Edited by Azizi Powell
Latest revision- August 5, 2026
This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series about the 2002 Hip Hop track "The K-Wang" by Tampa, Florida female raapper Khia. (The K-Wang" is also known as "K-Wang Wit It")
This pancocojams post showcases a 2011 YouTube video of a Charlotte, North Carolina line dance class performing a line dance version of "K-Wang". "K-Wang" (also known as "K-Wang Wit it") is the name of a 2001 Hip Hop track that was composed and recorded by (African American) Tampa, Florida female rapper who goes by her first name "Khia".
Selected comments from the discussion thread of that video explore how particular African American dances are performed differently during the same period of time depending on the city, state, or region of this country, and how those dances may have the same name but are performed differently in later years.
Also, the selected comments in this pancocojams post documents how residents in the city that "birthed" a particular dance often feel ownership of that dance and can therefore be critical of any changes to changes to the way that dance is performed by people outside of their city.
Click __ for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II showcases a 2008 YouTube video of Khia's Hip Hop track "The K-Wang" ("K-Wang Wit It") being performed as a line dance. That post also includes selected comments from that video's discussion thread. These comments continue the exploration of issues that were presented in Part I of this pancocojams series..
Click ___ for Part III of this pancocojams series. That post showcases a YouTube trail ride dance version of Khia's "The K-Wang" ("K-Wang Wit It"). That post also presents selected comments from that video's discussion thread. These comments that add to the exploration of issues that were discussed in Part I and Part II of this pancocojams series by presenting information about trail ride versions.
The content of this post is presented for historical, socio-cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.
All copyrights remain with their owners.
Thanks to Khia for composing and recording the Hip Hop track "K-Wang". Thanks to the unknown choreographers of the multiple versions of K-Wang line dances and trail ride versions of that dance.
Thanks to all those who are featured in this showcased YouTube video and thanks to all those who are quoted in this pancocojams post. Thanks also to the publisher of this showcased video on YouTube.
****
SHOWCASE VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJNBSM5aGY "K-Wang Wit It Line Dance #itsthedanceforme"
It's The Dance For Me, Jan 16, 2011
Purple Charlotte Steppers doing K Wang Wit It Line Dance
Music:
The K-Wang (Explicit)
DSD
Thug Misses
-snip-
This video can only be viewed on YouTube.
statistics as of August 5, 2026 as of7:25 PM EST
total #of views- 3,726,782
total # of comments -573
-snip-
I'm showcasing this YouTube video because of its comments much more than the video itself.
****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
The fact that this particular YouTube video on the K-Wang" dance is showcased in this pancocojams blog shouldn't be interpreted to mean that the way that dance is performed is the "correct" way and/or the most popular way of performing that dance.
**
This pancocojams post doesn't include any comments about how individuals in that video danced, although I considered many of those comments to be worthy of historical/cultural documentation.
**
The lyrics for 20002 "K-Wang" track by Khia include a description or instructions about the performance of that dance. Read those lyrics in comment #46 below.
Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8AstfnOpEQ is a link to a 2022 YouTube video that features Khia, the rapper who composed and recorded "K-Wang" introducing people who show the original Tampa, Florida way of doing that dance in the early 2000s.
WARNING- Khia uses a lot of profanity and the n word in that video. is a link to a YouTube video that
****
INFORMATION ABOUT KHIA
Excerpt from AI Overview (This is the result of my August 4, 2026 Google search query about Khia.)
"Khia is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, and record producer best known
for her explicit 2002 hit single "My Neck, My Back (Lick It)" and the
track "The K-Wang" from her debut album Thug Misses
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Birth: Born Khia Shamone Chambers on November 8, 1976, in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania.
Relocation: Moved to Tampa, Florida, during middle school, where she later
worked as a bartender.
Breakthrough: Self-wrote and produced her debut
independent studio album, Thug Misses, which was released in 2002 and went on
to be certified gold."...
****
INFORMATION ABOUT "THE K-WANG" (ALSO KNOWN AS "K-WANG WIT IT")
From AI Overview (results of my August 4, 2026 query)
" "The K-Wang" (or "K-Wang
Wit It") is a popular energetic line dance tied to the 2002 song "The
K-Wang" by rapper Khia. It originated in Florida clubs and remains a
staple at trail rides, parties, and group dance.
Origins and Style
Created in Tampa, Florida, clubs during the
early 2000s.Named after a local club regular named Twan.
Performed in lines or
circles depending on the venue.
Users on Facebook agree that modern variations of the dance
have evolved to include newer footwork, slow whining, and distinct turn
mechanics compared to older styles."
-snip-
I believe that the statement "performed in lines or circles" that is given in that AI Overview refers to people standing in horizontal lines (the formation for "standard" line dancing) and people standing in (usually more than one) single file vertical line and following the leader of the line that they are in who moves in a circular fashion.
Trail ride performances of records that had previously been used for African American line dances or that were newly created for the processions that are described above have been very popular since the early 2020s, thanks to 80sFresh's 2024 mega hit "Boots On The Ground.
Click the link for Part III of this pancocojams series that showcases a trail ride dance (procession) of Khia's "K-Wang Wit It".
****
INFORMATION IS NEEDED ABOUT THE CHOREOGRAPHERS OF THESE "THE K- WANG" AND "K-WANG WIT IT" ROUTINES
I haven't come across any information about the name/s of the choreographer/s for any of the "The K-Wang" ("K-Wang Wit It") line dances or trail ride routines. I also haven't come across any definitive information about when these routines were first danced, which stepping groups or which trail ride events where the first to perform the trail ride version style of African American line dancing in general or the trail ride version of "The K-Wang" ("K-Wang Wit It") dance (i.e. dancing trail ride style to the "K-Wang Wit It" record or a live performance of that record..
If you have any information about this, please share it in the comment section for this pancocojams post. Thanks in advance..
****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THE 2011 "K-WANG" LINE DANCE VIDEO THAT IS SHOWCASED IN THIS PANCOCOJAMS POST
These comments are numbered for referencing purposes only.As of the publishing date for this pancocojams post, the discussion thread for this showcase video doesn't include any comments about "trail ride versions" of "The K-Wang" ("K-Wang Wit It". The earliest trail ride YouTube videos of that 2002 song are from the 2020s.
The inclusion of the topic of trail ride versions of this song adds to the discussion that is the focus of the following pancocojams compilation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJNBSM5aGY
2011
1. @rbn22cablz
"Originaly this dance is called the 2-step.. country style..
:) but this is cool"
****
2012
2. @MsSkorpeo
"This song is by a female artist name Khia....if someone else wrote it..he or she personally needs to take that up with the record label and Khia....but across the SOUTH...it's KWang With it...or Can't Wang With IT.....atleast that what the cd disk cover says when their spinning it in the club......Let's Get It!....I love this dance."
**
3.@SexyBugLady
"This is different thats not how we do it in Tampa"
**
4. @5mytoy
"@DRock6906 I so agree with you. This is all wrong:) I am not putting them down either:("
**
5. @MissDell7472
"Not hot we do in Fort Worth, Texas!"
**
6. @MsSkorpeo
"They really need to come to Jackson and catch us at the VFW on Friday or Saturday nights...we can show em how to do and cut it loose..They did well but where's the Khia cross....you gotta cross with it...that's the fun in it.....smh....that extra kick is the Wang Wit It..LOL..Come on yall....Wang With It ....not turn with it....smh"
**
7.@BDTX11
"ok...n Texas we du tha cross step win we turn plus u supposed 2 pause b4 u turn....plus u dnt need sumbody on tha mic calln out errystep if u dnt no hw 2 du it learn it sum of tha ppl wanna njoy tha song while their dancing dey dnt need 2 hear sumbody's voice threw tha whole thing
**
8. @marcusdjcause
"yeah this is not how its done in Houston there is a shuffle part before u repeat the steps"
**
9.@Mrjaydub42
"this looks like the old version of the bus stop line dance"
**
10. @madimacmc
"If this isn't how you do it can someone please post the
correct way to do it?"
****
2013
11. @LadyRo8
"This isn't the correct dance to this song."
**
Reply
12. @aprilw7568
"I was just thinking that. They doing tha damn thing though.
Lol
**
13. @prplangl40
"Im from Tampa...there are not many variations to the dance!
Thisis kool but it aint K Wangin"
14.
"Well i'm not trying to be mean but thats not how you do it
just saying"
**
15. @americanicole1000
"you all look great dancing, but what happened to the leg
crosses and the slides. was this an easier version?"
**
16. @chocolatedoll1984
"The way they do it is too plain....we do ours with more
movements and swag in Texas!!!"
**
17. @B2ACristo
"Garyjhunter.....we not hatin we just tired of people not
givin us credit if u were hillsborough county or know anything bout da 813
you'd understand...."
-snip
Garyjhunter is the name of the instructor in this YouTube video/this video's publisher
**
18. @1958NeeNee
"We do it differently at Birdie's in Walterboro, SC! On the second step each way, we slide instead
of just stepping."
**
19. @Change2be1
"this line dance is good for a person that is not use to line
dancing and want to learn, very easy."
****
2014
20. @kayve20juju
"im glad yall together and everything. but that is not how
you do this dance honey.lol"
**
Reply
21. @itsthedanceforme
"kevanna adams We know many ways to do it, this happened to
be the way most knew it."
**
Reply
22. @Not2008Me
"Yeah I feel you I live in Florida too, where Khia is well
known lol. You are correct this is nottt the dance. The dance they're doing is
a popular line dance that we do to another song down here, but it's definitely
not the K wang. I'm not mad at them though they're just having fun.You know how
it is by the time stuff makes it out of Florida ppl have the stuff completely
wrong...like the peanut butter jelly, city boy etc..ppl in other states never
get it right"
**
Reply
23. @dmodest, 2023
"Yeah I was thinking we call this dance something else and to
a different song in Florida. Do you know the name of the dance and the song?"
**
24. @SDoby-dx7uy
"i do mine a little different. It's a video of 3 women
outside, doing the k-wang on youtube. I do their version. This is a good
version as well."
-snip-
The video that is showcased in Part II of this pancocojams post is probably the YouTube video that is referred to in this comment:
Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHyHqTobS-E "K-wang", published by DeePinky, Mar 3, 2008 for that YouTube video.
**
25. @tiphaniel72
"Now i like this version of the dance, more simpler. Which
way is correct though?"
**
26. @earsulallahsram3087
"We do it different here in Dallas we cross the right leg
over the left and bounce with it twice when we turn. Its a nice twist"
**
Reply
27. @darlingtgoody
"yeaaaaa us texans know that one lol"
**
Reply
28. @toshibahampton475
"We do too in Alabama (still a Texan though)!"
29.
"This is not Cali style either. They gotta drop/bounce wit
it… back-up then sassy turn.. This is cute but missing that oomph baby!"
Reply
30.
"@ We do that one too"
**
Reply
31. @itsthedanceforme
"S. Doby Thank You, there are a few different versions we do
here, this happened to be the one most people knew at the time."
****
2015
32. @Slim8228
"This is so disrespectful. Everything doesn't need a line
dance especially if the song already has a dance to it. I know my fellow
Floridians would find this disrespectful too."
**
Reply
33. @itsthedanceforme
"??? In all the
comments I have gotten how did you come to the conclusion that this is
disrespectful? If you were the creator of the song and specifically requested
that no one make a line dance for your song, I could see how you could say
that. But Many popular songs have
multiple line dances to them, usually they are slight variations that seem to
be regionalized ( Like above ), but in some cases there are TOTALLY different dances
with nothing in common with each other ( Like the Terminal reaction line dance,
and the Jamie Foxx line dance I have posted also see Big Mucci comment below
). I don't claim to be the creator of
this dance ( I have helped with some ), I just film the dances that we like to
do here and share them with the world. If people find that disrespectful then I
would ask them to question where that came from. I have a video of the Chuck Brown Line dance
posted, and I definitively know that he liked the fact that people loved his
song so much they made a line dance for it.
I would think that Khia the creator of the song would be flattered that
people thought so much about her song to make so many different line dances for
it. I know of 7 variations, and if you read the past comments below you will
see that people from around the country have chimed in how they do it in their
town. The Artist Big Mucci has chimed in
three years ago on this, see below. He
lays claim to doing this version first to some other song. If Khia chimes in
with a note saying she does not like it, then I will add a comment saying so
under the video.
**
Reply
34. @itsthedanceforme
"I don't get paid for this either. I make the videos to promote happiness,
harmony, positivity, and hopefully
Unity. We as people spend to much time
trying to tear each other down for no good reason. I want us all to build each other up. So this is my small way of promoting
something that many people find fun to do. It costs very little money to do,
its fun and usually easy to learn, is a great way to exercise, and makes it
easier to make new friends with something in common. So I apologize if I over
reacted, just want to keep the good times going"
**
Reply
35. @Slim8228
"Nah I'm reading all of this and noticing that y'all are
extremely serious. I wasn't aware this was such a sensitive subject. All love
over here. I'm not getting paid either way so personally I could really care
less"
**
Reply
36. @Slim8228
"I also apologize for coming off negative. Keep doing you and
keep up the great work."
**
Reply
37. @cornbread904, 2017
"this is the Cuban shuffle. The Wang isn't a line dance. #floridaboy"
**
Reply
38. @furious5050, 2017
"its been a line dance the song came out so.....
2016
39.
"This ain’t the right dance"
**
40. @tinawilliams7959
"You do not slide on this 🤔🤔🤔"
****
2017
41. @cornbread904
"this is the Cuban shuffle slowed down.
The Wang IS NOT a line dance. And notice I sat Cuban not Cupid shuffle. The
Cuban Shuffle is a Miami shuffle done off a song called "Let's Get
Freaky" by The Miami Boyz #floridaboy"
**
Reply
42. @Neyagrl, 2023
"I learned this exact dance in Southern
California in 2001. It was introduced by
the instructor as the Power Jam - and the song we danced to was "Someone
To Call My Lover" by Janet Jackson.
🙂"
**
Reply
43. @itsthedanceforme,2017Rep
"This is far from cuban shuffle, they
call the moves in that dance, and we are doing nothing close to those. This is basic K-Wang, with slide added in
half way through. Since they are dancing and they are lined up, that qualifies
for it to be called a line dance."
**
Reply
44. @cornbread904
“garyjhunter, I'm from Tampa Florida where Kiha (the girl who sing the song) is
from. Where the K Wang is from. The K Wang is not a line dance. And this is the
Cuban not Cupid shuffle. the CUBAN shuffle is a Miami shuffle done off a song
called " Let's get freaky" by The Miami Boyz"
**
Reply
45. @itsthedanceforme
"Humm, I have to look that up. If you
check thousands of people around the country are doing THIS dance to this song
and now that makes it a line dance! I
know 3 different line dances to this song. I have two posted n my youtube
channel. I did not make any of the
dances up, others didl and we just like others liked the dances and learned
them. Maybe Khia did not intent it, but now they line dance to it. Jamie Foxx
and Chuck Brown have line dances to their songs also, and they did not
originally start off that way. If Khia
wants me to add a note says she does not approve of the dance I will. I know that Chuck Brown said he liked the
line dance that someone made to his song Chuck Baby, I have it posted here, and
one of his relatives verifies his statement in the comment section. Thanks for
the info, I will look up the Miami Boyz song."
**
Reply
46. @cornbread904
"like i said, I'm FROM TAMPA where the song come from. It's
not a line dance. She tell u how to do
it in the song. It's a shoulder/foot dance
You gotta k wang wit it
Just move your bod
Move your shoulders from the right and
to the left
You gotta step from the front and to the
back
Get off da chain wit it
Don't know how to act
You gotta k wang wit it
Tampa Florida ya'll"
**
Reply
47. @itsthedanceforme
"While you may be from Tampa, and you guys down there might
do it as a shoulder foot dance, if you search "k wang dance" most of the search results will be some
variation of a line dance. If that is
not what she intended she lost that battle a long time ago. The line dance has
probably helped to keep the song in rotation, because from Orlando up to
Boston, I have seen people do a line dance to the song."
**
Reply
48. @cornbread904
"Orlando an hour away. they do it the same way we do it here.
even all the way up to Tallahassee.
trust me, went to school there."
**
Reply
49. @cornbread904
"well Kiha(the artist who rap the song) is from Tampa. She
yell out all the hoods and some clubs in the song. we been doing the Wang long
before the song went national in 2003. someone put a line dance to it and
called it the K Wang which is completely wrong. That's like me going to Harlem
and tell them they not doing the Harlem shake right. lol"
**
Reply
50. @itsthedanceforme
"Sorry to tell you was in Orlando in June doing
the Disney thing, and at 3 places across the city they were line dancing. Spring Lake and City Walk were definitely
touristy, but last spot near Eddie V's was a local spot and they did the line
dance also. Admittedly I was not on the
lookout for people doing the dance the way you brought to my attention, so they
may have been doing both at all the places"
**
Reply
51. @itsthedanceforme
"I am not telling anyone they doing the dance wrong, I am
saying this is one of the dances we do when we hear the song, and we got it
from someone else. I am sure more people
do line dances to the song than do any other type of dance, a youtube search
will support that premise by number of videos found and number of views to
those videos. The song and dance have taken on a life of their own despite what
Kiha originally intended. Another
example is VIC's Wobble. If you look at
their original video for Warner Brothers they have a dance they do for the song
that is performed in the video (about 7 years ago). 2 years later they realize they they lost the
line dance war and they made an "Official" video (5 years ago) with
them doing the line dance that most people in the world do to the song. I did
search and found Kiha confirming what you said and having someone perform that
version of the dance you put me on to. I am curious if she is going to go the
way of VIC and give in, or hold strong and insist on her way of doing the
dance."
-snip-
Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8AstfnOpEQ for the YouTube video that is probably the one that is referenced in this comment:
"Team Khia Tampa Florida Ya’ll💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽
Khiathugmisses.com #kwangwitit ❤️💛💚" published by Khia MotormoufTV May 8, 2022
WARNING- Khia uses a lot of profanity and the n word in that video.
**
52. @deshaunhandy286
"We do this dance WAAAYYYYY differently. They are doing it the SAFE way. We cross our ankles to turn. Plus the right/left...we literally move to
the right/left with it. Oh
well......cool anyway."
**
Reply
53. @itsthedanceforme
"Thank you! We
actually do it 3 different ways here. This was the easiest and fastest of the
3. I recorded 5 videos that night and
did not want to tire everyone with extra versions of same dance".
****
2018
54. @javajazz6686
"Yal doing it wrong".
**
55. @alphonsoblack9140
"This is not the k wang wit it"
**
56. @blatinoboy76
"That's not how you do the dance."
**
Reply
57. @Neyagrl, 2023
"That's how you do the dance they're
doing - it's just not the right song for the dance. You can do the Dance to any
song with the right tempo. 🙂"
**
Reply
58. @blatinoboy76
"@Neyagrl no that is not. Khia shows you how to do that
dance that this here is not it...."
**
59. @brittoocole
"This is weird because if you're from
Tampa it's already dance to this called the skate or the k-wang."
**
Reply
60. @itsthedanceforme
"I had a long conversation with someone
from Tampa and you are correct Khia, had a totally different dance in mind when
she made the song! There are around 4
line dances I know to this song, but Khia is talking about a dance that you do
by yourself. Go Figure!! This is one
that we do. The official version we know nothing about!!!"
****
2019
61. @devindaybenford5610
"He forgot the step the hardest part"
**
Reply
62. @itsthedanceforme
"We all know 4 or 5 ways to do this
dance, I only recorded two of them. This was the easiest for everyone to learn."
****
2020
63. @tomaradoss3420
"I’m glad line dances have more steps in
them now! Because this is a snooze fest"
**
Reply
64. @americanoutdoorsman_1133
"The Chicago version has more steps and
its physical!!!"
**
Reply
65. @OfficialWizzop
"This must be the beginner version lol"
****
2021
66. @shannonstewart4792
"Ummmm is it me or they not do SH__T* K is saying to do
in the song lol. I never seen this version. This must be fo the seniors☺️"
-snip-
*This word is fully spelled out in this comment.
****
2022
67. @danariscoleman1625
"Not the kwang"
**
Reply
68. @itsthedanceforme, 2025
"@ It is one of the line dances, but not the
stand alone dance that they do down south.
So you are correct it is not the actual kwang that Kia originally did."
**
Reply
69. @ChristopherWilliams-dz6tr, 2025
" @itsthedanceforme Song / Beat just so good ppl €an do any &
every dan€e with it 🤷🏾♂️😂"
**
70. @danariscoleman1625
"I’m from Florida. This not no damn kwang"
**
71. @tooreal813
"k wang is not a line dance"
**
72. @icoachladies5006
"But they doing it wrong...."
**
Reply
73. @itsthedanceforme
"Depends on where you are from. I know of
3 ways to do the dance, and I have heard from the people in the place The
artist is from, that they have an actual dance that is not a line dance for the
song."
2023
74.
"This is like the Michael Jackson slide I like it!"
**
75. @RoseJacop
"I tell you they do this dance different everywhere I go…mind
you I’m not from the south…I’m from Detroit. In Bama, Memphis, and Dallas they do a line dance while in Tampa
it’s a whole arm dance…I’m gone learn the Tampa way since they created it…or
should I ask Khia lol 😂"
**
76. @Neyagrl
"So fun! I'm from
SoCal, and I know that dance! I learned
it back in 2001 to Janet Jackson's "Someone To Call My Lover."
We call this dance Power Jam!"
**
77. @brownsuga2976
"No that’s not it .. U gotta be old skool or possibly new frm what I see …to know to
see how Khia do it .. y’all doing tht shuffle dance we always do on the floor .😂😅"
****
2024
78. @neceferguson3089
"I'm so sick of black people doing this
dance to every damn song"
**
Reply
79. @kaydavis2828, 2025
"They do the electric slide to everything"
**
80. @Reprimand4
"Wait this ain’t right lol"
**
81. @marvinbarnett3218
"This the stiff version"
****
2025
82. @RLCason
"I’m from SC born and raised, THIS IS THE
VERSION I KNOW!! I now live in Texas and they do it totally different. I looked
like a fool on the dance floor. 😂😂😂"
**
83. @TinasOcean
"You know this old cause the steps are
more saucy"
****
2026
84. @kingsolomonwisdom1Kings3
"Old Skool electric slide song by Marcia Griffiths with a hip
hop twist. 😊😊😊"
****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.
Visitor comments are welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment