Translate

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Comments About Old School African American Gospel Singing (from the discussion thread of the YouTube Video Of Deacon Davis Singing "Stand By Me")


Marktrailhornets, Oct. 16, 2011

Old school Gospel....you're never too old to praise God!
-snip-
Statistics as of Jan. 2, 2021 at 10:09 AM
Total # of views- 1,603,314
Total # of likes- 19k
Total # of dislikes-536
Total # of comments -892

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a YouTube video of an old school church rendition of the now classic African American Gospel song "Stand By Me".  

This post also includes information about the Gospel song "Stand By Me" as well as lyrics for that song.

Selected comments from the discussion thread for that embedded video. Most of these comments refer to the old school style of singing Gospel music that is documented in this video. Particular attention is given to comments that include forms of the African American word "sang", a present tense verb that means "
to sing very well, especially to sing soulfully very well". A very common form of this present tense verb is the exhortation "You betta sang!"  

The content of this post is presented for religious and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Albert A. Tindley for composing this song, or for adapting it from its Spiritual source. Thanks also to Deacon Shelly Davis, Jr. and other members of the congregation of that Elba, Alabama church for singing this song as documented in this post's embedded video. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-storm-is-passing-over-beams-of.html for the related 2020 pancocojams post entitled "The Storm Is Passing Over", "Beams Of Heaven" And Three Other YouTube Videos Of Gospel Songs Composed By Rev. Charles Albert Tindley

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SONG "STAND BY ME" 
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_by_Me_(Charles_Albert_Tindley_song) 
"Stand by Me" should not be confused with "Stand by Me Father", by Sam Cooke and James W. Alexander.[1]

Though sometimes known as "Stand by Me Father", "Stand by Me" is a 1905 gospel song by the Rev. Charles Albert Tindley.[2] Although often thought to be a "traditional spiritual", Tindley copyrighted the song in 1905.[3][4] The song of the same name by Ben E. King draws on Tindley's song.

[...]

LYRICS
When the storms of life are raging, stand by me.
When the storms of life are raging, stand by me. 
When the world is tossing me, like a ship upon the sea, 
thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me.

In the midst of tribulation, stand by me.
In the midst of tribulation, stand by me.
When the hosts of hell assail, and my strength begins to fail,
thou who never lost a battle, stand by me.

In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me.
In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me.
When I do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand,
thou who knowest all about me, stand by me.

In the midst of persecution, stand by me.
In the midst of persecution, stand by me.
When my foes in battle array, undertake to stop my way,
thou who saved Paul and Silas, stand by me.

When I'm growing old and feeble, stand by me.
When I'm growing old and feeble, stand by me.
When my life becomes a burden, and I'm nearing chilly Jordan,
O thou Lily of the Valley, stand by me.
-snip-
Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTd2ylacYNU for a remastered 1961 video of Ben E. King singing his version of the R&B song "Stand By Me".

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqHNZoMa5U&ab_channel=Marktrailhornets

Numbers added for referencing purposes only.

2014
1. regina williams
"Yes lawd miss them ole songs. Need more of the older saints

 They knew how to praise our GOD"

****
2015
2. Teresa Jordan
"Hallelujah! When the storms of life are raging, Glory! Lord, "STAND BY ME"! Took me back, took me back. Hallelujah!"

**
3. yonnie2436
"God bless him bless him Jesus... YES.. I love my southern roots in church"

**
4. Christine Williams
"Thank you for bringing back good memories make me want to cry . Ican hear them old deacon and Sisters right now. We need more of this. We can't lose our foundation"

**
5. Mr. Silas
"That's the kind of church I grew up in. Real flat foot "sangers""
-snip-
"Sangers" is a noun form of the African American Vernacular English verb "sang".

My guess is that "flat foot sanging" refer to soulful singing that compels you to pat (or stomp) your foot on the ground in accompaniment. Read #25 for another comment in this compilation that includes the term "flat foot sanging".

**
6. 
Yasmine Hurst
"
My my my, I feel a praise break..."

**
7. 
Her High Heels
"sing deacon!! this is the type of old hymns i love to listen to! takes me back to south carolina church days!  but for now i will praise him from NJ! amen! thank you Lord!!!"

**
Reply
8. Anthony Harvey, 2018
"Yes ma'am those Summer's in Newberry SC pleasant Grove Word"

**
9. George Gouard
"you don't hear that kind of signing no more from the heart"

**
Reply
10. Neattylu Lu, 2019
"U know why?......because folk sing for praise not TOO praise!"
-snip-
"Too" = "To"
**
Reply
11, Melissa S. Lewis, 2019
"@Neattylu Lu oh my! Never heard the Truth spoken like that."

**
12. Katrina Booker
"
He felt his help at 2:30!  Sang Deacon!"

**
Reply
13. Keish, 2017
"Yesssss!!πŸ™Œ"

**
Reply
14. Marcus Arline, 2019
"Yes he did"

**
Reply
15. iveywebb, 2019
"THAT PART πŸ™πŸΎ"

****
2016
16. Andrea Danford
"sang dec yes stand by me ain't nothing like a ok skool gospel hymn"

**
17. Tasha Nolan
"My great uncle Gilbert used to sing this song in tinner and shut the church house down!!!  This reminds me of his walk and worship in Christ... Thank you for sharing... your song is a testimony!

Remain blessed my brother😘"

**
18. Gabby West
"This is Shelly Davis from Elba, Alabama, my homeboy. If yall think this is singing, you should of heard him thirty years ago. He is truly blessed and has been singing God's praises all his life"

**
Reply
19. clark clark, 2018
"Gabby West this made me cry. I loved going to church as a little girl and listening to the older people getting down like this you could feel the Holy Gost inside of me and I couldn't hold it back. I missed real church."

**
Reply
20. Michelle Johnson, 2020
"That's experience..This is a voice of a man who's seen some things,been through some stuff...I feel Blessed to hear it!"

**
21. Fo2grf Chik
"They don't sing songs like this in church these days ‪#‎LetsGoBack"

**
Reply
22. rjfirst74, 2017
"I'm in Texas and we still sing these hymns and devotion. Now lots of churches have gotten away from Deacon devotion..😊"

**
Reply
23. Tracy Davis, 2017
" I'm from Texas and this reminds me of the Deacons that was in my home Church πŸ€—."

**
Reply
24. Connected One, 2017
"Fo2grf Chik They are too progressive now...."

**
Reply
25. M. Y. SHORT, 2017
"J Rabb!t I live in the mountains of East Tennessee and have yet to find a church with flat foot SANGING like this"

**
Reply
M. Y. SHORT, 2017
26. "Connected One IKR they just don't know that sometimes to progress, you have to look back from wence they came

**
Reply
27. xjl055, 2018
"rjfirst74 sho you right"

**
Reply
28. xjl055, 2018
"Fo2grf Chik I'm from TX and that's how we sing it"

**
Reply
29. Ronney Hess, 2018
"xjl055 ..I agree I’m from Corpus Christi and Texas still do it!"

****
2017
30. 
Renee G
"yaaasss!! I knooow he's alright!!!! sang brother Deacon!!!"

**
31. Yvette Decarlo
"u betta sang Deacon! got me over here shouting!!"

**
32. OcTavia Jones
"Oooohhhhh Laaawwwwd.   I had to stop and have a moment.   He took me way back and redeemed me.  I was going through and have no grandparents and he reminded me of church they way it used to be"

**
33. Buckeyecat2002
"Amen Deacon Davis. Once upon a time the choir was the slaves who sang the old Americanized African spirituals as work songs, in the fields with no instruments, other than their voices. They did the beset they could. That's why we're still here, until we go up yonder. Thank you Jesus for standing by me"

**
34. 
A CHOSEN VESSEL
"I grew up on this kind of soulful singing."

**
35. Laurel Royal
"I sure miss these days, I love old time gospel!"

**
36. A CHOSEN VESSEL
"Let the church say amen. If your soul is satisfied say amen y'all."

**
37. J Rabb!
"I miss this in church today. Everything is so commercial and contrived...this is old time religion and an unconditional love for God. Thank you Deacon."

**
Reply
38. Sonya Sez, 2020
"Preach!!"

**
39. Kenneth Nelson
"I am from Silas, Alabama....I remember those days going to church with my Grandmother and her church hat...seeing the Deacons pray and sing like this.  I didn't understand as a child...but now as a man I do.  I'm watching this with tears flowing down my cheeks....because my Father has taken me thru the storm."

**
40. 44Blessed01
"SANG THAT DEACON!! You have sure nough Blessed my soul with this.. Yall having Chuch!! Thats right Chuch without the R.. back in the days we didnt need any music to bless is name! Glory!!"

**
41. Anita Aiken
"ALL I CAN DO IS WAVE MY πŸ™‹!!! #Yessssuhhhhh"

**
42. A Willis
"Love this; earlier today I played it over and over and over... [love the sister's voice that inspired her soul to sing out some trills]."

**
43. NKenga Warren
"Mother holding the background YASSSSSS"

****
44. WHAT? OHEYESEE!
The further we get away from this type of music the worse the church gets. We need to go back to that old landmark.

**
Reply
45. Bobby Poche, 2019
"So True.  This is what I grew up on.  Things are so different now."

**
Reply
46. San Turner, 2019
You betta preach!!

**
Reply
47. Montica Harris, 2019
WHAT? OHEYESEE! I agree ☝️ with you This all I listen to is old gospel music...

**
Reply
48. Brenda Williams, 2019
Amen. It was this type of singing that glorified God and encouraged one's heart in the Lord. This new age gospel they sing today sounds like club music!

**
Reply
49. Skyla Manning, 2019
"
Amen"

**
Reply
50. Losnb, 2020
We in trouble now......We need need Deacon Davis to do so Country wide Devotion.

**
Reply
51. Willie Brown, 2020
"
Yes all this new stuff is water πŸ’¦ down"

**
Reply
52. Marsha Burton, 2020
"You’re right. We can’t forget this. Some of the new stuff is good, but this right here? Comes from the soul and should never be forgotten or disappear."

**
Reply
53. HoxFeesh, 2020
"This old stuff was so HEAVY and THICK with the Holy Ghost.  This new stuff can't compare.  The spirit in me says so."

**
Reply
54. Eric, 2020
"I don’t know if anyone will see this message, but it’s not the music that we need. This man sings like this because of relationship with Jesus Christ. It’s from the flow of intimacy that the anointing comes. The song is just an outward confession of an inward profession. Blessings"

**
Reply
55. WHAT? OHEYESEE!, 2020
"@Eric

You're actually agreeing with me. We have gotten away from this as we have gotten away from Jesus and true biblical Christianity. But you said it better and we need more clarity in this day and age."

**
Reply
56. Yvette Floyd, 2020
"As the old folks use to say, "Sho nuff you right".  This is true worship.  This is what we need in the churches today."

**
Reply
57. Donna Reney, 2020
"Yes indeed. I totally agree"

**
58. Argerine Jordan, 2020
"Oh yes!!"

**
Reply
59. Toni Blackman, 2020
"FACTS!"

**
Reply
60. Just Trying 2BMe, 2020
"We sing like this each Sunday in the Church of Christ."


****
2018
61. Marylin Carter
"He was down home singing from his heart.I could feel him."
-snip-
In this context, "down home" has the vernacular English meaning "from African Americans who live in or are from the South (the southern region of the United States)". 

**
62. Pat F
"My God! Yes! We really need to get back to this type of gospel. Soul stirring! Thank you Jesus!"

**
63. Kdoggndahouz
"Hatch up the windows, that's real gospel music. Preach on brother! Preach on!"

**
64. "Shaquince Johnson
"Bringing me back to the ole landmark. When we had the mourners bench."

**
65. Tashunna Moore
"Singing with no Mic. I miss going to church when I was 5 years old and church was like this. 😒😒 bring back good memories."

**
66. H Peter Ray
"When you hear ol’ anointed singing like this, it goes way down in your spirit. You can tell this man has lived what he is singing"

**
67. Brennan Redding
"THIS IS OLD SCHOOL CHURCH GOT ME IN TEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

****
2019
68. Angela Palmer
"Yes yes when I done the best that I CAN sang sang!!!Stand by ME he's alrite"

**
69. joames hill
"Who are 352 people that don't like this. They must be born in the 90s or the 2000s. Man I haven't heard this since the 70s. It goes to show you even though as a child i didnt understand this song i understand this today."

**
70. TheSanctifieddiva
"πŸ˜„πŸ‘πŸ½ Lawd!! This is a traditional classic of the black, small baptist church; :)) OMGosh ... lest we forget!

Ty for this: πŸ‘ the paneled wood walls; red benches; corner ceiling speaker; a side set of open drums (& drummer: thx for sitting still & not trying to dominate & demand a beat); 1 singing deacon (w/ a white hanky, rubbing the achy leg 🀣, & a cane); a few fam folk in the midst joyfully listening. Myyy God πŸ™†πŸ½‍♀️...this was the good ole days... the real service of the Lord πŸ‘πŸ½!!"

**
71. Arigna Watersreaser
"Also love the lady in back that echoes what he says etc"

**
72. Tina Sanders Benton
"Lord please stand by me! I miss these hymns. We need to bring these songs back. Whatever I do whatever your goimg through just break out with songs like this. BE ENCOURAGED."

**
73. Bella B
"Speaks to OUR souls.....we are so lost. Even the Church is trying to be of the World. Lord help us."

**
74. 
Lady bug Lady bug
"I love this we need to get away from all this dressing up and jumping around. You can just feel the spirit."

**
75. 
sherri Nixon
"😭😭This bring back memories of  My Grandparents In Mississippi. My Grandfather start of prayer on his knees at church and song like. Breaks out. I remember those moment was so Beautiful to me and my Grandmother have on her white usher out fit with hat never know how precious moment are until know God for yourself. Being a little Girl and every summer me and brother came back go church with grandparents. Song back then to me was so peaceful. Grandparents been going a long time. I miss them.."

**
76. Rod McKinney
"This is real church that l grew up with. The 300 thumbs down people want the boogie woogie church"

**
77. Juanita Jones
"Oh Lawd...I can feel his soul... Beautiful πŸ™πŸ’―"

**
78. 
Katherine Newsome
"Something about the church elders I love this song 😍"

**
79. Terry Brown
"When the elders wipe their foreheads, you know its about to go down. Especially when they stand up!!!!! I remember my granddaddy singing all morning and the preacher would wait until he got finished. No matter if its 2 hours later!!!!! This is how i was raised..."

**
80. Kayla Bell
"I grew up in a church like that where the elders just started singing Acapella. That's what you call having Church. Churches need to bring back that old time religion πŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎ Amen thank you Jesus"

**
81. Connie Greene Flintall
"I remember my mother singing those good old hymns. I love hearing the old hymns."

**
82. Barbara Lane
"Yessssss Lord!! Brings me back,amen, thank you Jesus!! Don't need a piano,sing old school,sing!!"

**
83. GLOBAL WORD FILMS & TV
"Wood paneling, red pews, drummer in the corner and a few members, you know it’s deep rooted GOD-SoulSaving GOSPEL !!!! Good Ol’ Southern Gospel!!!"

**
84. Deborah Lewis
"This is what I grew up on! I love it! Brings tears to my eyes. Amen"

**
Reply
85. celeste matthews
"@Deborah Lewis I'm raised up off these traditional gospel music myself"

**
Reply
86. Argerine Jordan, 2020
"@Deborah Lewis Same here. Memories☺☺"

**
Reply
87. K. Dailey, 2020
"You ain't never lie and that brother can hold a keyπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘"

**
88. Herman /Huseb
"I'm from Africa/Namibia,,,I can't get enough of this mans singing, may the Lord bless you and your family"

**
89. Jessie BEE
"This right here is what I remember chuuuch sounding like when I was a little girl and I appreciate it! Bless the name of the Lord Jesus!"
-snip-
"Chuuuch" was probably purposely spelled that way to evoke the downhome way some African Americans said/say that word.

**
90. Traci Backhaus
"That’s how you know you can really sing is to sing without music i love old songs like these when my family gets together we reach back and get those old songs and just sang all day and yes i said sang and meant it!!!!"

**
91. Christian's Grandma
"No background music, no special effects, none needed when you live the song you sing about. The power of the Holy Spirit came through this video. 😒 Thank you for sharing. This will be added to my daily meditation playlist. 🌹"

**
92. Dub Duce
"The love and power of God in his voice"

**
93. JAZZLlFE
"THIS is the kind of worship & praise I grew up on and it's the kind of worship & praise I miss. I just can't get with 97% of so called gospel music now-a-days."

**
94. Yolanda Dunmore
"I’m so blessed that I stumbled upon this video today!  My grandfather was a deacon in our church and sang songs similar to this gentleman.  I got goosebumps from listening to him sing.  He was truly praising God!  Thank you for sharing this video!!!"

**
95. Sheree White
"This is spiritual food for your soul, no matter what race, gender, young or old!!!!! This man can sang! Much respect to you sir!"

**
96. μ•€μ„œλ‹ˆ μ•Ό
"Respect for churches who stand guard and keep the old time ways. What a blessing. I still get this every time I visit Alabama. πŸ™πŸΏ"

**
97. DarknLuvly G
"Glory Glory Glory i miss church like this. They older ones really put their hearts in it"

**
98. Leonard york
"Man I miss them days when a deacon would get up an get the church going"

**
99. Mariea Jackson
"Wow..reminds me of my southern upbringing..and my granddad...tears"

****
2020
100. jaylove5555
"Man we sure don’t sing like this any more."

**
101. Darlene Scott
"My father was a deacon. I grew up on this type of prayer service and worship. Young people just don't get it."

**
102. james barton
"That old sanging had me rocking side to side"

**
103. Tonya Gerald
"Praise God! Hallelujah! Miss this type of singing in church ."

**
104. 
E Knight
"Jesus, this Holy Ghost-filled Deacon brought tears to my eyes. Ole School for real. πŸ™Œ"

**
105. Assatta Lewis
"reminds me of when i was a little girl and the deacons was on 1 side and the deaconessess were on the other. just like this church. drummer in the corner. lord this bring back so many memories"

**
106. Terence Harris
"When church used to be CHURCH!!! That came from his soul! I remember those days as a child. I don't know what he's been through to get to where he is but he knows that God brought him through it. I'd love to see/hear him on American Idol Season 1, Episode 1. Here's our winner. Cancel the remainder of the season. Shows over. Roll credits!"

**
107. Sherika Lang
"
YES, SIR, STAND BY ME, LAWD! Sang it, Deacon!!!"

**
108. 
Cynthia Elaine
"This is what's missing from church today.  Sing from the soul and break up some demons!!!  Sing Dean Davis!!! AMEN!"

**
108. Angela Dixon
"That's what I 'm talking about these folks don't have church like that anymore. That was my grandmother days when you had to be in church  I love  it.I wish we could  go back to those days."

**
109. Diane Whitfield
"YESSSSSSS YESSSSSSS YESSSSSSS, HALLELUJAH, I L❤VE SONGS LIKE THIS, SANG DEACON!THEN SOMEONE IN THE BACKGROUND MOANING & SINGING WITH HIM, YESSSSSSS! I MISS THIS YOLK DESTROYING, BURDEN REMOVING, ENJOYING JESUS, ETC, CHURCH SERVICES, YESSSSSSS! THANKS, FOR SHARING!"

**
110. Burl Copeland
"This is what I grew up with,  that new  age Gospel hopping around and dancing in church need to stop!"

**
111. 
JAMES JEFFERSON
"Worlds Greatest Spiritual Singing. Going Way Back Like The Dixie Hummingbird Highway Qcs The  Sensational Nightingales, Five Blind Boys, Swan Silvertones,Soul Stirriers, The Harmonizing Four, The Brooklyn Allstars. The List Goes on."

**
112. ChevyDude65
"I am white but we grew up in black churches. My father was a pastor and we always were tied to the Church of God In Christ and the Baptist church. This is what we were at home with and it was perfectly normal for us. It brings back so memories because the deacons would sing and make your hair stand up. We always looked at these men with so much respect because they were giants of faith to us."

**
113. Eddie Hughes
"This real gospel music, they singing that R&B gospel now days."

**
114. Paris Vega
"at 1:56 he hits a falsetto note that just saved the world."

**
115. Nalani Brooks
"But when he stood up, it got real baby! Yes Sir, testify!!!! I felt the spirit for sure!!!!"

**
116. Peachie B
"Deac said "he got a birthright" to sang. Sho you right.! Hey stand by me, Yes Sur. COME ON COME ON!!!!!!!!!!πŸ˜²πŸ˜²πŸ˜²πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™"

** 
117. young nurse
"Now see this is church service !!

Lord knows I wish I could find a church that sings like this!!

Probably have to go way deep down South back in the woods shack like church to hear this kind of gospel.singing !

He don't need no music !!!!

Praise HIM Deacon,  praise HIM !!

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™"

**
118. JBOOGIE
"Whoever dislike this video don't must dont like good old school down south gospel cause I love it"

 **
119. 
 THEFAMILYGRIND
"When they stopped singing the old hymns the LORD left the building and so did morality salvation and integrity..."

**
120. Donna Reney
"That's when church was church. I miss them old hymms and good old fashion preaching and devotion. It done turn to politics  and who can dress and sing the best now"

**
121. Charles Nelson
"Man I had a whole flashback to my youth and those elders would sit around harmonizing straight from the soul. So blessed to have been fortunate enough to witness the trails they blazed"

**
122. Dianna Harris
"Those old school traditional gospel really make you reflect on your experiences and remind you just how good God is. This is our heritage in song...really tell our story. I know he alright..something about his name. Thank you Lord."

**
123. Eric M
"I LOVE IT , Sang DEACON !"

**
124. Cheryl Faison, Oct. 2020
"Deacon Shelly Davis Jr.,  transitioned  to be with The Lily of the Valley on Monday, October 05, 2020 aged 75 years. His Homegoing Celebration is Saturday, October 17, 2020 in the humble town of Elba, Alabama. 

He will be deeply missed by all that knew him, loved him and encountered his magnificent voice

Deacon Davis loved lending his voice to the World to Praise and Glorify the King of Glory, Our
Father in Heaven. We loved him dearly, he was more than Deacon Davis or Our Stepfather,  he is our Papa Shelly who loved our Mother, Mrs. Tommie so dearly and whom he endearingly referred to often as his "Darling Wife." We will honor his memory and love by doing what we can to look after her and know that God is always looking from above over her. 

We thank you all for your loving and inspirational comments. Before he took illness that kept him hospitalized from May_October 2020, I would update him on the views of this video which we believe was randomly posted by his nephew on Papa Shelly's brothers channel, we are not certain but nevertheless this brought him immense joy and satisfaction.

He was so happy to know that he had reached the world with the Gospel through Glorifying God through his singing. His face would beam with a smile to brighten heaven and he got tickled each time I would tell him soon he would have over a Million Views. This came true, then he was featured on Facebook Fan  Pages for Mike Steele and Loretta Coleman Ministries which each had thousands of additional views. He was very grateful,  overjoyed and humbly proud.

We are grateful for those that expressed their support and positive thoughts.  We pray for you all, well wishers, believers and the unbelievers alike as we know Christ's Love is Unconditional and can yet prick and prune the hearts of those that yet doubt or disbelieve, He Loves All Unconditionally and waits patiently for each of us to answer as He knocks at the door.

May God Bless you and make His face shine upon you eternally.

Much Love to All,

Sister Cheryl Faison

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment