Translate

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Examples Of The Children's Rhyme "Two Lips" Or "Tulips Together" (also known as "The Spades Go")

Edited by Azizi Powell

Revised July 4, 2023

This pancocojams post provides a compilation of some examples of the children's rhymes that are known as "Two Lips" (also known as "Tulips together" or "The Spades Go" or other titles (first lines).   

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, recreational, and socio-cultural purposes.

 All copyrights remain with their owners.

 Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Some of these examples were previously included in this pancocojams post or its comment section:
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-real-meaning-of-spades-go-space-go.html "The REAL Meaning Of "The Spades Go" & "The Space Go" In Playground Rhymes".

**
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/10/examples-of-childrens-rhymes-that_26.html for the pancocojams post entitled "
Examples Of Children's Rhymes That Include The Phrase "The Spades Go" Or "The Space Goes" (except for "Two Lips"/Tulips Together" Rhymes)"

Also, click
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-saying-call-spade-spade-article.html for this closely related pancocojams post entitled "The Saying "Call A Spade A Spade" (article excerpts & comments)".

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTES (revised Oct. 26, 2020, 11:32 PM ET)
My guess is that the children's rhymes that are most widely known in the United States as "Two Lips", "Tulips Together" or "The Spades Go" are folk processed forms of the words "true love forever" or "true love together". Notice the example given as #1 below with its words "
 true love together/twilight forever".

It's not surprising that "tulips together" would be part of a rhyme about love given this quote: 
https://flowermeanings.org/tulip-flower-meaning/#:~:text=Tulip%20and%20the%20love%20symbolism,for%20Valentine's
"
Tulip is one of the most recognized and beloved flowers in the world. It is universally known as the symbol of love and romance, and people usually gift this flower to the person they love. Tulip flower has a very long history of existence and it was often used as a symbol in art and literature. Tulip flowers can often be found in poems and in paintings of many famous artists. Their presence represented something symbolical that needed to be transferred to the viewer or to the person reading a poem


[..]


Bright red Tulips symbolize love and passion. This is the perfect bouquet of flowers you can send to someone you love and adore. This is the right kind of message you want to pass on to this special person"...
-end of quote- 

Some versions of "two lips"/"tulips together" rhymes and certain other recreational begin with or contain the words  "the spades go" or "the space goes". I believe that "the space goes" is a folk processed form of "the spades go".  

I don't think that most children who chanted these "Two Lips" (Tulips Together" rhymes or other recreational rhymes with the words "the spades go" knew the history of the word "spade" and that it was used as a referent for Black people.

Furthermore, when I come across the word "spades" in children's rhymes, y used now and I don't consider it a slur. 
Saying "the spades go" was a way of attributing the words of those rhymes or the way the rhymes were performed to Black people (or more specifically, to Black girls). That attribution lent authenticity to those rhymes and/or to their performance activities. That was because Black girls were (and still are) considered to be the arbiters of "the real way" that those songs or those hand clap rhymes were/are supposed to be sung, or chanted and performed.

This was/is partly because Black girls were/are considered to be the sources of many of these rhymes, or were/are considered to be the "coolest" or "hippest" examples of how those rhymes should be performed. This same dynamic can be found in the use of introductory phrases as "the Black people say" or "the Black people sing" in vaudeville songs. And this same dynamic can be found in past and current attitudes that mainstream American (i.e. White America) had/has about Black people being the "go to" population when it comes to learning how to do popular R&B/Hip Hop dances."...
-snip-
I believe that "the spades go" is another way of saying "The Blacks go" (Note that "the Blacks" is a socially unacceptable way of saying "The Black people".) 
 
Here's an example of the children's rhyme "Shimmy Shimmy Co Co Pop" which begins with the words "The Blacks go". That rhyme is included in a 1973 book of children's rhymes Shimmy Shimmy Coke-Ca-Pop!, A Collection of City Children's Street Games & Rhymes, edited by John Langstaff, Carol Langstaff,   (Garden City, New York, Double Day & Co; p. 76; 1973)

"The Blacks go down down baby
Down by the roller coaster
Sweet sweet baby
I don't wanna let you go

Shimmy shimmy shimmy shimmy
shimmy shimmy-pop!
Shimmy shimmy shimmy shimmy
shimmy shimmy coke-ca-pop!
-snip-
The editors didn't give any demographics for these rhymes except that were performed by children in United States cities. 

Note that "the Blacks" is a socially unacceptable form of the referent "Black people".

No racial demographics are included for this rhyme from that book or for most of the rhymes that are included in this compilation. However, my guess is that the contributors of most of these rhymes are White or otherwise are non-Black. But I wouldn't be surprised if rhymes with the words "the spades say" or "the space say" have been (or still are) chanted by Black people. (Note the example given as #1 below was collected from African American children. That said, I've been collecting children's recreational rhymes directly (mostly in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area) and indirectly (mostly online), and I don't  recall ever hearing or coming across any examples of these rhymes from Black people (or from people who online self-identified as Black.). 

****
RHYME EXAMPLES
The examples that are presented in this post are given in relative chronological order (by date published off-line or online). These examples may include comments and notes about the rhyme, and/or comments about  the meaning of "spades" in that rhyme, and/or information about how the rhyme was performed.

These examples are numbered for referencing purposes only.

Example #1
"
The space goes true love together
twilight forever
Bring back my love to me
What is the matter?
When we get married
And have some children
We’ll name them
Sandra and Jane
and Billy and Tom
And Betty and Jimmy now,
Source: Let's Slice The Ice (Eleanor Fulton and Pat Smith; St. Louis, Missouri; Magnamusic-Baton; 1978; p. 30 [This is a collection of African Americans' children rhymes from various states.]

**
Example #2
"One I remember is:

Tulips together twilight in heaven bring back my love to me. It was probably 2 lips - but I was an

innocent kid back then."
-Allison, April 12, 1999

**
Example #3

"Allison:

I remember that ... didn't it start ...

The spades go tulips together

twlight in heaven

bring back my love to me?


Or something like that?

Two girls would hold hands, arms outstretched in front, and sway back and forth while singing the verses... :) 


[...]

-Butirfli@aol...[email deleted], April 13, 1999
-snip-
Both Example #2 and Example #3 were found in the Archive through June 8, 2000 of the Girl's games; Clap and Rhyme section of that streetplay website. That streetplay website has changed to a members only forum. 

 **
Example #4
"
Does anyone know a hand clapping song called (I think?) "Ace of Spades"? It goes like this:

Ace of spades goes two lips together,

down and forever

bring back my love to me

what is the meaning meaning meaning

of all the flow-ow-ow-ow-flowers

they tell the sto-o-o-o-story

the story of love from me to you


Then I think it goes back to Ace of Spades, but I don't remember if there are any more verses, and I don't remember the specifics of the hand clapping.

Anyone out there know anything more?

Thanks!!!"

-ratgirl,http://hubpages.com/hub/Recess-is-BACK-Hand-Clapping-Games, May 10, 2010
-snip-
This link is still active but doesn't include the "Ace Of Spades" example.

**
Example #5
"I used to play a game with my friends when we were kids.  You used to

clap hands and sing a song called "The spades go tow lips together,

twilights forever, bring back my love to me."  Can you help me find

the rest of the lyrics/verses?  Thank you."
-hippo-ga, 27 Jul 2003,  http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=235768

**
Example #6
"Here's a longer version of this hand-clapping song:

"The spades go
 Two lips together
 Twilight forever
 Bring back my love to me
 I love you one and only
 I love you personally
 And that's the story
 Of L-O-V-E love
 My heart goes
 Bum-ba-de-ump-bump
 Bum-ba-de-ump-bump
 Over the likes of you
 I saw the ship sail away
 It sailed a year and a day
 My love is far far away
 And I love him too
 Oh yes I do
 Cha cha cha
 Cross cross cross
 Applesauce
 Pumpkin pie"
-pinkfreud-ga on 27 Jul 2003, http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=235768
-snip-
This commenter cited a google.com/group as the source for that example. Google.com/groups are no longer
active.

This commenter also shared several other variations of this rhyme on that page. I'm posting 
those rhymes as separate examples. The examples that have google.com/groups are cited that way 
without any longer address for those no longer active groups. 
**
Example #7
"The spades go two lips together, 
 Blood in the gutter, 
 Bring back my love to me.
 What is the meaning of all these flowers? 
 They tell the story, 
 The story of love from me to you, cha cha cha!"
-pinkfreud-ga on 27 Jul 2003, http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=235768,
google.com/group
**
Example #8
"A spade is
 Two hearts in heaven
 Working together
 To bring back my true love to me
 What is the meaning
 Of all the flowers
 That tell the story
 The story of L-O-V-E
 The story of love..."
-pinkfreud-ga on 27 Jul 2003, http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=235768,
from The Phrase Finder: Clapping Rhyme, 
http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/16/messages/614.html [link no longer active] 

**
Example #9
"The spades go tulips together,
 Twilight forever,
 Bring back my love to me.
 What is the meaning 
 Of all these flowers?
 It is the meaning
 The meaning of love from me to you."
-pinkfreud-ga on 27 Jul 2003, http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=235768,
google.com/group
-snip-
Here's what pinkfreud-ga wrote about how this rhyme was played:
"Here's a description of the hand motions associated with this song,
from the last newsgroup post linked above:

"In Brooklyn, the elementary school girls would play hand games at the
same time that they chanted a rhyme. Two girls would face each other,
then pat each other's hands in a particular pattern, which had to be
learned. There were several patterns, which were taught from girl to
girl.

For example, the right hand would face up and the left hand down for
the first pat. Then the girl would clap, and reverse the orientation
of the hands. Then both hands would face upwards, then outwards, etc.
The facing girl had to do the reverse motion so they could pat each
other's hands. Each pat was in time to the chanted rhyme.

The rhymes were nonsense verses, chanted in a singsong voice." 
-snip-
That commenter also shared another variant, but because that example doesn't 
include the words "two lips", "tulips", or "the spade goes", I'm not adding it to this
compilation.
**
Example #10
"The spades go two lips together
Tie them forever
Bring back my love to me.
What is the meaning of this?
For all the fellows I've kissed
They tell the story
the story of l-o-v-e.
-DebbieO_ (from memories of childhood in near Boston, Mass. in the 1970s); http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=81350 I'm Rubber . You're Glue: Children's Rhymes; December 29, 2006

**
Example #11
"
I remember parts of this song:

The spades go two lips together
tie them together
bring back my love to me.

What is the me-ee-eening
of all these flow-er-er-ers
they tel the sto-or-or-y,
the story of love,
from me to you.

I saw the ship sail away,
it sailed three years and a day,
my love is far far away,
and I love him so, oh yes I do.

My heart goes bump ba de dump bump,
bump ba de dump bump,
over my love for you.

You are my one and only,
I love you passionately,
Source: Guest, susan; http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=81350 I'm Rubber . You're Glue: Children's Rhymes, 19 Jul 10 

**
Example #12
"My recollection of The Spades Go is from Harlem on West 144th between 7th and Lenox and Hoe Avenue, the South Bronx, ( the two places I played, home and at my grandparents') circa 1960. From the clapping games where your palms were placed on another's, and according to the rhyme chanted you either slapped your partners palms or clapped your own between in syncopation, switching whose palms were on top or bottom as another part of the performance:

The Spades go (hold hands and swing)
Two lips together (slap clap slap [switch] slap [switch] slap)
Twilight forever (slap clap slap [switch] slap [switch] slap)
Bring back my love to me ( slap clap slap [switch] slap [switch] slap [switch]slap)
What is the Me-e-ea –ning ( hold hands, swing. slap clap slap [switch] slap,[switch] slap [switch] slap)
of all these Flo-ow-ow –wers ( hold hands, swing. slap clap slap [switch] slap,[switch] slap [switch] slap)
They tell the Sto-or-ory ( hold hands, swing. slap clap slap [switch] slap,[switch] slap [switch] slap)
The story of l-o and v-e (hold hands, swing. slap clap slap [switch] slap [switch] slap)
l-o and v-e (slap clap slap [switch] slap [switch] slap)
l-o and v-e (slap clap slap [switch] slap [switch] slap)
love cha, cha cha (slap , swing, swing, swing)
-Akua Lezli Hope, January 15, 2016, http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-real-meaning-of-spades-go-space-go.html [comments]

**
Example #13 
"
I was born in 1948 and grew up in Maplewood NJ. I am white and Jewish. Anyway, we played the hand clapping game The Spades. There was no racial means to it then. We had two verses, one beginning The spades go two lips together and the other My heart goes thumping thump thump. I remember very clearly walking by myself to schoo at the age of ten and making up a third verse:Oh tell me where is my lover, where is my lover,bring back my love to me. I saw a ship sail away.My love is far far away. I’ll wait ten years and a day. I love him true oh yes I do. I taught it to the other girls and three years later I heard it in summer camp in Massachusetts. I swear this is true. I still make up songs and parodies all the time. I guess things have to start somewhere. Thought you might be interested."
-
Nancy, July 28, 2019,  http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-real-meaning-of-spades-go-space-go.html [comments]

**
Example #14
"I grew up in western Canada and we said “they say that two lips together, tie them together, bring back my love to me, etc..."
-Unknown, April 12, 2020, http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-real-meaning-of-spades-go-space-go.html [comments]

**
[Examples Added at 12:00 AM, Oct 27, 2020...Thanks Google Search!]

Each of these examples are from https://groups.google.com/g/alt.culture.us.1970s/c/TCixj0KBboM [contributors Contributors names on that site are given with an email address which I deleted. The numbers continue from above.]


Example #15
"I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! I HAVE BEEN SCOURING THE INTERNET LOOKING FOR ONE PERSON THAT CAN REMEMBER THIS!!! YESSSSS! I CAN DO THE WHOLE HAND CLAPPING WITH MY SISTER TO THIS & I IS THE BEST ONE! OK...SOME OF THE WORDS MAYBE OFF....BUT HERE WE GO:

For spades go (start holding hands and swinging them 4 times)

Tulips together, twilight in heaven

bring back my love to me

what is the me- me - meaning

of all the flow ow ow flowers

it tells the store or or ry

the story of love from me to you

when we get mar ah ah arried

where shall we li i i i ive

in Sunny spai ai ai ain

or gay par ri ri ri ri ri ri?

our hearts go boom body boom boom (hands in fists bumping on top of each other)

boom body boom boom

over the love for you!

I love you eternally (now you slap pinkies softly)

our love is special indeed

and thats the store or or ry

the story of

L.....O......V......E.... (now you clap loudly palms up then down)

Love from me to you! CHA CHA CHA! (end with hi-fi'ing loudly)
-pcarb...-2/10/14

**
Example #5
"This the version of tulips together I was taught by my mother:

 The spades goes

Tulips together, tie them together

bring back my love to me

what is the me- me - me meaning

of all these flow ow ow owers

They tell the store or or ory

The story of love from me to you

 

The Ship sailed over the ocean

over the ocean

over the big blue sea

 

It sailed for many a day

it sailed for hours away

 

This is our store or or ory

Our story of love from me to you! CHA CHA CHA!"
-rach..., 3/15/15

**
Example #16
"Oh there are two lips together tied up forever so they will never part

What is the meaning, meaning

Of all these flowers, flowers

They tell a story, story

The story of my love to you from me

My heart goes thumpitty, thump thump, thumpitty, thump thump

Over my love for you

My lips go tinkitty, tink tink, tinkitty, tink tink

Over my love for you"
-alp.., 3/3/17

**
Example #17
"Spades was always my favorite. Online, I cannot find the version we did, which is similar to the others, but different.

The spades go

Two lips together

Tie them forever

Bring back my love to me

What is the Me he ha ning

Of all these flo ha ha wers

This is my sto ho hory

My story of love

From me to you.

 

My heart goes

thumpatity thump thump

thumpatity thump thump

Over the site of you

You are my one and only

I love you per son ally

This is my sto ho hory

My story of love

From me to you.

 

My eyes go

blinkety blink blink

blinkety blink blink

Over the sight of you

You are my one and only

I love you per son ally

This is my sto ho hory

My story of love

From me to you.

Cha cha cha
-lapi.., 3/14/18

 **
Example #18
"
On Wednesday, April 7, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Sandyfour wrote:

... Anyone remember Tulips together (a hand

clapping song)?? I remember the begining starting "tulips together...tie them

 together (I think)...bring back my love to me". Thats as far as I get!

 Sandy

 

"What is the meaning,

Of all these flowers

They tell the story

The story of love

From me to you

 

When we get married

Where shall we live

In sunny Spain

Or Gay Pari(s)

Wee Wee Wee Wee (clap, clap, clap)
- d.mo..., 3/19/18

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

24 comments:

  1. We had a more cynical version in upper grade school. We (all girls) would stand in a circle. The additional and ending verse was
    “We’ll have children of course (of course) and then we’ll get a divorce (divorce) and then we’ll marry again. So sorry this is the end oui oui cha cha cha! This was in Tulsa in the 1960s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thanks for sharing that information about an ending for this rhyme from Tulsa, Oklahoma in the 1960s.

      For clarification's sake, was was the beginning of that rhyme?

      Delete
  2. I grew up in Kansas City in the early 1950s. We clapped to:
    In Spain it's
    Two lips together
    Twilight forever
    Bring back my love to me
    What is the mee ee ee eening
    Of all of these flow ow ow owers?
    They tell the sto oh oh oh ree
    Of true love
    From me to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous for sharing that version of this rhyme, where & when you chanted it, and that you performed it while doing hand claps.

      Best wishes!

      Delete
  3. I remember playing this game in the first grade, Levittown NY, 1960
    The spades go tulips together, my loves in heaven, bring back my love to me
    What is the meaning of all the flowers, they tell a story, a story of love from me to you
    I got a new car, it was shiny red
    It tipped over, my husband dropped dead, from me to you chachacha
    I can’t believe I remember this…. It was all sung to very sophisticated clapping games… so of the girls were amazing and never missed a beat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thanks for sharing your memories of this rhyme and thanks for including demographic information.

      It's interesting what things we remember from our childhood, isn't it?

      Best wishes!

      Delete
  4. The version I learned (white, Long Beach NY, circa 1970), the hand slap/clap motions were slap clap slap clap [switch] slap (repeat), which got substituted by fist bumps over the words, "boom bah di yump bump, boom bah di yump bump", first two (index and middle) fingers sliding on the words, "tit-tatty-tit tat, tit-tatty-tit tat", index fingers tapping each other on the words "click clacky click clack, click clacky click clack", and fingers tapping one's forearm over the words "you get a spanking, you get a spanking".
    The rhyme I learned was called "The Ace of Spades" and it went

    The spades go tulips together, twilights forever, bring back my love to me
    What is the me-e-e-e meaning of all the flow-ow-ow-ow flowers
    They tell the sto-o-o-o story
    The story of l-o-o-v-e, l-o-o-v-e, l-o-o-v-e love.
    My heart goes boom bah di yump bump, boom bah di yump bump over the love of you
    My tears go tit-tatty-tit tat, tit-tatty-tit tat over the love of you
    My sticks go click clacky click clack, click clacky click clack over the love of you.
    The boys say, "Go break a window, go break a window" over the love of you
    The girls say, "Why did you do it for, why did you do it for", over the love of you
    The boys say, "To get a spanking, to get a spanking" over the love of you
    The mothers say "You get a spanking, you get a spanking" over the love of you
    The fathers say "Go out and play now, go out and play now" over the love of you.
    The spades go tulips together, twilights forever, bring back my love to me [freeze sequence]

    The freeze sequence rhyme we used for this was
    Criss cross, applesauce, siddery cider, freeze with the arm motions
    Cross one hand to opposite shoulder, cross the other hand to opposite shoulder, place the fist of the first hand on one's waist, place the fist of the second hand on one's waist, place the first hand on the opposite knee, place the second hand on the opposite knee, rapidly remove both hands and freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thank you for sharing the example of "The Ace Of Spades" along with demographic information (who, where, and when) and how this rhyme was performed.

      I really appreciate it for the folkloric record and I'm wondering if you have any information about whether anyone nowadays still perform this rhyme.

      Best wishes!

      Delete
  5. I think this is probably a combination of different rhymes, but this is how we said it. This was white kids on Long Island (Garden City) in the late 50s, maybe very early 60s. At the time, I had no idea what "spades" meant.

    The spades go tulips together
    Tie them together
    Bring back my love to me.
    What is this thi-ing called love?
    I do not kno-ow my love
    It is the sto-ory of
    The story of
    Itsy bitsy, teeny-weeny
    Abobobolini
    Hopscotch, dominoch
    There goes Liberach
    Let's get the rhythm of the hands
    Two-three-four
    Let's get the rhythm of the opposite countries
    Czechoslovakia
    Boom steady boom
    Yugoslavia
    Boom steady boom
    Let's get the rhythm of the opposite numbers
    2, 4, 6, 8
    Who do we appreciate?
    When I get mad, I get frisky
    When I get frisky, I drink whisky
    When I drink whisky, I fall down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thanks for sharing your memory of this version of the "Two Lips" rhyme and thanks for adding demographic information. Your example is the second oldest one that I've come across (The oldest on that I've read was shared in this comment section by Anonymous September 21, 2022 at 11:40 AM from Kansas City in the early 1950s.).

      Here's the beginning lines for the versions of several independent rhymes that were combined to make your example:
      1. The spades go tulips together ["The Spades" is a referent for Black people. As you mentioned) children may not have known what that word meant.]

      2. Itsy bitsy, teeny-weeny [from "eeny meenie ipsoleenie" rhymes

      3. Let's get the rhythm of the hands [from "Down Down Baby rhymes"

      4. "2, 4, 6, 8/Who do we appreciate?"

      I don't recognize the "When I get mad, I get frisky" rhyme, but I like that it helps explain and ends with the "I fall down" action.

      Thanks again!


      Delete

  6. My siblings and I were talking late last night and somehow got onto clapping rhymes. We remembered one we learned in the late sixties and early seventies in East Aurora, a suburb of Buffalo, NY. It’s different than any others I’ve found google searching this morning, but similar in some places:

    The spades go
    Two lights together
    Twilight forever
    Bring back my love to me

    What is the meaning, my love
    I don’t know, my love
    This is the sto-ory of
    The story of:

    Eenie meanie
    Chacha cheenie
    Ooh la
    Batcha beenie
    Ooh la
    Double atchie
    There goes Liberace!

    The first part had vertical, then diagonal cross clapping, but the second was just patty cake as fast as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thanks to you and your siblings for remembering this version of "two lips together" . Thanks also for including demographic information (where and when you remembering chanting this rhyme) and performance information.

      best wishes!

      Delete
    2. One more demographic note, we moved to Aurora, Colorado, a fast-growing suburb of Denver, in 1974. We taught the song to our schoolmates since no one knew it yet.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing that information, Anonymous. To add to that information, I'm interested in your race/ethnicity and the race/ethnicity/ies of children who played this hand clap game with in both cities.
      Also, was the "the spades go" words chanted from rote memory, or did those words mean something to you and your friends?

      Delete
    4. We are white, of German/Irish heritage and were Catholic in a Catholic community in Buffalo.we were not from there originally. Our parents were from Albuquerque and Southern Illinois. In Denver we were no longer Catholic and the community was mostly white with some African Americans and no particular religious identity that I was aware of.

      The reason I looked up the song, and found this conversation, is because it suddenly occurred to me as we sang it, 40-some years later, that the word “spade” might not be nice. It had never occurred to us. When I thought about it at all, I wondered what playing cards had to do with it, but the rest of the song was nonsensical too. I don’t remember knowing any black people at the time we learned the song.

      Delete
    5. Thanks, Anonymous for sharing those memories here on pancocojams.

      As I've noted in this post, I don't think that most children who chanted this rhyme with the words "the spades go" knew the history of the word "spade" being used as a referent for Black people and that referent is rarely used now and I don't consider it a slur when I come across it in children's rhymes.

      For more information about the words "the spades goes" or "the space goes" in children's rhymes, click this link for the pancocojams post entitled "The REAL Meanings Of "The Spades Go" & "The Space Go" In Playground Rhymes
      http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-real-meaning-of-spades-go-space-go.html

      Thanks again.

      Best wishes!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, I had no idea it was the SPADES go! The version I knew (from early 1990s Manhattan, very multiracial Catholic School) was with a lot was a hand holding/swinging and clapping game (often played with more than 3 people) that went:

    "the space goes, two times together i like the weather, bring back my love to me.
    What is the me-ee-ee-eeaning of all the flo-ow-ooowers
    that tell the sto-oo-oory
    the story of:
    L for lover boy
    O for other Boy
    V for victory,
    E for enemy -

    we had a fa-aa-aamily car
    it was red and shi-iii-ny
    my mother went i-i-i-in it and she dropped dead!
    we had a fu--uu-uu-neral
    it was very saa-aa-aaad
    when it was oo-oo-oover
    i was very glad

    ...I wish I remember the rest! Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Anonymous. You're welcome and thank you for adding this version of this rhyme with demographic information to the folkloric record.

      So there's more to this version?! I didn't know that.

      Hopefully, someone will happen upon this post and add additional verses that they remember :o)

      Thanks again!!

      Delete
    2. I meant to add that I still think that "the space goes" is a folk processed version of the words "the spades go" (meaning "This is the way that Black people say & do this rhyme"). I believe that's the case because the words "the space goes" doesn't make any sense.

      Delete
  8. I was just remembering this as an absurd song from my elementary school years and decided to search, found this very enlightening thread. I remember it from the an Orthodox Jewish school in Queens, NY in the early 80s. It makes sense that the parts about love would have been toned down as it spread through our very prudish school. But anyway, the whole thing makes no sense. Still, it had interesting hand motions so it was pretty popular.
    The words as I remember:
    The space goes
    Two laps together
    Twilights forever
    Bring back my love to me!
    What is the mea-ea-ea-ea-ea-ning
    Of all the flo-o-o-o-owers
    They look so pre-e-e-e-etty
    They tell the sto-o-o-o-ory
    The story of
    E-el Oh Vee Ee (x4) Love!
    My heart goes
    Bumpetty bump bump (x3) bump!
    My sticks go
    Stick statty stick stack (x3) stack!
    My pinkies go
    Pink patty pink pank (x3) pank!
    My guns go
    Pee-ee O W (x3) POW!
    I don't remember the motions except that we bumped balled fists for "bumpetty bump bump", index fingers for "stick statty..." pinkies for "pink patty .." and shaped our fingers like guns for the last part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thanks for adding the version of this rhyme that you remember for the folkloric record. Thanks also for including demographic information and your memory of some of the motions that accompanied the words chanted.

      This example documents how the exact meanings of the words for children's rhymes often are far less important than the motions and correctly saying the words that you learned even if they don't make any sense.

      Best wishes.

      Delete
  9. Here's a version of "Two Lips" ("Tulips") also known as "The Spades Go" that was sent to my email address on January 6, 2024 by Jen. Thanks for that version, Jen and thanks for including demographic information.

    "Great to find you, I have a different version of the children’s hand slap rhyme then I seen mentioned (to my surprise!) the version I sang in the early 90’s in Somerville, Massachusetts is:

    “The spades go two ways together tied up forever bring back my love to me
    what is the meaning of this
    of all the flowwwwers and gifts
    tell me the stoooooory of L -O -V- E
    my boyfriend bought a new car
    he painted it red with a star
    he got in an accccccident now he’s dead oh yes he’s dead
    we bring him flowwwwwers on april showwwwers we like him better undressed oh yes undressed”🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

    I was very surprised by tulips and twilights and no dead boyfriends lol."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen mentioned that she wasn't able to publish this example of this blog. My apologies to her and anyone else having that difficulty. I don't know what to do about that, but please email me any examples/comments if you have that problem. azizi p 17 at yahoo dot com.

      Delete
    2. Jen's example is the only rhyme that I've ever come across that includes mention of a boyfriend (or anyone else) dying in a car accident.

      Thanks again, Jen, for adding this rhyme to the folkloric record!

      Delete