Blackstreet - Booti Call [Remix]
aft3rTh0ught, Feb 9, 2010
****
Edited by Azizi Powell
This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series about Blackstreet's 1994 records "Booti Call" and Boot Call [Remix].
This post showcases a YouTube sound file of Blackstreet's "Booti Call [Remix]. This record has been used for the Booti Call (also given as "Booty Call") line dance since its release in 1994.
This post presents some information about terms that are used for Soul line dancing and also presents some comments from the discussion thread of this embedded YouTube sound file.
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2026/09/blackstreets-1994-song-booti-call-sound.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. That post showcases a YouTube sound file of Blackstreet's original 1994 song "Booti Call". This post also presents information about the R&B group Blackstreet and information about the meaning of the African American Vernacular English term "Booti call". In addition, this pancocojams post presents selected comments from the discussion thread of this embedded YouTube sound file.
The content of this post is presented for historical, socio-cultural, and entertainment purposes.
All copyrights remain with their owners.
Thanks to Blackstreet for their musical legacy. Thanks to all those who were associated with this record and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the publisher of this sound file on YouTube.
-snip-
Click __ for Part I of a closely related pancocojams series on YouTube videos from 2007-2026 of Soul line dances that have been performed to Blackstreet's "Booti Call [Remix]" record. The links to the other two posts in that series will be given in that post.
****
EXPLANATION OF TERMS FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN LINE DANCING IN THE UNITED STATES
Additions and corrections are welcome.
"Soul line dancing" is another referent for "African American line dancing".
African American (Soul) line dancing can be divided into two main categories:
1. Urban line dancing (mostly to R&B/Funk, Hip Hop music, but also to some Gospel music)
Urban line dancing originated in cities such as Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the Eastern region of the United States and Cleveland, Ohio and Detroit, Michigan in the Midwestern region of the United States.
2. Trail Ride (Country) line dancing. (mostly to Southern Soul music. Note that African American Country line dancing refers to line dancing to Zydeco music. However, that type of line dancing isn't called Trail Ride dancing.
Trail ride line dancing originated in states such as Texas, Louisiana, and South Carolina in the Southern region of the United States.
**
The term "Steppas" ("Steppaz") is a referent for Trail Ride (Soul) line dancers and "Steppas/"Steppaz versions is a term for the way that Steppas/Steppaz performed a particular line dance.
****
Here's an AI Overview about the use of certain terms in the United States to refer to line dances:
AI Overview
Line dances are primarily referred to as "hustles"
in Michigan (particularly the Detroit area) and Toledo, Ohio.
Here are key regional terms for line dancing across the United States:
Michigan and Toledo, Ohio: Called Hustles (such as the
Detroit Hustle or local routines like the G.Q. Hustle).
Midwestern cities like Chicago, Illinois, Wisconsin,
Minnesota, and St. Louis, Missouri: Called Slides.
Nashville, Tennessee: Urban line dancing is referred to as
Twines.
West Coast (California and Nevada): Historically referred to
as Step Dances before the term line dancing became widespread"
****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS EMBEDDED YOUTUBE SOUND FILE
Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.
https://youtu.be/XHu3ZSWGPW4?si=hqy_XvX36TW5-kU61. @monicawism
"One of the best party/dance song...cannot sit still while
this song is on...."
2. @artlocc
"
3.
"this song is still one of the best dance song ever."
**
Reply
4. @sidneypittmanjr.4831, 2026
"If you like dancing this song is for you, make you do things
on the dance floor you forget you knew how to do."
5. @rvstuff5
"This is the version used for the line dance, it's the KC
Miami remix"
-snip-
"KC"= Kansas City, Missouri; "Miami"= Miami, Florida
6. @beverlyrobinson3551, 2015
"This is one badass line dance record!! Still playing in the
clubs NOW!! Nobody sits down on this one! BEST remix of the '90s!"
**
Reply
7. @clydejones1934, 2025
"Indeed"
**
8. @JustoBlondo
"suddenly sees the entire cookout go wild HAHA I LOVE BEING
BLACK!"
**
Reply
9. @Whereyahidin, 2018
"ππ"
**
Reply
10. @tiffanydouglas2686, 2018
"Same here. I loved it!"
Reply
11. @DurellSmith, 2019
"
****
2016
12. @craigjohnson8279
"This was the best remix of this song."
**
13. @cojuanstevens998
"I remember buying the CD single back in 94 and this version
was on there. I still have the cd."
**
14. @ampmocarnes
"I remember Electric Sliding to this in the club."
****
2017
15. @yolandaclemot1259
"so many moves for this song , so vibrating feeling you could
not help yourself but go to the dance floor"
Reply
16. @LaeKdot, 2026
"Best version ever"
**
17. @b.rodclark7349
"as a mobile DJ in '94 I was rocking this before
it became a hustle record"
Reply
18. @AndreaMSarmiento
"B. Rod Clark , I'd play this in the club and everyone else got out their seats."
****
2018
19. @DurellSmith
"This was that thang back in the day in Dayton, Ohio!!!!! Gem
city jams!!!!!!!!! BBQ, family reunions, summer time, block parties, we
jammmmmmmedddd!!!!!"
20. @djdmvsdanavigator5034
"You got to play the Mississippi slide before this to get some of them dancing"
21.
"I've never heard this version before,
but I like it much better than the original version."
**
Reply
22. @kimmie1402, 2020
"Oh yeah this was the underground
Version. We used to roll to this at the rink."
-snip-
"roll to this at the rink" =skate to this record at the roller skating rink
**
Reply
23. @williewhitaker5299, 2023
"This was the best version hard to find back in the days."
**
24. @jamietaylor9732
"This is one of the classics.... THE BADDEST line dance to
date! this one got everybody up, as soon as the intro came on you knew what
time it was. The 90's had THE BEST MUSIC, coming from a 90's baby! LETS BOOTY
CALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!"
25. @cindyloujone9391
"OLD OR YOUNG THIS CUT MAKES U MOVE, SOME OR ALL PARTS OF YOUR BODY"
**
26. @perfectly_imperfect7972
"Detroit classic hustle song right here!!!!"
**
27. @artlocc
"Akron line dancing!
My god this was live as hell.
All the way to Cleveland. Ohio was live as hell to this.
97-2002"
-snip-
Akron is a city in the state of Ohio (USA).
**
28. @pbstoyhunt
"Came out when I was stationed in VA and men and women still
danced TOGETHER! Lol
This got everybody up and on the floor!"
Reply
29. Naughty by Norfolk 4 ever!
**
30.
"Yes! When men and ladies dance together...fun times. What in
the world happened??? Smh."
**
31. @tammyparker8964
"Still the jam"
**
32. @williamdavis3567
"Ain't no call like a booty call! What!!
33. @joeyforrest3926
"Man this takes me back to the start of my senior year of
high school in '94"
**
34. @dflowers1646
"STILL JAMMIN IN 2020. THIS THAT PARTY STARTER RIGHT HERE."
**
35. @gwenwiseman2628
"2020, dancing in the living room cuz of COVID... Who’s line
dancing with me?"
****
2021
36. @kicker19539
"This is one of those songs that will ALWAYS be
played at black family reunions"
37. @anthonynicholson9101
"I was stationed @ Langley AFB during the 90s and remember this pumping in the clubs..Damn sick jam !!!!! Yo, it's Teddy..who ? Mr. Rump Shaker..!!!!"
**
38. @tinanbob
"This song gets me moving to the dance floor. I'm usually the one leading the line dance and I learned it while drunk many years ago, lol"
**
Reply
39. @kathyburton4372
"Everyone raise your hand if you were at your school night on
your elementary school’s (4th and and 5th
graders of course) roller rink with this song on in the background. Ring
pop on your pointer finger. Rollerblades on your feet, five bucks in your back
pocket. Nachos and watered down cokes. Staying out till nine ‘clock. Damn I
miss the 90’s. I could never roller skate ... not even then ..."
**
Reply
40. @lamontasimpson5073, 2022
"This song STILL goes as hard as it did years ago. As soon as the first note hit my friends and
I ran to the dancefloor....boy, those were the days!!"
41. @titlaat9292
"This gets played at every black family reunion, cookout, graduation party, wedding reception etc. Tell me I’m lying π€£"
**
Reply
42. @jettavcomedy, 2023
"You ain’t lying!!! π"
2022
43. @DemomanX614
"Ok, so it's the remix that you want. Not the original."
44. @candib.7882
"We used to do this dance for HOURS I LOVE BEING BLACK. It’s kinda dangerous but it’s LITTTT π"
**
45. @Lante216
"π€£ in Cleveland this a line dance classic"
**
Reply
46. @Breezycupcake1990, 2025
"FACTSππ"
**
Reply
47. @brandonabel6939
"Finally found the name of the song ohhh we get down on this joint down here in Miami"
**
Reply
48. @jenniferhawks1160, 2026
"This song n the perulator would have people that's confined to a wheelchair up n dancing! Lmaoπ "
-snip-
"the perculator" = line dance tune "It's Time For The Perculator"
49.
"2022 and I still bump this!!!"
****
2023
"Nov 2023 and this still bops~"
**
51. @jessiestewert707
"Me and my friends would always hit the dance floor when this one came on! I miss those daysπππ"
**
52. @nathanielhenderson5489
"Family reunion, basement parties! Ballroom parties, this is for the true steppers.."
**
"I remember going to NA Conventions with my Granny when I was a little girl this was the famous line dance song and I would get out in the center and dance my life away with the old folks!πππ"
**
54. @reynoldgodine9486
"Oh we man this jam made the girls get on the dance floor and made you want them"
****
2024
"Where all my REAL line dancer at??"
**
56. @freedom4mealways
"The 90s was known for great rap! Booti Call was no exception. Booti Call was always played when clubs issued last call."
**
Reply
57. @SweetTee71, 2025
"This never get old"
****
2025
58. @lamyronbutler5099
"I was today years old when I realized that they Δot this
beat from boogie shoes from kc and the sunshine band"
**
Reply
59. @williamwhitaker8829
"Yeah take it to the house Trick Daddy and others...."
**
60. @TheCompLink
"Teddy was hughly underrated for his talent!!"
-snip-
"Teddy"= Teddy Riley
**
Reply
61. @anthonygraves9039
"Actually he's highly recognized as one of the pioneer
inventors of the new Jack swing era, and producers of 80s/90s π"
**
62. @cynthiajohnson2193
"CLUB MUSIC RIGHT THERE BABY AYEEEEEEEEEEE
AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE STILL LISTENING IN 2025 BABY ❤️π₯°π₯°π₯°ππΎππΎ"
**
63. @thaflygirl1
"Babbeee this was my jamsz.
I cleared the dance
floor on this here joint."
**
64. @cynthiajohnson2193
"I'M 51 YEARS OLD BBY I'M TWERKING TO THIS SONG
BABY AYEEEEEEEE AYEEEEEEEE ππΎπ₯π₯°"
**
65. @MekkheiWilliams-j8y
"Man it’s the best for me when they mixed the atomic dog with
it"
66.
"Interesting…I’m 56 and they used to play this in the clubs
in my city all the time…I never heard the original."
**
67. @thaflygirl1
"Texas, here! And this was the jamsz.@NaturallyTee68 we stayed on the floor when this came on.
We had a dance but it wasn't what they doing now."
**
68. @cynthiajohnson2193
"STILL A BANGER BABY AYEEEEEEEEE LOVE THIS SONG BABY π₯π₯ππΎπ₯ππΎ❤️❤️❤️π₯°π₯°π₯°π₯°"
69.
"My mom just played this and I asked her who it was…thought
it was a new song like boots on the ground"
**
70. @4truth7
"This is and still is the Jam !!!
**
71. @GQueTv
"CLASSIC !!! Took me 20 years to find this song and they just
played it on 93.1 wzak radio station in my city !!! Now it’ll be on repeat"
72.
"This gets played at every family reunion, picnic, cookout,
birthday party, graduation party, wedding reception.
**
Reply
73. @Breezycupcake1990
"No lies were told in the typing of this comment πππππππππ"
**
Reply
74. @essence1771
@Breezycupcake1990
PERIOD! This cut classic is still π₯π₯ in
75.
"Song so fire, been on repeat since i rediscovered it"
**
Reply
76. @TreemayneMc
"Rediscovery for real"
**
77.@nessaj4522
"Boooy weee tare the floor up with the step that goes to
this. Yeeeees Boooty Calll baby BlackStrrrreeet!!❤'rooof!! 2025❤"
"Maaaat .... I.never heard this song before .. ...ππΏππΏππΏππΏ"
**
79.@rubysweet7251
"I had never heard this song before or seen this dance until
a couple of days ago."
**
Reply
80. @williamwhitaker8829, 2026
"It came out in 94....."
2026
81. @rickjohnson36
"I played this every weekend at the club and bars in Pittsburgh"
-snip-
"Pittsburgh" probably refers to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
**
82. @anthonygraves9039
"Heyyyy come onnn nowwww black folk music"
**
83. @anthonygraves9039
"Black folk music π₯π₯π₯ this will forever jam!! Teddy Rileys production in 80s and 90s"
**
84. @mg682
"I had no idea backstreet did this record. I've known them for "Joy". Talk about a tonal difference"
**
Reply
85. @dancegeekfitness6402
"Where do I find it? I can’t find it on Amazon or Apple
Music!?"
**
Reply
86. @GQueTv.
"@dancegeekfitness6402 you know what , I actually only found it here
on YouTube. I can’t find it on Apple Music either. The original blackstreet
booti call is on there but not this remix"
**
87. @jenniferhawks1160
"This song n the perulator would have people that's confined
to a wheelchair up n dancing! Lmaoπ
**
88. @shayanagriffin
"This was the song used for the line dance in the 90s/early
00s until it was remixed again for “BACK IT UP! THEN JUMP!!!” "
**
89. cornelliztonyjr
"This is one of the best line dance"
This concludes Part II of this pancocojams series.
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.
Visitor comments are welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment