Translate

Saturday, June 20, 2020

(Jamaican Reggae Singer) Lila Iké - "Where I'm Coming From" (Information, Official YouTube Video, & Lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series about Jamaican Reggae singer Lila Iké's song "Where I'm Coming From".

Part I presents an excerpt from a July 2019 Billboard  article about Lila Iké and that song.
This post also showcases the official YouTube video of  "Where I'm Coming From" and includes the lyrics for that song.

Click 
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/06/jamaican-patois-in-comments-from.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II showcases the official YouTube video for Lila Iké's song "Where I'm Coming From". Part II also presents some examples of comments that include Jamaican Patois or other Caribbean Patois (or what appears to me as a non-West Indian to be Jamaican Patois or other Caribbean Patois.)

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-global-reach-of-jamaican-reggae.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. Part III showcases the official YouTube video for Lila Iké's and her song "Where I'm Coming From" and presents some examples of comments that are posted to the discussion thread of that song's official video by people who aren't from the Caribbean.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Lila Iké for her music and thanks to all those who are associated with this music and this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks to Lila Iké for sharing her music on YouTube.

****

INFORMATION ABOUT LILA IKE
From https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8518949/lila-ike-where-im-coming-from-video-exclusive#:~:text=Lila%20can%20write%2C%20she%20can,meaning%20the%20Power%20of%20God. Lila Ike Shows Her Life's Journey In "Where I'm Coming From ' Video Premiere
7/9/2019 by Patricia Meshino

"In the video for her current single "Where I'm Coming From," singer Lila Iké returns to her rural roots, the Christiana area of Manchester parish, located in south-central Jamaica. Throughout the 4:32 clip, family, life-long friends and a wider community surround Lila, who has in the past few years emerged from her small-town background to become one of Jamaica's most buzzed about young talents. The video was shot at her family home, the bar/shop her mother owns and even a small room she once rented; those segments are juxtaposed with footage of Lila singing at her high school graduation.


"Every scene in the video shows a specific era of my journey because I want people to know who I really am. Everyone in the video has known me since I was a baby, they know I was raised by a single mom, and the struggles she's been through; when we filmed in the bus park where my mother's bar is located or at the (outdoor) market, I was shocked to see how many people showed up and were genuinely happy for me," Lila told Billboard during a recent visit to New York City. "The video's flashy scenes, where I am wearing a (faux) fur, a suit and pulling up in a jeep shows people that you can be poor, come from a small town and still find success."
The driver of the open-air jeep in the video is also the person primarily responsible for the attention her captivating, soulful vocals are receiving: her mentor Protoje. A 2019 best reggae album Grammy nominee for A Matter of Time (In.Digg.Nation Collective/Easy Star Records), Protoje has become a marquee name in contemporary Jamaican music, playing The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and influencing numerous artists, including Koffee (he appears in her "Toast" video) and Chronixx, with whom he has collaborated on several singles. 
[...]
Lila Iké was born Alecia Grey, the second oldest of four sisters; she chose the name Lila, which means blooming flower, and Iké, a Yoruba word meaning the Power of God. Her mother, an avid music fan, played an assortment of genres at home: reggae, country and western, R&B, gospel and jazz, which was significant in shaping the vocal versatility that characterizes Lila's traditional reggae sound with a glistening modern edge."....

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO - Lila Iké - Where I'm Coming From (Official Video)

Lila Iké, July 9, 2019

****
LYRICS- WHERE I'M COMING FROM
(composer: Lila Iké)




[Verse 2]
Mek mi tell you bout the life of a queen inna this yah concrete jungle
Firm inna regime so you nah go see mi stumble
Mama say nuh come a town an' mix wit 
dutty bungle

See't deh now mi jus a rise and so mi rise a so mi humble
Outta Christiana yes mi lef go look fi mine
Neva sell mi soul, mi settle down and tek mi time
Do it for the love so naturally the light a shine
Now mi realize its by design



[Verse 3]
Heights of great men, reach and kept

Memba when you go deh so you nuh fi ever lef'
Morewhile you have fi toil, you might a crush up like a foil
Still you betta gwan burn the midnight oilIt won't be an easy road
But anytime mi overcome the pressure yeah it free me soul
Cause Jah will never give me more than I can bear.
So tell mi wah me really haffi fear






Lyric Source:  https://genius.com/Lila-ike-where-im-coming-from-lyrics
Here's some information that was also posted to that Genius.com lyric page:
Shaum, 2019
"Where I’m Coming From is Lila’s 4th single, following on the success of Second Chance, Gotti Gotti, and Biggest Fan. The music video was released on July 9th [2019], and is directed by Nickii Kane and Lila herself, and shot by the Yannick Reid."
****
This concludes Part I of this three part pancocojams series on Lila Iké - "Where I'm Coming From" song & video.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment