Translate

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

What "Hold Out" And "Until My Change Come" Mean In The African American Gospel Song "Lord, Help Me To Hold Out"


Marcel West, Dec 11, 2011

Turner Hughes leads "Lord Help Me To Hold Out" with the Detroit Mass Choir
-snip-
Total # of views as of September 20, 2024 at 9:24 PM = 7,479,481 **** Edited by Azizi Powell This post is part of an ongoing pancocojams series on African American Vernacular English. This pancocojams post showcases a YouTube video of  the Detroit Mass Choir singing Rev. James Cleveland's 1973 song "Lord, Help Me To Hold Out".

This post presents the lyrics for this song and my explanations of the African American Vernacular English words "hold out" and "until my change come" in the context of that Gospel song.

Some comments from this video's discussion thread are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for religious, historical, linguistic, and aesthetic purposes.

Thanks to Rev. James Cleveland, the composer of this song for his musical legacy and thanks to the Detroit Mss Choir that is showcased in this post. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post, and thanks to the publishers of these examples.
-snip- Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/11/rev-james-cleveland-lord-help-me-to.html for the 2015 pancocojams post entitled "Rev. James Cleveland - "Lord, Help Me To Hold Out" (YouTube sound file, information, & lyrics)". 

****
LYRICS: LORD HELP ME TO HOLD OUT

(Rev. James Cleveland, 1973)

Chorus:
Lord, help me to hold out (3X)
Until my change come
I believe we ought to say that one more time
Lord help me to hold out , please Lord wont you help me
I begging you Lord pleaset Jesus Help Me to to Hold out
Until my Until My change come,

Verse 2:
My way may not easy
You did not say that it would be
But when it gets dark
I can't see my way
You told me to put my trust in Thee
That's why I'm asking you
Lord Jesus Lord Jesus Help me to Hold out I am just
about to make it over I need a little help help the
Devil tryn to stop me
GO TO CHORUS

Verse 1:
Lord I need you to help me to hold out
though the mountain tops too high
I need you to help me to hold out
Give me the patience I need to hold out
Thank you Jesus---Until

choir
until my change come

Refrain:

Lord help me to hold out (8X)
I believe I can hold out (sopranos,altos) (4-6X)
Hold out (tenors)
Lord Jesus Help Me to hold out , believe i can make
master Lord help me , been cryn in the mid night hour
if i can only hear from heaven, Lord
All
Until my change come (3X)

Source: 
http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/james-cleveland-lyrics/lord-help-me-to-hold-out-lyrics.html

*I corrected the spelling of the word "believe" and the word "too" in this transcription..

****
WHAT "HOLD OUT" MEANS IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GOSPEL SONG
In the context of the Gospel song "Lord, Help Me To Hold Out", the African American Vernacular English meaning of the phrase "hold out"  is "to endure" while experiencing trouble (difficulties). Other synonyms for that meaning are "to persevere", "to keep going on", "to hold on",  and "to not give up". Hold out" has other Vernacular English meanings than these meanings.

****

WHAT "UNTIL MY CHANGE COMES" MEANS IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS  AFRICAN AMERICAN GOSPEL SONG
I believe that most people interpret the words "
until my change come" in the Gospel song "Lord, Help Me To Hold Out" to mean "when things change (improve) for the better" i.e. "when a difficult situation ends or is resolved. This interpretation of those words is supported by many of the comments in discussion threads of YouTube examples of that song, including many of the comments that are quoted in the compilation that is found below. 

However, that isn't the Biblical meaning of the phrase "til my change come". 

The Biblical source for the words "until my change comes" is Job 14:15 (King James Version) 

"If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come."

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=2113480

**
I've only come across a few online examples where the commenter interprets "until my change  come" to mean "when I die."

One of the comments in the compilation below (comment #__) interprets "when my change come" to be the last days prophesied in Revelations when the trumpet sounds and all those who have ever died, rise from their graves, and everyone faces a final judgment.  

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
(with numbers added for referencing purposes only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWazCDZI5co

1.@bricktothehead, 2012
"
This church is like my church was I a little boy. You can see the steadfast-ness of the saints."

**
2. @mrtyroneb,2012
"
I'm just asking, but does any choir sing the verse to this classic James Cleveland song anymore??? "Lord, I need you to help me hold out. Cause the mountains are too high...I need you to help me to hold out. Give me the patience, I need to hold out..until my change come" Don't get me wrong...THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! Just asking a fair question! Sing, Turner!!!"

**
3. @konata1229, 2012
"
I don't care what they say Detroit is the gospel capital....."

**
4. @RandleEichelberger, 2011
"
Sopranos! YES!"

**
5. @renitasmith2720, 2014
"T
he Lord is giving me the strength to hod out, the devil is trying to get me to fall. I shall have the VICTORY."

**
Reply

"renita smith Amen!"

**
Reply
7. @OakVisionz, 2020
"
Yes you shall. We all shall"

**
8.@garyrobertson6778,2015
"
30 years ago i listened to rev. james cleveland sing this and thought it was just a great choir jam. but now, it resonates deeply. when i was a child, i thought as a child..."

**
9. @love100057, 2015
"
IN SUCH TIMES AS THESE, LORD HELP US TO HOLD OUT!!"

**
10. @Donshel4, 2015
"
I wish I could find an old school church like this......"

**

"Old school gospel always hits the spot."

**
Reply
12. @gcmproductions3499, 2017
"
this newer stuff dont do nothing for me"

**
Reply
13. @msnat61, 2018
"
You got THAT right! Old School Gospel songs are TIMELESS unlike this fluff that comes and quickly fades.."

**
14. @sandrafranks7627, 2016
"
It's amazing how many thumbs down this video received old classic of James Cleveland and James Ford and they sound fantastic , how can you possibly give this a thumbs down , they sound fantastic . These are real bonafide voices , no computerized voices nor computerized instruments . Nothing digital going on here ." -snip- Since around 2022 the thumbs down icon on YouTube is still shown but no longer is an option.

**
Reply
15. @gospmusluver, 2016
"
Probably a bunch of young people who rather hear gospel rap or some mess like that"

**
Reply
16. @carolenejackson2686, 2018
"
People now a day's do not understand the power these song have, they usher in the presence of God"

**
17. @alorebay2593, 2018
"
What 202 thumbs down? They must don’t know, God can bring you through the tough times if you repent from your wrong doin(sin), pray read His word to strengthen you and trust that at the proper time you will look back on that time through eyes of victory! I been through hard times all around in marriage, on job situations, raising children, but in (not for), in everything I gave thanks and did not fail to praise God and I have the victory. I’m waiting on one more thing (no three), but I know I got that too, Lord helps me to hold out" ** 18. @rhondaamber1680, 2017
"
♪'Lord help me to hold out'♪ Brilliant UK 15/03/2017 8:55am (right back to work ;-) ) Thanks Marcel West for upload!"

**
People now days don't understand real Classic Gospel Music like this.Sad because there missing the real meaning. Great concert.
**
20. @rev.marytillman1377, 2017
Excellent harmony and a song we need to sing in these times of uncertainty!!! Sing Choir! Radio Angel, St Louis, MO
** **
"I wish we would get back to these great hymns."
** 23. @CurtisNelson96,2018
"
Dude sound like James Cleveland lol great song praise God."
** 24. @gdxll3472, 2018
**
"Lord what a powerful song and choir" ** Reply 26. @patking1404, 2019 "Sing y'all"
**
"Foot stomping and that soprano ..lawd help me to hold out .. y'all better sang ¡!!"
**
26. @Teebee407, 2019
** Reply
"Sho you RIGHT Tee Bee!"
**
"This is the Most beautiful music!!! Just imagine how it will be in Heaven, when All of God's singers get home. Amen."

**

"This is one of my favorite James Cleveland songs."

**

"I've always wanted to sing in a church choir as awesome as this one"

**

"Omg. I cant get enough of this song. Lord help us to hold out in the name of Jesus"

**
32. @bettystubbs6083, 2019
"
Not putting Todays Gospel songs down but they just don't touch the spirit like old school Gospel something is missing."

**

"Back in the 70s when I was in college, they used to sing this song at this COGIC church in San Francisco on Sunday nights as they began their broadcast."

**

**

**

"Another brother who kills the song, and DO NOT MOVE."

**
37. @johnyoung7734, 2020
"My brothers & sisters soon & very soon help is on the way, so hold on a little bit longer."

**
38. @frantzolfert2661, 2020
"
The Gospel to the world ! - Frantz Olfert / Denmark"

**
39.@markchwala2913,2020
"The young people of today dont understand the deep meaning and message of these songs, they are part of the foundation of the church! there is a history behind these songs. When i read the book 101 Hymn stories it opened my eyes. people wrote these songs out of their joys and sorrows their lifes story! These songs will stand the test of time until Jesus comes! There is message in these songs just listen and you will recieve, the Holy Spirit is powerful!"

**
40. @tosin9731, 2020
"I love this song. It really a good song to listen to in this trying period."

**
41.@lindalyte7307, 2020
"
There is nothing like" Classic" Old School....Gospel

.......Nothing !!!!!️"

**
42.@kennethjones3580, 2020
"H
e’s been helping me each day ...until my change comes 2020"

**
43. @wandafields-piepho7066, 2020
"My God the musicians! Praise Him band!"

**

"What a beautiful arrangement! This song provides a classic traditional gospel sound, and the bass line is to LIVE for!! #2020"

**
45. @floydbrice2205, 2020
"Yes, Lord. Help Me to Hold Out. A married man's go-to song. A great classic from the '70s. Thank God for the musical talents of the great late James Cleveland."

**
46. @scooby15143, 2020
"THIS is what I needed this morning!!! Praise God"

**
47. @nilacurry4230, 2020
"
That bass was real stanky... they don’t make music like this no more"

**
48. @tanyatoliver8398, 2020
"
Thank you Jesus for helping me to hold out!!"

**
49. @pattyj7101, 2020
"This song will always make a hard day better "

**
50. @bethcause5526, 2020
"
Old school! Yes! ️ The Detroit Mass Choir! Praise the Lord!"

**
51. @Pisces3370, 2021
"
Yess I needed to hear this "

**
52. @CandyCaneLane5678, 2021
"My THEME song for this pandemic "

**

"Volley Craig on bass! There's a good reason he was Aretha's last bass player!"

**

"Please help us in this this time of trouble. Father we need you every day."

**
54. @unitedbankofmuneh6247,2021
"I aint even from this religion but when i see these people singing makes me want to be"

**

"This is what i needed. My soul was crying out during this CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, ECONOMIC DOWNFALL, RACIAL INSURRECTION, POLITICAL ELECTIONS, LORD HELP US TO HOLD OUT"

**
Reply
56. @missmaddy4024, 2021
"I'm with you"

**
57. 
@cathyjones1446, 2021
"OH Lord My God help us as a black people to hold out until our change comes. Keep us Strong, Keep us Faithful, Keep us fighting on the battlefield."

**
Reply
58. @carolina_peach1, 2021
"
In Jesus’ Name, Amen ️."

**
59. @DavidLopez-qi9zr
,2021
"Thank You Thank You Lord for our brethren with the Detroit Mass choir. What a wonderful blessing and encouragement. All Glory and Honor to Jesus amen ."

**
60. @savvycha, 2021
"
Love this and Storm Is Passing Over. Detroit Mass is up there w the best of the best. Thank you YouTube!"

**

"Now THIS is the real gospel singing!! When your parents had you in Sunday School..Red Circle...BTU... Mississippi Valley Congress...Choir Practice!! & Revival!! Thank you Jewell Harris!!! My momma!!!!"

**
62. @traceywright3974, 2021
"
Now this is having church!!!!"

**
63. @ledricsherman3777, 2021
"The Lord is still helping us hold out in 2022! "

**

**
"Dear Lord help me to hold out until you come for us in the Great Gettng UP Morning."

**

**

Our youth choir sang this back in 1977. Great memories"

**
68. 
@ramonarichardson68, 2021
"This song was in my Spirit this morning and I had to hear. Thank You Jesus! Thank You Lord for helping me to Hold Out!!! Yes Lord!!!"

**
69. 
@love100057, 2022
"Love Seeing the Use to Be Choirs, gradually coming back after the crucial phase of the Pandemic. We have these old videos to cherished, God is Good 05/01/2022. "

"We need to go back to them old song that when we had go old church it took me back when I was a young girl keep up the good work"

**
71. @cherokeejames963, 2023
"Lord help me to hold on and out."

**

"Right on Time "

**

"my dear brothers and sisters...from as far back as I can remember, nothing has encouraged my soul more deeply than gospel choir! I do dearly love "The Storm is Passing Over!" Keep on singing!!! Keep holding on and holding out!!!"

**
74. @jobsithole9017, 2023
"
It warms the heart completely from Zimbabwe with Love"

**

"I am writing from Athens Greece. I am proud and grateful to have served the Detroit community in the late '70's early 80's when I was doing my residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Internal Medicine. In the Greek Orthodox Church there is the word "alleloperihorisis". Don't try to read it. What is important is the meaning: It means giving each other space while remaining embraced. The purpose is to: "anv schomen tas kardias ina en omonia omologisomen Patera Yion kai Agion Pneuma". Meaning "to lift our hearts up to confess the Father and The Son and the Holy Ghost as ONE". This is what this wonderful music performed with artistic skill but also sincerity and reverence is doing. The DMC is leading you to the gate of Heaven. Cherish and love it with all your heart."

**
76.
@marybracy8087, 2023
"Woke up with this song in my spirit."

**

"Lord help me to hold out until this mortal shall become IMMORTAL in Jesus Name! Thank you JESUS!"

**
78. @sharriegreen3959,2024
"When I was a Child My Youth Choir use To Rock The Church With This Song "

**

"I pray for help and patience from the LORD...the only help that comes from the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY. "

**

"Lord give me strength! "

**

"That's my daily prayer."

**
82. @kathrynbullock3128
,2024

"Still an old time FAVORITE!"

**

"I truly love Black Gospel music I was born in a Christian family raised in Christian churches converted to Al-Islam became a Muslim , still I love to hear Black Gospel music ️"

**

"When I get tired this is one of my go to songs. Grew up on this song"

**

"LORD PLEASE HELP ME TO HOLD OUT IN THE NAME OF JESUS "

**

"This my bout 6th time playing this morning"

**
87. @deborahlee2944, 2024
"
They don't sing songs like these anymore. Let go back to the old time song when it really met something. I was raised on songs like these. Oops let me not tell me age. LOL "


**
88. @waderose5258, 2024
"Lord i am Holding unto your unchanging Hands..."

**

"Lord, help me to hold out. Give me the patience to wait until my change and blessings come. My trust is in You, oh Lord. "

**

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment