Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2024

An Overview Of African American (Soul) Line Dancing & Two YouTube Videos Of Men & Women Performing The "Terminal Reaction" African American (Soul) Line Dance -2009 & 2022


iamkennyj, May 29, 2009

Music- Don't Need It- Jamie Foxx (R&B)


****

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases two YouTube video of the African American line dance "Terminal Reaction". 

An overview of African American line dancing is included in this post along with selected comments from the discussion thread for Showcasing Video #1 of this pancocojams post. dance video.

The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural, entertainment, and linguistic purposes.

In addition to showcasing how this line dance is performed, I'm interested in documenting the commenters' use of African American Vernacular English exclamations, words and phrases in 2024,

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Jaime Fox for his "Don't Need It" record. Thanks also to Ray Boyd and Tony C Whitaker for their choreography of this advanced level African American line dance. Thanks also to all those who are featured in these showcased videos, thanks to all those who are quoted in this pancocojams post, and thanks to kennyj and Ray Boyd for publishing these videos on YouTube.  
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/08/they-not-like-us-line-dance.html
 for a closely related August 2024 pancocojams post entitled " "They Not Like Us" Line Dance Choreographed By Latona Whitaker (video, information, & comments)"

Additional pancocojams posts on African American line dances can be found by clicking that tag below or by doing a Google search for the words African American line dances pancocojams. 

****
OVERVIEW OF AFRICAN AMERICAN (SOUL) LINE DANCING
By Azizi Powell, August 18, 2024

African American line dancing is a group four corner choreographed dance formy that is performed to secular or religious African American recorded music by line dance groups, students in line dance classes, or by people participating in community events that are open to the general public. African American line dancing is also called "Soul line dancing".The earliest line dance in the United States was the Madison (1957).

People of all ages have participated and continue to participate in African American line dancing. However, based on YouTube videos, it appears that young and middle age women (ages 20s to 50s) are the largest gender and age group who have participated/ participate in Soul line dancing. That said, some line dance groups are led by African American men, and a number of African American men are well known line dances leaders and/or line dance choreographers.

Soul line dancing is performed to two different types of records:

1. Records that consist of music with a person (usually male) calling out movement instructions.(such as DJ Casper- "Casper Slide")

2. Dance records from other music genres for which people create choreographed four corner line dance routines (such a "Terminal Reaction" choreographed by 
Ray Boyd and Tony C.).


****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2- TERMINAL REACTION


Tamika Shipman, Feb 16, 2022

Terminal Reaction!

This is an advanced line dance co-created by Ray Boyd. He calls out the steps so you may have to pause a little.

 Music: I Don't Need It by Jamie Foxx

****
EXCERPT OF THIS VIDEO'S AUTO-GENERATED TRANSCRIPT FOR THE 2009 VIDEO

[I added punctuation and capitalization to this transcript excerpt]

:00-.28

[kennyj speaking]
"I want to introduce you to someone, This is my boy Ray Boyd and my boy Tony C.
They collaborated on this one and put this together. It's called "Terminal Reaction".
Ray did the first part and Tony did the second part. Where do you see this? Y'all ready to do this?
Let me... I tell you what, Tony, why don't you you take the middle here. Let me give y'all the spotlight. I'm going step over here and let y'all do this thing.

Give me some music. Let's see what we got"".

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
These comments are given in relative chronological order with the oldest comments given first, except for replies. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only. 

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CUf6MKhV0

1. @chelesev, 2009
"Oh yeah! Go fellows. Yall doing the thang right! Love the steps with the music it's tight."

**
2. 
@EtcEtcEtcPodcast, 2013
"
The footwork OMG!!!! I gots to learn this!"

**
Reply
3. @rosettadenton2876, 2023
"Me too love this line dance. Best yet .May 2023 still looking.️"

**
4. @poodiebhad11, 2013
"i truely love this dance and would love to learn it, as well as my bridal party. best line dance i've ever seen"

**
5. 
@emalymcgameminecraft8035, 2017
"Now that's some real dancing!"

**
6. @denisefischer3565, 2018
"Never saw anything like this! It's just soooooo good. You are living the music! Thank you for producing this!"

**
7. 
@paulettetyler5230, 2018
THE BADDEST DANCE TO EVER HIT THE DANCE FLOOR!

**
8.
@paulettetyler5230, 2018
"My all time favorite line dance!"

**
9. @eggfoolyung7185, 2018
"I would like to be taught this by the man in the front row next to the blonde. He is flowing so relaxed and natural. Great job to the whole team "

**
Reply
10. @n
armusa1361, 2019
"When you get it you feel accomplished."

**
11. @SQUEAKS818, 2019
"Go Head My People....Do the Damn Thang!!!! I LUV IT!!!!"

**
12. @dianeregan4848, 2019
"
JUST SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMOOTH. LOVE THIS. LOVEEEEEEEE"

**
13. @craigrobertson935, 2019
"Sister with the white necklace is killing this dance. Everybody is great but she's owning this one."

**
Reply
14. @zeezixx, 2019
"Yes she is!"

**
15. @temeikabellamy260, 2019
"That WHOLE ENTIRE FRONT ROW was KILLIN IT!! I listen to and dance to this song everyday!!"

**
Reply
16. @exploregreer1048, 2019
"The guy in the back was also killing it!!! Go brotha"

**
Reply
17. @jennyoyster5054, 2021
"I just noticed him. He really was ️"

**
18. @exploregreer1048, 2019
"White boy in far back getting it shorty. Ok the whole crew doing that damn thang!!!!"

**
Reply
19. @MrCamp, 2021
"That’s actually me back there. Thanks for the love. These people are all awesome."

**

20. @saniyahcarroll4411, 2020
"I can watch this group of dancers all day it never gets old love ️ them"

**
21. @santinasantina2177, 2020
"Ooh,I like the diversity, it shows unity,it shows harmony". It is love. New subscriber now."

**

**
Reply
23.@chameelatorrence6935, 2020
"I'm just watching for the first time in 2020 and you right"

**
Reply
24. 
@queenme7595, 2020
"Oh ..wow...there were ladies too..."

**
Reply
25. @msdivagal
, 2020
"
White girl is kicking it for real and holding her own with out any attention"

** Reply 26. @tangicoleman3306, 2022 "I love to see my fellas line danceand be on step wit it"

**
27. @knittybitty-crafters198, 2020
"Greetings

This is truly one of the best I’ve seen everyone one point loved it"

**

**
29. @tonettewhite6059, 2020
"Das old school takin new school too school.

Thanks for the memories yal. Go head!"

**
30. 
@vdodd123, 2020
"About the two ladies in heels.. in the front row... on each side.. get it mommas!!!"

** Reply  31. @barbarabryant8509, 2021
"All I can say is white girl, white girl damn, you go sister."

** Reply 32. @amymaynor7802, 2021
"Get down."

** Reply 34. @ardeladdison3300, 2021
"Right!! They doing it "

** Reply 35. @ardeladdison3300, 2021
"OMG!! THIS IS ABOUT THE BEST LINE DANCE I'VE SEEN YET...

WHERE THEY DO THIS AT??? I LOVE THE MOVES... IT BLENDS SO WELL WITH THE MUSIC JUST ON BEAT...BE IT O.C. CALI I WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY THIS ONE TILL I LEARN IT...THIS IS SOOO FUN.TY FOR SHARING... GOD BLESS, BE SAFE, & HAVE THEY'RE WONDERFUL BLESSED THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY."

** Reply 36.@lindaowens5176, 2021
"They do this in Philadelphia and New Jersey."

** 37. @LoisStCyr, 2021
"
Fast track ! Nothing like old School. Bring it back !"

** 38. @redpilled5830, 2021
"beautiful!This is how we oldschool do it!"

** 39. @carolconner9216, 2021
"Wow! Wish we had a line dance group like this in Hawaii!"

** 40. @lindagibson24, 2021
"They killing it!! Love it!! The Fellas are too smooth with it but the ladies are killing it."

**
Reply
41.@MissEvv77, 2022
"The Sister ALWAYS dances in heels. She is one of the best soul line dancers. I believe she's from the Philly area or South Jersey."

**
Reply
42. @sharonmiller7213, 2023
"Goodness" ** Reply 43. @vanitamitchell3419, 2023

"I know right"

** Reply  44. @jewellwinston8830, 2023
"ikr"

**
Reply
45. @ritarichardson6222, 2023
"Yes lord just grown folks getn down wit it "

**
Reply
46. @jewellwinston8830, 2024
"Forgot about this one, lets get it let's go"

**
47. 
@leshawnspruiell8196, 2020
"I first saw this video either 2012 or 13 and gave up learning, lol! I did learn a couple of other versions but I won't be satisfied until I master this one! Well I've been practicing and I'm almost there! Gotta keep pushing! This is the baddest line dance by far! (and I do mean good!) ;-)"

**
48. @martindoyle7754, 2020
"That is why black lives matter. The music from our soul brothers and sisters has soothed many souls including mine from trauma. Thank you for the great moves. Love from Sydney Australia and Dublin Ireland. Wonderful dancing. Music for the soul"

**
49. @mimijones885, 2020
"This NEVER gets old! I'm watching and trying to learn this through the Covid19 Quarantine of 2020. Stay safe. "

**
50. @yvettefisher3456, 2021
"The guy that helped Create this line Dance is smooth. Love the way he moves. Good dancer. He has a nice rhythm. I really enjoyed watching him dance."

**
51. @SuSuOli88. 2021
"WOW! What an awesome
performance! The dancers are soooo smooth! They seem to glide, and float across the floor. I love line dancing! These line dancers make the dance seem so effortless. They are incredible!

"

**
52. @queenkaili3243, 2021
"I can't even put into word how much I LOVE being Black. I was 9 when this video came out, and next thing I knew, it had the family reunion jumping!"

**
53. @apostleharrietlocklear8138, 2021
"Those Gentlemen and Ladies were definitely on the Move. You were All Smooth as Ever "

**

54. @apostleharrietlocklear8138, 2021
"Those Gentlemen and Ladies were definitely on the Move. You were All Smooth as Ever "

**

- Mike aka “the white guy in the back” ** Reply 56. @cookied55, 2022
** Reply
This dance is new news to me, you guys are great, sexy looking. Glad I came across it."
**
Reply
“The Tall Guy” is Ray, the creator of the “Terminal Reaction” dance. Yes—he can dance his _ off. One of the (not credited enough) “Dave Bush Dancers” out of Philly.
** Reply ** Reply ** 61. @Ofa337, 2022 "One of the best hustles that I've seen in quite some time."
**
"These people know how to step in rhythm. This would be an idea party for me. The ladies and gentlemen went above and beyond the means. They got class and they got style."
**
63. @nettiejohnson7090, 2022
"Yesssss!!!! A good song for a line dance!! Everybody moving the same no extra!! I like it ️"
** 64. @terriej5568, 2022
"Very impressive. I wish I could even begin to do some of those steps. This is the best line dance choreography I have ever seen. ...so many steps to remember."
** 65. @jordjosh2, 2022 "Name n artist of the song"

** Reply 66. @queenbee3647, 2023 "@jordjosh2 

Jamie Foxx I dont Need It!"

** 67. @systerproject324, 2022 "
Well done! Timeless inspiration!"
**
**
"White lady killin the game lmao... absolutley luv all the dancers... super smooth.... on my 1 billionth time watchin This"
**
"I love my beautiful black kings and queens those steps are crisp and smooth I see you two in the front get it I just watched again and the ladies with the heels on are the GOAT"
** 77. @jewellwinston8830, 2023 "M
y girl is getting it,in heels silver,she badd"
** 78.@sapofish, 2023
"CLASS!!!! rhythm! style!! LOVE this!!! one of the best dance videos on the internet!!!! Thank you!!!"
** 79. @MsValerie123, 2023
Love is Blind, Music is blind and Dancing is blind "
**
80. @rochellepollard9133, 2023
"This has got to be my all-time favorite video. I am still working on the footwork. The footwork and the synchronicity within the dancers are totally mind-blowing. I know this is a rather old video, but it is truly priceless and has to be the best ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment