Translate

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Video Examples Of The Hand Clap Rhyme "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" (Part III of 4 Part series)

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest Revision- November 5, 2019

This is Part III of a four part pancocojams series on examples of children's playground rhymes that include the word "shame shame shame" or similar phrase.

This post presents videos of "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" rhyme family that include the introductory line "shame shame shame" and/or end with the word "shame". My transcriptions of the versions of that rhyme that are chanted in those videos are also included in this post.

Update: November 5, 2019: Unfortunately, some of these videos are no longer available. However, I've kept my transcriptions in this post to show different versions of this rhyme and the ways they are performed.
-end of update-

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-word-shame-in-childrens-rhymes-part.html for Part I (Shame Shame Double Shame" rhymes).

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/10/video-examples-of-hand-clap-rhyme-i.html for Part III. That post presents videos of "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" rhyme family that include the introductory line "shame shame shame" and/or end with the word "shame".

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/10/shame-shame-shame-hit-it-line-in.html for Part IV of this series. Part IV showcases examples of "Brick Wall Waterfall" children's hand clap rhymes that include the line "shame shame shame" or end with the word "shame".

****
The content of this post is presented for folkloric, recreational, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to all those who are featured in these videos and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.
-snip-
WARNING: Some websites whose links are provided in this post includes examples & comments that include profanity, explicit sexual content, homophobic references, and other content that I consider to be inappropriate for children. There is also a Hip Hop record that has a title that is the same or similar to this. I consider that record to be very inappropriate for children.

****
FEATURED VIDEO EXAMPLES OF "I DON'T WANT TO GO TO MEXICO" (OR SIMILAR TITLES.) THIS RHYME IS SOMETIMES ALSO KNOWN AS "SHAME")

(These videos are presented in no particular order.)

Example #1: I dont wanna go to Mexico no mo mo m o



PencilComput, Uploaded on Mar 28, 2007

New Orleans students doin they rhyme thang.
-snip-
As a former substitute teacher, I recognize that this was videotaped in a school cafeteria during “free time” after the children had eaten their lunch. Here's my transcription of the words to this rhyme that the two boys chanted:
Shame Shame Shame.
I don’t want to go to Mexico
no more, more, more.
There’s a big fat policeman
at the door, door, door.
He grabed me by my collar
Made me pay a dollar.
I don’t want to go to Mexico
no more, more, more.
Shame!

****
Example #2: Shame Shame Shame (hand game)



jerving, Uploaded on Jul 29, 2010

Here Irene and her Dad demonstrate how to do the hand game (simple version) known as "Shame Shame Shame" or "I Don't Want to Go to Mexico." The written directions for this appear in the print edition of the August/September 2010 IRENE magazine (online at http:\\irenemagazine.wordpress.com).
-snip-
Here's my transcription of this version of that rhyme:
Shame Shame Shame.
I don’t want to go to Mexico
no more, more, more.
There’s a big fat policeman
at the door, door, door.
He took me by the collar
Made me pay a dollar.
I don’t want to go to Mexico
no more, more, more.
Shame.
-snip-
Notice that when she said the word "Shame!" the girl quickly "hits" her partner.

****
Example #3: I Don't Wanna Go to Mexico No More.



Jannat M, Uploaded on Feb 16, 2009

My friends Alex and Michael showing their amazing skills at old nursery rhymes.
-snip-
For the record, "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" is a "plagyround rhyme" (a "recreational rhyme") and not a nursery rhyme. There are distinct differences between playground rhymes and nursery rhymes.

Here's my transcription of this version of that rhyme:
1 2 3
I don’t wanna go to Mexico
no more, more, more.
There’s a big fat policeman
at the door, door, door.
He'll grab me by the collar
And ooh ya better holler
I don’t want to go to Mexico
no more, more, more.

Speed!
[repeats same words with a faster speed. This continues with each iteration being done with a faster tempo until one of the partners clapping messes up. The person who doesn't mess up is "the winner".]

****
Example #4: Dora sings "I don't want to go to Mexico No More, More, More!"



Keisha Hanvy, Published on May 18, 2013

Dora singing "I don't want to go to Mexico no more, more, more!"
-snip-
This video begins with Dora chanting a version of "Apples On A Stick". That rhyme includes the line "kiss a boy behind the magazine." The "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" version begins at

Here's my transcription of this version of that rhyme:

I don't want to go to Hollywood some more more more
There's two cute boys by the door door door
They'll grab me by my hips
And kiss me on my lips
I don't want to go to Hollywood some more more more
-snip-
The girl then chants what she calls the "original" version of "I don't want to go to Mexico". The version that she recites begins with "Shame Shame Shame" and mentions "the big fat policeman" who "grabs you by the collar" and "makes you pay a dollar". Her version ends without the word "shame" but she says "then you have to hit a person".

Because both of the two rhymes that Dora chanted include lyrics about a boy kissing her, her mother jokingly asks "kiss a boy behind a magazine, and "two cute boys kissing you" - what are you thinking about!".

Editorial comment:
Playground rhymes serve multiple purposes besides being fun to play & reinforcing hand/eye coordination skills. Many playground rhyme lyrics reflect real life. For instance, there probably was a policeman or guard at the door of the big Macys' department store whose duty is was to grab shoplifters by the collar and make them pay a dollar fine if they were caught shoplifting.

The "I Don't Want To Go To Macys" rhyme chroniclizes that. Playground rhymes also serve as a way for society to socialize girls to value what that society expects for those girls as adults. I think this "two cute boys/kiss me on the lips-and the Apple On The Stick" rhyme partly serve that purpose. Pther playground rhyme lyrics enable children to test society's restrictions. That may also be a [probably unconscious] purpose of these two rhymes- but even better examples of this are the "Miss Susie Had A Steamboat" rhymes.

****
ADDENDUM
Here's a video of a version of "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" that doesn't include the "shame shame shame" introduction or the "Shame" (or "shut the door!") ending. I'm featuring it because it shows the most often way [that I've observed] hands being held and clapped for this particular rhyme. Standard words are chanted for this version i.e the big fat policeman grabbing the person by the collar and making [her or him] pay a dollar".

Messed Up Version Of I Dont Wanna Go To Mexico No More



Coco4ChocolatehUploaded on Jun 29, 2010

Ummmm... Messed up version of i dont wanna go to Mexico no more?

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment