Edited by Azizi Powell
This pancocojams post presents 66 comments that are published in the 2015 pancocojams post entitled "The REAL Origin Of The Word "Ungawa" & Various Ways That Word Has Been Used In The USA" as of August 27, 2026.
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-real-origins-of-word-ungawa-various.html
Those comments consists of visitor comments and my replies.
That post is still found in this pancocojams blog and that discussion thread is still open for additional comments.
I'm reprinting these comments to increase their visibility on the internet and to increase the visibility of that 2015 pancocojams post.
The content of this post is presented for historical and socio-cultural purposes.
All copyrights remain with their owners.
Thanks to all those commenters who I'm quoting in this post. More comments can still be added to that 2015 discussion thread and/or to this 2026 post.
-snip-
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/06/childrens-examples-of-ah-beep-beep.html "Children's Examples Of "Ah Beep Beep Ungawa Black Power" And Similar Rhymes, Chants, & Cheers"
****
COMMENTS FROM THAT 2015 PANCOCOJAMS POST
- AnonymousDecember 3, 2016 at 3:17 PM
Great piece. The mostly black cheerleaders at my integrated LA high school in the very late 70s also sang a version like the ones above. I just looked up the word when I came upon it in Paul Beatty's novel The Sellout
ReplyDelete - AnonymousNovember 12, 2017 at 11:53 PM
I was listening to Dizzy Gillespie's composition Ungawa tonight, which also made me think of Amiri Baraka chanting "Ungawa! Black Power!" on a NY Art Quartet album, which made me go online to do some research, and of course brought me to your blog and corresponds to your Newark experiences...
ReplyDelete - AnonymousMarch 21, 2018 at 10:21 AM
Recollecting a chant from my southern Louisiana private high school in the early '70s led me to your excellent article:
ReplyDelete
"Bang, bang! Ungawa! 'Saders got the power!"
I had a black classmate; he may have been the only black student at that time. I will share this knowledge UM GAWA BLACK POWER is OK 50 years later in our Human Condition To Day. Be Smart. Black Lives Matter vs the Culture of Violence. Um GAWA.BLACK POWER
ReplyDeleteNot to be confused with uNgawa, UMgawa is a made up word from the Johnny Weissmuller “Tarzan” movies made in the 1930’s. It was used in the movies as a word that could mean just about anything depending on the context it is said in. Given the lack of investigative resources from that timeframe, similarity to ungawa appears entirely coincidental.
ReplyDelete
Umgawa has also been used in the same “a word for any situation” with the University of Illinois Marching Ilini since the 1980’s (possibly earlier), usually as a response to commands from the band director e.g “Are you ready, Band?” or “Band, Dismissed!” followed by “Umgawa!” in unison. It can also be used as a form of greeting, celebration or recognition amongst band members and alumni.- AnonymousDecember 29, 2018 at 3:37 PM
This is a wonderful article! We watched Blackkklansman last night, and wondered what Ungawa meant, and Google brought me here.
ReplyDelete
I agree with you on what the meaning of Black Lives Matter and Black Power needs to be - add the "also" and "too". I even agree with "blue lives matter" ... BUT people need to recognize our current context. Between cops and blacks, the current power balance is so horrible, that whites must understand that the cops don't generally need any extra protection or benifit of doubt.
Back to Blackkklansman, I thought it was really interesting near the final scenes, where Spike Lee juxtaposed the scenes of people chanting Black Power and White Power.
(Minor spoiler) I also loved the joy it brought everyone when Ron Stallworth revealed who he really was, on the phone, to Duke.
I'm white, born in 1962, but I picked up a lot of the idealism and hope of those years. I am so upset at the regression we've had in public discourse in current times.
These attitudes have been festering all along ... I want to believe this is all a precursor to (esp. white) people realizing that we need to go even deeper than the gains made last century. One last quote from the movie (Frome Kwame Ture) - All power to all the people.
Thanks again for satisfying my curiousity, and showing how powerful language and ideas spread. Even when some folks like BJU don't recognize it! :-)
Kristi In the spring of 1967, I recall a game my proto-hippie high-school friends and I played (we were mostly, but not all, white). We'd meet in Central Park (NYC) and would stand in a circle. One at a time, each of us would get up and go around the circle. If a boy met a girl, a girl met a boy, or a girl met a girl, they'd kiss. If a boy met a boy, they'd link arms and yell, "Ungawa!" (Yes, I know, sexist and silly, but we were kids.) I have no idea where this game came from. One day a pretty brunette and her male companion were walking by, watched us for a spell, and asked if they could join in. They did for a few rounds, and only when they were walking away did we acknowledge to each other that it was Joan Baez. (One of our "circle," music executive Danny Goldberg, wrote about it in his book "In Search of the Lost Chord" [Akashic Books, 2018, p. 166], but didn't mention the "Ungawa" factor.)
ReplyDeleteI don't suppose this story adds much to the canon, but it does show how universal that phrase was at the time.
ReplyDelete- AnonymousJuly 22, 2019 at 6:08 PM
I was searching for this chant, because I vaguely remember doing at chant at a (mostly white) northern Wisconsin Lutheran Bible camp called Lake Wapogasset in the late 80's early 90's. My head hurts, my back's too tight, my body moves from left to right, Ooh Umgawa, Jesus' got the power. How interesting no one ever really explained Umgawa/Ungawa - if my memory is correct!
ReplyDelete I really enjoyed reading this it was very informative & straight forward clear defining the words ungawa & umgawa. Remember Tarzan using this term/terms for just about everything. Thank you for a very enlightening explanation/education. I wanted to know hunted it down I was lost but now I'm found so much Umgawa! Umgawa! now thanks to ungawa! ungawa! to know is power! Love Is Power! ~mjt~
ReplyDeleteMy father, a sociology professor at an HBCU from the late 60s to the mid 70s, always uses ungawa to mean right on or power to the people. But growing up, I'd never heard anyone else using it. Then one night in high school in the mid-80s, I was watching a documentary film on local tv (in DC, so it was probably Howard's station WHUT) about the Civil Right movement, and they were describing the Miss Howard Pageant when the woman who won had a natural/afro for the first time and not processed hair. One of the voices described that the audience started shouting out, "Ungawa! Black Power!" I sat bolt upright because it was the first time I'd heard anyone besides my father use the term. I have no idea what documentary it was (Maybe it was Parting the Waters? I don't know).
ReplyDeleteWe used to cheer a similar chant at football games in 1972 In Marcus Hook PA
ReplyDelete
Ah we meet walkin down the street
Ten times a week
Ungawa black power
The story white boy,
I said it, I meant it, I really represent it.
Soul sister 69
Sock it to me one more time. Whoo!A white friend from college wrote that when her power came back on she chanted "ungawa, ungawa, ___'s got the power" saying she remembered this as a high school chant of mine. Actually, it was a street chant we did as kids in the hood in NYC around 1968. Was really interesting to read hear about it, and want to add our verion. We either started with:
ReplyDelete
ah, beep beep
walkin' down the street
10 times a week
with your funky feet
OR we started with:
my dress too long, my belt's too tight
my booty shakes from left to right
either version ended with:
ungawa, black power
destroy, white boy
i said it, i meant it
i'm here to represent it
i'm soul sister number 9
sock it to me one more time
Someone elsewhere in this thread had said they never heard of these chants associated with double dutch, but in our neighborhood it was indeed often chanted during double dutch - or just marching down the street, snapping our fingers and with hand gestures to demonstrate the long dress then hands up to the 'tight belt' then swaying our bottoms back and forth rhythmically to demonstrate the 'booty shaking from left to right'. Tremendous fun, also a sense of solidarity and new sense of pride to be able to chant in unison "black power" but to those of us who were very young, part of the fun and games and thrill of being included with the group of older kids chanting with us.- AnonymousAugust 25, 2020 at 11:57 PM
During 1971, us students were given a chant to recite while walking the corriders. We also had walk-outs demanding something for teachers. I recall mainly it got us out of class. Anyways, it went like this:
ReplyDelete
Ungawa, black-power,
Vikings are the best
beat-em in the chest
Watcha gonna do
Dance the boogaloo
M stands for man
D stands for dude
Us mother f....ers gonna sock it to you
Not sure of meaning, I just felt cool. I was an 80lb white, blonde curly haired, blue eye girl. Haha. - AnonymousAugust 26, 2020 at 12:17 PM
I apologize for not using my name but i was unable to change old wrong email address. My name is Karen. The school was Forest Grove Jr. High (7th & 8th grades), Worcester, MA. We had a diverse group of students, rich, poor, black, white. Hispanics not so much back then. The "Vikings" I thought of the people, not a team. I also thought "sock it to you" was to hit. The Black Panthers were active and I associated the chant with this group. Thinking of myself as a "hippie" my attire was bells attached to my jean bell bottoms and cleats to the bottoms of my platform shoes. To say I was a spectacle is an understatement. LOL. I believe while walking the corriders chanting the entire MF phrase was partially said.
ReplyDelete
Also, I came across your blog by accident. I was responding to a fb comment on BLM, comparing the unrest/rioting, by uninformed young people just following without understanding, like when I chanted this back as a child. I didn't know the correct spelling of Ungawa and found you. - AnonymousAugust 26, 2020 at 11:41 PM
I was 12 and 13 so yes, too young. Thank you for responding. I always enjoy speaking to our older generation. We're losing such valuable knowledge. I have no elders around as I age to ask questions. Thank you again. Karen
ReplyDelete I found your page while researching William Peter Blatty's usage of the word in his 1965 novella "I, Billy Shakespeare" and since the text is rife with Shakespearean terms hoped that it emanated from him. Nos uch luck as yet though I did find a few interesting uses from the 19th and 20th centuries.
ReplyDelete
https://ibillyshakespeare.blogspot.com/p/ungawa.htmlIt makes no sense that Tarzan would know or speak Swahili when according to the lore he lived in the African jungle which would place him somewhere in the Congo rainforest. It just goes to show that the Tarzan series was nothing but pure escapist pulp fantasy adventure based on dated western ideas of Africa as being "exotic" with very little effort to do actual research put into the series. I wonder if Tarzan were remade into the modern era and accompanied with appropriate research of the customs and people of the African continent what the series would look like today?
ReplyDelete
Ungawa may be a nonsense word but it's a wonderfully American word in that as a culture we always adapt to the circumstances, just like the word itself changed over time from the Tarzan films, to Black Power, to street rhyme, to high school chant. Its connotation with the civil rights struggle means that perhaps the time is right in the present to begin using it again as the struggle has been picking up an urgency not seen in quite a while over these past few years.Well done, and thank you! I woke up this morning remembering a camp song you quoted and realizing it was rather perjorative. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteOk, I may break this rather old blog, but I found it doing some other research. I grew up in Ocala (Silver Springs), where they filmed the old Tarzan movies. That jungle (complete with monkeys freed by a hurricane) was my back yard.
ReplyDelete
There was a story that the movie studio brought over some folk from Africa to film, help wrangle the animals and such. They called Johnny Weissmuller "um-gawa".
Johnny asked one of the translators what it meant, was it "chief" or "star" or something similar?
The translator laughed and said, while pointing "Do not step in elephant um-gawa!"The word is Japanese, and essentially means porch, or sun room. My guess is someone along the way misconstrued the word to mean fortress wall or something similar. See https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Engawa
ReplyDelete- AnonymousSeptember 3, 2022 at 9:20 AM
After having posted online on poetry.com a poem called “Tarzan’s ‘Umgawa’ Burden,” out of sheer curiosity I searched the Internet to determine whether there were comments in the public domain concerning the history and use of that word and in the process stumbled on this website. How interesting — the morphing of a catch phrase to mean just almost anything for various audiences with various social interests. I ama poet and the expressive use of language is a fascinating subject.
ReplyDelete - AnonymousSeptember 3, 2022 at 9:59 AM
Thanks Azizi. Like you, I’m a grandparent, as well as an octogenarian retired educator of Jamaican ancestry who happened to have attended Howard University in Washington, D.C. at the same time that civil rights activist Stokely Carmichael was in attendance there, and in fact was a dormitory colleague of his during the 1960s We met and knew each other as university colleagues. While the world knows Stokely best as a social activist, I knew him personally as a serious-minded college freshman and junior.
ReplyDelete Here's an article about Howard University students chanting "Ungawa Black Power" in 1966:
ReplyDelete
https://abernathymagazine.com/wakandan-black-panther-brings-nu-africa-mainstream/ " I am Wakandan: Black Panther brings ‘Nu Africa’ to the mainstream" by Joshua K. Wright, Ph.D
…”The highlight of the 1966 homecoming pageant at Howard University was the crowning of Robin Gregory as queen. Robin accepted her crown wearing an afro (or natural hairstyle) and traditional African attire. Students erupted in applause chanting “Ungawa. Black Power. Ungawa. Black Power”. A spirit of black power and Afrocentricity encompassed Howard’s campus in the late sixties."
-snip-
This article has no publishing date. However, this sentence in that article points to 2018 as its publishing date:
"Black Panther’s characterization of women is a far cry from what we found in Coming to America 30 years ago"
-snip-
The American movie Coming To American was first released in 1988.- AnonymousOctober 23, 2024 at 10:26 PM
Amazing context here and this word has evolved so far. For the record, urban legend, or at least Hollywood legend, is ungawa is a gibberish word made up for the Tarzan show in the 1940’s. The studio for this production was on Gower Street and thus “ongower” street became “ungawa” by a bunch of producers creating a made up language for the show. Pretty silly when you think about it.
ReplyDelete - AnonymousMay 30, 2025 at 10:06 AM
I add this comment not because I'm proud of remembering this, but just to add to the variety of ways this word was used and because no one else seems to have mentioned how after the adoption of the word by black power movements, there was a kind of (somewhat) racist satirizing of those chants like "Ungawa, black power!..." The following chant was used by mostly white rural kids in my hometown in Missouri, late 70's, early 80's. I don't know where they got it or whether it's attested anywhere, but this would be a very interesting anthropological exercise to trace its origins:
ReplyDelete
"Unh! Ungawa! [insert name of younger kid you are bullying on the bus here] needs a shower!" (kid would get really mad)




No comments? That's just weird because This is a great article. Folks chanted it at my high school in '67 and '68 often at basketball games. 'Hut Ungawa Shortridge got the (black) Power!
ReplyDeleteIn Indianapolis.