Translate

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Comments About Africans Loving A Gospel Song Although They Don't Understand The Language It Is Sung In: South African Singer Ayanda Ntanzi Performing "Ngena"


Koko Records, Mar 28, 2019 

Ayanda Ntanzi performing Ngena from the Priestly Worship album recorded live in Durban.
-snip-
Statistics for this YouTube video as of August 1, 2023 at 7:15 PM EDT
total # of views -7,915,817 total # of comments -1,818

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams post series about South African singer Ayanda Ntanzi's performance of the South African Gospel song "Ngena".

This post presents some comments from that embedded video's discussion thread about Africans worshipping God with Gospel music even though you don't understand the language being sung.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/08/south-african-gospel-music-ayanda.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. That post showcases a YouTube video of Ayanda Ntanzi and back up singers and musicians performing "Ngena" in Durban, South Africa.

The Zulu lyrics with an English translation of that song are included in that post along with some comments from that video's discussion thread. The comments that are selected for that compilation are about the song "Ngena" and/or are about that particular performance.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composer/s of the South African Gospel song "Ngena". Thanks also to Ayanda Ntanzi and his backup singers and musicians for their musical legacy. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS POST'S DISCUSSION THREAD

This compilation presents a sample of the comments in that video's discussion thread that refer to people from mostly African nations who wrote that they love the South African religious song "Ngena" even though they don't understand the language used in this song.

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8HybmB1hY


2019

1. @joshualumbasi9264
"I don't understand the language but i must say i feel the power of God in this song....

wow wow wow good Job Ayanda Ntanzi... Band is on fire!!!! The BGVs your are absolutely amazing and so lit up.... you have blessed my Soul in Nairobi Kenya!!!!!"

**
2. @fredrickfresters3610
"Wooooooow..... This is awesome..... Wow wow wow... I don't understand the language but i feel the anointing...."

**
Reply
3. @jonathantetteh936
"ME TOOO IM JUST MOVED BY THE SONG"

**
4. 
@mcdavisokang5788
"
i have been hearing this guy's song on radio in Ghana but we dont understand but he has a good voice and nice music but we want sub titles...lol"

**
5. 
@exploretheword
"
hallelujah i cannot understand but i can feel it hallelujah"

**
6. 
@matakamotanyane3257
"
wow, wow thats all i can say. can someone translate for me, i love this song so much. wow"

**
7. 
@princemill3313
"
am from Ghana , i dont understand a word but i can feel the power in the music and listening to this song give me a different feeling . God bless you . i havent seen any comment giving credit to the drummer . he is just amazing . go back and watch him"

**
8. 
@lydiamengo2767
"
Wonderful.. am from Kenya. I dont understand the language but just from listening and watching I can feel the power overflowing..

The energy displayed the beats talk of the voices. It's just amazing. Am blessed."

**
9. @godblessfam...7318
"Repeated ⁴ times Olord I don't know the lyrics but I can feel the anointing coming through HallelujahπŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡―πŸ‡²Jamaica is coming in the room I tried to sing with the interpretation but oh no I can't get it πŸ˜‚πŸ€—I just love God any tongue will do wowowoooπŸŒ‹πŸŒ‹"

**
10. 
@mpilofundi1602
"That "ngeeeeena" in the beginning of this song took me straight to God😒❤"

**
Reply
11. @amosnzuki5378,2021
"The music language is indeed universal. I understand not the words, but the atmosphere is electric. Any one who can translate this to English?"

****
2020

12. @aj.hats_white8879
"
Need this in English πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡―πŸ‡²"

**
13. @minstrelefuaboateng1900
"Truly I dont know a word of the language!

But I will kudos to my brother Ayanda

May heavenly grace locate u and fill you up as u win souls through ur ministry

I'm full of goosebumps here

How touching is the strength of ur voice

God bless u AlllπŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ€—"

**
14. @zenithline4153
"Whenever I post SA songs on my status, my friends go like "bro, do you understand what they're saying" and I go like, do I need to understand?.... The Spirit has no language barriers.."

**
Reply
15. @rispathequeen
"I don't understand too but love ther music"

**
Reply
16. @busimasara2680
"The song is basically saying,, we are all invited to the kingdom of God

There is still room for you to come into the kingdom.

Bless you my brothers and sisters who enjoy the song and yet don't understand the lyrics. Surely The Spirit says Come."

**
Reply
17. 
@stephanielewis1828
"They tell me the same thing but  πŸ™ŒπŸΏπŸ™ŒπŸΏπŸ™ŒπŸΏπŸ™ŒπŸΏπŸ™ŒπŸΏ"

**
Reply
18. @softouchstudios9821
"Spirits truly do not have language barriers just let it flow...."

**
Reply
19. @Mbali_O, 2021
"Some of these songs lyrics and translation are on google and plus always check the youtube comments someone is always ready to translate..much loveπŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦❤"

**
Reply
20. 
@ethelmanyaka9623, 2021
"@Mbali_O  True"

**
Reply
21. @illano_g , 2021
"Amen πŸ™πŸΎ"

**
Reply
22. @thandekachrist9222, 2021
"I  also listen to Nigerian gospel songs and I don't really understand the lyrics but I get blessed anyways"

**
Reply
23. @veethompson4685, 2021
"Yessss.....The Spirit of YAHWEH has NO Barriers πŸ™ŒπŸΎ... I do not understand what they are saying also BUT I Recognize and UNDERSTAND The Presence of The HOLY SPIRIT πŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎ"

**
Reply
24. @sebentilezanini1085, 2021 
"So true...I listen to Twi and Igbo worship yet I'm a Swazi❤❤❤❤"

**
Reply
25. @angelakamoga6965, 2021
"I may not understand it but i feel it."

**
Reply
26. @africa6919, 2021
"Amen"

**
Reply
27. @Sav.Age, 2021
"Exactly!!!"

**
Reply
28. @tevercaretv2479, 2021
"Organize for Subtitles please......"

**
Reply
29. @shamoyepowell4282, 2021
"I get asked the same question. But I feel the spirit regardless"

**
Reply
30. @bachidzishagwa9611, 2021
"Amen and Amen"

**
Reply
31. 
@fortunatemsibi7128, 2021
"True ..the spirit doesn't have language barriers πŸ™"

**
Reply
32. @kezien1, 2021
"That is very true. I do not need to understand but the spirit tells me that its Jehova time."

**
Reply
33. @boniswalekale242, 2021
"Amen to that! πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
Reply
34. @jabulilephungwayo890, 2022
"@kezien1  yes it true let's prays the Lord same God but different cultures a Amen πŸ™πŸ’–"

****

2021

35. @jackvanmoo3946
"This country and this continent we are very blessed I don't understand but I can't get enough

"Mungu Ni mkuu" Swahili"

**
36. @brendahchepkemoi3267
"So today is when I got to understand the meaning of this song am in tears 😭there is joy in the lord .listening from Kenya"

**
Reply
37. @darionjohnson1981, 2022
"Hi Brendah, I hope you are doing well? Can you help me with the English interpretation please -I listen to this everyday and all I know is it is true praise but would like to really join in with understanding..."

**
Reply
38. 
@luyandangubane3192,  2022
"@darionjohnson1981  Ngena (Come in)

                                   Indawo isekhona (The space is still there)

                                   Amazulu alinde wena (The heavens are waiting for you). I don't know how to put it in proper English but  I hope this will be helpful.πŸ™‚πŸ™‚"

**
Reply
39. 
@darionjohnson1981,2022
"@luyandangubane3192  Thank you so much, it was.  I am watching again with tears in my eyes. To God be the glory...thank you for responding..stay connected!"

**
40. @albertomakoba2113
"I love South African Gospel so much. I initially faced challenges related to employed language and its meaning. Over time, with ever growing interest on searching the general and specific meaning of words and expressions, my desire to hear more of the inspiring songs has never plummeted. I truly appreciate their work. Keep it up!"

**
41. @graceadesina3107
"Ayanda, your name in Yoruba (a language spoken in Nigeria in the West) means someone that God created specially.I do not understand this song but I listen to this as I drive to work every morning and it does make my day.God bless you.The Holy Spirit surely does not have any language barrier."

**

42. @kwamitsetony2350
"
These South African gospel musicians are too wonderful. Though, I don't understand the Zulu and other languages spoken of by South Africans, I weep anytime I listen to their gospel music. God bless you all.

**
43. 
@roderickfearon1464
"I don't understand the language but OMG, I feel the holy spirit...south african gospel is the best!"

**
Reply
44. @lungisawilliams3388, 2022
"
Ngena - means "get in" indawo isekhona - means " there is still space" than paraphrased "get in there is room for you ", "get in there is still time to change your life to the Lord", "come in you are welcome in the presence of God Almighty" so - "ngena indawo isekhona" "

**
2022
45. @shenacherry346
"I only speak English 😭😭😭 but I felt this"

****
This concludes this post in this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.



3 comments:

  1. Here's information about the South African name "Ayanda" from https://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/southern-african
    "Ayanda: m & f Southern African, Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele
    Means "they are increasing" in Zulu, Xhosa and Ndebele."
    -snip-
    Some other name pages about the name South African name "Ayanda" indicate that this name is usually given to the first born child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment given as #41 in this pancocojams compilation notes that the South African name "Ayanda" is similar to a Yoruba (Nigerian) name.

      My guess is that this commenter refers to the Yoruba name "Ayinde".

      My husband and I gave the name Ayinde to our adopted son. We got this name from an African name book in 1979. The author of that book indicated that "Ayinde" was a Yoruba name that means "We prayed for him and he came".

      Delete
    2. The Yoruba language is an example of a Niger Congo language and Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele are examples of Bantu languages. Swahili is another Bantu language.

      As such, I believe it is a coincidence that the names "Ayanda" and "Ayinde" are spelled similarly and have similar meanings.

      Delete