Translate

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Three YouTube Examples Of The Gospel Song "I Feel Good"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part III of a three part pancocojams series on the lining out hymn/Gospel song "I Feel Good". This religious song is also known as "I Feel Good Good Good".

Part III of this series showcases three videos of Gospel renditions of "I Feel Good".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/11/together-as-one-hymn-choir-i-feel-good.html for Part I of this series. Part I presents information about African American lining out hymns and showcases a video filmed in 2002 of a lining out version of "I Feel Good". My partial transcription of that song is included in this post. Additions and corrections are welcome.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-canton-spirituals-i-feel-good-with.html for Part II of this series. Part II of this series showcases a sound file of "I Feel Good" and presents several text examples of lyrics for Gospel versions of that song.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composers of this song and thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the choirs that are featured in this post and thanks to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
I don't know when the religious song "I Feel Good" was first sung or recorded. However, based on comments that are found in video/sound file summaries or discussion threads for this song, "I Feel Good" is an old Black (African American) Gospel song.

My guess is that the oldest styles of singing "I Feel Good" are like the lining out example that is showcased in Part I of this series and the Gospel style that is showcased as Example #3 below.

Notice that Example #2 below includes lyrics from James Brown's 1965 mega-hit R&B record "I Got You" ("I Feel Good").

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Got_You_(I_Feel_Good), " 'I Got You (I Feel Good)'" developed from an earlier Brown-penned song, "I Found You", with a nearly identical melody and lyrics. "I Found You" had been recorded by Brown's back-up singer Yvonne Fair and released as a single (King 5594) in 1962, with little success.[1][2]

In 1964, Brown recorded an early version of "I Got You (I Feel Good)" with a different arrangement, including a stuttering rhythm and prominent baritone sax line, under the title "I Got You". This version appeared on the Smash Records album Out of Sight and in the 1965 film Ski Party, in which Brown lip synchs his performance. It was intended for a single release but was withdrawn due to a court order from King Records, with whom Brown was involved in a contract dispute.[3]"
-end of quote-

I don't know if the religious song "I Feel Good" has any influence whatsoever on James Brown's "I Feel Good" composition. However, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the religious song "I Feel Good" influenced James Brown's "I Found You" and/or "I Got You (I Feel Good)".
-snip-
Disclaimer: This series doesn't purport to feature all the Gospel songs with the title "I Feel Good". Some of those songs aren't versions of or adaptions of the "I Feel Good" song that is the focus of this pancocojams series.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLES
These examples are given with the text for the version of the chorus that is used for that song.

Example #1: I Feel Good - Truth Gospel Singers



Truth Gospel Singers, Published on Apr 24, 2012
-snip-
"I feel good
Every time I think of Jesus
I feel good good good.”

****
Example #2: Acappella "I Feel Good"



The Acappella Company, Published on Apr 6, 2015
-snip-
"Well, I feel good, oh yes my Lord
Because there's something 'bout the Spirit of
Jesus that makes me feel good, good, good, good"

****
Example #3: I Feel Good - Florida Mass Choir



Kadeem Graves, Published on Apr 6, 2016

This is from the 1992 album "Now, I Can See" Soloist: Ola Mae Scott
-snip-
"I feel good
Every time I think about Jesus
I feel good.”

****
This post concludes this three part series on "I Feel Good".

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. In the video of Florida Mass Choir's rendition of "I Feel Good", the men wear kente cloth stoles.

    Kente cloth is a traditional woven fabric in Ghana and The Ivory Coast, West Africa. Since the 1970s, a number of African Americans have adopted kente cloth to demonstrate our connection to our African ancestry and our pride in African cultures.

    Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/kente-cloth-worn-by-american-gospel.html for the 2014 pancocojams post entitled "Kente Cloth Worn By American Gospel Choirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, notice that some versions of "I Feel Good" (such as the one sung by the Florida Mass Choir" include floating verses that are found in a number of African American Gospel songs.

      Delete