Translate

Saturday, May 25, 2024

"i'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion" (African American Old Gospel videos, lyrics, & information)


Maurice Middleton, Jul 17, 2013

2013 Edisto Fork Music Festival Choir and Dr. James Abbington Associate Professor of Worship, Candler School of Theology At Emory University, giving examples of Congregational Singing. "I'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion".
-snip-
This choir is probably from Edisto Island, South Carolina.

I believe that the word "fork" is a typo for the word "folk"

****
This pancocojams post showcases several videos of the African American Gospel song "I'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion". This song is sometimes given as "I'm Glad" and is a different song than the much more familiar old Gospel song "Gimme That Old Time Religion" also known as "It's The Old Time Religion"


The basic lyrics of  "I'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion" are presented in this post along with information about how this song was sung.

The content of this post is presented for historical, religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composer/s of this song and thanks to all those who are featured in these showcase videos. Thanks also to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SONG
"I'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion" is an African American Gospel call & response song from the American South. According to the introduction for this song that is given in two of the YouTube videos that are embedded in this pancocojams post, the song was sung as a way for church people to "represent" the day that they got their religion (meaning "accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior", "were saved", "joined the church." 

The song has a verse for each day of the week. On the day that people "got that old time religion", they would stand up and shout (give God the praise).

****
LYRICS - I'M GLAD I GOT THAT OLD TIME RELIGION * 
(unknown composer/s)

Leader- I’m glad
Choir/congregation - (I’m glad)
I got
(I got)
That old time religion
(That old time religion)
I’m glad
(I’m glad)
I got
(I got)
that old time religion
(that old time religion)
Leader and choir/congregation)
I'm glad
I'm glad
I'm glad

[It was] on Monday
(on Monday)
I got
(I got)
that old time religion
(that old time religion)
It was] on Monday
(on Monday)
I got
(I got)
that old time religion
(that ole time religion)
(Leader and choir/congregation)
I’m glad
I’m glad
I’m glad

[Sing each subsequent verse with the next day of the week. After “Sunday end with the chorus that is given above as the first verse.]

*This is my transcription of the basic lyrics for the first video of this song, excluding the substitution of other interjections such as "Well", "Church", or "You know". Additions and corrections are welcome.

****
OTHER YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF THIS SONG

SHOWCASE VIDEO #2 - I Got That Oldtime Religion - Apostolic Church Of God


LiftHimHigh, Sep 9, 2007

The Apostolic Church Of God sings, "I'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion"  Today neither we do not sing songs with conviction nor live the life of Christ as we did.  I am glad I've got the 'oldtime' religion!
-snip-
Here are two comments from the discussion thread for this video (with numbers added for referencing purposes only)
1.  
@fnihp30, 2007
"Apostolic Church of God (ACOG) in Chicago, IL. is an independent Apostolic Pentacostal-faith church".

**
2. @MrCrossIsBoss,2010
"I remember the Sunday morning when I saw this exact taping on television.  Unbelievable to see it again over seventeen years later...time flies!!!  This choir was unique:  they were way ahead of their time; the band was phenominal for a "regular" church band; they sang with such heart, and they hardly released any albums (or regretfully, CD's) as most Chicago church choirs did at the time."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #3 - I'm Glad I Got That Old Time Religion

AM13, May 27, 2010

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment