Translate

Thursday, August 20, 2026

"Boppin", "Hand Dancing", & Other Names For Partner Dancing That Is The Same As Or Similar To "Chicago Style Stepping"

SHAKEDOWN/Chicago Stepping, DJ Quicksilver Cooley, Sep 26, 2006

Steve Butler and DJ Quicksilver Cooley bring to you the Shakedown  line with some of the windy city steppers. produced by Steve Butler video directed & edited by DJ Quicksilver Cooley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQeXfDwsiM
-snip-
Here's a definition for "Shakedown" that is attributed to DJ Quicksilver Cooley  "The Shakedown Line" is "A popular communal line-dance format done to specific R&B or stepper grooves where dancers line up and execute synchronized footwork and turns together on the floor."

Notice that this Shakedown Line is a precursor to the "Soul Train Line" is still associated with the popular dance series Soul Train. That dance series originated in Chicago, Illinois before it moved to Los Angeles, California.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a multi-part pancocojams series on Chicago style stepping (partner dancing).

This post showcases a YouTube video about Chicago style stepping.

This pancocojams post also features selected discussion thread comments from two YouTube videos. These comments provide information and opinions about the history and current usage of the general term "Chicago stepping" and the history and current usage of other general terms that have been used for those dance styles in Chicago, Illinois or in other places in the United States and elsewhere.

Click ___ for Part II of this pancocojams series. That post showcases two YouTube videos of Chicago style stepping featuring two men dancing together. That post also includes selected comments from the discussion threads of those two videos.

**
Clixk ___ for Part III of this pancocojams series. That is a replacement of a 2023 pancocojams post that was entitled "Hyperlink List Of Pancocojams Posts About The Philly Bop, Chicago Stepping, Detroit Ballroom, And Other Types Of African American Originated Partner Dances".

I deleted that 2023 post and replaced it with that 2026 post.  


The content of this post is presented for historical, socio-cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are shown in this video. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of this showcased video on YouTube.
-snip-
I'm using the terms "Chicago style stepping (partner dancing)" to differentiate this type of dancing from other movement arts that use the term "stepping" such as historically Black Greek letter fraternity/sorority stepping, and African American (soul) line dancing/trail ride dancing. 

Click the tag below for other pancocojams posts on Chicago style stepping.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM SHOWCASE VIDEO #1 ABOUT OTHER DANCES THAT ARE THE SAME AS OR SIMILAR TO CHICAGO STEPPING (PARTNER DANCING)

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

2010

1.@obastan
"Yea, this is what Chi Town do.Steppin is all about attitude and CHi-town is so full of it is Stankin, I been all over the USA and believe me when i say this, nowhere do they throw down like they do in Chicago."

**
Reply
2.@kelvinburns4597, 2020
"Detroit has a ballroom dance out of this world and a walking dance out of this world even though I am a stepper and a papa from Detroit but the Steppin that these cats are doing today the six and eight count it's messing everything up I hate 68 count Steppin I like Freestyle Steppin"

****
2017

3. @hildamabon1098
"One of the best demonstration videos of various styles of Chicago stepping."

**
Reply.
4. @QuicksilverCooley
"Hilda Mabon that's what I was shooting to show...the styles"

****
2018

5. @charlesbrown9873
"Too smooth!!!!! Looks like DC hand dancing!!! Ya'll do that thang!"

**
6. @clintonbeck9054
"Back in the 70s and 80s they called it Boppin now they call it Steppin

**
Reply
7. 
@QuicksilverCooley
"Clinton Beck well growing up on the Southside streets of Chicago in the 80s I knew it as stepping but I am up on bopping also"

**
Reply
8. @tangicoleman3306, 2020
"You right in the 70’s we called it boppin...startin that at skating then went to steppin"

**
Reply
9. @kandillishis, 2020
"My Grandma still calls in boppin til this day lol"

****
2019

****
2020

10. 
@oldskoolqueene
"I love it. We call it Hand-Dance in D.C. and I been dancing since I was 3 years old like this.

**
11. @lindalyte7307
"Back in the day, we used to call it....Boppin.

I have 2 first cousins, one still resides in Chi- town the other now.. resides  in Milwaukee ( they are in their  70' s now)....yet they can still" Cut a Rug"( The Old schoolers know what I'm  talking about)...." Cut a rug".....oh yeahπŸ‘«πŸΎπŸ•ΊπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΏ
-snip-
"Cut a rug" is an old African American Vernacular English term meaning "social dancing". 

****
2021

12. @gailcooper5660
"This Is Nothing But The Bop... With Ur Own Creative Dance Steps Added In.... This Is What We Call This In The D......THE BOP...."
-snip-
“The D”= Dallas, Texas

**
13. @BeverlyDillon2
"Love it now this is real old school stepping it's not bopping like  people do today"

****
2022

14. @celinawilson8890
"THE REAL STEPPING 2 STEP.πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ–♥️"

**
15. 
@TheRayExtra
"Looks like the bop to me!"

**
16. @DISGUYROX
"This brought me all the way back to my home~Chicago. I got into this when it was called "jitterbuggin' and still get down with it. I love steppin with a woman who's real down. won a few contests, too."

**
17. @sunnu777
"Naaaaw!!! This ain't nuthin' but the good ole' East Coast Hustle!!! :D"

**
18. @bonniemiller8505
"Ok old school stepping I LOVE TO SEE COUPLES DANCING AND LOOKING FLY WHEN THEY DO IT!!!!!"

****
2023

19. @mauliebella
"
A little west coast swing!"

**
20. 
@mrsstrawberryluv1
"Yall call it stepper we call swing out πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°'

**

21. @paulettechatman4604
"We grew up calling the dance the hustle in N.Y.πŸ€—  in 60's"

**
22. @1955jc
"real 100% chicago steppin, they all just doin the damn thing!!!"

**
23. @LogicB4emotion
"This cool , it's got the moves of old time THE HUSTLE with a little SALSA turns. "

****
2024

 24. @ThavrinGovender-se2iu
"Here in South Africa ,we called this type of dancing as Jazz  dancing but in the back of my mind I knew this has roots to the Black Americans who knew how to jive ."

**
Reply
25. @micah14
"Jazz was invented by Black Americans, so even it's called jazz dancing it's still rooted in black culture."

**
Reply
26. @GaryPretorius, 2025
"​ @micah14 black Americans yes...not from Africa"

**
Reply
27. @GrenvilleBS, 2025
"We have a cousin of this style in the U.K. known as LeRoc or Modern Jive."

**
Reply
28. 
@MundiaKamau, 2025
"It's actually the other way round i.e. Jazz and the Blues were exported from Africa to North America, Central America and South America, by slaves from Africa who worked on cotton plantations in the USA, and sugarcane plantations in the Central America and South America."

****
2025

28. @marccr1313
"Here in Brazil we call it samba rock πŸ‡§πŸ‡·"

****
2026

29. @michaelmcginsie2600
"In the 70s when these folks were younger , it was called the hustle"

**
30. @edwardsmith8619
"Westside Bop.  Southside Bop.  A child of the  60’s in Chicago."

**
31.@tinapatterson3006
"It's 2026 πŸŽ‰they still getting down on STEPPING πŸŽ‰♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️"


**
32. 
@Alice-xp6uw
"πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ Steppers Be Stepping."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2-The Origins of Steppin' with DJ Sam Chatman

WGN News, Feb 28, 2023

As we close out this Black History Month, we thought it might be nice to highlight some Chicago Black history with the godfather of Chicago-style Steppin'. DJ Sam Chatman joins us now with more on the art of steppin' and its origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU_j3xUknOg&t=83s
-snip-
The music is ”Sweet Summer Days” by Peabo Bryson.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM SHOWCASE VIDEO #2 ABOUT OTHER DANCES THAT ARE THE SAME AS OR SIMILAR TO CHICAGO STEPPING (PARTNER DANCING)

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

2023

1. @wardatkins1320
"My grandparents called it the bop"

**
Reply
2.@Stacy-e2q, 2026
"Mine too..."

**
2. @mongrelgtv
"this man is legit cuz in the 70's it was called boppin"

**
3. @Audogo-b2g
"I am a stepper born and raised in Chicago.

 We called it boppin'. Chicago has a style of it's own. The steppin' cap of the world.

 To be honest the dance capital of the world the first soul train πŸš‚ started in Chicago.

 We do things differently and with style 'cause we cool about it ."

 Peace and finesse the Chicago way

****
2024

 4. @shirleymuhammad8936
"In the 70s and 80s we bopped. I stopped dancing for years, and now it's stepping. It's not exactly the same, but still fun. Thanks Sam!"

**
5. @lmboyd3
"This is wonderful! In my town, there are a few groups who do this dance style. Our dance style is DC Hand dancing. I also like Detroit Ballroom. I didn’t know these dances are connected to African couples dancing like Kizomba from Angola. Genetic memory. Keep dancing and passing it down to the next generations ❤️πŸ–€πŸ’š"

**
6. @deebarlow
"I started bopping in high school and as I graduated and live my life, I became a stepper and it is one of the most satisfying dances I’ve ever did in my life! I moved away from Chicago. I live in Tampa Florida now but we even have Chicago steppers down here in Florida is reaching out everywhere. There is so much fun and I’m 67."

**
7. @speerrituall1
"In the DMV, it is known as hand dancing"
-snip-
"the DMV" = the Washington D. C., Maryland, Virginia area

**
8. @nataliamiranda7475
"We called it the hustle in NYC😊"

**
Reply
9. 
@sheilaj4084
"similar but not the same dance..."

**
Reply
10. @cheryltee4095
"The hustle is fast and involves alot of arm movement. Almost like an old swing. Stepping is more focus on the feet. So similar but not the same. Im from NY. I luv both"

**
11. @SamCeasar-s4o
"I love in South West Louisiana we are known for swing out you are born with dance in your blood we don't take lesson it comes naturally in the black fly out people been doing swing for hundreds of years my home town is Eunice Louisiana St.Landry Parish. My Name is Sam Ceasar"

**
12. @marianavarro7797
"I had never heard of stepping until that R. Kelly video😊 then my sister dated and married a brother from Chicago and all of a sudden we were stepping at clubs with him, we’re Puerto Ricans who are aged salsa dancers😊♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️"

**
Reply
13. @LadyMargaretSteppin
"Im in this video and I was in the RKelly video

I love STEPPIN"
-snip-
The R. Kelly video that is referred to is "Step In The Name Of Love".
Click  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcLbmWYmnHg for the 2025 official music video for that ic song.

**
Reply
14. @reneewood125
"I bet you all adding Salsa moves in with stepping is beautiful."

**
Reply
15. @BBBucksss-zq9yg
"Steppin and New York salsa are descendants of jazz dance variations"

**
16. @thetruthspeaker5101
"NYC it is The Hustle"

**
Reply
17. @LashidReceipts
"No, the HUSTLE is not the same as Chicago boppin/steppin' (although similar), which goes back to the 40s/50s ..and remember, SOUL TRAIN came out of Chicago."

**
Reply
18. @BBBucksss-zq9yg, 2025
"Respectfully, a lot of this came out of 1920s/30s Black America!"

**
19. @winniejohnson5559
"I see similarities within Cuban salsa or salsa period .. cool .. steppin has a vibe of class and cool 😊"

**
Reply
20. @BBBucksss-zq9yg, 2025
"Cubans love jazz/jive dancing.

**
21. @wack8589
"That looks like the hustle"

**
Reply
22. @yvettea7253
"Yes, except slower and smoother."

**
23. @jefferybingham15
"He is (The Godfather of Stepping) but i feel he left out part of the history . Boppin', (Walking), Then Steppin'/All good babyπŸ‘"
-snip-
"He" in this comment refers to radio DJ Sam Chatman.

**
24. @LashidReceipts
"People are comparing this dancing to THE HUSTLE of New York, but this goes back FURTHER .....and the dance slower, smoother (and cooler, IMO) ...dating back, further (to the 40s/50s) ...this is CHICAGO - NOT New York ...People overlook Chicago's ORIGINAL contributions for the "bigger", flashier cities that get more spotlight ...Consider that the Globetrotters originated in CHICAGO - NOT Harlem ...Just as Soul Train originated in Chicago - NOT L.A ...and there are those who will make comparisons to LATIN SALSA, trying to take it back to some LATIN origin, when the origin is really "AFRICAN" "

**
25. @grandrapladyakaamb2438
"Reality check: 1950's, Englewood, Chicago, IL,- originated stepping, they called it bopping, incorporating, the style of the late forties dancers from Hollywood, such as the Waltz and Foxtrot, giving it elegance and style. That's the truth, Ruth.  Herb Kent turned it into a  distinctive dance when he started the sets @ the Time Square, Charlie Green came later, much later."

****
2025

26. @astankh3090
"Harlem combined hand dance from the south with Afro-Cuban music to produce Latin Dance which is now called Salsa. We Harlemites was dancing since 1932. Praise be"

**
27. @michaelmcginsie2600
"This is a slow version the Hustle from the 70s,  so when most of these people were younger, trust me they were doin the hustle to “This time baby” by Jackie Moore."

**
28. @ozellbaker7188
"We 2 Step in Kansas City"

**
29. @Kemet3.0
"I’m sorry Cleveland is the originator and the official name where they’re spinning and turning is called ‘Hand Dancing.

 Now, with all four doing the same moves.

In Cleveland we coin the term (Steppin)AKA line dancing."
"AKA" here means "also known as" 

**
30. @Roberto-Antonio
"Looks like simple Salsa dancing moves in a smooth, slow-motion style.. lol"

**
31. @sharonsims7082
"Step on y'all Kansas City Mo has a stepping called 2 Stepping often imitated, but never duplicatedπŸ˜…"

**
32. @katinasaffo5732
"In Alabama we call it swing out!πŸ€—πŸ’ƒπŸ½"

**
33. 
@nicoledavis4239
"LOVE IT WE HAVE 2 STEPPING IN KANSAS CITY ♥️♥️"


**
34. 
@doriswilliams1725
"Back in the day in Louisiana  we called it swing out"

**
35. @JohnnyW-v6l
"In Chicago in the 1960’s on the South Side it was called The Bop. The term Steppin’ came some time after that."

**
36. @terridalessandro3412
"i am 78 and did and still do Philly Jitterbug - I had no problem picking up the bop.  have done soul line dancing to.  just love to dance !"

**
37. @promayes8186
"I'm glad he explained Chicago style of Stepping. I'm a Southern Belle so I grew up seeing my parents do what some people in the South call hand dancing and which is really the same thing it just has more of a stroll style while stepping . But I do love the swag that Chicago has on it. And these couple is so classy and dressed. So nice! I love it"

****
2026

38. @angelicanegron3292
"Yessss! My kinda dancing. My mom taught me how to step when I was a lil girl & she taught me that back in her day it was called Bop instead'

****
This concludes Part I of this pancocojams series on Chicago Stepping (partner dancing).

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment