Translate

Monday, September 9, 2024

Vice President Harris' Real Interactions During Her Campaign Stop At Penzeys Spices in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (September 7, 2024)



WFAA, September 8, 2024

On Saturday, Vice President Kamala Harris visited Penzey’s Spices in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

 1. @CristieRoybal
"Yay, Penzey’s Spice. Love you and your spices. Thanks Kamala Harris for visiting a store that supports democracy and immigrants."

**
2. 
@robinleebraun7739
"Thanks, Bill Penze for standing up for democracy, the rule of law and our constitution."

**
3. @dianewilliams5819
"PENZYS is the best spice company in the world because you can trust their moral integrity and commitment to family and USA! Their high quality products are a bonus!"

**
4. @BettyAlex-g3k
"Penzey's has been MY Spice Store for over 15 years!  I am SO SO SO PROUD of the owner and management for their stand for REAL PEOPLE and Democracy and EQUALITY.  75-yr-old Great-Grandma says THANK YOU for your Philosophy and Thank You for WONDERFUL spices!"

****
PODCASTER STATEMENTS AND PODCAST CHAT MESSAGES ABOUT VP HARRIS' INTERACTIONS DURING HER PENZEYS SPICES CAMPAIGN STOP (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Sept. 7, 2024)

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K--0afipJKI "PANIC About the Debate (It's Not What You Think), and VOTER INTIMIDATION in FL, TX | #ResistanceLive"
#ResistanceLive, September 9, 2024 [podcaster Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin, also known as "ECM"]

[Pancocojams Editor's Note: These statements are from an excerpt of this podcast's auto-generated transcript. I added punctuations and corrected some capitalizations and some spelling. I also added a few words in brackets that I believe were implied as well as one word that clarifies what the podcaster stated.] 

This excerpt is from 28:005 to around 30:15 in that podcast.

..."because I know everybody needs good news in moments of high anxiety... about what happened in Penzeys in Pittsburgh over the weekend. So um if you missed it- and I don't know how you could have at this point because the footage is everywhere-but uh Kamala Harris did a campaign stop in Penzeys Spices in Pittsburgh.

Uh you all know Pittsburgh is near and dear to my heart. I went to college in Pittsburgh. Um you know I'm not going to try my best yinzer accent. But uh I, you know, was there after college before I went to law school for a couple of years as well.  And uh you know I love the Burg. Okay, in my own way I still have friends there who live in Squirrel Hill who were campaigning for Malcolm Kenyatta.

All right um I will tell you that the emotional responses in Penzeys  in that footage are incredibly telling because - reminder: Western Pennsylvania is often referred to as "Pennsyltucky". It is referred to as you know essentially a red area in large part.

All right and the footage that everybody keeps looking at kind of routinely is the footage where Kamala Harris walked into Penzeys and there was a woman standing there with her cell phone sobbing sobbing.
And Kamala Harris- because she has a person with empathy unlike the guy on the other side of the ticket ["I think ECM meant "Presidential contest or race, referring to former President Donald Trump] .

[She] saw this woman...[She] was like "What's going on?" Like [she] immediately knew that something was up. [She said] "What's going on."? And the response from this woman -paraphrasing of course but was essentially- "I think you get it and I think you know what's going on."

And Kamala Harris's response to that was "It's going to be okay. We're going to be okay. We're fighting back together. We are going to be okay."

And that was a moment that um I feel like a lot of us particularly women and marginalized people could feel in our bones right this thing of "Please tell me I'm going to be safe. Please tell me it's going to be okay. Please tell tell me that the country isn't going to you know devolve further. Please tell me that the people I love are going to be safe, that my rights are going to be protected, the rights of everyone I care about are going to be protected. Tell me that you're going to win. Tell me that you get it."

And that is what Kamala Harris did in real time.  It was an incredibly reassuring and comforting moment and also a moment of real recognition”…
-snip-
ECM didn't share that toward the end of Vice President Kamala Harris' interaction with that woman she says "We love our country". And the woman says "Absolutely". 

****
SELECTED CHAT MESSAGES ABOUT VP HARRIS' INTERACTIONS DURING HER PENZEYS SPICES CAMPAIGN STOP (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Sept. 7, 2024) 

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K--0afipJKI "PANIC About the Debate (It's Not What You Think), and VOTER INTIMIDATION in FL, TX | #ResistanceLive" #ResistanceLive, September 9, 2024 [podcaster Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin, also known as "ECM"]

**
8. samuel mncedisi

​​"T[h]at interaction between VP /Harris and the kid was heartwarming, and with the rest of the folks."

**
9. Katherine D
"​​Truly sweet and kind"

**
10. Teresa Ray
"It was incredibly touching and I cried like a baby"

**
11, ikantdanz
"​​I cried. She brings the humanism we’ve been missing in politics"

**
12. Mike Roussakies
"​​Okay I did see this video and was like wow and they should play this video everywhere"

**
13. Lisa Hadden
"​​It was a moving moment at Penzy's"

**
14. Solveig Whittle
"​​Penzys video was so meta. Yes all of this you are saying. Harris gets it. High EQ. High IQ"

**

15. Kelley Ramsey
"​​that THE MOST BEAUTIFUL video of our next President, KAMALA HARRIS 🩵💙🩵💙🩵"

**
16. Linda Bryan
"​Penzey's and the owner rock! Use their spices every day."

**
17. Lee Sweet
"​​That was wonderful"

**
18. BetteLouWho
"
​​I cry every time watch her. "Please tell me that you're going to be safe... we're going to be safe!" empathy IS OUR POWER"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I've lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for almost 55 years. Anad even though both the mayor and the public school superintendent are Black, I wasn't surprised to see that everyone in that video of VP Kamala Harris' campaign visit to Penzeys Spices were White except for VP Harris and a man who was one of her security team.

    I hadn't heard about Penzeys Spices before watching a video about VP. Kamala Harris' visit to that store. That may be because buying spices outside of supermarkets isn't my thing, but the fact that its located in the Strip District where parking is often difficult to find is one reason why I didn't know about that store.

    Black people only make up 23% of the population of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.* A lot of times when my family and I attend events downtown and elsewhere outside of that city's majority Black neighborhoods or its integrated neighborhoods like East Liberty where we live, it often seems like there aren't any other Black people at all in this city.

    There's a lot of reasons for this which I won't go into now, but since I've learned about Penzeys Spices I'll certainly be checking it out.

    *from https://datausa.io/profile/geo/pittsburgh-pa/

    "The 5 largest ethnic groups in Pittsburgh, PA are White (Non-Hispanic) (63.1%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (23.1%), Asian (Non-Hispanic) (5.59%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (4.12%), and White (Hispanic) (1.4%)."
    -snip-
    The population of "Hispanics" other than White (Hispanic) that is given on that page is N/A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To add to that information about Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, here's some data regarding the racial/ethnic makeup of Allegheny County, the country where Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is located:
      https://datausa.io/profile/geo/allegheny-county-pa/
      "Measure Allegheny
      Percent White 79.1
      Percent Black 13.5
      Percent Asian/Pacific Islander 4.6
      Percent Hispanic 2.5"...

      Delete