Translate

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Three Videos Of The Nigerian Children's Game "Ten Ten" (videos, information, & comments)




****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases three YouTube videos of the Nigerian children's (mostly girls) recreational game named "TenTen ("10 10"). 

Information about this game and selected comments from the discussion thread for Showcase Video #1 are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for cultural and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are featured in these videos, and all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to #TheOhEmGees, BattaBox, and Eri Ojo for publishing these videos on YouTube. 
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/06/seven-videos-of-ghanaian-childrens-game.html for the closely related 2019 pancocojams post entitled "Seven Videos Of The Ghanaian Children's Game "Ampe". That post is Part II in a two part pancocojams series about that Ghanaian children's (mostly girls) game.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE NIGERIAN GAME TEN TEN
From https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/learning-through-play-mofope-israel-adegboye-mia-/ "Learning through Play (The Game of Ten-Ten)" by Mofope Israel-Adegboye. PhD, May 1, 2020
"In Nigeria, many children (especially girls) grew up playing ten ten.  This was kind of a feet version of rock, paper, scissors.

Girls started playing as early as five years and boys who were courageous enough to ignore any suggestion of being sissy’s playing a girls’ game joined in.
The best challenges were boys against girls.

The objective of ten-ten was to get through a round without the opponent being able to match/predict your play. It was an intense, high energy game, usually very loud.(and got kids in a lot of trouble).but could be played by as little as 2 players and as many as 20.

Just thinking about this game, I realized it was a great example of learning through play ”…

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR VIDEO #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vhlHCmE69U

(Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.)

"LookTen-Ten is like a Game of Rock, Paper and Scissors except you're using your feet instead of your fingers."

**
Reply
2. @BlessingA93, 2019

**
"Thank you guys for bringing the game back. little children these days don't know about the game. I am surprised you can play the game Emman, well done. In my days only girls played the game."

**
"D clapping is d most interesting part of it...and it's an exercise also that spoils slippers like something else"

**
"10 10 10 10 10 10 , o kere o below Emi , Iwo, iwo, emi, emi iwo, o kere o below."

**
"Omg I know this game!!!!! Hahaha I played in it when I was in cameroon. I didn't know Nigerians play it too. It is so funny it was so fun and it brought so many memories. I was so bad at this game. When you said "Oyibo" hahaha she is trying jooh oh"
-snip-
"Oyibo" White people (also given as "Oyinbo" as in comment #-- below).

**
Reply
"Lol... We Liberians play it too, expect we call it 9-foot. Don't ask me why because IDk"

**
"Chai teacher doesn't know the game well but you tried lovely family "

**
"I feel sad that I never learnt this game as a kid. I always envy kids that can do it. I was an aje butta. By the way, why doesn't our Feranmi have her own "anko" dress"

**
" yetunde's clap is from the Yankee, my tummy want to burst." **
"Hahahah Yetundes off beat is cute "

**
"I was so bad at this game so I didn't like playing it. But when I wanted to learn zanku I remembered it"
-snip-
Zanku is a contemporary (2019) Nigerian dance. Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guT32EbS9A0 for a tutorial video of  how to dance Zanku.

**

13.@danemmnation7049, 2019

"Yetunde pls go and sleep, this game is not for oyinbo people, it's for us . We have got the rhythm. The double leg you were raising killed me . Ijust couldn't stop laughing. It got to a point, Emma said "dont clap I will do the clapping"

**
"Nice game. Let see who wins"

**
"Team Yetunde you tried jare"

**
lmaooo yetunde ooohh

**
"Thank you guys for the sweet memories. I remember being flogged as a child for playing too much ten ten "

**
Looks similar to Ghana's ampe(amp3)...also ours is abit faster. do we have Ghanaians in the house?🇬🇭"

**
"Yetunde are you playing Ten Ten or dancing?"

**
"Emma is dancing zanku uncontiously" -snip- "Uncontiously" is probably a typo for "unconsciously"

**
" this is the worst ten ten ever"

**
"U guys are so funny eha Ur wife is oyibo woman"

**
Reply
23. @TheOhEmGees, 2019

**
"I grew up in Nigeria but I don't know the game it even weird to me"

**
"Wow you guys tried but that's not how to paly it but"

**
"Lol. Please Bros we need to take your man card o. Ten-Ten ke! Okay o. Haha"

**
Reply
"Fully signed man card in hand! Today is games day Ke!"

**
"I actually hope today is only ten minutes"

**
"I always hated this game as a child,it just so annoying. Never played it."

**
"This is how we burned calories as kids without even knowing it. This was funny, Yetty's lack of rhythm and Emma's gbe body style of 10-10. Lol"

**
"I seriously don't know this....I grew up in Nigeria oo...yetunde weldone o ...jem"

**
"This one is ajebo 10 10 o"

**
"I thought this was girls games ! It was rhythmical in my days when girls played it o"

**
"I know there is nothing 9ja won't put online, my little girl wanted to play me and I told about ten ten we play as little kid, so I decided to check online to show her what the game is and i stumbled on this channel. Thank you guys for bringing back the memory. By the way this Daddy checking this up, though the game very popular among girls, but some of us boys do play with the girls as well Cheating, by the way, is called OYESEEE"
**
Reply
"I had the same sentiments I definitely knew one Naija person will have it online I had forgotten totally how to play it and wanted my kids to have some childhood feelings and boom the video and ur comments -"

****

SHOWCASE VIDEO #2 - Traditional Games Nigerian Children Play



BattaBox, May 27, 2019 
-snip=
The  Ten Ten (10 10) game is shown from 2:48- 3:24  and elsewhere throughout this video.

Narrator's Explanation:
"And then we move over to ten ten, a game played by facing each other singing and clapping. The main player faces a group of players and shows that she doesn’t raise the same leg as the other players. If she does, she will have two more trials. If she fails, the next player comes in as the main player."
-snip-
Here are three comments from this video's discussion thread (with numbers added for referencing purposes only:

1. @okebadandahunsitv1740, 2019
"
Ten Ten, O kere O below& Suwe. Those are the good ol' days. What about Ringa Ring of Roses, a Garden full of Roses, Atishoo, Atishoo, we all fall downFire on the Mountain, Run, Run Run. Also Boju Boju, Alo mi Alo.

**
2. @duncansmartt2107, 2023
"Ten-Ten was the one i remember the girls playing .it was very rhythmical clapping and fun to watch in 1976-1977 in ilorin" ** Reply 3. @akinakinsiku6818, 2024
"@duncansmartt2107  I remembered this game a lot in Lagos too.70s -late 80's. It was really agirls only game. The girls played it insanely rhythmic! Very percussive with their feet and hand clapping. Very much like the rththymic clapping in Aladura churches. Insanely musical game. As a kid I was more fascinated by the sound sthe girls created and the body movement than watching the game."

**
SHOWCASE VIDEO #3 - Ten Ten Nigerian Kids Game



Eri Ojo, April 21, 2020

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment