Translate

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Three Example Of The Gospel Song "99 1/2 Won't Do" (with lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases three examples of the Gospel song "99 1/2 Won't Do".

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Dorothy Love Coates, the composer of this song and all those who are featured in these videos. Thanks also to the producers of these videos, and the publishers of these videos on YouTube and thanks to the transcriber of this song.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/mavis-staples-99-12-wont-do-civil.html for a pancocojams post of Mavis Staples' civil rights version of "99 1/2 Won't Do".

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/wilson-pickett-ninety-nine-and-half.html for a pancocojams post of Wilson Pickett's R&B song "Ninety Nine And A Half Won't Do".

****
LYRICS: 99 1/2 WON'T DO
composer: Dorothy Love Coates)
(Lyrics below as sung by Hezekiah Walker)

Intro:
Lord, I'm runnin', tryin' to make a hundred because,
ninety-nine and a half won't do.
(Repeat)

Chorus:
Lord I'm runnin', tryin to make one hundred because,
Ninety-nine and a half won't do.

Verse:
On my knees everyday,
Lord please hear me when I pray.
Please forgive me when I stumble,
Lord, I wanna be in that number.

Chorus
Lord I'm runnin', tryin to make one hundred because,
Ninety-nine and a half won't do.

Bridge:
Satan tries to turn me around,
tries to make me lose my ground.
But I don't worry, and I don't fret;
I've come to far and I'm not tired yet.

Vamp:
Lord, I'm runnin'.

Chorus
Lord I'm runnin', tryin to make one hundred because,
Ninety-nine and a half won't do.

Submitted by Guest

Source: http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/hezekiah_walker/99_12-lyrics-1051902.html

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
A recording of this song by the original composer is given first. The other examples are given in chronological order according to their publishing dates dates on YouTube with the oldest dated example given first.

Example #1: Dorothy Love Coates & the Original Gospel Harmonettes - 99 and a Half Won't Do



Phil Pebcak Published on Sep 22, 2012

[from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Love_Coates
[Dorothy Love Coates (January 30, 1928 – April 9, 2002) was an American gospel singer.]

"Coates rose to stardom in the 1950s as a member of The Original Gospel Harmonettes. With her "raggedy" voice and preacher's fire she could outsing the most powerful hard gospel male singers of the era. She was also a notable composer, writing songs such as "You Can't Hurry God (He's Right On Time)", "99 and a Half Won't Do" and "That's Enough"....

****
Example #2: "99 1/2 Just Won't Do" (1976) The Williams Brothers



Gospel Nostalgia, Published on Aug 5, 2012

This is track 4 from the 1980 album entitled "Reaching Out".
*THIS ALBUM WAS INITIALLY RELEASED IN 1976 ENTITLED "SPREADING A MESSAGE"*

****
Example #3: 99 1/2 Hezekiah Walker vintage song, UAB Gospel Choir



Kevin Turner, Published on Dec 19, 2013

(Balcony Camera) Unedited video from the UAB Gospel Choir 18th Anniversary Fall Concert. Opens concert with vintage Hezekiah Walker/Love Fellowship Choir song, 99 1/2. Featuring the UAB Gospel Choir Dance Team, Ryan La'Nier Threatt on lead vocal, Bishop Kevin P. Turner joining the dance team at the end. — at Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Azizi, I'm Ross - greetings from Covid lockdown in Sydney Australia. I've come across a version of 99 and a 1/2 by two male voices who share different parts of the lyric. It's fast tempo in the key of C with two acoustic guitars - there's some fast picking and slide and a little bit of harmonica solo. It's a great version - very exciting. Would you have any idea who the guys are? With thanks for your interesting blog on this song. Regards Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Ross. Hopefully, Sydney Australia and other parts of the world (including Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA where I'm living) will get [somewhat] back to normal soon.

      I appreciate you sharing information about the song "99 1/2 won't do". It prompted me to do a bit of online research before I re-read this post. As a result I wrote you pointing to the Williams Brothers example and mentioning Wilson Pickett's R&B version.

      But those examples are already noted in this 2015 post.

      Here's another possibility:
      You could be referring to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheTWDJWiP0&ab_channel=dimmerswitchproductions "Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do)" | By and By: New Orleans Gospel at the Crossroads

      "The Electrifying Crown Seekers take "Ninety-Nine And A Half" for a drive -- and we mean DRIVE. Blistering guitar, growling lead vocals, and a quartet background that doesn't stop. And there's more -- the documentary "By and By" is in post-production. NOLA's remaining gospel quartets will finally have their chance to shine -- we hope!"

      I’ve decided to publish a pancocojams post on this Gospel version as well as the secular versions. Thanks for prompting me to share them on pancocojams.

      Delete
    2. Here's the link to the new pancocojams post entitled "Two Gospel Renditions Of "99 And 1/2 Won't Do" By Dorothy Love Coates and the Original Gospel Harmonettes And By The Electrifying Crown Seekers" https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/06/two-gospel-renditions-of-99-and-12-wont_27.html

      If The Electrifying Crown Seekers aren't the group that you were referring to, I'm still glad I came across them. Thanks again, Ross!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Azizi .... they're great but not my guys. If I solve it I'll let you know - Ross

      Delete
    4. Hi Azizi ... I found the version - it's Eric Bibb
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yoIl6gBfto
      Enjoy!

      Delete
    5. Hi Ross.
      Thanks so much for staying on the case till you found the version you were talking about.

      Here's its YouTube hyperlink:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yoIl6gBfto

      Best wishes, Ross.

      Delete
    6. I meant to write "Best wishes to you Ross from Azizi" but you probably figured that out. It's 2:55 AM here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, but I wanted to reply to your comments before I went back to sleep. (I looked it up and Sydney, Australia is 14 hours ahead of Eastern Time so good afternoon to you.)

      Delete