Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2024

How Many Of These African American Gospel Songs That Were Sung In The 1880s By The Fisk Jubilee Singers Do You Know?

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post provides a list of Gospel songs that were sung by The Fisk Jubilee Singers. These songs along with their lyrics and musical scores were published in an 1880 book edited by J. B. T. Marsh, The Story of the Jubilee Singers with Their Songs. (publisher Houghton Mifflin). Several other editions of this book were published in the USA and UK.

This list of 133 African American Gospel songs is from a ais from the Mudcat folk music forum discussion thread that was started in 2010 by Q (Frank Staplin) entitled "
Jubilee Songs, Fisk Jubilee Singers.

The content of this post is presented for historical, religious, and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composers of these Gospel songs and thanks to J. B. T. Marsh for editing a book about this subject.  Thanks also to all those commenters from Mudcat folk music form who compiled this list and shared lyrics of these songs and comments about these songs on that online folk music forum.
-snip-
I'm aware that there are African American Gospel songs that have the same title, but have different lyrics and/or different tunes.

However, I believe that pancocojams visitors may be interested in reading this list and identifying which songs on this list they are familiar with and other people may be familiar with.  

The lyrics for some of the Gospel songs that were included in that 1880 book are included in that Mudcat discussion thread. 
 
****
A LIST OF AFRICAN AMERICAN GOSPEL SONGS THAT WERE SUNG BY THE FISK JUBILEE SINGERS

From https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=129086

Subject: Jubilee Songs, Fisk Jubilee Singers
From: Q (Frank Staplin)
Date: 26 Apr 10 - 05:22 PM


"Jubilee Songs

 

1. A great Camp-meeting in the promised land

2. A Happy New Year

3. A little more faith in Jesus

4. Anchor in the Lord

5. Angels Waiting at the door

 

6. Been a listening

7. Benediction

8. Bright sparkles in the Churchyard

 

9. Children, you'll be called on

10. Children, we all shall be free

11. Chilly Water

12.  Come, all of God's children

13. Come down, angels

14. Come, let us all go down

 

15. Deep River

16. Did not old Pharoah get lost?

17. Didn't my Lord deliver Daniel

18. Don't you grieve after me

19. Down by the River

 

20. Farewell, my brother

21. From every grave-yard

 

22. Gabriel's Trumpet's going to blow

23. Getting ready to die

24. Gideon's Band

25. Give me Jesus

26. Go down Moses

27. Go, chain the lion down

28. Good-bye, Brothers

29. Good news, the chariot's coming

30. Good old Chariot

31. Grace

32. Gwine to ride up in the Chariot

 

33. Hail! Hail!

34. Hard trials

35. He arose

36. He rose from the dead

37. He's the Lily of the Valley

 

38. I am going to die no more

39. I ain't got weary yet

40. I know that my Redeemer lives

41. I'll hear the trumpet sound

42. I'm a rolling

43. I'm a travelling to the grave

44. I'm going to live with Jesus

45. I'm going to sing all the way

46. I'm so glad (no. 32)

50. I'm so glad (no. 107)

51. I'm troubled in mind

52. I want to be ready; or, walk in Jerusalem just like John

53. In Bright Mansions above

54. Inching along

55. In the River of Jordan

56. In that great getting-up morning

57. I've been in the storm so long

58. I've been redeemed

59. I've just come from the Fountain

 

60. John Brown's Body

61. Judgement-day is rolling round

62. Judgement will find you so

 

63. Keep me from sinking down

66. Keep your lamps trimmed and burning

 

67. Listen to the angels

68. Love feast in Heaven

69. Lord, I wish I had a come

70. Lord's Prayer

 

71. Many thousand gone

72. March on

73. Mary and Martha

74. Move along

75. My good Lord's been here

76. My Lord, what a mourning

77. My Lord's writing all the time

78. My ship is on the ocean

79. My way's cloudy

80. Nobody knows the trouble I see

81. Now we take this feeble body

 

82. Oh! holy Lord

83. Oh, Brothers are you getting ready?

84. Oh, give me the wings

85. Oh, make a-me holy

86. Oh, wasn't that a wide river

87. Oh, yes! Oh, yes!

88. Old ship of Zion

89. O redeemed

90. O! Sinner Man

 

91. Peter, go ring them bells

92. Prepare us

93. Reign, Master Jesus

94. Reign, O reign

95. Ride on, King Jesus

96. Rise and Shine

97. Rise, Mourners

98. Rise, shine, for thy light is a-coming

99. Roll, Jordan, roll

100. Room enough

101. Run to Jesus

 

102. Save me, Lord, save me

103. Shine, shine (no. 28)

104. Shine, shine (no. 98)

105. Sweet Canaan

106. Show me the way

107. Some of these mornings

108. Steal away

109. Swing low, sweet Chariot

 

110.  ' Tis Jordan's River

111.The General Roll

112. The Gospel train

113. The Rocks and the Mountains

114. The Angels changed my Name

115. There's a meeting here tonight

116.The Ten Virgins

117. The work's being done

118. They led my Lord away

119. This Old Time religion

120. Turn back Pharoah's army

 

121. Wait a little while

122. Way over Jordan

123. We are almost home

124. We are climbing the hills of Zion

125. We'll die in the Field

126. We'll overtake the Army

127. We'll stand the Storm

128. We shall walk thro' the valley

129. What kind of shoes are you going to wear

130. When Moses smote the water

131. When shall I get there

132. Wrestling Jacob

 

133. Zion's Children


All with musical scores. J. B. T. Marsh, The Story of the Jubilee Singers with Their Songs. 1880s, Houghton Mifflin. Songs appear in several editions, USA and UK, 1870s-1880s."...
-snip-
I added numbers to these songs for referencing purposes.

The songs weren't given in alphabetical order in that book which means that those songs didn't have the same numbers that I gave to them in that book.

Also, one comment in that Mudcat discussion thread mentions that there are 128 songs in that book. That number doesn't double count songs that have the same title.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Here's the list of African American Gospel songs that were sung by the Fisk Jubilee Singers that I'm familiar with.
    Note: I'm a 76 year old African American woman from Atlantic City, New Jersey. I learned many of these songs from my Baptist church in that city.

    1. A great Camp-meeting in the promised land

    3. A little more faith in Jesus

    15. Deep River

    17. Didn't my Lord deliver Daniel

    26. Go down Moses

    29. Good news, the chariot's coming

    32. Gwine to ride up in the Chariot [if this is the same song as "Gonna To Ride The Chariot In The Mornin Lord"]

    36. He rose from the dead

    37. He's the Lily of the Valley

    42. I'm a rolling

    46. I'm so glad (no. 32) [I'm not sure which of the two songs with
    this title in that book is the song that I'm familiar with.]

    52. I want to be ready; or, walk in Jerusalem just like John

    56. In that great getting-up morning

    60. John Brown's Body

    70. Lord's Prayer

    [to be continued in the next comment]


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [continued] Fisk Jubilee Singers songs that I'm familiar with

      [To correct the statement that I made in my first comment, this list of Gospel songs that I'm familiar with not only includes songs that I remember from my Baptist church in New Jersey (from the 1950s to the 1960s), but also includes other African American Gospel songs that I've come across at other times in my life, including from hearing them online.]

      71. Many thousand gone

      76. My Lord, what a mourning [I always thought the title was "My Lord, what a morning".]

      79. My way's cloudy

      80. Nobody knows the trouble I see

      84. Oh, give me the wings

      88. Old ship of Zion

      90. O! Sinner Man

      95. Ride on, King Jesus

      96. Rise and Shine [If this is the same song as "Rise And Shine And Give God The Glory' that is part of the song "The Lord Said To Noah/There's Gonna Be A Floody" (I doubt that those are the same songs.]

      Delete
    2. [continued, comment #3]
      99. Roll, Jordan, roll

      101. Run to Jesus

      106. Show me the way
      [But-on second thought- this is probably not the Gospel song that I know from the 1970s or 1980s that begins with the words "If you think that I am going astray/Show me the way Lord". ]

      108. Steal away

      109. Swing low, sweet Chariot

      112. The Gospel train
      [I'm most familiar with the song "Get On Board, Little Children." I don't know if that is the same song as this song with the title "The Gospel Train".]

      114. The Angels changed my Name

      115. There's a meeting here tonight

      119. This Old Time religion



      Delete
    3. Here's another song that I know that was included in that book about Gospel songs that were sung by the Fisk Jubilee Singers:

      Subject: Benediction
      From: Q (Frank Staplin)
      Date: 27 Apr 10 - 08:18 PM

      No. 128. Benediction
      As sung by the Jubilee Singers.
      T. F. Seward

      The Lord bless thee, and keep thee,
      The Lord make his face shine upon thee,
      and be gracious unto thee;
      The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, ....
      and give thee peace.

      Amen"
      -snip-
      The words for this song is from Numbers 6:24-26 King James Version.
      I learned this song in junior high school music class. This was the first integrated school that I attended. .
      .
      Not counting that "Benediction" song, I know 33 songs out of 133 songs in the book that was published in 1880s about Fisk Jubilee Singers' Gospel songs .

      That's not a great score (pardon the pun) for someone like me who thought I knew a lot of old time African American Gospel songs.

      That shows me that I don't really know a lot of those types of Gospel songs.

      However, maybe this also serves as an example of how most songs (and rhymes, singing games, chants, and sayings) that were commonly known at one point in time can sometimes be quickly forgotten or completely forgotten by a lot of people after a period of time.

      I'm curious about how many of the songs in this Fisk Jubilee list of songs from the 1880s that you know. (Please add your general demographic information).

      Delete