Translate

Monday, September 19, 2022

"O" At The End Of Sentences In Yoruba, Igbo, Nigerian Pidgin English & Various Other African Languages (Online Comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on "o" at the end of sentences invarious African langauges. 

This post presents selected YouTube discussion thread comments that are examples of "o" at the end of sentences in various African languages. 

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/09/o-at-end-of-sentences-in-yoruba-igbo.html  for Part I of this pancocojams series. That post presents several online excerpts about "o" at the end of sentences in Yoruba, Igbo, Nigerian Pidgin English and various other African languages.

The content of this post is presented for historical, linguistic, cultural, and educational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM YOUTUBE DISCUSSION THREADS 
These comments are given in no particular order and are numbered for referencing purposes only.

These comments are given without any explanatory notes/definitions or background information. Read Part I for some information about various types of African Pidgin English.

EXCERPT #1
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqYiKM0o4Y Nigerian Pidgin VS Cameroonian Pidgin Challenge by LuvMattaz TV,  Nov 23, 2017 
1. TherisingofSaran, 2018
"
I'm confused ohhπŸ˜‚   I was about to say the cameroonean lady is speaking Sierra leonean pigin  english (Krio).  Are you sure she's not mistaking sierra leone for Cameroon?lmaoπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
2. 
African Child, 2018
"
Chasseu Clarisse I notice us Cameroonians don't pronounce our words fully in pidgin. For example I've been to all sorts/kind of palm wine houses= a don waka oh kana kana matango hows dem.

Sis ah don dey see you foh all camer video dem ohhh. A be see ya comment foh "sweet mother" music video.

**
3. lovinna alasa, 2018
"🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣am so loving this cameroon pidgin is funny oooooo 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 my 9ja Pple I love una die our pidgin is the best"

**
4. Gaelle Patricia, 2018
"Representing Cameroon here ooh"...

**
5. 
Julie M, 2018
"
Cameroon πŸ‡¨πŸ‡² ooooooo"

**
6. 
Favour Lizzy, 2018
"
Nigeria is the best ooooo"

**
7. 
BIN B, 2019 "Your Pidgin is English o. The nearest authentic pidgin English to Cemeroon is from Sierra Leone"

**
8. 
Stella Albrektsen, 2019
"
Na true ma broda e no really represent we well ei for really broke am down well but not for mboko level ooohh else no man nogo understand dat one....... Ei no really use dat wah Camair words dem fine massa"

**
9. 
Armelle Kegne, 2020
"I'm a French Cameroonians and I try to improve my level in English oooohh.

Na big palaba !"

**
10. 
Noela Tabah, 2020
"OMG how can you allow Nigeria to win. I have subscribed oh. It was fun oh

**
11. Meshi tasi delphine Delphine, 2021
"Cameroon pidgin is the best ooooo"

**
12. claire kometa, 2021
"We dey fineoooooooooooooo"

****
EXCERPT #2
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=C_XkTKoDI18 Yemi Alade - Johnny, published by Yemi Alade, March 3, 2014
1. AusMa _ , June 2015
"Can anyone please write what the guy is saying at the beginning ? I picked up some of it but not everything, thanks"

**
Reply
2. soulblade007, June 2015
"+AusMa _ "My People una welldone O, welcome to another special edition of we don catch am"

 Greetings my people, welcome to another special edition of we have caught it.”…

**
3. Tee Olatunde, 2019
"Yesss Yemii oooπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ™, they danced the French version of this song in my school in Montreal and they danced it well but as a Nigerian I expected more power in their dance πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ˜‚. Love this song"

**
EXCERPT #3
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6yx4dqOPZM πŸ‡¬πŸ‡­Gh Top Hits 2021 Afrobeats/Hiplife Mix By Dj Zamani πŸ‘‘| Vol 6|(KuamiEugene,Sarkodie,,Kidi,Shatta)πŸ‡¬πŸ‡­, published by DJ ZAMANI, May 3, 2021
1. 
mickey mick, 2022
"Hrrr ur mix deir masa nuh be here ooooZamani πŸ”₯

If u can get across all music platforms"

****
EXCERPT #4
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDB0US8Vac Sierra Leone KrioπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡± Vs Nigerian PidginπŸ‡³πŸ‡¬, Allthings Tanya, May 7, 2019 
1. 
Obincl K, 2021
"Babe, you do well ooo. You try well well."

****
EXCERPT #5
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4sTGlEXPk Chidinma - Kedike (VIO Africa), published by vioafrica Network, Feb 5, 2012
1. Rebecca Ogungbola, 2020
"Miz kedike take it easy oooooooooooo,gud voice and nice combination of dress nt like d person wear purple with purple background.Kedike u too take it easy oooo"

****
EXCERPT #6
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFmZKO35SfQ  Olamide - Bobo (Official Video), published by Olamide Baddosneh, May 7, 2015
1. david anderson, 2018
"olamide nice see u again 4 december ooooo."

****
EXCERPT #7
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQx2O6tDwuE Nigerian Pidgin English Part 1 (with my son ), CubsDen, May 23, 2020 [Pancocojams Editor's Note: This is that vlog's summary: "Here, I share 14 common Nigerian pidgin English phrases. My son will be assisting with pronouncing and guessing what they mean. Which one stood out the most for you? Lets know in the comment section"]

1. ExtraStepsCeo, 2020
"@Cubsden u no go kill person with this ya video.  I just dey roll, your pikin don use American accent injure pidgin for us o. Kudos to him sha, na papa born am."

**
2. Debby Tom, 2020
"He is speaking our pidgin with American Accent πŸ˜†πŸ˜†,that pepper rested sounded strange to me oh,I come reason am,come remember sey some people dey speak am sha,I don comot! Last last Your son try sha"

**
3. GloBrandy, 2020
"When he got num seven,he said am a geniusπŸ˜† but wait oh my boy,oga genius watin concern  num nine hammer with walk,ok na true cos the guy move is really a sign🀣,ok oh like seriously num eleven have a good night rest wow you are a darling🀣. Abeg CUBSDEN  don't use those words at home oh,u can't coma coma spoil my boy accent ooo. I was actually feeling one kind today but this episode just make me feel energetic,thanks mama and my genius."

****
EXCERPT #8
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCB9kUEuR8 
6Team-EYEN O.mp4, published by Uddy Samuel, Oc. 6, 2012
1. Ekemini Eyoh
"Finally I found this song! Thumbs up guys. Mbok aba mo o???"
-snip-
I'm going to make an exception here to my note that I wouldn't include any explanations.

According to Google translate, "Mbok aba mo o?" is Yoruba for "Maybe I know you?"

Also, notice that the title of this song "Eyen O" is an example of a song that ends with an 'o'. 

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/08/nigerian-song-eyen-o-by-6team-2012.html  for a pancocojams post about this song. 

****
EXCERPT #9
From 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8PnpPyQ8yo Mommy Dolarz gives up the Rap battleπŸ™†πŸ»‍♀️ Invites big ivy to Nigeria🀯😱, published by UNCUT WITH UJU, August 13, 2022
1. 
shittu abidemi, 2022
"Say no to Studio we want stage Rap ooo Mama Dollar give her Option let them Rap on stage Either Ghana or Nigeria"

**
2. Zion, 2022
"
Mama dollarz quiters never win and winners never quit,

You loose fight ooo"

**
3. 
Sulley Bagna, 2022
"Mama naira don run away oooooh 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣"

****
EXCERPT #10
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxDGJ-Zg70 
HILARIOUS: Nigeria's Best Pidgin Proverbs !, BattaBox, March 3, 2015
1. 
Nwa Eze Nwachukwu, 2016
"e get as e be o"


**
2. TruthIsBitter, 2015
"This your interviewer don dey fine small small oo.. :)"

**
Reply
3. BattaBox, 2015
"Lol  @fuji4real  yes o, no be small fineness."

**
4. Hak Ola, 2015
"anything wey go up must come down depend how far up it went o and at what speed it went"

****
EXCERPT #11
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lZu-6NWZbo NIGERIA PIDGIN ENGLISH VS GHANA PIDGIN ENGLISH II Accent + Language Challenge, published by Chilo talks,April 10, 2021

1. Elvis Offor, 2021
"Chioma your swag here added enough spice. I don laf tire 🀣🀣🀣You too much Jare ✊✊

Na we get am πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬

Btw "I trust you" = I get faith for you o πŸ˜ƒ"

**
Reply
2. Chilo talks,2021
"Na so e suppose be na...omo pidgin without attitude no be am o πŸ˜‚πŸ€£"

**
3. JAPA WITH DEEWON, 2021
"Omoh, I enjoyed this.

Naija pidgin all the way.

Wetin be: 'What dey wrong you?', hahahahaha"

**
Reply
4. Chilo talks, 2021
"My boss himself 🀣🀣🀣... anywhere wey Dem call us we must rep as always na 😁😁. Omo, I find Ghana pidgin funny too o 🀣"

**
5. Lizo D, 2022
"Chilo...

I like your vibe for here ooo!!! 😁😁"

**
6. dafe ebuoh, 2021
"πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬ Nigeria all the way jor...Tule chilo, Tule Nigeria

U too much. Area scatter with Stefan. He try buh make e pay for tuition for ur pidgin 🀭

That "go away" na 'gerrat na' πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
Reply
7. Chilo talks, 2021
"Help me tell am oo πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚... Something wey em go humble himself make I teach am, he begin wan challenge me 🀣🀣🀣"

**
8. Chidubem Amanda Osuji, 2021
"I trust you well in Naija pidgin can be, I sabi you wella oo"

**
Reply
9. Chilo talks, 2021
"Wooow....that's true o. How come it slipped my mind πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
10. Lizo D, 2022
"English: i am going to Esther's house

Pisgin : Ah dey reach Esta house o..."

**
11. EKENE J ONYENIBEJI, 2022
"I love Chilos vibe mehn and I've never heard Ghanian pidgin it's interesting but I just feel like adding a few things or maybe a little more than a few

I trust you in WARRI pidgin is "I know say you no go fall my hand or I sha know you no go fall my hand"

Meaning what, do you think I have money to waste?- say watin? Na my papa be president?

I am angry- I de vex or my body de hot or my body De pepper me

Wow- MAD oooo

She can sing very well- Omo! That babe Sabi sing die

Why do you want to ruin my mood?- come, why you wan pour sand for my garri or why you wan use your reaga spoil my booz

Who farted that smells like spoilt beans- who con mess wey de smell like beans wey don sawer (sour)

You're really pretty- Omo! See as you set ( this is used when the girl is bountifully endowed not just a pretty face) or Omo! See as you fine ( can be used for both scenerios)

That man is wicked - Kai! That man no get joy o  or that man sha no get joy

I don't want trouble - I no want wahala

Leave me alone please - guy abeg free me na

Don't mess with her - no try am o she be no go area

I want to sleep - I wan crash

Please can you help me with a little money so I can get by - abeg you fit help me with small tin make I take hold body

I know this is a lot but Chilo inspired me, if you think I'm off somewhere please let me knowπŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬"

**** 
This concludes Part II of this pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment