Translate

Friday, January 29, 2021

Nigerian Alté Music Singer Tems - "Try Me" (Official Video), with information, lyrics, & selected comments



Tems, August 16, 2019

Tems is a Nigerian singer, focused on promoting the movement currently shaping alternative music in Nigeria to advance the culture and conversations alike.
-snip-
Statistics (as of January 29, 2021 at 7:47 AM ET.
Total # of views -  
4,590,009
Total # of likes - 58K
Total # of dislikes -567
Total # of comments- 3,286

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post provides information about Nigerian singer Tems and showcases her 2019 hit song "Try Me".

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Tems for her musical creativity. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT TEMS
From 
https://vk.com/@-175923414-rss-1031911289-2044132150#:~:text=Tems%20is%20a%20Nigerian%20singer,name%20in%20the%20music%20industry. "Tems Biography, Songs, Age, Education, and Net Worth" by Nigeria News Blog, 14 Sept  (2019)  

Tems is a Nigerian singer and songwriter born in Lagos on 11th July 1995.  She grew up singing in her church choir in 2009 and rose to become one of the young famous singers in Nigeria. The success of her 2019’s Try Me saw her emerge into a big name in the music industry. Also, the fact that she released a song with American musician Khalid and Nigerian hip hop start, Davido, she landed herself right in the hall of fame. In this post, we will be writing about Tems biography, her age, songs, educational background, and her net worth.

Tems Biography

Temilade Openiyi, popularly known as Tems was born on the 11th of July, 1995, in Lagos

 [...]

The alternative singer’s journey into the music industry began when she was 20. She released her first EP, “Time Swap EP” in 2013. Her first recognized single, “Mr. Rebel”, a song that got more than 200,000 views on youtube came after her album “Illumination” in 2018. She followed it up with another single, titled “Looku Looku” a song that was widely accepted and Nigerian radio stations gave it enough air-plays. She measured up with another hit single, “Try me”, and solidified her name in the hall of fame. Try me by Tems was released in August 2019 and has gained more than 2 million views on Youtube alone."...

****
LYRICS - TRY ME

(Tems)

Take out my mind
Take all the joy now
Take me down
Take all the love now
Tie me away, burn me alive now
Break me down right now

Now you wanna lock me away
I’m winning
You wanna add to my pain
I’m shining
Now you wan come for my face
Ideally, We’re not the, we’re not the same nah nah


So why you wanna try me, yeah try me
You out to destroy me, destroy me
You try to challenge me, challenge me
You try to distract me, distract me


If I was the Ganja, the ganja
You bring the lighter, the lighter
Roll me Rizzla, in Rizzla
And set me on Fire, on fire

 

Yeah
So I woke up in the night
I Broke out of my chains
Stay in your lane
you don’t know my name


You crossed a line
We will never die
This is where you end
Wee/ ooh chile

Now you wanna lock me away
I’m winning
You wanna add to my pain
I’m shining
Now you wan come for my face
Ideally, We’re not the, we’re not the same nah nah

So why you wanna try me, yeah try me
You out to destroy me, destroy me
You try to challenge me, challenge me
You try to distract me, distract me

If I was the Ganja, the ganja
You bring the lighter, the lighter
Roll me Rizzla, in Rizzla
And set me on Fire, on fire

Cuz you want to be me, but you can’t
There’s a fire in the sky, it’s burning
And I’m always gonna keep running yeah

 Yeah, yeah

 
So why you, why you wanna take me
Why you, why you wanna try me

X2

Why wanna try me, why you wanna try me
Why you try me baaaabbbbbe


Tell me why you wannna try ay ay ay ay
Tell me why you wannna try ay ay ay ay
Why you wanna try
Tell me why you wanna tryyyy

So why you wanna try me, yeah try me
You out to destroy me, destroy me
You try to challenge me, challenge me
You try to distract me, distract me


If I was the Ganja, the ganja
You bring the lighter, the lighter
Roll me Rizzla, in Rizzla
And set me on Fire, on fire



Posted to the discussion thread of the official YouTube video for this song by 
Ricardo Andrés Delgado Lander, 2019 
-snip-
Here's information about the brand name "Rizzla" from
" Rizla, commercially styled Rizla+ ("Riz La Croix") /ˈrɪzlə/, is a French brand of rolling papers and other related paraphernalia in which tobacco, or marijuana, or a mixture, is rolled to make handmade joints and cigarettes.... 

The name "Rizla" came in 1886 ("Riz" being the French word for rice and "La+" as an abbreviation of Lacroix).[1] Rizla rolling papers are available in a range of thicknesses, indicated by the colour of the packaging, and sizes."

****
SELECTED COMMENTS
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVEp-P2-rqY&ab_channel=Tems
These comments are given in relative chronological order based on their publishing date, except for replies. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

2019

1. Blessed Adom
"
Was in love with this song from day one, her delivery is so different from the regular Nigerian songs we are used to. I also thought she was a foreign artist but lo and behold she is Nigerian."

**  
2. ADEWALE MOSOBALAJE
"I heard this song first on Lagos talks 91.3. I was like "who is dis dude"? Never knew she was a Nigerian. Honestly speaking dis song gave me GOOSEBUMBS throughout d duration of listening to it. The lyrics, content, composition, arrangement & video are all on point. Thumbs up TEMS!!! u've gotten yourself a new fan 2day!!!!!"

**
3. pheabian Miller
"Sis brought all the energy to the set!!!🔥🔥🔥🔥Can’t no one try you girl periodt!!!!😝😝😝"


**
4. kediddy 84 
"Never knew she is Nigerian, thought she is Jamaican"

**
Reply
5. ONUOHA CHINAZA, 2020
"Jamaica or 9ja all was given birth by mama Africa"

**
6. Elizabeth Oke 
"I would never have known such a great song with meaningful lyrics and a beautiful face to the sweet voice exist if not for TACHA. This song has been on replay ever since I heard it somedays about on TACHA'S insta page"
-snip-
Tacha is a leading Nigerian influencer.

**
7. Okenyi Christian c
"God bless you Queen of Titans @symply_tacha  for bringing me here..This song is MAD o😘😘"

****
2020

8. Dani Tea
"Hi Tems, I just saw your interview on accellerate brilliant and sincere.

Just wanted to say I support your music, be feisty fight for your truth and don't let 2020 try you. It doesn't matter what you come up or how tough it could be. We are with you, use that fire to fuel your music.

No nice girl😊❤❤"

** 
9. Leonard Adams
"
What a strong statement she is making in this song. We as Africans are resilient"

**
10. Jem
"This is like listening to the Nigerian version of Koffee ❤️😊 She's making a name for herself.. First time I've listened to this and I like!! 👌🎶💕"
-snip-
Koffee is a popular Jamaican Reggae singer. Click 
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/04/koffee-toast-jamaican-reggae-video.html for a pancocojams post entitled "Koffee - "Toast" (Jamaican Reggae video & lyrics)"

** 
11. Tosin Predido
"Uganda 🇺🇬 thank you for your foolishness. She's way bigger now"

**
Reply 
12. Chapman Alexander
"In fact I never knew who she was until I heard she was arrested. Everything happens 4 a reason."


**
Reply 
13. Amito Acholi Quinn
"Trust me we love her that's why we wanted her to perform. It's the police that is messed up here."


**
14. Sunday Olawoyin
"Thank God you are freed from Uganda....

They only tried to TRY YOU but can't destroy you.."
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/01/pidgen-english-article-excerpt-about.html for the related pancocojams post entitled "Pidgin English Article Excerpt About Nigerian Singer Omah Lay, His Sister (Singer) Tems, & Others Arrested In Uganda (Dec. 2020)" Tems, her brother singer Omah Lay, and others were arrested in Uganda for allegedly violating Covid-19 rules about  holding a concert. 

*️* 
15. Jeeleigh Anne 
"The women and men in this video is all types beautiful and handsome. Love it!"

****
2021

16. 
TMZed 260
"Gyal dem bad🔥"

**
17. Lesedi Ramokgopa
"the black girl magic in this vid"

** 
18. Phrancisco
"How do Nigerians do it? With no input from the government, Nigerians always find a way to re-invent themselves; birth new lyrical and intellectual geniuses. Tems, your songs are wonderful!"

**
19. Robyn Ross
"Powerfullllllllllll 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️"

** 
20. Oluwafemi Olawolu
"I just fully listened to this song for this first time ever and I am blown away. Always thought who sang this song is not Nigerian and now I'm just so hooked seeing this is Nigeria.

 Mehn...we have gone far in the music industry!!!

Nice one TEMS... This is just the beginning!"


****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment