Translate

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Comments About Wigs Being Snatched (From The YouTube Discussion Thread Of Todrick Hall's Video "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels")

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest Revision: June 11, 2021 (title change & additional comments from 2019) 

This is Part III of a four part pancocojams series on Todrick Hall's "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" song and video.

This post provides a definition of the phrase "wigs snatched" in Gay cultures, and presents some examples of comments from the discussion thread for Todrick Hall's song ""Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" that refer to "wigs being snatched".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/06/todrick-hall-nails-hair-hips-heels.html for Part I of this series. Part I presents an excerpt of an interview with Todrick Hall and showcases the official YouTube video of "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels". Selected general comments from the discussion thread for this video are also included in this post along with a link to this song's lyrics and a link to another video published by Todrick Hall entitled "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels - Behind The Scenes".

WARNING: This song contains profanity and other language that may be considered inappropriate for children.

Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nJgsNllTM for a clean audio version of this video.  

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/06/online-definitions-of-article-excerpts.html for Part II of this series. Part II presents online definitions of, article excerpts, & comments about some of the gay lingo that is found in Todrick Hall's song "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels".

**
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/06/examples-of-internet-jokes-question-how.html for Part IV of this pancocojams series. Part IV presents some examples of the "Question - How many ___? Answer - Yes" jokes from the discussion thread for the official music video for Todrick Hall's "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels". Some comments that are part of these exchanges are also included in this post.

****
The content of this post is provided for cultural and entertainment purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Todrick Hall and all those who are associated with this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/06/what-she-snatched-my-edges-and-her.html for the closely related pancocojams post entitled "What "She Snatched My Edges" And "Her Edges Are Snatches" REALLY Mean."

****
DRAG CULTURE'S MEANING OF THE PHRASE "WIGS SNATCHED" (and similar phrases*)
From https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wig%20Snatching
"Wig Snatching
A term used mainly by gay men and women to express extreme happiness or excitement when their diva has done something amazing, shocking, or gives life by any means

See also wig scalped
"BeyoncΓ© out here wig snatching with that Bowl Performance!"

"Did you see how Mariah came for Demi Lovato on Watch What Happens Live? I died! Wig snatched."

#wig#wig snatched#wig snatching#scalped#i live#gives life
by User_nombre April 15, 2017"
-snip-
*Similar phrases include "weave snatched" and "edges snatched".

The American slang word "snatched" is used as a verb or as an adjective.
Verb:  She snatched my wig.

Adjective. Her wig is snatched.  

Here's an entry from urban dictionary about the adjectival form of the slang term "snatched"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snatched

snatched

Used to take the place of 'on fleek', 'perfect', 'on point' or 'fashionable'.

Girl your outfit is snatched. Your make-up snatched huny. They just hatin cause im always snatched.

by plumcoco January 31, 2016

This post refers to the verb form of the slang word "snatched".

My guess is that the verb form of "snatched" came before the adjective form. I also think that the phrases "snatched my weave" and "snatched my wig" were used before the phrase "snatched my edges".

It seems to me that the verb form "snatched my edges" or snatched my wigs or snatched my weaves" and the adjective form "snatched" aren't used as much now (2021) in African American Vernacular English. This may be a result of the fact that those terms began to be used by mainstream (i.e. "White") American culture in 2018 and 2019. (African Americans often move on to new venacular terms when White Americans start using vernacular terms that we [African Americans] adapted or created.) 

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR TODRICK HALL'S "NAILS, HAIR, HIPS, HEELS"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ04gPb4LlY
Numbers are added for referencing purposes only. 

All of these comments are from 2019

1. Miguel PΓ©rez
"Literally NASA is developing a space program to recover my wig"

**
REPLY
2. Kenyan Bunnie
"Miguel PΓ©rez Can you give them a memo from me? My 4c curls might be on their way to Wakanda right now."
-snip-
"4c" = refers to one of the categories of hair texture that mostly refers to Black people's hair. https://www.curlcentric.com/hair-typing-system/

**
REPLY
3. xnono 95
"Could they recover mine too?"

**
REPLY
4. Cat Tricks
"I'd ask you to get mine too, but it would be kind of sad for Saturn to be without rings tbh"

**
REPLY
5. Harriet B
"Omg comment of the year goes to you πŸ†I'm doonnnneeee!! Lmfho"

**
REPLY
6. IcyExclipse
"Grab mine while you’re at it"

**
REPLY
7. Romane Knight
"THIS COMMENT..... I'M deaddd!!"

**
REPLY
8. Daeyoung Ha
"This comment. Yass"

**
REPLY
9. Azizah Ishak
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHA!!!"

**
REPLY
10. G Reacts
"LMAO I LOVE YOU BRUH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

**
REPLY
11. Healthy Life, Happy Wife
"🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣"

**
REPLY
12. I have no creative username ideas.
"They were going to do that for me, but it flew too close to the sun and burned to a crisp."

**
REPLY
13. Markoh Cruz
"Wig snatched to the outer space YASSSSSSS!!!!"

**
REPLY
14. Andy Archer
"Yes!"

**
REPLY
15. Spartacus Ani
"Dead. This my ghost typing πŸ˜‚πŸ€£"

**
REPLY
16. Innocent OMEI
"BEYOND dead."

**
REPLY
17. Random Creative Taco 》!-//《
"I wish I thought of this but I don't have that kind of creative mind"

**
REPLY
18. Miguel PΓ©rez
"Random Creative Taco 》!-//《 it was a bit of luck. Before I watched this I was watching a video where NASA explained that they had plans to go to the moon again (2020-2025 I think) and then I just linked this video with the NASA thing 🀷🏽‍♂️πŸ˜…"

**
REPLY
19. AaronEmeliano
"My wig is past andromeda now"

**
REPLY
20. Danish
"Miguel PΓ©rez best thing ever HAHAHA"

**
REPLY
21. Josy Ct
"🀣IM WHEEZING 😭🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣"

**
REPLY
22. themadusacascadeguy
"Breaking news:
Reports of wigs and edges launching into the atmosphere all around the world has suddenly escalated at an alarming rate. We'll keep you updayed"

**
REPLY
23. Amelia Rae
"You can see my weave in orbit"

**
24. 10,000 subscribers with no vids?
"I paid good money for my wig and I want a refund."

**
25. upchuckles
""Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it" - Galadriel when asked about the whereabouts of her wig after seeing this."

**
26. Jazmine
"Hunty I just grew my edges back why did you snatch them back off Todrick? Lmbooo"

**
27. Andy Archer
"I was about to throw shade and hit the dislike. BUT THEN STARTED DANCING AND HAD TO SLIP MY WIG BACK ON AND TAKE SEVERAL SEATS!"

**
28. Andre Voges
"The gays anthem for June. Happy pride month....go snatch some wigs"

**
29. Queen GrimmZin
"I need to buy a wig just to take it off. I found this by accident."

**
30. bubbles
"who wanna join the search party for my weave because it has been sNATCHED and LOST"
-snip-
This is how this comment was written in that discussion thread.

**
31. nursinggirl 1219
"this is the LGBT national anthem wig FLEWWWWW whew"

**
32. G
"The summer anthem we needed. My wig has been snatched. Thank you for this beat Todrick❤️πŸŒˆπŸ’“✨"

**
33. Hannah Dudley
"Viewer: my wig can't be snatched. All these YouTubers are no fun


Todrick: hold my heels"

**
34. Broken Doorbell
"I went out and bought a wig for them to snatch"

**
35. Ken Kaneki
"My wig has been sent back in time so that it never existed"

**
36. Mustache Baby
"Mind?Shook
Wig?Snatched
Hotel?Trivago"

**
37. Kristen Huck
"Producers: how many wigs do you want snatched?

 

Todrick: yes"

**
REPLY
38. AntariRoyale
"Mr. Clean - E X A C T L Y"

**
39. zevenix
"RUPAUL WAS FOUND WIGLESS IN THE CORNER OF TACO BELL"
-snip-
This comment is written in bold font in that discussion thread.

**
Reply
40. Coley Moley
"Underrated comment πŸ’™πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…"

**
Reply
41. 
Anjail Robinson
"
BwahahahHa 🀣🀣🀣🀣"

**
Reply
42. 
Ioannis
"
ugh stop comparing people already. it's toxic"

**
Reply
43. 
josh plunkett
"
I laughed way to hard at this! Well played!"

**
Reply
44. 
Delt∆Sa√es
"
The best part is it's in a Taco Bell of all places."

**
Reply
45. 
fjordsi
"
@Delt∆Sa√es  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
Reply
46. 
Coley Moley
"
 @Ioannis  who were they comparing???"

**
Reply
47. 
zevenix
"
 @Ioannis  it's a joke calm down..."

**
Reply
48. 
monikaaa ceee
"
Not in the corner of taco bell πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
Reply
49. I'M GoneWithTheWind! FABULOUS!!
"
zevenix RAPUNZEL WAS FOUND BALD NEAR NEPTUNE"

**
Reply
50. 
Sophie J.
"
 @Ioannis  I wouldnt say it's comparing, when you say wig snatched it's not comparing you to them, it's about been shooketh."

**
Reply
51. 
Danielle
"
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚"

**
Reply
52. 
Userface4
"🀣🀣🀣 DYING"

**
Reply
53. Konstancja
"When I read this I was laughing so hardπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
Reply
54. 
Miguel SchΓ€fer
" @Ioannis  Your comment is the real toxic one. No one here is comparing no other and nothing is being done maliciously. Enjoy life a little and don't take things so seriously or you'll become a damn Mary Poppins."

**
Reply
55. Golden Grande
"But...isn’t Rupaul bald?"

**
Reply
56. Zoe Clay
"i love you so mochi he’s bald yes, but he has millions of wigs πŸ˜‚"

 ****

This concludes Part III of this four part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment