Translate

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Sound Files & Text Examples Of "Superman" (Military Cadence)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post provides sound file and text examples of (United States) "Superman" military cadences.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric and cultural purposes.

In highlighting these examples of "Superman" military cadences, I'm particular interested in documenting how they resemble other African American originated and African American influenced compositions, particularly R&B/Hip Hop songs.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and featured in these examples.
-snip-
This post is part of an ongoing pancocojams series on military cadences and the first post in an ongoing series on military cadences that include fictitious characters. Click those tags below for additional pancocojams posts in those series.

****
SHOWCASE SOUND FILES AND TRANSCRIPTIONS
*Unless otherwise noted, these are my transcriptions of these recordings. Additions and corrections are welcome.

These examples are given in chronological order based on their publishing date on YouTube with the oldest date given first.

Example #1: Superman



U.S. Drill Sergeant Field Recordings - Topic, Published on Oct 17, 2015

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises

Superman · U.S. Drill Sergeant Field Recordings

50 Running Cadences of the U.S. Military

℗ 2011 Sammy_Cadenza Records
-snip-
transcription:

I don’t know but I think I can
Take the “S” from-ah Superman
Well, early this mornin’, late last night
Me and Superman had a fight
I hit’em in the head with some kryptonite
He was so weak I had to hit’em twice
I hit’em so hard that he went insane
And now I’m datin Lois Lane
Ah Jimmy Olson hit me from the rear
That’s why you saw legs buried here
Well, me and Batman we fought too
I hit’em in the head with the heel of my shoe
I kicked him with the toe, I hit him with the heel
And now I’m sportin the batmobile
Ah cause ya hey-ah
Army
hoo-ah
heyday
Airborne
everyday
Airborne
all the way

****
Example #2: SUPERMAN - GREAT RUNNING CADENCE



Double Time Records, Published on Jul 25, 2017
"Superman" from the album 'Running Wild: Cadences of the U.S. Special Forces'.
-snip-
transcription:

Here we go
on the move
Here we go
feel the groove
[caller says a line and the rest of the corps repeats that line]
Me and Superman had a fight
I hit’em in the head with kryptonite
I hit’em so hard that he went insane
Guess who’s lovin on Lois Lane
Lois Lane
Insane
Superman
Kryptonite
Hey, Hey
Out of sight
Ah who dat?
Who dat?
Who dat talkin bout the doggone steel
who dat
who dat
who dat talkin bout the doggone first step
All right
Okay
P. T.
Anyway
PT. PT.
[corps responds: Say What?
I said P.T. P.T.
[corps responds]: Say What?
-snip-
Words given in italics means that I'm not sure about this transcription.

****
Example #3: Superman (Navy SEALs Cadence)



Documentary Recordings, Published on Oct 13, 2017
-snip-
transcription given in the comment section by Jordan Syroney, 2018

"Superman is the man of steel,
But he ain’t no match for a navy seal.

Chief and supe got in a fight,
Chief hit supe with some kryptonite.

Supe fell down to he knees in pain,
Now chief is dating Lois Laine.

Left-left-left-right-left
Left-left-keep it in step
Left-right-left
Lefty-right-left
Left-right-left-right
We love to double time"

****
TEXT EXAMPLES OF THIS CADENCE
These text examples are given in no particular order. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

1.
From https://www.military-quotes.com/forum/im-looking-some-navy-cadence-page2-t15917.html

"Now Superman was the man of steel,
But he aint no match for a Navy SEAL.
Now Chief and supe, they got in a fight:
Chief hit him in the head with some kryptonite.
Supe fell to his knees in pain--
Now chief's dating Lois Lane.

Well Chief and Batman had one too,
Chief hit him in the head with his shoe.
Hit him in the temple with his left heel,
Now Chief's driving the Batmobile."

****
2.
From https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/cadence/running_cadence/me-and-superman-2.shtml "Me And Superman" #2
"Me and Superman got into a fight;
hit him in the head with Kryptonite.
I hit him so hard that I busted his brain;
and now I’m dating Lois Lane.

Me and Batman had it out too;
I kicked him in the head with my combat boot.
I kicked him in the head with my left boot heal;
and now I’m driving that Bat-Mobile.

Me and the Hulk went blow for blow;
but I like green so I let him go.
And I guess you’ve heard about a guy named Flash;
we raced around the track ’till he puked in the grass."

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment