Translate

Thursday, April 20, 2023

"Who Are We My Sisters And Me" (Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Song Videos & Lyrics)


Miss DiDi, Jan 16, 2017

Alpha Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated Presents the newest initiates of the chapter....Renascent 50, Fall 2016 - Howard University! [Howard University, Washington D.C.] 

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. song "Who Are We My Sisters And Me". 

Two YouTube videos of that song are included in this post along with the lyrics for that song.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, inspirational, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composer/s of this song and thanks to all those who are featured in this post. Thanks to all past and present members of the historically Black Greek letter sorority Delta Sigma Theta Inc.. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.
-snip-
For the historical record, I'm interested in documenting (or linking to that documentation) of who composed the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. song "Who Are We My Sisters And Me" and when was this song first composed.

If you know this information, please share it in the comment section below. Thanks!

**
This is part of an ongoing pancocojams series on historically Black Greek letter fraternities and sororities. Click the tags below or google [the name of the fraternity or sorority] pancocojams to find other posts in this series,for instance: Delta Sigma Theta pancocojams.

**
Historically Black Greek letter fraternity & sorority chants and songs are part of African American culture that can be appreciated by people inside and outside of those organizations. Examples of these performances and compositions are cultural artifacts that should be collected, preserved, and studied along with information and comments about those performances/compositions.

However, in accordance with the cultural traditions, historically Black Greek letter fraternity & sorority chants and songs should only be recited and/or performed by those who are members or pledges of the specific organization that is affiliated with that particular chant.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2 -50 Forces of Fortitude Spring 2018 (ASAC/ NIP)- Delta Sigma Theta, Incorporated



Klarque Garrison, Apr 8, 2018

50 Forces of Fortitude Spring 2018 (ASAC) [Atlanta Suburban Alumni Chapter , Georgia]
-snip-
The "Who Are We My Sisters And Me" song and procession is shown from around .58 to  5:52 in this video.

****

LYRICS FOR THE DELTA SIGMA THETA (DST) SONG "WHO ARE WE MY SISTERS AND ME"

From http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=10669

#1 

Old 10-07-2001,

luxious99 

[...]

Location: Emporia, Va, United States

"Need Help Sorors

OOOOO-OOOOP Sorors,

First off I would like to say that I hope everyone is doing well. I wish you much luck and hope that all your activities and community service is going well.

I have one question. The song that starts off "Who are we....my sisters and me, we are the soul stepping sorors of DST." Does anyone know the rest of the song? We have been trying to find the rest of the words but just can't get our hands on them. I you know the rest or at least a part of it, could you please e-mail it to me at [address deleted] Your help is greatly appreciated.

Much love"

**
#2

Old 10-07-2001, 
RowdyRed 

[...]

"That phrase is probably in more than one chant/song, but I learned this version:

Step, step for the D
Step, step for the S
Step, step for the T
Step, Step for DST

Step, Step, step for Delta Sisters
Step, Step, Step for DST
Who are we, my sisters and me
We are the soul steppin' sisters of DST"

**
#3

10-07-2001

Beauty1913

[...]

Location: Chicago, Il USA

"The song we sing goes like this:

Who are we?
My Sisters and me
we are the Soul Stepping Sorors
of DST!

We have strived
and crossed the sands
over into Delta Sigma
Theta Land

Step by step
my Delta Sorors
Step by step
for DST

Step by step
my Delta Sorors
step by step for DST

 

(The sopranos go

We are the SOul STepping Sorors o[f] DST

We are the SOUl STepping Sorors of DST...

(This continues while the remaining Sorors sing Who are we...and is repeated 4 times, then everyone joins back into W[h]o are we)"

**
#4

10-09-2001

sequel_1913

Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

[...]

"This is the way I learned it...

Who are we
My sisters and me
We are the soul steppin' Sorors of DST

We have strived to cross sands
Over into Delta Sigma
Theta land

Step on by step my Delta Sorors
Step on over to Delta Sigma
Theta land"

** 
#5

10-15-2001

luxious99

Location: Emporia, Va, United States

[...]

"I'm just writing back to say thanks for your help.

 Much Delta Love"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment