Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Zambian Hip Hop Artist Sampa The Great - "Final Form"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series about Sampa the Great's song "Final Form".

Part I showcases the official Sampa the Great's official YouTube music video for "Final Form" and includes the lyrics to that song. [Hip Hop composition]

WARNING: This song includes two curse words. Amended spelling is used for those words in this post.

An article about Sampa The Great's song "Final Form" is also included in this post.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/06/selected-comments-from-youtube.html for Part II of this series. Part II presents selected comments from the discussion thread of the official Sampa the Great's official YouTube music video for "Final Form".

This content is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owner.

Thanks to Sampa the Great for her musical legacy. Thanks to the producer of this video, and thanks to all those who are featured in this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT SAMPA THE GREAT
From https://genius.com/artists/Sampa-the-great
"Sampa the Great (Sampa Tembo) is a poet and singer-songwriter. Expressing herself through music, poetry and visual art, Sampa captures listeners with thought provoking words, while encouraging people to enjoy the simplicity of creativity.

Sampa The Great hails from Africa, the motherland. Born in Zambia, she was then raised in Botswana when her family decided to move there when she was young. Music was immersed within her family life and at the age of 22, Sampa left home and moved to Australia to further her musical studies. Sampa views music as the language of the soul, transcending borders and acting as an agent for positive change. Separating from her peers in Botswana, moving away from her family as well as her upbringing all inform her lyrics.

Sampa has a penchant for poetry and weaves lyrical mazes with her verses, drawing listeners into a lush, imaginative world. Her music bonds from spoken-word to pure hip-hop rapping, with stops at psychedelic and blues along the way; it’s the sound of an adventurous young mind pushing out against all boundaries."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO:Sampa The Great- Final Form



Sampa The Great, Published on Jun 5, 2019

[...]

Produced by S I L E N T J A Y

Written by Sampa Tembo and Alejandro John Abapo
-snip-
Statistics for this video as of June 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM
Total number of views - 135,651
Total number of likes - 14,000
Total number of dislikes - 71
Total number of comments- 717

****
SONG LYRICS - FINAL FORM

The lace lady
Travel with grace baby
I can’t afford to cover the costs of course maybe
Settle that one in court ‘cos
Judging by the basics
Y’all already comfortable stuck up in the matrix
Sh&t* is basic
Past credentials
But understand your favourite rapper peep my goat potential

I’m not ashamed
Been passive
Trying to fit a circle cos I don’t know how to act shit
Half of y’all is steady insecure don’t try to backflip
Just because the seasoning of flow is already active
Only four years
Fantastic
Young veteran
New classic
Nah knock the walls off
F&&k* the whole key we gonna hinge the whole door off
I’m still A.D never forget it
It’s life after death
Role the credits

Chorus

I hate to say my feelings for you still exist

Verse 2
Credit my maker take a trip to see Jamaica
Marley spirit with the paper back to Zion that’s the nature
Africa the new America
I hope her role is permanent
And this I put my pen in it
Got my land and my permit with it
Bone of my bone
Flesh of my flesh
Greatness in me you can’t make me feel less

Less hold
I’m not impressed
Best mode
Got my Afro like an empress

Chorus
Great state I’m in
In all states I’m in
I might final form
In my melanin
*4

Black power
Louder
*4

Verse 3
Last name Tembo
First name Eve
Somebody ate the fruit they told The Great to never eat

I’m dripping
DNA steeze
It’s like I’m
Born great
I’d be mad too geeze
Third world win it
1st world outdated
No mentor all my heroes assassinated

We’ve
Been here
Reincarnated
‘Tryna finish what they started and we made it

Chorus
Great state I’m in
In all states I’m in
I might final form
In my melanin
*4

Black power
Louder
*4
-snip-
Lyrics from https://genius.com/Sampa-the-great-final-form-lyrics

*These words are fully spelled out in these lyrics.

****
ARTICLE ABOUT SAMPA THE GREAT'S SONG "FINAL FORM"
From https://www.okayafrica.com/zambian-artist-sampa-the-great-returns-with-stunning-new-song-and-video-final-form/ Sampa The Great Returns With Stunning New Song and Video 'Final Form'
PREMIERE: Zambian artist Sampa The Great shares a soulful new banger.
Sampa The Great is back with her first single of the year, the hard-hitting "Final Form."

"On "Final Form" the artist rhymes fiercely over grand production, offering soulful '70s funk vibes and a message of black power. "Great state I'm in, in all states I'm in, I might final form in my melanin," she declares confidently on the song's chorus.

The vibrant music video was shot in Zambia and Botswana, where Sampa was born and raised, respectively. The striking visual features dancers performing on the street and in the market and tons of colorful ambiance. Sampa serves up a number of bold looks as she performs the song in multiple settings throughout the two countries.

"It's easy to get caught up in the constant chatter around you about how 'you are not there yet', how you 'might not make it" the artist tells OkayAfrica about the new track. "Final Form' is about expanding yourself and calling out any negativity towards that growth process. As an artist I now recognise my in-between stage; sometimes it drops and sometimes it rises, but I love that I get to level up each second. I might even final form tomorrow*," she adds.

"Final Form" is the artists latest single since last year's impressive "Energy," described as an "ode to feminine energy." She released the mixtape "Birds and the BEE9" in 2017."
-snip-
"I might even final form tomorrow" means that "I might reach (or achieve) [my] final form tomorrow (i.e. final stage in the creativity growth process).

****
This concludes Part I of this two part pancocojams post.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment