Translate

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Bishop J.D. Means & Dr. C.J. Johnson - "One Morning Soon" (with lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases examples of the African American Spiritual "One Morning Soon" as sung by Bishop J.D. Means, Sr and as sung by Dr. C.J. Johnson.

One version of the lyrics for this song are included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, religious, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composer/s of this Spiritual, and thanks to Bishop J.D. Means & Dr. C.J. Johnson for their religious and musical legacies. Thanks also to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

This post is published in honor of the tenth commemoration of Hurricane Katrina. Rest In Peace all those who lost their lives as a result of the natural and governmental disaster.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-golden-gate-quartet-willie-gresham.html for a link to a companion pancocojams post the features two examples of the Spiritual "Soon One Morning" (Hush, Somebody's Calling My Name").

****
LYRICS: ONE MORNING SOON
(composer/s unknown - African American Spiritual)

One morning soon, one morning soon, my Lord,
One morning soon, I heard the angels singing.

Angels on high, singing on high, my Lord,
Singing on high, I heard the angels singing.

Singing good news, singing good news, my Lord,
Singing good news, I heard the angels singing.

All in my room, all in my room, my Lord,
All in my room, I heard the angels singing.

All over my head, etc.

Down on my knees, etc.

Jes' before day, Lord, jes' before day, Lord, etc.

One morning soon, etc.

Sung by Mandy Tartt, Sims Tartt and Betty Atmore, Livingston, Alabama. Very attractive simple tune.
American Memory, Lib. Congress site. John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States recording Trip.

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=41030 posted by Dicho, 11 Nov 01
-snip-
Lyrics for several other versions of this Spiritual are included in that Mudcat discussion thread. One blogger gave 1874 as an early documented date for a version of this song as sung by Hampton students.

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
Example #1: Bishop J.D. Means, Sr- One Morning Soon



meanmeansmusic, Published on Oct 1, 2014

Traditional Classic "One Morning Soon"
-snip-
In his preface to this song, Bishop J.D. Means, Sr said "Since we in Georgia, I need y'all to help me sing a Georgia song".

Apparently this Spiritual is known as a Georgia song. However, it appears that the earliest documentation of this Spiritual (1874) is from Hampton students. Hampton (now Hampton University) is in Virginia.

****
Example #2: Dr. C.J. Johnson "One Morning Soon" (1965)



Gospel Explosion, Published on May 9, 2014

Dr. C.J. Johnson
Title: The Old Time Song Service
Track: One Morning Soon

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment