Translate

Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Golden Gate Quartet & Willie Gresham - "Soon One Morning" ("Hush Somebody Calling My Name") with lyrics

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases one example of the African American Spiritual "Soon One Morning" as sung by The Golden Gate Quartet and as sung by Willie Gresham. This African American Spiritual is also known as "Hush Somebody Calling My Name" and "Hush".

Standard lyrics for this song as well as lyrics for Willie Gresham's recorded version of this song are included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, religious, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composer/s of this Spiritual, and thanks to The Golden Gate Quartet and Willie Gresham for their religious and musical legacies. Thanks also to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

This post is published in honor of the tenth commemoration of Hurricane Katrina. Rest In Peace all those who lost their lives as a result of the natural and governmental disaster.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/shop-jd-means-dr-cj-johnson-one-morning.html for a companion pancocojams post about the African American Spiritual "One Morning Soon" (I heard the angels singing).

****
LYRICS: SOON ONE MORNING
(composer/s unknown - African American Spiritual)

Soon one morning
Death comes a-creeping in the room
Soon one morning
Death comes a-creeping in the room
Soon one morning
Death comes a-creeping in the room
Oh my Lord, oh my Lord what shall I do

You may call your father
Your father will be no use
Call your father
Your father will be no use
Call your father
Your father will be no use
Oh my Lord, oh my Lord what shall I do

You had better hush, hush, hush
Somebody's calling by name
Hush
Somebody's calling by name
Hush
Oh my Lord, oh my Lord what shall I do

http://www.hymnlyrics.org/hymns_spirituals/soon_one_morning.php
-snip-
"Soon One Mornin' (Death Come Creepin' in My Room)" appears to be an anonymous Negro spiritual. It was anthologized in Lomax's "Our Singing Country," collected from Vera Hall and Dock Reed of Alabama in 1917. https://www.createspace.com/2224468
****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
Example #1: The Golden Gate Quartet - Hush



SyberkaPL, Uploaded on Apr 6, 2009

Live from Yugoslavia in 1967.

From left: Caleb Ginyard Jr., Orlandus Wilson, Clyde Wright, Clyde Riddick

****
Example #2: Willie Gresham - "Soon, One Mornin'"



Smithsonian Folkways, Uploaded on Apr 9, 2009

This video features Willie Gresham's "Soon, One Mornin'" from the 2008 album "Classic African American Gospel from Smithsonian Folkways" on Smithsonian Folkways.
-snip-
Verse 1
Hush, and listen, somebody callin my name. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do?

Verse 2
I'm so glad, I'm so glad I got my religion in time. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do?

Verse 3
I got my ticket and I know I got a right to ride. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do?

Verse 4
I died one time and I ain't gonna die no more. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do.

Verse 5
Well soon, one morning death done come in my room. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do?

[Testifying/Preaching]

Verse 7
Oh death, you can't do me no harm. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do?

Verse #8
Hush, and listen, somebody callin my name. [3x]
Oh my Lord, oh my Lordie,
What shall I do?

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I was growing up during these times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeting, Jesse.

      I have some good memories of some church services, as well as some radio and television church programs from the 1950s USA on.

      Thankfully, YouTube is a great resource for this music.

      Delete