ___ I’m number one.
My reputation is having fun.
So if you see me
Just step aside
Cause mighty ___
Don’t take no jive!

Repeat chorus
My name is ___ I’m number two
My reputation is loving you.

It goes on and on and on and on!

Have mercy!
- AKA2D '91; http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=2;
12-29-2000
-snip-
"Hollywood Goes Swinging" is (or was) also performed as a hand clap rhyme.

****
HOLLYWOOD ROCK SWINGING (version #5)*
Hollywood rock swinging.
Hollywood rock swinging.
My name is Aniesha
I'm number one
My reputation is having fun
So if you see my just step aside
"Cause mighty Aniesha don't take no jive.

Hollywood rock swinging.
Hollywood rock swinging.
My name is katrina
I'm number two
My reputation is me and you
So if you see me just step on back
'Cause mighty Katrina don't take no slack.

Hollywood rock swinging.
Hollywood rock swinging.
My name is Natasha
I'm number twelve
My reputation is ringing that bell
So if you see my just step aside
"Cause mighty Aniesha don't take no jive
-Apples On A Stick: The Folklore Of Black Children by Barbara Michels and Bettye White (1983; p. 14);
-snip-
That book's preface indicates that the source of all of the examples in that book were Black children from Houston, Texas.
-snip-
No performance directions are given in this book for any example. But, based on my observations of similar foot stomping versions* of "Hollywood Swinging" in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the soloists don't have to recite a two lined number rhyme that corresponds to their number**. They can recite any two lined number verse that they remember or that they make up "on the spot". Notice that the third girl in the above example said that her number was twelve. That doesn't mean that she was the twelfth soloist.
-snip-
Although I usually present each example from in chronological order with the oldest dated example given first, I somehow forgot to add this version from a 1983 book.

****
HOLLYWOOD NOT SWINGIN (Version #6)
When we were kids, what were some of your favorite hood cheers? Post 'em here. Mine was "Hollywood Not Swingin'"

Hollywood not swingin', Hollywood not...swingin'
Hollywood not swingin', Hollywood not...swingin'

Well my name is Yella, my number's 1,
My reputation is havin' fun,
So if you see me just step aside,
Because this light chick don't take no jiiiiiiiiivvveeee... .
-Cocaine, no location given, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers, 8/18/2006

****
HOLLYWOOD IN MY SWINGING (Version #7)
TEE HEE HEE...

we had a similar one...

Hollywood in my swinging...hollywood in my swingin
hollywood in my swinging...hollywood in my swingin

My name is Goddess! and I'm Kool and the Gang..
and if you don't like it let me tell you one thang...
my sign is a scorpio and that's alright
cus all scorpios are dynomite!

homegirls: uh! she think she bad
me: hush honey I know I'm bad

Homegirls: uh! she think she cool
me: cool enough to steal your dude

homegirls: uh! she think she fine
me: fine enough to blow your mind

homegirls: aw girl stop that lyin
me: at least my man didn't leave me crying

(repeat until everyone gets a turn)
-Goddess, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers, 9/18/2006

****
HULA HULA
Group: Hula Hula.
Who think they bad?
Soloist #1: I do.
Group: Hula Hula.
Who think they bad?
Soloist #1: I do.
Well, I think I’m bad cause
Cara’s my name
and love is my game.
I got this boy on my mind
and Lord knows he’s fine.
I got his name on my shirt
and don’t call it dirt.
Group: Ooh, she thinks she’s bad.
Soloist #1: Correction, baby I KNOW I’m
bad.
Group: Ooh, she thinks she’s fine.
Soloist #1:Fine enough to blow YOUR
mind.
-TMP.; Pittsburgh, PA, mid. 1980s; cassette recording in 1992 ; transcribed in 1996 by Azizi Powell
-snip-
Hula Hula’s" beat is stomp clap; stomp stomp clap*. The cheer continues without any break in the chanting or the stepping until everyone has had one turn as soloist.

*"Stomp clap; stomp stomp clap" appears to be the most often used foot stomping beat. Another beat is stomp clap, stomp clap).

Cheer foot stomping always starts with the right foot.

****
HULA HULA (Version #2)
Hula Hula
Who thinks she's bad now
Hula Hula
Who thinks she's bad)

I think I'm bad
'Cause Shelly's my name
Black is my color
And love is my game

(Ooh, She think she bad)
[posturing] Ooh, I know I'm bad.

(Ooh, she think she bad)

Ooh, I know I'm bad

(Ooh, she think she bad)
Chile, go kiss my ass (or “Chile, your breath is bad” or “Chile go take a bath”)

repeat rhyme from the beginning.
-bublackberry (African American woman); Connecticut; emailed to Azizi Powell, 11/11/05 .

****
HULA HULA (Version #3)
Hula Hula
Now who thinks they bad
Hula Hula
Now who thinks they bad
I think O'm bad
'Cause Acie my name
Take a sip of my potion
And dance in slow motion
Uh-huh
She think she bad
Baby baby don't make me mad
Uh-huh
She think she cool
Baby baby don't act a fool
Uh-huh
She think she sweet
Sweetest person you ever meet
Uh-huh
She think she fine
Baby baby I'll blow your mind
-Apples On A Stick: The Folklore Of Black Children by Barbara Michels and Bettye White (1983; p. 13);
Hula" (p. 13) That book's preface indicates that Black children from Houston, Texas were the source of all of the examples in that book.
-snip-
Although I usually present each example from in chronological order with the oldest dated example given first, I somehow forgot to add this version from a 1983 book.

****
HULA HULA * (fragment, Version #3)
Neicy think she bad yall

"Who me?"-Neicy

Neicy think she bad

Neicy- It aint me who think i'm bad its you who think you bad your underarms your in between, oh girl its killing me (while fanning nose)

One thing you should know is take a bath your dirty ho

Neicy think she bad yall

Neicy think she bad

A neighboring cheering squad is usually on the receiving end of this and a fight will most likely break out by second verse
-NicoleBitchie, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers/page2?s=c36b81842e44a5cd4a49678538954ac4, 8/18/2006
-snip-
"Hula Hula" may not have been the title of this cheer, but the wording/text structure is similar to those cheers.

****
WHO NOW WHO NOW (a version of Hula Hula, #4)
Who now Who now, Now who think they bad
Who now Who now, Now who think they bad
I do
I know I'm bad cause Afro's my name
Uh Huh
Football's my game
Uh Huh
Black is my color dont u worry about my lover
Um she think she bad
Bad bad super bad, bad enough I know I'm bad
Um she think she tough
Tough tough super tough tough enough to kick your butt
Um she think shes fine
Fine enough to blow Eric's mind
Um she think she's cute
Cute enough to steal your dude
-Afrochic (Memphis, Tennessee), http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=31403&page=5 Old School Chants, 03-30-2003

****
HUMP DE DANDA
All: Hump De Danda
Hump Hump De Danda
Hump De Danda
Hump HumpDe Danda
Soloist #1: (Well) My name is Toya.
Group: De Danda, Hump Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: I’m super cool.
Group: De Danda Hump, Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: You mess with me
Group: De Danda Hump, Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: and you’re a fool.
Group: De Danda Hump, Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: I’m goin down
Group: De Danda Hump, Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: to touch the ground.
Group: De Danda, Hump, Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: I’m comin up
Group: De Danda, Hump Hump De Danda
Soloist #1: to mess you up.
All: Humpty Dumpty
sat on ah wall
Humpty Dumpty
had a great fall.
Oosh, ain’t that funky now.
Oosh, aint that funky now.
Oosh, ain’t that, Oosh ain’t that
Oosh, ain’t that funky now.

(Repeat the entire cheer with the next soloist)
-TMP.; Pittsburgh, PA, mid.1980s; transcribed by Azizi Powell, 1996

****
HUMP DE DUMP (Version #2)
I am a cheerleading coach in Ga, I moved here from Pittsburgh (East Liberty) when I was about 10. We used to do all of the street cheers that you have listed back during the mid 80's, they brought back wonderful memories and that is something that I do not remember the girls from down south doing once we got here. I remember one called "Humpty de Dump"- hump de dump, hump, hump, de dump, - my name is is___, de dump, hump, hump, de dump- and if you watch me, de dup, hump, hump, de dump,-I'll show you I'm cool, de dump, hump, hump, de dump. (Then you do your dance)
-Tia (from the East Liberty neighborhood of Pittsburgh, in mid 1980s); 8/25/05

****
I'M A STAR
hi my name is Aundrea and im a star mess with me and ill take you far!
Squad: Woo, she thinks she's bad. Woo, she thinks she's bad.
You: Correction baby, i know im bad.
Squad: Woo, she thinks she's bad. Woo, she
thinks she's bad.
You: Child please!
-Aundrea; 2/28/2007; cocojams.com

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Group except soloist: Hey, Shaquala!
Soloist #1: Yo! *
Group: Innn-TRO-duce yourself.
Soloist #1: No way.
Group: Innn-TRO-duce yourself.
Soloist #1: Okay.
My name’s Shaquala.
Group: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: They call me Quala.
Group: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: My sign is Aries
Group: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: I like to dance
Group: Hey! Hey!
Soloist #1: I wanna be a dancer for the rest of my life.

Repeat the entire cheer from the beginning with the next soloist. Each soloist substitutes her identifying information for the same categories (name, nickname, astrological sign, what she likes to do). The cheer continues from the beginning until every member of the group has had one turn as soloist.
-T.M.P.(African American female); Pittsburgh, PA mid 1980s; transcribed from an audio tape by Azizi Powell, 1996

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Version #2)
Hey Serenity! Yeah!
Hey Serenity! Yeah!
Introduce yourself! I'll Try!
Introduce yourself! Allright!
My name serenity! Yeah!
Im 24! Yeah!
My reputation is so much more! Yeah!
So when you see me! Yeah!
Just step aside! Yeah!
Cause serenity! Yeah!
Don't take no Jive! 2 3 4.....Hey (whose next) Introduce yourself.
- serenity_24 (no location given); http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=4123&page=2; 12-29-2000, “remember when”

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Version #3)
Introduce yourself
to shy
introduce yourself
I try
my name (say your name)
yeah
I cheer for (say who you cheer for)
my sign is (say your sign)
and when I'm up I'm hot stuff
And when I'm down don't mess around
and when I'm me don't scream or shout or you'll get knocked out!
-De'ajaih; (African American girl); Garfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania); 5/16/2006

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Version #4)
group: Hey (name) individual: yeah group: introduce yourself
individual: no way group: introduce yourself ind.: ok...
my name is (name) group: yeah ind.: and i am proud
group: yeah ind.: thats why i cheer group: yeah
ind.: so very loud, so check me out
-Janice, (San Francisco, California) 10/11/2006, cocojams.com

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Versions #5)
{I hope its good}

hey (name) hey what introduce yourself, no way,
introduce yourself ok 1 2 3 4 5 my name is (name) and
i say hi 6 7 8 9 10 back it up and meet my friend Hey
(name) hey what introduce yourself no way introduce
yourself ok 1 2 3 4 5 my name is (name) and i say hi 6
78 9 10 back it up and meet my friend hey (name) hey
what introduce yourself no way introduce yourself ok
shaboo ya sha sha shaboo ya roll call my name is
(name) i cheer so strong and so when i shake you
better bring it on shaboo ya sha sha shaboo ya break it down now
-tiffany; 9/28/2006, cocojams.com

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Versions #6)
"Hey girl, hey you, introduce yourself. Introduce yourself."
Then each individual girl says a rhyme about themselves, like,
"My name is Joan (group says "check") I'm from AC ("check") I come to say ("check") Don't mess with me ("Check it out")
-Joan C.(Anglo-American female ; chanted by Black, Latino, and White girls at Catholic High School in Atlantic City, New Jersey, late 1970s; electronic message to Azizi Powell; 2/11/2007
-snip-
Joan C's recollection of this year from the "late 1970s" places it in a similar time frame as the Washington, D.C. cheers that were collected in 1976 by kate Rinzler and featured on the 1978 Mother Hippletoe.

Joan C and I both blogged on Mudcat's online folk music discussion forum, but I didn't "know" her. I had shared some foot stomping examples on several Mudcat discussion threads, and Joan sent me this example. Prior to her sending me that example, I had no idea that she was from my hometown of Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Also notice two other examples of cheers that are from the late 1970s and early 1980s in Elkhart, Indiana:
"Introduce Yourself Roll Call" (on this page below) and "Tab".

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Version #7)
hey gigi hey what hey gigi hey introudce your self i can't
why not because my back is aching skirt is to tight you
got my booty shaking from the left to the right
-gigi; 2/14/2007, cocojams.com

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Versions #8)
sorta funny/lame but cool: (in a line, first person says)
Hey you! (last person) Hey, what? (first) Introduce
yaslelf (last) no way (first) introduce yorself! (last) I'm
(insert name) (whole line/group) What, what! (last) I'm
(insert name again) (last person moves to the front of
the line and now they are the first) (first) Hey you! ect.
go through until everyone has introduced theirselfs
doesnt work well with like cheers or soemthing but at
like assembalies or council presentations or whatever !
-me! ; 3/19/2007, cocojams.com

****
INTRODUCE YOURSELF ROLL CALL (Version #9)
All: Chick – boom Ah Ah chick a boom roll call
First Person: Hey Sonji
Second Person: Yeah baby
First Person: Hey sonjie
Second Person: Yeah baby
First Person: Introduce your self
Second Person: Right on
First Person: Introduce your self
Second Person: Right on my name is sonji
First Person: Check
Second Person: I like to sing
First Person: Check
Second Person: And when I sing
First Person: Check
Second Person: I do my thing
All: OOOOHHHH roll call Chick a boom, ah ah chick a boom roll call

Then each person is “called” one at a time. They make up a rhyme about what they like and the cheer repeats itself {African American girls; Late 70’s – early 80’s Elkhart Indiana}
-Sonjala A. (African American female); collected by Azizi Powell, 3/15/2008

****
I TT I TI TI
I live in fayettville,nc i am 9 my cuzin taught me this
I TT I TI TI Break it down I TT I TI TI Break it down My name
is Euraja and I'm the ist Cheerleader And when I break
it down I break it I break it to the ground And when I get
up I don't get stuck And there aint nothing to it yall Can't
do it.
-aja; 10/4/2008, cocojams.com

****
JAY JAY KUKALAY (Version #1)
Soloist #1: Jay Jay Kukalay
Group: Jay Jay Kukalay
Soloist #1: Salesah lahndah
Group: Salesah lahndah
Soloist #1: Step back, Shalanda (or back, back Shalonda)
Group: Step back, Shalanda
Soloist #1: Oosh, my lover boy!
Group: Oosh, my lover boy!
Soloist #1: I’m callin on,
I’m callin on
I’m callin on - Rhonda
-T.M.P. (African American female; from her memories of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the mid 1980s); Also collected by Azizi Powell; in 1998 (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Garfield- the same collection neighborhood as in the mid 1980s)

****
J. J.COOL AID (Version #2)
Soloist #1: J.J. Cool Aid
Group: J.J. Cool Aid
Soloist #1: Teresa Londa
Group: Teresa Londa
Soloist #1: Back, back Tuanda
Whose my lover boy?
I said mmm my sweetie cakes
I’m callin on
I’m callin on
I’m callin on
Shakera
- Anglo-American female living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who indicated that she grew up in predominately Black neighborhood of Washington, DC; performed this in the 1980s; Collected by Azizi Powell, 1999 (Game song/Cheer survey of co-workers, Family Health Council, Pittsburgh, PA.)

"Jay Jay Kukalay" and "J. J. Cool Aid" are undoubtedly inspired by the Ghanaian folk song "Che Che Kule".
"Che Che Kule" was one of the few African songs that was taught in Pittsburgh Public school's music classes. I wonder if that was the same in Washington, D.C.

****
JUMP IN JUMP OUT
All: Jump in, Jump out.
And turn yourself about.
Jump in, Jump out.
And turn yourself about.
Soloist #1: My name is Kadiyah.
Group (except soloist): Yeah.
Soloist #1: I like to dance, dance.
I want to be a dancer all the rest of my life.
Group: All the rest of her life.
All: Jump in, Jump out.
And turn yourself about.
Jump in, Jump out.
And turn yourself about.
Soloist #1: My name is Michaela.
Group: Yeah.
Soloist #1: I like to cheer, cheer.
I want to be a cheerleader for the rest of my life.
Group: For the rest of her life.

Repeat the cheer from the beginning with the next soloist and continue until every member of the group has had one turn as soloist.
-T.M.P.; (African American female}, memories of middle 1980’s Pittsburgh, PA); transcribed from cassette tape by Azizi Powell, 1996

****
JUMP IN JUMP OUT (Version #2)
I remember this from a show i watched:
jump in jump out turn yourself around. jump in jump out
introduce yourself my name is keisysha. what. i'm nine
huh. and i'm so fine everyday of my life. everyday of her
life. and you go on until everyone gets a turn. and don't forget to rhyme.
have fun. but i wish i new more but i'm only 12. bye and keep sending chants.
-db, 3/08/2006, cocojams.com

****
JUMP IN JUMP OUT (Version #3)
Jump in jump out introduce yo self (2x) my name is
Shakyra (yea) i go to school (yea) im not the teacher
(yea) i kno the rules (yea kno them rules)
keep on doing it to everybody had a turn
-Shakyra P; 5/8/2007, cocojams.com

****
JUMP IN JUMP OUT (Version #4)
ALL: jump in jump out turn yo self around jump in jump
out introduce yo self..... 1 PERSON: my name (insert
girls name) ALL: yeah 1 PERSON: i like to (say what u
like to do) ALL: yeah 1 PERSON: and im gone (what
ever you like to do) ALL: yeah 1 PERSON: for the rest
of my life ALL: for the rest of her life (go again with a
different person)
-Shay; 5/14/2007, cocojams.com

****
JUMP IN THE CAR
I was reading some of these examples and I remember doing alot of them being that im only 17...sooo heres one that i remember playing around 95'-96'...

Jump in the car Jump in the Car (CLAP 3X)
Step on the gas (CLAP 3X)
Move to the side, and let (name) pass
Eh-Hey, Ooh Ahh Lookin at Lady,
Ooh-Ahh Aint she fine,
Ooh Ahh Betta not touch her,
Ooh-Ahh Cuz She'll blow your mind!
Turn around (CLAP 3X)
Touch the ground (CLAP 3X)
i said a get a get a get a get on down Say what!?
A get a get a get a get on down

Here's the setup of the game: the kids who are playing have to stand in two lines like soul train... when they say "jump in the car" everyone jumps once then claps..."step on the gas" everyone stretches out their right foot and stomps it down...."move to the side"...everyone moves back...and let (NAME) pass" the first person in the line goes down the middle and does a dance while the other kids say "ooh ah lookin at lady, ooh ahh aint she fine, ooh ahh betta not touch her, ooh ahh cuz she'll blow your mind. ...when they say "turn around" the girl in the line turns..."touch the ground" the same girl touches the ground...then " i said a get a get a get a get on down" the girl has to get down as low as she can...when the person in the middle is done, the next person goes.
-MeLLi ; 5/12/2007; cocojams.com
-snip-
Notice that this cheer is performed by girls forming two lines like Soul Train...

****
JUMP IN THE CAR (Version #2)
Jump in the car
Put your foot on the gas
Jump back and let ___ pass
She got that whip, whop
Look at that booty
Whip, whop
Don't it look good
Whip, whop
I know you want some
Whip, whop
But you can't get none
Whip, whop
-hotsunset28 http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers, 8/18/2006

****
GET IN THE CAR (a version of "Jump InTheCar", #3)
group: get in the car
press the gas
move out the way and let Kelli pass

(Kelli gets in the middle/out front & does her dance)

group: she said whoop wop (doing dance)
Kelli: look @ that booty
group: whoomp wop
Kelli: ain't it purty
group: whoop wop
kelli: u want some? u ain't gettin none!
-12dn94dst, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=31403&page=5, 03-31-2003
-snip-
Notice in the directions that the soloist gets into the middle (of the circle) or out in front (of the line) to do her dance.
@ = at

****
JUMP UP JUMP BACK
Jump up
Jump back
Introduce yourself

Reina, hello, hello
Libra, hello hello

Jump up
Jump back
Introduce yourself
-reinforcement, http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/43158-Hood-Cheers/page5, 8/20/2006

****
This concludes Part III of this series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment