Translate

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Two Records Of "See You Later, Alligator" by Bobby Charles & by Bill Hailey & The Comets (YouTube examples, information, & song lyrics)



the 45prof, June 25, 2019

“Bobby Charles” was singer-songwriter Robert Guidry, who also wrote “Walking To New Orleans” for Fats Domino and ”(I Don’t Know Why) But I Do” for Clarence “Frogman” Henry. His “Later Alligator” was released in November 1955 but didn’t chart on Billboard until March ’56, weeks after Bill Haley’s top-10 cover version had peaked ...
**** Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series on popular catchphrases such as "See You Later. alligator & "After while, crocodile".

Part I showcases two YouTube examples of this song. The first example is a sound file by Bobby Charles, that song's composer and the second is a YouTube video of Bill Hailey & The Comets performing the most popular cover recording of that song.

Information about Bobby Charles and information about Bill Hailey & The Comets are included in this post along with the lyrics for the song "See You Later Alligator".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/03/two-excerpts-from-online-article-and.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II presents an excerpt of  the 2020 article ‘See You Later Alligator ' Originated In U.S. Teenagers' Slang" by Pascal Tréguer and an excerpt of a 2012 National Public Radio (NPR) transcript of a "Fresh Air" segment about Bobby Charles, the composer of the song "See You Later, Alligator".  

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/03/did-black-americans-originate-rhyming.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. Part III includes my editorial comments and some article excerpts that I believe corroborate my position that the sayings "See you later, alligator", and "Afterwhile, crocodile" originated from and were first popularized by Black Americans. 

The content of this post is presented for cultural and entertainment purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Bobby Charles and to Bill Hailey & The Comets for their musical legacies. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers for these examples on YouTube. 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT BOBBY CHARLES
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Charles
"Robert Charles Guidry (February 21, 1938 – January 14, 2010), known as Bobby Charles, was an American singer-songwriter.[1]

Early life

An ethnic Cajun, Charles was born in Abbeville, Louisiana, and grew up listening to Cajun music and the country and western music of Hank Williams. At the age of 15, he heard a performance by Fats Domino, an event that "changed my life forever," he recalled.[2]

Career and highlights

Charles helped to pioneer the south Louisiana musical genre known as swamp pop. His compositions include the hits "See You Later, Alligator", which he initially recorded as "Later Alligator", but which is best known from the cover version by Bill Haley & His Comets, and "Walking to New Orleans" and "It Keeps Rainin'", written for Fats Domino.

[…]

Because of his south Louisiana–influenced rhythm and blues vocal style, Charles sometimes has been thought to be black, when in fact he was white.[3]

[…]

Honors

In September 2007, the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame honored Charles for his contributions to Louisiana music with an induction.”…

****
INFORMATION ABOUT BILL HAILEY AND THE COMETS
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Haley
"William John Clifton Haley (July 6, 1925 –February 9, 1981) was a pioneering American rock and roll musician. He is credited by many with first popularizing this form of music in the early 1950s with his group Bill Haley & His Comets and million-selling hits such as "Rock Around the Clock", "See You Later, Alligator", "Shake, Rattle and Roll", "Rocket 88", "Skinny Minnie", and "Razzle Dazzle". His recordings have sold over 60 million records worldwide.[1][2]"...

****
LYRICS: SEE YOU LATER, ALLIGATOR (originally titled "LATER ALLIGATOR)
(written by Bobby Charles)

Well, I saw my baby walkin'
With another man today
Well, I saw my baby walkin'
With another man today
When I asked her what's the matter
This is what I heard her say

See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
Can't you see you're in my way now
Don't you know you cramp my style

When I though of what she told me
Nearly made me lose my head
When I though of what she told me
Nearly made me lose my head
But the next time that I saw her
Reminded her of what she said

See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
Can't you see you're in my way now
Don't you know you cramp my style

She said I'm sorry pretty daddy
You know my love is just for you
She said I'm sorry pretty daddy
You know my love is just for you
Won't you say that you'll forgive me
And say your love for me is true

I said wait a minute 'gator
I know you mean it just for play
I said wait a minute 'gator
I know you mean it just for play
Don't you know you really hurt me
And this is what I have to say

See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
Can't you see you're in my way now
Don't you know you cramp my style

See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later, Alligator

So long
That's all
Goodbye

 

Written By Bobby Charles

Release Date [for the Bill Hailey & The Comets" record] - December 12, 1955

Source: https://genius.com/Bill-haley-and-his-comets-see-you-later-alligator-lyrics

****

YOUTUBE VIDEO EXAMPLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hb66FH9AzI&ab_channel=LoizosLoizou


LoizosLoizou, Oct. 22, 2013

****
This concludes Part I of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome
.  

No comments:

Post a Comment