Translate

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Memories Of African American "Old School" Praying Deacons & Church Mothers


OfficialSmokieNorful, March 27, 2020
-snip-
total # of views as of July 30, 2022 at 7:45 PM ET = 
3,518,264

Pancocojams Editor's Note: In response to a comment about the lack of social distancing because of Covid-19 at the event that is shown in this video, Yolanya Howard,a commenter in 2020, wrote "This is from 6years ago!!!!". Therefore, that event occurred in 2014, prior to the Covid-19 pandemic.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post presents information about Reverend Smokie Norful and showcases his official YouTube video entitled "Old School Prayer & Praises" .

This post also presents some of the comments from that video's discussion thread about old school African American church devotional services and some critiques of contemporary 
 African American church praise and worship services. 

The content of this post is presented for historical, religious, and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Rev. Smokie Norful for his religious and cultural legacy. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/01/comments-about-old-school-african.html 
for a closely related 2021 pancocojams post entitled "Comments About Old School African American Gospel Singing (from the discussion thread of the YouTube Video Of Deacon Davis Singing "Stand By Me")". 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT SMOKIE NORFUL
Excerpt #1:
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokie_Norful
Rev. W.R. "Smokie" Norful, Jr. is an American gospel singer and pianist, best known for his 2002 album Without You, which won a Grammy at the 47th Annual Grammy Awards for Best Contemporary Soul Gospel Album in 2004.[1] Norful received his second Grammy in 2015 at the 57th Annual Grammy awards for his song "No Greater Love", ten years after winning his first.

[…]

Birth name: Willie Ray Norful, Jr.

Born: October 31, 1975 (age 46)

Origin: Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Muskogee, Oklahoma, Resides in Naperville, IL

Genres: Gospel, worship

Occupation(s): Singer, songwriter, pastor

Instrument(s): Vocals, piano

Years active: 2002–present"...

****
Excerpt #2
From http://www.gospelflava.com/articles/insider-smokienorful.html Insider with Smokie Norful [no writer or publishing date given]
..."Is there an explanation or story behind the name 'Smokie'?"

"My father gave me that name before I was ever born. He had a best friend in college and that was his name. Unfortunately he was killed and so in memory of him...here I am, Smokie."

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS EMBEDDED VIDEO

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

2020

1. Ronda S
"Praise & worship can't touch this old school prayer, those of you who grew up in the traditional black church, saw this every Sunday, it's missed & appreciated. The spirit just moved through before the choir & the preaching..yesss!!"

**
Reply
2. HOPE, LLC Helping Others Progress Economically
"
So glad I grew up in church was about salvation and not a fashion show."

**
Reply
3. Who's That Lady ?
"OMG, Sis.   you took the words right out of my mouth. Praise and worship is anemic and light weight, but old school Holy Ghost praise comes out of your belly.  There is nothing like it. Let's bring back the power! Glory to God!"

**
Reply
4. Linda Lyte
"@Ronda S/AmenπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎ This takes me back to the time... while growing up in church....Having "Devotion" and the Deacons praying🀦🏾‍♀️🀦🏾‍♀️Lord have Mercy.... I sure do  miss those days at St.Paul Missionary  Baptist Church .( And sadly it's  not the same anymore, when I last visited)πŸ˜₯πŸ˜ͺπŸ™πŸ˜”.People get too caught up in Denominations....God is in my heart, whatever  church I happen to attend/ visit... be it a Baptist, Methodist,or Penocostal....Church.

( I wouldn't  change my upbringing  in the Church)....for anything!!!! Praise and Worship  just doesn't  have the same impact!!( At least not for me!!) Just giving my humble opinion , in which we all are entitled  to.

Peace and an Abundance  of Blessings  to All.

**
Reply
5. CritTiqueDesigns
"We still do here in Louisiana.  Every Sunday morning."

**
Reply
6. Mikha'EL Hall
"This reminds me of the days growing up when the older Saints were not looking for a quick answer but they labored mmmmmm before the HOLY GHOST.

Saints would stay all night in the sanctuary even after YHWH answered"

**
Reply
7. Pamela White
"Amen...This is what welcomed the Holy Ghost in the house!!! This is what makes the Fire fall. Glory to God!!!"

**
Reply
8. 
Pamela White
"@Who's That Lady ?  this is exactly what's missing in the church nowadays.

The order of service is no longer controlled by the Holy Ghost. The pulpit is now called the "Stage"

The altar had better be in our homes and heart cause it's been removed from the church."

**
9. 
Deborah Jackson
"
Now that's Ole school, deep down Holy Ghost, Anointed, Sanctified, FIRE Baptized...PRAYER!"

**
10. 
 Ms.J’s Adventures
"
Sometime I just need those old sistas praying for me! Not the new grandmothers, but I need Big Momma, The real “Mudears” the ones that sat in the Conner, they had on those beige lofer lookin shoes, and the stockings with the knot rolled on the side! Sometimes they say on the front row in white, with big pieces of cloth over their dresses! And would give u took one too!  Sometimes I need that Big Momma, Big Daddy, Mudear, or Poppa praying for me! Thank you Jesus that they prayed for me!"

**
11. 
Zion Sky
"
Old school Decons got serious and deep down sometimes dropping on there knees pleeding the blood of JESUS with Authority and power. Oh GOD that was the days.and dont let the church mothers pray over us. Drunks would be sober going out clean. Peoples crying and repenting . GOD am sorry Save Me! And going out brand new!! No SHAME then? Just a serious NEED FOR GOD. LORD DO IT AGAIN IN JESUS NAME."

**
12. 
Mz Hollywood
"
Yes this is how I grew up hearing my Dad pray  & old Primitive Baptist preacher. Deep down in Georgia. They get down on their knees, put one hand up by their ear.  They could sang them songs. This was church!!!"
-snip-
In this comment, the word "sang" means to sing very well, especially to sing soulfully very well". 

**
Reply
13. 
Linda Lyte
"
@lisa S/Yes!!!! Talk about ...." Precious  Memories"πŸ˜₯πŸ˜ͺ

God Bless  youπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏ, thank you for taking me down  memory  laneπŸ˜”πŸ˜” I sure do remember  at least one Deacon in particular....if my memory serves me right.Deacon Chambers ( may he R.I.P. )would hold his ear with one hand, while on his knees....singing/ praying during  Devotion.My childhood  church, which I mentioned  in a comment earlier...St.Paul Missionary Baptist  Church."

**
14. 
365 Days of Prayer
"
Awesome!  I love the old time tarrying.  This is the type of prayer that renders results!  These days we pray for 5 minutes and expect great miracles.  You get out what you put in.πŸ€”πŸ˜Š"
-snip-
Here's a definition of the religious meaning of "tarry" from https://www.chipublib.org/glossary-of-terms-from-go-tell-it-on-the-mountain/
"Tarry service: to wait; religious service in which members of the congregation wait for God to speak, or to inspire them"

**
15. Giovanni Giakaze
"
Had church running thru every room in my house! I grew up on this! Hallelujah! Yes Ancestor power we're pulling on! That prayer closet praise & prayer! God is so good! Come get your breakthrough! πŸ’ In Jesus Name Amen!"

****
2021

16. Kent Brooks
"I grew up on this in small-town North Carolina. My late father was the chair of deacons, and he would start the devotional service praying that same way! Sometimes he would say, "Lord, we are your children standing before you as empty pitchers before a full fountain!" Those old saints were masters of imagery because their theological perspective was formed from their experience, and it came from their heart. They weren't highly educated, but they knew God! And they gave that gift to us! I'm so grateful for my upbringing!"

**
Reply
17. Ur Expressions Photography
"I grew up in a small church in southern Va.  Oh, how this prayer reminds  me of back home at church when we came to Praise His Holy Name!  This has become my testimony prayer.  See to many churches have forgotten how just praise his name in prayer and how grandparents did it coming to church straight from the field.

Let church say Amen and Amen!"

**
Reply
18. Lecia Gray
"Yesss Brother Brooks, I grew up in the city, but church was ran by older folk! They had the Mother's corner on one side and the deacons on the other side!!! Memories!!!"

**
Reply
19. Kent Brooks
"@Lecia Gray  You hit it right on the head! That was my family church, River Zion United Holy Church! Deacons on one side and church mothers on the other! Directly after Sunday School, they'd open with ACTUAL testimony services, also called devotional services, with two people sitting up front on either side of the communion table. One would read the scripture and the other would pray. My brother and I both had to play piano and organ, and the saints would go all the way IN!!!"

**
Reply
20. Lecia Gray
"
@Kent Brooks , yess that was the set up at St. John Missionary Baptist Church in West Palm Beach, Fl!!!"

**
21. 
King Nation12
"Yes I miss this too in the Churches!! I miss the, I miss the old School Mother’s that kelps in check, when we was little, I miss the love and kindness, compassion, the best advice’s, if you need help they was there, if someone pass in your family the Churches was there, I miss it all, if someone passes they don’t check and see if you haven’t been there in 3 months you can’t have your funeral, there. I miss so much about the Church’s!! Lord Jesus help us to get back to that."

**
22. mighty Strong
"They in such a hurry theses days to put on a show that we forget to TARRY with the HOLYSPIRIT πŸ™πŸΌ"

**
23. Carolyn Gettridge
"
You can't really have a worship service without going back πŸ”™ to Old School Churching!!! My brother Doug and I we're my Grandmother Ida Mae Shields youngest grand children. She was a toe tapping tambourine playing long dress wearing holiness woman of God♀️! She rock in her πŸ₯Œ chair chant songs in French played her tambourine and Doug and I would tear that wooden porch she sit in up. Keep in mind we were young didn't know we were dancing for Jesus!!! So we give this Glory to God.My Grandmother live with my mother Osceola Shields in New Orleans La. Here is why I know I got worship down pack. I love music 🎢 and.preching. At my church  St John MBC Oceanside CA . When I hit the door πŸšͺ I am already ready.  When our Pastor Rev Dr Kadri J  Webb come forth I am ready."... 

**
24. 
Marie Sterling
"This is the prayer that decons would definitely make you say THANK YOU LORD.THEY wasn't worried about the knee of their suits when they got down on their needs to tell GOD THANK YOU.We definitely NEEDS TO GO BACK TO THE OLD CHURCH with the wooden floors and you could hear the foot stomping on the floor from the women shoe hills and then one of those old time hyms and then the deacon is on his knees saying This morning God I come to you on bending knees to say MUCH ABLEDEG FOR MY LYING DOWN ON LAST NIGHT.I 'M GOING TO STOP HERE AND LET YOU CONTINUE TO THANK GOD FOR WHAT HE DONE FOR YOU."

**
25. Eddiemae Lee
"
Listening to this prayer bring back the mΓ©moires out there in cogdell Georgia you had to stay on your knees and tarry call on jesus"

**
26. Evangelist Betty Promise
"HALLELUJAH. To GodπŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ» This PRAYER took me back down in the dirt hills of TUSKEGEE, Alabama....

.PRAISE the LORD for that  MOURNING BENCH because I know I'm born again."
-snip-
This is the way this comment was written in that discussion thread.

**
27. 
Bonita Hobbs
"Kept us sane; united n with a desire to persevere!!!    "That ole time religion is good enough for me"!  THE POWER OF IT!!!"

**
28. Suchaclassywoman
"When you were brought up in church ….. praise hit different …. Like it don’t take much , just a little reminiscing on how he carried you through the years πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ"

**
29. 
Tee Tee Martrese
"Praise we surely need to go back to the old time ways and the days when we used to praise God to the highest"

**
Reply
30. Tee Tee Martrese
"He touched my soul I'm talking about God I was a girl about the age of 11 years old IWas on the alter I remember A Minister came to Progressive Baptist Church at 2840 Franklin Ave At that time Rev. J D. Linton was our residing Pastor I can't remember the Pastors name but he made an alter call He asked who want to be saved to night I raised my hand ,The preacher told me to come on up I went on up You see back in the days we sat on the mourning bench we tarried for the Holy Ghost .The Preacher ran the Revival for a week I tarried that Monday thru Thursday but oh on that Friday the Holy Ghost came unto my soul .It filled Me with his power Saints I tell you I had a brand new white sweater that night  when I came thru look I had mopped the floor tell you the power of God is real I thank God for coming into my life at a young age ,Now I am 71 years young still filled with Gods Holy Ghost Annoiting Power Speaking in Tongs as the Spirit Of God Give Utterance. I thank god for coming up in the old time way Praise Be To God"

**
31. David Kenney
"From the bottom of my heart I truly miss church services like this✋🏾"

**
32. 
VerTameka Wilson
"
This that old time tent REVIVAL on the corner that when the people pass through the Holy Ghost slides throughhhhhhh....heyyyyheyyyyy MY LORDDDDDDπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎ... this is on repeat today..Glory Glory Glorrray!!!! πŸ’ƒπŸ½",

**
33. Fryer Brown
"
I CAN HEAR THE OLD DEACON'S ON THEIR KNEES PRAYING THAT HOLY PRAYER. THAT'S HOW I MADE IT OVER. PRAISE THE LORD."

**
34. Mom On A Mission
"I grew up worshipping God like this and the church has turned away from it...this is how we get our break through"
-snip-
Here's a definition of the spiritual meaning of the word "breakthrough"
From https://www.gotquestions.org/spiritual-breakthrough.html
"
The idea of a “spiritual breakthrough” is subjective, and the term itself is not found in the Bible. Generally speaking, a spiritual breakthrough is an experience of having reached a new level of spirituality, whatever that means to the person who is “breaking through.” The experience will be different depending on the person (and the religion) in question.

In Christian circles, a spiritual breakthrough can be defined as a time when a person is saved, gains a deeper understanding of biblical truth, receives an answer to prayer, or wins the victory over a besetting sin."...

**
35. Proverbs 31
"
I haven’t heard a prayer this powerful since I was a child! Lord knows I miss the deacon board morning devotion. Hallelujah πŸ™πŸ½"

**
36. Perspective
"This is still happening in many places, find a book of Acts church, apostolic in doctrine.  If you haven't found it yet, let me know."

**
37. Betty Chatmon-Coleman
"Now that's praise and worship"

**
Reply
38. Yvette Floyd
"The worship is for real.  This reminds me of my home church on a old dusty country road in Arkansas.  We walked in the rain to get to the church at times. Just wanted to make it to God's house. Praise God."

**
Reply
39.  Audrey Jean Eason-Jones
"I grew up in Arkansas as well. I tell you, people don't pray like this any more. This is what's we need to get back to. Glory to God. Breakthrough comes when we get "ugly" for The LORD. Hallelujah. Let's Do ThisπŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’žπŸ’žπŸ’žπŸ’ž"

**
Reply
40. 
m thomas
"I’m still in Arkansas & we have the best praying deacons in the world here that know how to pray & get a word through!!"

**
Reply
41. Yvette Floyd
" @m thomas  yes suh,as those Deacons would say. I miss those days when we sang those hymns that came from deep within. You could feel the holy spirit."

**
42. Future Dr. Norris Brown
"These are the prayers that kept us, keeping us, and will push us forward THANK YOU, LORD!!!!"

**
43. LeStine Ford
"This is how our Deacons prayed  at Mt. Hermon MB Church on Sunday mornings! Dec. Johnny Middleton would end his praying happy! Singing “Won’t It Be Grand!!” He taught us to pray at Bible study in this manner! We need these kind of prayers today! Thank ya Lord!πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½"

**
44. 
Faith Thelwell
"Yes we need more of this"

**
Reply
45. Word of Faith Full Gospel Church Mamou, LA
"Come on by the Word of Faith Outreach Ministry in Lake Charles Louisiana we got you."

****
2022 

46. SC Hayes
"
I remember as a kid at First Baptist Church Piney Grove the Deacons would sing their Prayers and I miss this in Church...I'm Grateful Lord and I wanna tell you Thank YouπŸ₯°"

**
47. Cortney Siplin
"Mother of 3, I use to hear prayers like this in church as a little girl. I had know clue about what was going on!!! But now I do. Tears in my eyes I understand now God and I say Thank you!! πŸ€²πŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
48. Dorian W.
"When there use to be a time when the deacon would be on bended knee elbow in chair head in hand and then "WENT INNNNNNN!!"

#thosewerethedaysπŸ™Œ"

**
49. 
Troy MCCLOUD
"
This is how we have church every Sunday morning in Vicksburg Ms .Pastor James C Archer Trinty Temple M.B Chruch . You can't go anywhere else in the world and hear church like this. ONLY IN THE SOUTH DO WE HAVE CHRUCH LIKE THIS!"

**
50. iiimmm theshooter
"I had and have now a Bishop who can pray like this.  Its a blessing in this day to have someone that you know when they pray, GOD opens HIS doors"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment