Translate

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Examples Of The Phrase "Shame Shame Shame Hit It" In "Brick Wall Waterfall" Hand Clapping Rhymes

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest Update- January 26, 2024

This revised pancocojams post was originally published July 13, 2018 with the title "Shame Shame Shame Hit It" Line In "Brickwall Waterfall Rhymes". Additional text examples have been added to this post.

****
This is Part IV of this pancocojams series on children's playground rhymes that include the phrase "shame shame shame" or similar phrases and/or end with the word "shame".

Part IV of this series provides examples of the line "shame shame shame hit it" in "Brick Wall Waterfall" children's hand clap rhymes.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-word-shame-in-childrens-rhymes-part.html for Part I (Shame Shame Double Shame" rhymes).

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/10/sources-examples-of-i-dont-want-to-go.html for Part II. Part II features early text versions of the rhyme that became "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" as well. Part II also features text examples of and comments about "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" (and similarly titled rhymes) that begin with the phrase "shame shame shame" and/or ends with the word "shame".

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/10/video-examples-of-hand-clap-rhyme-i.html for Part III. That post features videos of "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" that include the "shame shame shame" introductory line and/or the "shame" ending.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, recreational, and aesthetic purposes.

****
WARNING: Some websites which provide examples of children's rhymes includes examples & comments that include profanity, explicit sexual content, homophobic references, and other content that I consider to be inappropriate for children. There is also a Hip Hop record that has a title that is the same or similar to this. I consider that record to be very inappropriate for children.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to those who are featured in the videos that are embedded in this post and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS
Shame Shame Shame (hand game)



Elizabeth Brooks, Uploaded on Aug 27, 2011

Alexis and Laysia performing hand game; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br9fAi7HdDk
-snip-
Note that many examples of "Brick Wall Waterfall" don't include the "shame shame shame hit it" line.

Several commenters in this video's discussion thread wrote that that wasn't the "Shame" hand game. Those comments reflect the apparently rather widely held opinion that the title "Shame" refers to the "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" rhymes.

Other commenters in this discussion thread indicated that this featured rhyme's title was "Shame Shame Shame Hit It" and not "Brick Wall Waterfall" (or "That's The Way I Like It")

****
EXAMPLES OF THE PHRASE "SHAME, SHAME, SHAME HIT IT" IN THE BRICK WALL WATERFALL HAND CLAPPING RHYMES
Here's my transcription of the rhyme that these girls chanted in this first embedded video. I've numbered the lines in this rhyme for the purposes of text analysis. This version is given as Example #1. These numbers are given for referencing purposes only.

Example #1:
line 1: Shame shame shame Hit it!
line 2. That’s the way un hun un hun
line 3. I like it un hun un hun
line 4. Rain fall waterfall. Girl you think you know it all
line 5. You don’t. I do.
line 6. So poof with that attitude.
line 7. Welcome to McDonalds.
line 9. May I take your order.
line 10. Big mac. Fillet of fish
line 11. Quarter pounder french fries.
line 12. See my pinky.
line 13. See my thumb.
line 14. See my fist.
line 15. You better run.
-snip-
This example demonstrates the way that children create hand clap rhymes by combining lines from various rhymes & songs.
Text analysis:
Line #1: The introductory line "Hit it" is lifted from music and means "Let's begin.]

Lines #2-#3: This verse is lifted from the 1975 hit record by that title which was recorded by KC and the Sunshine Band. These lines are found in a number of hand clap rhymes.

Lines #4-#6: This is part of a version of the rhyme "Brickwall Water fall"

Lines #7-#11: This is part of the "Welcome to McDonalds" rhyme.

Lines #12-#15: This is the "See My Pinky" rhyme. This is the only portion of this rhyme that I chanted in my childhood [Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1950s.] I recall it as being just a taunting rhyme with no hand claps or any other accompanying movements.

**
Example #2:
Thats different then how we do it. we do it like
"Shame shame shame hit it
thats the way uhhuh uhuh i like it
uhhuh uhhuh (X2)
brickwalll waterfall
girl u think u kno it alll.
u dont i do
so boom witcho attiitude
so boom withcho attitude.
wait come back
i think u need a tic tack.
not 1 not 2
but the whole 6 pack.
sorry to be mean
but u need somme listerene
not a sip not a swollow
but the whole dang bottlle."

then we see who yells shame on u 1st @ the end of it.
-paris porter, , 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br9fAi7HdDk [This is the link for the first video that is embedded in this post.]
-snip-
Paris Porter also wrote:
an sometimes after that we go like
"You lost a dime u drunk some wine
now u look like frankenstein.
yo mama yo daddy
yo baldheaded grannny
she 99
she think she fine.
She going out with frankenstein"

****
Example #3
It goes shame shame shame hit it that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it uh huh uh huhx2 splish splash waterfall girl u think u know it all u dont I do so boo with yo attitude wait come back u need a tick tack not one not two but the whole six pack see my pinky see my thumb see my fist u better run peanutbuutter recee cup u mess with me ill jack u up!thats how my school says it,butt theres many different versions. 
-Alexa 29, 2014; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br9fAi7HdDk

**
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2: Shame Shame Shame hit it handshake



Ravenashlee Cross, Published on Apr 25, 2015
-snip-
Here's my transcription of this rhyme from this video:
Example #4
Shame shame shame hit it,
that's the way un huh un huh,
I like it un huh un huh,
that's the way un huh un huh
I like it un huh un huh.
Big fat water fall
girl, you think you know it all,
you don't I do
so push away that attitude
push away that attitude
push away that attitude
see my pinky,
see my thumb,
see my fist
you betta run
see my fist.
See my thighs.
Girl you think you satisfied.

****
ADDENDUM
Click http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=63097 for a version of a completely different hand clap rhyme posted by GUEST,Tianna Date: 30 Dec 05 - 11:42 AM. That example begins with the introductory line "shame shame shame/alla bostia"* WARNING: That example is a sexualized version of the rhyme that I call "We Wear Our Hair In Curls".

My guess is that "alla bostia" is a folk etymology form of thee lyrics "tra ra ra boom de a".

****
Also, click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-simpsons-handclap-rhyme-examples.html for Example #1 of the hand clap rhyme entitled "The Simpsons". That rhyme begins with the introductory line: "sin,sin,sin". In the context of that rhyme, I believe those words are a form of the words "shame shame shame".

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. i knew a different brickwall variation borrowing from some of the other rhymes-

    shame, shame, shame
    hit it
    that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh
    i like it, uh-huh, uh-huh
    that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh
    i like it, uh-huh, uh-huh
    brick wall, waterfall
    girl, you think you know it all
    you don't, i do
    so, poof with your attitude
    poof with your attitude
    see my pinkie, see my thumb
    see my fist, you better run
    oh, wait
    come back
    you need a tic-tac
    not a one, not a two
    but the whole six-pack
    sorry to be mean
    but you need some listerine
    not a sip, not a swallow
    but the whole dang bottle
    see my elbow, see my fist
    girl, you don't want none of this

    it's done as a hand game, with some sort of competitive jab (with hands, not verbally) at the end that i don't remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. was going to comment this on the rhymes list A-L but wasn't able to so copied and pasted

      Delete
    2. Thanks Unknown for sharing this example with us.

      Thanks also for including information about how you played this hand clap game.

      Best wishes!

      Delete
  2. We used to say at my school:
    Shame, Shame, Shame, Hit it.
    That's the way uh-huh uh-huh i like it uh-huh uh-huh x2
    Big fat waterfall girl you think you know it all you dont and i do so boom with that attitude
    See my pinky, see my thumb, see my fist u better run
    Hold up wait come back u need a tic tac not 1 not 2 but the whole six pack
    Sorry to be mean, but you need some listerine

    Im not trying to be spoiled, but u need some baby oil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Anonymous.

      Thanks for sharing that example of "That's The Way I Like It".

      That's one I hadn't come across before!

      Best wishes!

      Delete