Translate

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Buju Baton - "Love My Browning" & Nardo Ranks - "Them A Bleach" (Jamaica)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the Dancehall Reggae records "I Love My Browning" and "Them A Bleach". This post serves as a companion piece to the pancocojams post http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/08/what-redbone-yellowbone-and-browning.html "What Redbone, Yellowbone, and Browning Mean".

The content of this post is presented for sociological, cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLES

Example #1: Buju Banton - Love Me Browning



browningbbw, Uploaded on Nov 8, 2008

It's only right that I upload my signature tune from The Gargamel.

When originally released it sparked controversy over Buju's apparent preference for "Brownings".

Some accused Banton of promoting a colonialist attitude and denigrating the beauty of black women.

In response, he released "Love Black Woman" which spoke of his love for dark-skinned beauties, which just shows that he loves all ah we!
-snip-
"Browning" means a Black person with light skin.

LYRIC EXCERPT
"Me love me car Me love me bike
Me love me money and ting
But most of all, Me love me browning
Love me car Me love me bike
Me love me money and ting
But most of all, Me love me browning...

Pamela and Dawn, Suzette and Karen
I wonder what the whole tribe uh dem thinking
Dem a plan and dem a plan and dem a scheme
'Cause dem waan mash up me and mi browning
But all the rumors dem a spread anna pack up her head
My Lorna not listening
'Cause you know when she alone, ah mi must come back home
Anytime me touch evening
'Cause me ah knowledge very close, how me love her the most
And me not hurt her feelings
But no matter what dem say, but no matter what dem do
My Lorna not leaving..."
-snip-
Click http://www.lyricstime.com/buju-banton-love-me-browning-lyrics.html for the complete lyrics for this song.

****
Example #2: Nardo Ranks - Them A Bleach



Browningbbw Uploaded on Dec 28, 2008

Originally released in 1992 on the 'Murder She Wrote' riddim. Words speak for themselves. Stop that nonsense and be proud of who you are, however you are.
-snip-
The 'Murder She Wrote' riddim is also called "the Bam Bam riddim". Those names refer to the Chaka Demus and Pliers Reggae song “Murder She Wrote”.
-snip-
LYRICS EXCERPT
"Dem ah bleach out dem skin
Dem ah bleach
Dem ah bleach out dem skin
Gal me honour you!
A you nuh bleach out yuh skin
You nuh use no chemical fi look like a brownin.
Gwan black girl
because ah you run de place
Look how you nice
With you beautiful face
Ah true you not brown. That is no disgrace
So tell dem girl
That ah you win de race.
Gal me honour you!
A you nuh bleach out yuh skin
Gal me honour you!
A you nuh bleach out yuh skin
You nuh use no chemical fi look like a brownin."
-snip-
This is my transcription of portions of this song. I've not been able to find the complete lyrics for this song. It would be great if someone would post those lyrics.

****
RELATED LINK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCC31oD0rrs
Buju Banton - Love Black Woman
[Here's the summary that was written by browningbbw, the publisher of that soundfile:
"Following the controversy sparked by 'Love Me Browning', Buju comes back with this response that shows that he loves all black women, whatever the complexion!"

****
Thanks to the vocalists/composers who are featured in this post. And thanks to browningbbw for publishing these showcase examples.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment