Translate

Monday, August 21, 2023

Examples of "Whipper Whopper" Versions Of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" ("Roaches & Bedbugs") Songs/Rhymes"



Troop 64262, Sept. 14, 2019
-snip-
The lyrics for this version of that song is presented as Source #3 below.


****
Edited by Azizi Powell This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on the "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe" sub-set of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" ("Roaches & Bedbugs") songs. That sub-set includes the words "Eenie meenie miney moe/catch a whipper whopper by his toes" etc. (or similarly spelled words). This post presents examples of the "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe" sub-set of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" ("Roaches * Bedbugs") songs.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/08/what-whipper-whopper-means-in-i-woke-up.html for Part I of a pancocojams series on the "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe" sub-set of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" ("Roaches & Bedbugs") songs. That sub-set consist of examples of those song/rhymes that include the words "Eenie Meenie miney moe/catch a whipper whopper by his toes" (or similarly spelled words).
That post presents the results of my online research about that sub-set of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning"(Roaches & Bedbugs") songs/rhymes. The content of this post is presented for folkloric, socio-cultural, and recreational purposes. All copyrights belongs with their owners. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the two Girl Scouts who are featured in this video and thanks to the publisher of that video on YouTube. -snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/05/versions-of-eenie-meenie-miney-mo.html for the 2021 pancocojams post entitled "
Examples Of "Eenie Meenie Miney Mo" Counting Out Rhymes In The United States".
Also, click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/08/i-woke-up-sunday-morning-roaches-and.html for the 2023 pancocojams post entitled "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" ("Roaches and Bedbugs") Rhymes With Demographic Information".

****
A FEW EXAMPLES OF THESE SONGS/RHYMES
These examples are given in no particular order and are numbered for references purposes only.

The "eenie meenie miney moe/whipper whopper" etc. words (or similar forms of those words) are given in italics for highlighting purposes only.

Source #1
From
 http://rolandanderson.se/bedbugs.php *
"
CATCH A WIFFER WOFFER

Oh, I'm walkin' round the corner
Doing little harm
Along comes a policeman
And grabs me by the arm

Oh, he walks me round the corner
Rings a little bell
Along comes a wagon
And knocks me in a cell

I'm singin' eenie meenie and a miney moh
Catch a wiffer woffer by the toe
And if it hollers, hollers, hollers,
Let it go, I'm singin' Eenie meenie and a miney moh
 

Oh, five o'clock in the morning
I looked up on the wall --
The roaches and the bedbugs
Were having a game of ball

Oh, the score was six to nothing
The roaches were ahead --
The bedbugs hit a home run
And knocked me out of bed

I'm singin' eenie meenie and a miney moh,
Catch a wiffer woffer by the toe
And if it hollers, hollers, hollers,
Let it go, I'm singin' Eenie meenie and a miney moh

Oh, six o'clock in the morning
The jailer comes around
A piece of bread and coffee
That weighs a half a pound

Oh, the coffee tastes like tobacco juice
The bread is hard and stale
But that's the way they treat the bums
In New York County Jail

I'm singin' eenie meenie and a miney moh,
Catch a wiffer woffer by the toe
And if it hollers, hollers, hollers,
Let it go, I'm singin' Eenie meenie and a miney moh

I went downtown for breakfast
I ordered ham and eggs
I ate so many pickles
The juice ran down my legs

I fell into a sewer
And that is where I died
They did not call it murder --
They called it sewer-cide

I'm singin' eenie meenie and a miney moh,
Catch a wiffer woffer by the toe
And if it hollers, hollers, hollers,
Let it go, I'm singin' Eenie meenie and a miney moh
-snip-
This is one of several examples of "IWoke Up Sunday Morning" that are found in the online book Bald Mountain Childhood. That book was written by Roland Anderson (no publishing date given) and is "Centered around Mary Pawlak, this is an autobiographic, biographic and historical description of growing up in a Carpatho-Rusyn family on Bald Mountain near Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania during the 1920's and 30's"...
http://rolandanderson.se/marymenu.php

Roland Anderson, Mary Pawlak's son, writes that the examples of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" that are included in that book are similar to the rhymes that Mary chanted. As I interpret that statement, the term "whipper whopper" or similarly spelled words weren't necessarily included in the versions of "I Woke Up Sunday Morning" that Mary Pawlak chanted in the 1920s -1930s. My guess is that the "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe"/"whipper whopper" sub-set of those rhymes weren't composed until the 1950s (Read Part ! of this pancocojams series whose link is given above.).

**
Source #2
From http://www.geocities.ws/chadsmascout/THEWHIPPERWHOPPERSONG1.htm
"THE WHIPPER WHOPPER SONG:

1: I woke up Sunday morning and looked upon a wall,
The Skeeters and the Bedbugs were playing a game of ball,

CHORUS
Singing eener, meener, and a minor moe,  
Catch a Whipper Whopper by the toe, 
And if it hollers, hollers, 
Don’t ever let it go, 
Singing eener, meener, and a minor moe: 

2: I went downstairs to breakfast and ordered ham and egg.
I ate so many pickles; the juice ran down my leg,

CHORUS:

3: I went into the bathroom, and I sat on the pot,
I didn’t think I had to go but I had to go a lot’

CHORUS:

4: I went back to my bedroom, to see what was the score
The Skeeters made a home run, and won it 6 to 4.

CHORUS

5: My father was a Martian; my mother is a spy,
And I am such a loud mouth, I joined the FBI.

CHORUS:"

****
Source #3
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBuO7AVvAF8 [This is the YouTube video that is embedded in this pancocojams post.]

Whipper Whopper

I woke up sunday morning
I looked up on the wall
The beatles [beetles] and the bed bugs were having a game of ball

The score was six to nothing the beatles were ahead
The bed bugs scored a home run
And knocked me out of bed

(chorus)

I’m singing Enemy [Eenie] and a miney mo mo mo mo
Catch a whipper whopper by the toe
And if he hollers hollers hollers let him go
I’m singing enemy and a miny mo

I went downstairs to breakfast
I ordered ham and eggs
I ate so many eggs they all ran down my leg

(chorus)

I went outside to play
I looked up in the sky
I saw a little blue bird
Who poo-pooed in my eye

(chorus)

My mother is a banker
My father is a spy
And I’m the little big mouth who told the FBI

(chorus)

I made myself a snowball
as perfect as can be
I thought I’d keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me

I made him some pajamas
A pillow for his head
But then last night it ran away
But first it wet the bed

(chorus)

I have myself a turtle
His name is Tiny Tim
I  put him in the bathtub
To see if he could swim

He drank up all water
He ate up all the soap
He tried to eat the bathtub
So I showed it down his throat

(chorus)" 

****
Source #4
From https://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/childrens_songs/eenie_meenie-lyrics-1138582.html Children's Songs/Eenie Meenie Lyrics

"On a personal note, I remember singing this song on the way to camp many summers as a camper. I don’t remember all of the words to the other verses, but this song will always remind me of the anticipation in the last moments before a week at camp. -Larken

I woke up Sunday morning
And looked up on the wall
The cooties and the bedbugs
Were having a game of ball.

The score was six-to-nothing,
The cooties were ahead.
The cooties hit a home run
And knocked me out of bed!

[Chorus]

I'm singin
Eenie meenie and a-miny-mo
Boom boom boom
Catch a whifferwhaffer by the toe
Boom boom boom
And if he holler hollers let him go
Boom boom boom
Eenie-meenie and a-miny-mo

My father gave me a nickel
My mother gave me a dime
My sister has a boyfriend
Who looks like Frankenstein

[Chorus]

My father is a lawyer,
My mother is a spy
Me and my big mouth
I told thee FBI!

[Chorus]

I went downstairs for breakfast
I ordered ham and eggs
I ate so many eggs
That the yolk ran down my leg

[Chorus]

I went into the sewer
And that is how I died
They didn't call it murder
They called it "sewer-side!"

-Submitted by Guest"

****
Source #5
From 
https://kilowan.wordpress.com/2006/09/02/skeeters-and-the-bed-bugs/ September 2, 2006, Skeeters and the Bed Bugs

I woke up Sunday morning
And looked up on the wall
The skeeters and the bedbugs
Were playing a game of ball

The score was ten to nothing
The skeeters were a head
The bed bugs hit a home run
And knocked me out of bed

Singing eenie meenie and a miney moe
Catch a whipper whopper by his toe
And if he hollers, hollers, hollers
Don’t let him go
Singing eenie, meenie and a miney moe."

****
Source #6
From 
https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=312, "Roaches and Bedbugs?", GUEST,Just me, 04 Dec 19, 

"Learned this in California early 80's in kindergarten.

I woke up Sunday morning I looked up on the wall,
The beetles and the bedbugs were having a game of ball,
The score was 6 to nothing, the beetles were ahead
The bedbugs got a homerun, they knocked me outta bed,

I'm singin' eenie meenie and a miny moe, moe, moe, moe
Catch a wiffer waffer by the toe and if he hollers, hollers, hollers
Let him go I'm singing, eenie meenie and a miny moe."

****
Source #7
From http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songbook/songs5/S5_79.htm

The Whipper Whopper Song (Eener Meener)

Thanks to Sue Moore for posting this song to the WAGGGS-L Mailing List!

I woke up Sunday morning,
I looked up on the wall,
The beetles and the bedbugs
Were playing a game of ball.

The score was 6 to nothing,
The beetles were ahead,
The bedbugs hit a homerun
And knocked me out of bed.

Chorus:

I'm singing - Eeny meeny and a miney mo, mo, mo, mo
Catch a Whipper Whopper by his toe,
And if he HOLLERS, HOLLERS, HOLLERS, let him go.
I'm singing - Eeny meeny and a miney mo, mo, mo, mo

I went downstairs for breakfast,
I ordered ham and eggs,
I ate so many eggs
The ham ran down my legs.

I went outside to play,
I looked up in the sky,
I saw a little bluebird,
It poo-pooed in my eye.

My mother is a butcher,
My dad's a side of beef
And I'm the little hot dog
That runs around the street.

My father is a crook,
My mother is a spy,
And I'm the little big-mouth
That told the FBI.

I fell into the sewer,
And this is where I'll die,
Some people call it suicide,
I call it sewer-cide.

(Note: you should use discretion when singing the last verse as many people could consider it quite offensive.) "

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.
 

  

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment