Edited by Azizi Powell
This pancocojams post presents information about the English language children's song "I'm A Little Teapot".
This post also showcases three YouTube examples of this song with their lyrics.
The content of this post is presented for historical, socio-cultural, and entertainment purposes
All copyrights remain with their owners.
Thanks to the creators of this song and its movement routine. Thanks to all those who are featured in these YouTube videos and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the producers and publishers of these showcase examples on YouTube.
****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SONG "I'M A LITTLE TEAPOT"
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_a_Little_Teapot
""I'm a Little Teapot" is an American nursery rhyme
and novelty song describing the heating and pouring of a teapot or a whistling
tea kettle. The song was originally written by George Harry Sanders and
Clarence Z. Kelley and published in 1939.[1] By 1941, a Newsweek article
referred to the song as "the next inane novelty song to sweep the
country".[2]
Creation
Kelley and his wife ran a dance school for children, which
taught the "Waltz Clog", a popular and easy-to-learn tap dance
routine. This routine, however, proved too difficult for the younger students
to master. To solve this problem, George Sanders wrote "The Teapot
Song", which required minimal skill and encouraged natural pantomime. Both
the song and its accompanying dance, the "Teapot Tip", became
enormously popular in America and overseas.[3]
The song was recorded and made famous by Art Kassel and His Kassels in the Air orchestra with featured vocalist Marion Holmes singing the tune. It was published in 1941 by Bluebird Records.[4] (Marion Holmes soon after married Broadway, film, and TV star Don DeFore.)
The lyrics begin "I'm a little teapot, short and
stout..." and go on to further describe the appearance and actions of the
singer-as-teapot.[5] The song may be accompanied with actions: extending one
arm in a curve like the spout, placing the other arm like the handle, and
bending sideways to pour."...
-snip-
I have a vague memory of performing this song with a group of other Black children during a dance recital in the early 1950s in Atlantic City, New Jersey In the same recital my sisters and I performed a version of the song "Come Little Dutch Boy". Read my comment in this post's discussion thread for the words that I remember for that song.
****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLES OF THIS SONG
These examples are given in chronological order with the example with the oldest publication date given first. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.
SHOWCASE #1- I'm A Little Teapot Action Song 1
The Tiny Boppers, Mar 19, 2009
I'm a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
(one hand on hip)
Here's my spout
(other arm out straight)
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Just tip me over
And pour me out
(lean over toward spout)
I'm a clever teapot
Yes it's true
Here's an example of
What I can do
I can change my handle
to my spout
(switch arm positions)
Just tip me over and pour me out
I'm a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
(one hand on hip)
Here's my spout
(other arm out straight)
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Just tip me over
And pour me out
(lean over toward spout)
****
SHOWCASE #2 - I'm a Little Teapot | 2019 | Nursery Rhymes | Kids Songs |
KidsVideos.xyz
Kids Videos, 910 views Feb 6, 2019
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here’s my handle
And here’s my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout:
“Just tip me over and pour me out!”
I'm a clever teapot
Yes, it's true
Here's an example of what I can do
I can change my handle into a spout
Tip me over and pour me out!
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here’s my handle
And here’s my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout:
“Tip me over and pour me out!”
****
SHOWCASE #3- I’m a Little Teapot | Singing with Gracie’s Corner | Nursery
Rhymes + Kids Songs
Gracie's Corner, May 17, 2024 #graciescorner #imalittleteapot #nurseryrhymes
I’m a Little Teapot is a classic nursery rhyme that many
children enjoy. If you love singing and dancing with Gracie’s Corner, then come
along and have fun with these great kids songs.
For free learning activities and Gracie's Corner merch,
visit www.GraciesCornerTV.com. Songs available on all music streaming
platforms.
Lyrics:
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Tip me over and pour me out
I’m a little teapot
A little teapot
I’m a little teapot
Please pour me out
I’m a little teapot
A little teapot
I’m a little teapot
Please pour me out
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Tip me over and pour me out
I’m a little teapot
A little teapot
I’m a little teapot
Please pour me out
I’m a little teapot
A little teapot
I’m a little teapot
Please pour me out
Take your left hand
Put it on your hip
Lift your right hand in the air
Then tip
Take your left hand
Put it on your hip
Lift your right hand in the air
Then tip
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Tip me over and pour me out
I’m a little teapot
A little teapot
I’m a little teapot
Please pour me out
I’m a little teapot
A little teapot
I’m a little teapot
Please pour me out
Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh
A little teapot
Please pour me out
Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh
A little teapot
Please pour me out
****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.
Visitor comments are welcome.
As I mentioned in this post, I remember performing movements to the song "I'm A Little Tea Pot" and the song "Come Little Dutch Boy" during a dance recital when I was in the beginning years of elementary school in the 1950s, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
ReplyDeleteHere's the words that I remember to "I'm A Little Tea Pot":
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Tip me over and pour me out"
[I think we only sang that first one time, but I might be mistaken about that. We did the actions that where indicated in the song's lyrics.]
**
Here's the words that I remember for the song "Come Little Dutch Boy":
Come little Dutch boy
Come dance with me
Come little Dutch boy
Romance with me.
Come dance with me while the lights are low
Romance with me 'cause I love you so.
One two three One two three
Up we go
One to three One to three down we go...
[That's all the words that I remember except that I sang that song with my older sister by one year and my twin sister and our mother made our costumes and I was excited and not too scared of dancing in front of the audience.
I just tried to find the actual song we sung and haven't found it yet. However, the words "go this way and that way" in this video sound real familiar. Maybe they were part of the lyrics for the song my sisters and I * sung during that recital long ago.
Deletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9LfvF-NnGs
"I'm a little dutch child - a clapping game and dance" published by Dany Rosevear, Feb 14, 2013
*I also had another sister, but she was two years younger than my twin sister and me and so she wasn't allowed to be on the stage with us which I thought wasn't fair to her.