Translate

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Where In The United States Does The Custom Of Pinning Birthday Dollars Occur And Who Does It?



Nola.com, Oct 15, 2018

**
18. Bloomers, Apr 19, 2022
"I haven't seen this done since my middle/high school days. Don't really see adults doing it. I'm in GA."
-snip-
"GA" = Georgia

**
19. xxxBDSMxxx, Apr 19, 2022
"i doubt this started in africa since africa used shells, cattle, goats, iron, gold, fabric, etc.. but they did not used banknotes or parchments as currency that came with the europeans.

here in the Bama primarily the black belt it has a real defined meaning it's called "Pin da Chile" and only children can be pinned boys stop being pinned at 12 and girls when they start their period. You supposed to pin the child only for 24 hours starting when the child was born and the money collected is to be "blessed" and "banked" the child can't spend the money or the parents the money is given when the child is up of aged, when the boy is 13 and girl when she starts her period. All the money collected before and after is the 24 hrs is not considered the "blessing" also any money the child found that year and all their years as a child is not to be spent as well but "banked".
-snip-
"the Bama" = Alabama

**
20. 
DZA, Apr 19, 2022
"I don't know why - if I had to guess, it's because it's like a symbol of blessings? I've mostly seen it being done for kids.

For adults, I've seen it done for bride-to-be's during their bachelorette celebrations and even on their wedding days."

**
30. Nap Nap, Apr 19, 2022
"It's done here in Mississippi, too. I always wondered where it started from."

**
31. 
Gavin Malachi, Apr 19, 2022
"My maternal family has roots in South Carolina and we do this"

**
32. GiaStacks, Apr 19, 2022
"We do it here in Detroit! Kids, Teenagers, Adults! If it’s your bday, pin some money on you you’ll have random people giving you money all day! We do the necklace too!

It’s my birthday, gimme some money!"

**
33. :Axel:, Apr 19, 2022
"Florida checking in and this is really common. I just assumed it was black tradition. Not everyone did but a large percentage"

**
34. BellaLyfe, Apr 19, 2022
"Im from texas and this is a common thing among blk folks. Im not sure why."

**
35. MelodyHolt, Apr 19, 2022
"I’m from Indy. We did this. I haven’t seen anyone do this in the last 10 years tho."...
-snip-
"Indy" = Indiana

**
36. Hi5Perry, Apr 19, 2022
..." This money thing seems like a tradition among Black & white people from Louisiana. People migrate & bring their traditions with them so that's probably why some non-LA people do it or have seen it"

**
37. 
Beeza, Apr 20, 2022
"It originated in southern Louisiana"

**
38. dreamy fairy, Apr 20, 2022
"never seen this in caribbean background. i never rlly got presents wrapped etc, mostly money just not pinned on clothes."

**
39. 
MysteriousMW, Apr 20, 2022
"I’m from Ohio and we do it, my folks (great grandparents) from Kentucky, Georgia and South Carolin"

**

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/why-we-get-a-bunch-of-money-pinned-on-our-shirts-when-its-our-birthday.4875289/page-3

40.  90s fine, April 20, 2022
"I’m from TN, we do it in my end ( East).

One of my coworkers received a total of $100.00 pinned to her shirt.

My other coworker was even getting money pinned by guests, not just those of us at work.

The older people in my family get money pins.

I’ve seen some kids get money pins at their birthday party.

Since west TN is closer to LA and TX I’d be shocked if they don’t do it, when we do it on our end."

**
41. jaipea, Apr 20, 2022
"This is an old tradition from somewhere. I'm from Kansas and I've seen it done here for milestone birthdays, graduations and weddings."

**
43. foreverflop, Apr 20, 2022
"I’ve lived on the East and West coasts, in the Midwest and in the South. I’ve never seen or heard of this before.

I’m letting everyone know they owe me retro pay!"

**
44.  Romedy2000, April 20, 2022
"Midwest does it too"

**
45. koop, Apr 20, 2022
"WE DO it HERE IN GA... but I dont I just always thought it looked crazy especially on these big 40 year old plus people"

**
46. Ntsap, April 20, 2022
"Granny Gray said:

Never heard of it. I grew up in NC. Never saw it in VA, TN, SC, or GA. It sounds like an African tradition.

I live and go to school in two of these states and have been seeing it since I was a little kid. Seems to be a southern thing."

**
46. Iron_Dolly, Apr 20, 2022
"I'm from Louisiana and never really thought about the origin. One thing is for certain. It's a Black thing whether regional or not even if you haven't seen it. Only white people doing this are copying off us."

**
47. elanoire, Apr 21, 2022
"I’ve lived a few states down south-Only ever saw it on a child in atlanta."

****

ONLINE SOURCE #2
From https://www.facebook.com/OonkasBoonkas/posts/10152321751568172 Oonkas Boonkas, June 26, 2014  
"The Cajun Tradition of pinning money onto the birthday boy or girl is the most prevalent among African Americans with it being at it's highest concentration in New Orleans.

This is an old New Orleans tradition. This is not a “new” ritual at least not to those of us from New Orleans. The first time it happened to me a French Quarter chef pinned a $20 note on me said happy Birthday and gave me a kiss I didn't know what to do.

And, although it’s roots are in the black community, everyone in NOLA celebrates with this tradition if they are so inclined. It doesn’t matter what color you are! We are a gumbo of people in NOLA who truly assimilate and appreciate each others culture, i.e. jazz, creole cooking, etc...."

Comments:
1. Tony Stanton, 2015
"I have that photo of the gentleman with the money..I bought it on Frenchman street Tawan Stanton"
-snip-
This comment and the replies refer to a now iconic photograph of an elderly Black man with lots of birthday dollars pinned to his suit jacket. This photograph is also a part of the comment given as #3 in Online Source #1.

**
Reply
2. Oonkas Boonkas, 2018
"You are so lucky to have this photo. Uncle Lionel was a true gentleman, dressing to the nines as he used to sasha down Royal Street but most importantly he was a talented musical legend."

**
Reply
3. Sarah Spangler,2022
"Yes, your picture is of Lionel Batiste (late), uncle of Grammy winner John. That family is highly respected and has deep roots in New Orleans music scene."

**
4. Johnny Silva, 2019
"Latinos have been doing this in San Antonio, Texas and South texas for decades. Wasn't sure where it originated from."

**
Reply
5. Johnny Silva, 2019
"My girlfriend, who moved to Texas from Pittsburgh, had never heard about this tradition. She finally experienced it on her bday weekend at our hangout. 🙂"

**
Reply
6. Lis Perez, 2019
"Johnny Silva Michigan....some of us here participated in this"

**
Reply
7. Jennifer Bussiere, 2019
"I grew up mostly in Erie PA..( I wonder how the tradition has migrated to here to both non African American and African American but non creole roots ??)in grade school ( small private Catholic )I saw this and then more recently I've seen this sporadically when I've gone out to neighborhood bars..I alwsys wondered and find history of social customs very interesting..thanks for your post"

**
Reply
8. Nandi A. Crawford, 2019
"We do this in Mobile, Alabama as well. I remember when my father died in May, 2007, and at the funeral, one of the young members had a birthday pin, and since I had money they gave me, I took out some $$ for him. If I have it, I'll give it to pin on you. Now I moved to Mobile as a teen, but it's a great gesture. Remind me a bit of partner."

**
9. Travis Cochran,2022
"Folks do this in north east texas( on or near the LA. Line). Thanks for the history leson. It was a very interesting read.."

****
ONLINE SOURCE #3
From https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k6516709-o10-Has_anyone_ever_done_the_pin_a_dollar_to_your_shirt_thing-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html Has anyone ever done the "pin a dollar to your shirt" thing? [in the “New Orleans topic” section]

5 comments:

  1. I happened upon the first video when it appeared in my recommended YouTube feed. (I think this video was recommended to me because I have watched a lot of other videos of line dancing with fans. Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/06/african-american-soul-line-dancing-with.html for a pancocojams posts that I've published on that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a comment in the discussion thread for the video that Rashid Ali published about Hosea McCain's birthday asking him about the custom of pinning birthday dollars. Here are his replies:

    August 2, 2023
    ..."I only know of the Hand Dance Community doing this in celebration of birthdays and I can only go back around 10 years"
    **
    August 2, 2023
    "I started Hand Dancing 12 years ago. I didn’t notice it then."
    -snip-
    Based on watching those videos, that group's celebration birthday dance consists of members of the group taking turns dancing for a brief time with the birthday celebrant,

    In one video the birthday celebrant was in the middle of a circle and the members took their brief turns dancing with her there.

    In another video the members of the group lined up to cut into the dance when the birthday celebrant was dancing with someone else. In another video the members stood in a vertical line in front of that celebrant to dance a few steps with him.

    (That group's line dance video isn't an example of their birthday celebration dance.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video that is embedded in this pancocojams post provides some theories about the origin of the United States custom of pinning birthday dollars. The narrator quotes an African American scholar from New Orleans' Dillard University as saying that "it's safe to start with the West African custom of throwing money at a bride or groom as a symbol of good fortune and prosperity. The narrator then quotes a scholar at the University of New Orleans who indicates that a similar tradition where brides are showered with money comes from Sicily and that custom came from Scandinavia.

    It's interesting that that video doesn't cite another theory that I've come across online that the custom of pinning birthday dollars comes from Louisiana's Cajun people.
    -snip-
    I should note that this is the only YouTube video on this subject that I've come across. Furthermore, there is very little online about the subject of pinning birthday dollars (apart from the pancocojams posts and the links that I've presented in those posts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should mention that the narrator begins her discussion of this subject with the statement that the birthday celebrant himself or herself pins a dollar on his or her shirt to start this custom. That is in contrast to the idea that someone else gives the birthday celebrant cash money, the celebrant begins that tradition by pinning that money and subsequent gifts of money on his or her outfit.

      Delete
    2. Here's a comment from lipstickalley.com that address the misconception that every Black person in the United States has the exact same culture (as indicated in the "all blacks in the U.S. do this" comment given above.)
      https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/why-we-get-a-bunch-of-money-pinned-on-our-shirts-when-its-our-birthday.4875289/page-2

      LittleMissCupcake, April 19, 2022
      "I've seen this, just never done this as a birthday tradition though. I don't know why people on the internet act just because you're Black we experience every single thing. We have similarities but, it's ok if our lives don't mirror each other."

      Delete