Translate

Thursday, April 6, 2023

African American Versions Of The Children's Camp Song "The Telephone Song" ("Someone's On The Telephone")

Various Artists-Topic, May 30, 2015

Provided to YouTube by Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

Dr. Knickerbocker / Tic-Tac (medley) · John's Island children

John's Island, South Carolina: Its People and Songs

℗ 2004 Smithsonian Folkways Recordings / 1973 Folkways Records

Released on: 1973-01-01

-snip-

The "Tic Tac" rhyme begins around 1:03 of this YouTube video.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest update- April 14, 2023

This pancocojams post showcases a YouTube sound file and several text (word only) examples of African American rhymes/cheers that are sources for the American children's camp singing game "The Telephone Song" (also known as "You're Wanted On The Telephone").

The Addendum to this post presents two examples of camp version of this African American rhyme/cheer. A YouTube video of an adaptation of that camp version is also included in that Addendum.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, cultural, and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composers of this rhyme/singing game. Thanks to all those who are featured in this YouTube example and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the publishers of that sound file and that video on YouTube.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/04/doctor-knickerbocker-number-9-rhymes.html for the pancocojams post that includes a transcription an example of "Dr. Knickerbocker", the first rhyme that is showcased in that YouTube sound file.

****
SIMILARITY OF SOME WORDS IN THE 1973 VERSION OF "TIC TAC" WITH LINES FROM SOME "MISS SUE FROM ALABAMA" RHYMES
The "Miss Sue From Alabama" family of children's rhymes include a large number of different (variant) examples. There's a number of pancocojams posts about "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes. 
Some examples of "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes include the lines "Waitin for the clock to go/boom tick tock/boom ticky wally wally/Boom tick tock/Boom ticky wally wally/Stop!" ( or similar lines".

I believe that those lines are connected to the 1973 rhyme "Tic Tac" which is perhaps more widely known now as "The Telephone Song" in American children's camps.  That song has the line (which I transcribed as "Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley/Tic Toc Tic Tac e waley waley".

I don't know whether those lines in "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes of those lines in that "Tic Tac" rhyme came first.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/04/examples-of-miss-sue-from-alabama-with.html for the pancocojams post entitled "
Examples Of "Miss Sue From Alabama" With Decades Remembered Or Date Collected".

****
EXAMPLES OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN RECREATIONAL RHYME/SINGING GAME  "TELEPHONE" (also known as "Tic-Tac", "Someone's On The Telephone", and other titles.  

These examples are given in relative chronological order with the oldest examples given first.

This date doesn't correspond to the date that these contributors first chanted or recalled hearing this rhyme/singing game.

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

I've chosen the title "Telephone" as the name for this group of African American recreational rhymes. These rhymes may have different titles or lines from these rhymes may be combined with verses from recreational rhymes with other titles (for example "Miss Sue From Alabama").

Notice that some examples of these rhymes have the "Someone's on the phone" lines combined another recreational rhyme or more than one other recreational rhymes.

WARNING:  Some contemporary examples of "The Telephone Song" include sexualized lyrics and/or profanity.

Example #1

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj0DjxXB1Cg  [This example is presented in this post as Showcase Video #1, beginning around 1:02 of that video.

 "TIC-TAC

Entire Group -Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley
Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley

Group with the named soloist -Oh, Miss Gloria
Someone's on the phone
Miss Gloria- If it ain't [decipherable male name]
Tell’ em I ain’t home

Entire Group -Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley
Tic Toc Tic Tac e waley waley

Group without the named soloist - Oh Miss Lucy
Someone’s on the phone
Miss Lucy - If it ain’t  [indecipherable male name]
Tell ‘em I’m ain’t home.

Entire Group- Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley
Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley

Group without the named soloist -Oh, Miss [indecipherable female name]
Someone’s on the phone
Miss [same female name]-If it ain't [indecipherable male name]
Tell ’em I ain’t home

Entire Group - Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley
Tic Tac Tic Tac e waley waley

Group without the named soloist -Oh Miss [indecipherable female name]
Someone’s on the phone
Miss [same female name] -If it ain’t James Brown
Tell ‘em I ain’t home

[Other verses with this pattern.]

Group without the named soloist -Oh, Miss Gloria someone on the phone
If it ain’t Jackie Wilson
Tell ‘em I aint home"

 -snip-

This 1973 sound file is the earliest example that I've come across of the rhymes/singing games that are now known as "The Telephone Song". This example is called "Tic Tac" after its rhythmic introduction "Tic Tac e waley waley" [or closely sounding words]. "Tic Tac" is  chanted with the sound of hand claps and foot stomps. 

I've categorize the example given above  as a "foot stomping cheers" because of its textual structure and hand clapping/foot stomping accompaniments. If this categorization is correct, it would make this "Tic Tac" one of the earliest examples of foot stomping cheers that I have come across. 

Like other foot stomping cheers, "Tic Tac" has a group/consecutive soloist format, meaning that the entire group voices speak first, followed by the group without a soloist, and then followed by a soloist's response. Except for the last two renditions of that rhyme (cheer), the ending words of the soloist's response portions of this rhyme are undecipherable to me. Based on those last two renditions, my guess is that each soloist gives the name of a famous R&B male singer (i.e. "If it ain’t James Brown tell ‘em I ain’t home). Alternatively, a soloist might give a boy's name.

I believe that the purposes of this "TicTac" rhyme/cheer are to provide an opportunity for rhythmic play in which the players have to stay on beat while they think quickly to come up with the name of a famous Black R&B singer (or a boy's name) that hasn't previously been given. Children's camp adapted "The Telephone Song" versions of Tic Tac have dropped those purposes.

Besides the recreational fun of chanting those rhyme, the purpose of "The Telephone Song" is to familiarize groups of children with each other's first names.ivebe quick witted

This "Tic Tac" rhyme is from the Gullah people of South Carolina. Because of its geographic isolation, a large number of African American folk songs (including children's recreational rhymes) come from the Gullah people.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/04/doctor-knickerbocker-number-9-rhymes.html for a pancocojams post that showcases "Dr. Knickerbocker",  the other rhyme in that St. John's Island medley.


Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list.html for Part I of a five part pancocojams series that features examples of foot stomping cheers. 

****
Example #2
From bitsy196; Greekchat date 6-25-2003
[Pancocojams Editor: I can no longer find the link to the Greekchat discussion thread that includes this example, however I remember that it was a discussion thread for remembrances of childhood games that were published by members of historically Black Greek letter sororities.]

"tele-phone, te-te-lephone

hey "bitsy"?

hey what?

your man is on the phone

girl, tell him i ain't home

he only want me for my hips, my lips, my booty and my this(and point to, well your "womanliness")

 

i know we were some fresh little girls"
-snip-
I believe that the purpose of this example and some other "foot stomping cheer" examples that are given in this post* is to provide opportunities for girls to show off their foot stomping/dancing skills while experimenting with risque chanting and other unapproved words and motions.

Unlike some other foot stomping cheers, in these "Telephone" cheers it appears that every soloist in each iterations of this cheer said the same thing.

*Foot stomping cheer examples of "Telephone"  in this post (besides Example #1) are Example #2, Example #4, and possibly Example #6.

****
Example #3
From getoffmyskittle;f="http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38901&page=4 

"Does anyone remember this?? (goofy kid-rhymes)" February 6th, 2006
"one goes back and forth between the people playing the game; I'll just use my name (Monica):

(both)Miss Sue, Miss Sue

Miss Sue from Alabama

Her real name is Susannah

(Boom chicka boom chicka boomboomboom

Mommy's got the measles, Daddy's got the flu

I ain't lyin', nor are you.

(other person) Hey Monica!

(me) Who's callin' my name?

(other person) Hey Monica!

(me) Stop playin' my game!

(other person) Someone's on the telephone!

(me) If it ain't my baby tell 'em I ain't home!

(both) Sittin' in her rocker, eatin' peanut butter

Watchin' the clock go

Boom ticky wah wah boom tick tock

Boom ticky wah wah clock says stop!"
-snip-
I added italics for "The Telephone" portion of this rhyme. Since at least the 1960s, "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes are usually performed as partner or group hand clap rhymes.

****
Example #4
From Recess Battles: Playing Fighting, and Storytelling by Anna R. Beresin (University Press of Mississippi, Jackson, 2010, pages 110, 111, in the section of that book whose sub-title is "Steps"), African American girls, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1992

 "TELEPHONE

 Words--------------------------------------------------------------Basic Motion

 Telephone tel telephone---------basic step: clap, step, clap as above, only slower

Telephone tel telephone---------repeat

 

Yo Tasha

Yo

You’re wanted on the telephone

Who is it?

A boy

I know what he wants

He wants my lips my tits -----------------pointing shyly

My grass and my ass

 

Telephone tel telephone---------basic step: clap, step, clap as above, only slower

Telephone tel telephone---------repeat

 

Yo Tasha

Yo

You’re wanted on the telephone

Who is it?

Your man

I know what he wants

He wants my lips my tits

My grass and my ass

 

Telephone tel telephone

Telephone tel telephone---------repeat


Yo Tasha

Yo

You’re wanted on the telephone

Who is it?

A girl

I know what she wants

She wants my man

Goddamn

She’s getting out of hand


Telephone tel telephone

Telephone tel telephone

Yo Tasha

Yo

You’re wanted on the telephone

Who is it?
Your ex

I know what he wants

He wants my lips my tits

My grass and my ass"
-snip-
This is how this example is given in that book. However, when this example was performed in real life, the girl's first name (or nickname) was almost certainly changed with each iteration of that rhyme/cheer.

****

Example #5
From Anonymous; January 12, 2020 at 1:28 AM; comment in the discussion thread for http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/11/folk-processing-childrens-rhyme-miss.html

"We sang a totally different version than anything I've seen online. This was around 05 in central GA.

"Miss Sue,
Miss Sue,
Miss Sue from Alabama,
Her real name's Suzianna.
Chicka-boom, chicka-boom,
Chicka boom-boom-boom.

Momma's got the measles,
Daddy's got the flu
I ain't lying, neither are you.

(You) 'Hey (friend's name)!'

(Friend) 'who's calling my name?'

(You) 'hey (friend)!'

(Friend) 'who's playing my game?'

(You) 'your boyfriend's on the telephone's

(Friend) 'if ain't my baby tell him I ain't home, if it is my baby tell him hooooold on'

(Both again)
Sittin in a rocker,
Eatin Betty crocker,
Watchin that clock goin
Boom chicka-wa wa,
Boom tick-tock.
Boom chicka-wa wa,
The clock says stop.

I like coffee,
I like tea,
I like the little boy who likes me

Tick tock!"

 

There were hand motions for each line, similar to the usual ones. At the last part (boom chicka wa wa) we crossed our hands on our laps and back over and over, when the song ended if they were parallel, you were the little boy, if they were crossed you were the girl. It was really weird now that I think about it but we never did it any of the ways I've seen on YouTube or here!"
-snip-
I added italics to highlight those lines.

****
Example #6
From Anonymous, February 28, 2021; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/11/folk-processing-childrens-rhyme-miss Miss Sue From Alabama" [comment]

"Miss Sue

Miss Sue

Miss Sue from Alabama

Chicka boom boom boom

Chicka boom boom boom

Mommy's got a fever, Daddy's got the flu

I ain't lyin' and neither are you!

Hey (name)

Who's calling my name?

Hey (name)

Who's playin' my game?

Your honey's on the phone.

If it's not my man, tell him I'm not home

Well it is your man

So get on the bus to the movies, the movies

I love to see the movies

Moonshine, moonshine freeze!

 

 - This is what happens when you lack a filter..

-snip-

This  example was written with this statement:  "In Howell Michigan in the late 70's early 80's we did."

I added italics for the "Telephone" portion of this rhyme.]

****
Example #7
From Colorfully, 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHL_1PdbY&ab_channel=EbonyJanicePeace , Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs, Ebony Janice Peace [comment]

"Ours were a little less fresh but we had some too..it was really less innocent with the tweens ex[example]

telephone ×4
who is it

 a boy ,

I know what he wants
he wants my lips
my  tits
 my booty
 and my hips


Telephone x4

who is it?

 a girl...

I know what she want...
she want my man
 Go* Dam*
 that B is outa hand.

 

I think some were changed to match the new places they traveled to as the 'urban' sociallandscape formed. Wow we never said part about the baby on call the doctor quick quick quick...but yes wow the true meaning is so clear now.  I know a lot were outdated even in 90s  bc words like Colored boy...but I think a lot if these got more risque over time, with other girls and with the great migration to cities."
-snip-
I reformatted the comment to increase its readability.

****
Example #8
"Watching the clock go

tick tock, tick tock

walawala

tick tock, tick tock

walawala

"My sister and her friends used to say:

Miss Sue

Miss Sue

Miss Sue from Alabama

Let's make a movie

You got the ABCDEFG

You got the HIJKLMNOP

You got the smooth legs

You got the smooth legs

You got the bald head

You got the bald head

Hey (friend's name), somebody called your name

Hey (another friend's name), somebody wants you on the telephone

It ain't my momma, sittin at the table

Peeling the potatoes

Tick tock boom boom

Tick tock boom boom

BOOM!"
-Andey McFarlin, 2018; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-svfUMX3BM
-snip-
I added italics to highlight the "telephone" lines in this example.

****
Example #9

Sitting at the table peeling my potato,

Waiting for the clock to say,

Boom Tic Tock

Boom Tick

Tiyati..Yati

Boom Tick Tock

Boom Tick

Tiyati..Yati

STOP

Hey!! (Your Name Here)

Somebody calling name!

Hey!! (Your Name Here)

Somebody’s playing your game!

Hey!! (Your Name Here)

Somebody’s on the phone!

Well if it ain’t my man

Tell him, I ain’t home

But if it is my man

Tell him “Bring it on”

Boom Tic Tock

Boom Tick

Tiyati..Yati

Boom Tick Tock

Boom Tick

Tiyati..Yati
-Beautiful, 2023; [comment] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zEcsIfe6lU "90’s hands games !!!!!", published by Geneas, Nov 4, 2018 
-snip-
I added italics to highlight the "telephone" lines in this example.

****
ADDENDUM - CHILDEN'S CAMP VERSIONS OF "THE TELEPHONE SONG" (also known as "Someone's On The Telephone".

These examples are given in no particular order.

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.
1.
From https://www.facebook.com/campoakspring/videos/telephone/2607755022583239/ Aqua Adventures - "You're wanted on the telephone!"

Camp Oak Spring, August 1, 2018  ·

[Pancocojams Editor - This is my transcript of this video.]

One person from the group begins this singing game by choosing the name of someone in the group [including the adult leaders] - Hey [person's first name or nickname] 

[The person named sings] - Someone's calling my name

Hey [group except for that person named] - Someone's calling your name

[Same person] - I think I hear it again.

Group exceptfor that person named- You're wanted on the telephone 

[Person named sings] - Well, if it isn't [randomly picks another person] I'm not home."
-snip-
This singing game is open ended (It can continue as long as the group wants it to (or the time restrictions allow it to.  A person should only have one turn as the one whose name is called.

The purpose of this singing game is to help familiarize participants with rhythmic play and help familiarize participants with the names of people in their group.

****

2.

From Re Allyssa, Mar 10, 2017, https://kintsugi.seebs.net/threads/childrens-rhymes.5542/page-2

."The one from camp was

All: A-ring a-ring a-ringa ring ring ring Hey [1]!

1: I think I heard my name!

All: Hey [1]!

1: I think I heard it again!

All: You're wanted on the telephone!

1: If it's not [2] then I'm not home!

All: A-ring a-ring a-ringa ring ring ring Hey [2]!

Etc."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Telephone Song



Pre-School One- Paige and Anna, Mar 20, 2020

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment