Translate

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Ricky Dillard & New G - "There Is No Way"- An Example Of An Anointed Gospel Song, An Anointed Lead, Director, & Choir


Malaco Gospel, Feb 5, 2019

From the album "Unplugged": The Way Church Used To Be"
-snip-
Total # of views as of September 28, 2024 at 11:00 AM EDT= 2,774,041

Total # of comments
 as of September 28, 2024 at 11:00 AM EDT= 987


****

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases the YouTube video of Ricky Dillard & New G singing the Gospel song "There Is No Way" (I can live without you". This post serves as an example of an anointed African American lead singer, the rest of the choir, the director, and the band "tearing up" a Gospel song.  

The lyrics of this song are included in this post along with selected comments from this video's discussion thread.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, linguistic, and aesthetic purposes. 

I'm particularly interested in documenting comments about how African Americans  view church music and church services have changed, as well as documenting the use of African American Vernacular English.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Rev. Milton Brunson, the composer of the Gospel song "There Is No Way".  Thanks to Nikki Ross, the lead singer of this song and thanks to all those who have been and are now associated the Ricky Dillard & New G. Thanks to all those whoits is post also quoted in this post. Thanks also to Malaco Gospel for publishing this video on YouTube. 
-snip-
Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdYZMZdDG84 for a YouTube video entitled "There Is No Way" (1984) Rev. Milton Brunson & Thompson Community Singers
 
Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Dillard for information about Ricky Dillard.
"the new g" = the new generation"

****
LYRICS - THERE IS NO WAY I CAN LIVE WITHOUT YOU
(Rev. Milton Brunson)

There is no way, I can live without You There is no way, I can live without You Burdens are too much for me to bear There is no way I can live without You I have tried to make it on my own But these heavy burdens, these old heavy burdens They got a little bit too strong But right now, I can say that without Christ in my life There is no other way, there is no other way There is no way, I can live without You I have tried over and over But there is no other way Is no other way, is no other way There is no way, I can live without You I have tried over and over But there is no other way Is no other way, is no other way There is no way I can live without You I have tried to take it I couldn't take it, I had to face it But there is no other way Is no other way, is no other way There is no way I can live without You


These lyrics were posted in that discussion thread by @c4rltven236, 2023
****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD

Pancocojams Editor's Note:
I read all of the comments in this discussion thread.. There are no comments in 2019 and only one comment in 2020.

2022 is the earliest comment about this song that mentions hearing about this song from TikTok.. That year is probably when the first TikTok of that song was first published. 

I added the year that these comments were posted and I added numbers for each comment for referencing purposes only.

2020

"This song speaks to my heart. I've had and am having tribulations, the one constant in my life is Christ. He's always there. Even trouble doesn't last always, But Christ and His Word is my strength. and I give Him praise and worship for just being WHO HE IS cause there's no other way."

****

2021

"There aren’t choirs like this at all anymore"

**
3. @ccnygirl

**
"This is an oldie but goodie!! And it brings me to tears everytime i think of God's grace n mercy over my life. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord for his faithfulness."

**
Reply
"Yes Lord. We sang this in our children's choir back in late 80s early 90s. Brings back memories"

**
Reply

**
"Sis voice gave me chills, listen to this on low volume. & watch. #thereIsNoWay"

**
"This is one of my favorite songs. Every time I hear it, I want to open the doors of the church lol"

**
"Nikki slayed but can we get into the choir behind her, they were singing downnnnn 😍🙌🏽.
** Reply
"Yes sis!! They tore that up!! She was there but oooweeee that choir Lord"

**
Reply

**
"YALL BETTER SING👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾 Nikki & Choir DID THAT🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾"

**
"This is what we call singing your heart out !!"

**
"I could listen to this anointing song all day! The world needs to embrace this song cause theirs no way we can make it without GOD🙏🙏"

**
Reply
"I truly agree with you. This anointed song and singers tells a much needed truth. There is no way we can make it without GOD.🙏🔥🙏"

**
Reply
"PREACH!!!"

**
"Amen My momma use to play this all the tie when I was a child n teen, didn't understand now likeI do now, How Great FAithful, loving,Wonderful n provider sAvior God Is!!!! I can't make it without JESUS, Praise God For JESUS!!!! PSALMS 103!!"

**
"Years later! This STILL slaps down! 🙌🏾"

**
"Its the end of 2021 and Nikki Ross "runs" are still unmatched to this day"

**
Reply
That still stands in 2023
**
Reply
And forever more.

**
"I use to sing with Nikki when she was choir director for Willing Workers Baptist Church"

****
2022

"2022!!!! First time hearing this song cos of TikTok"

**
"Tik Tok brought me here".

**
"This young woman's vocals are anointed!! Praise God!!" **

**
"0:57 used to be the style back in the day FOR REAL. I love this song so much, I wish we could get back to this kind of singing and stop all this screaming and hollering ❤️"

**
Reply
28, @onjanettehudson36691,2023
"Lol, hahaha!! Praise God!!😅"

**
No disrespect in paying homage to the original....Rev Milton Brunson and The Thompson Community Singers( 1984)....The Tommies Rest In Glory.... Rev.Milton Brunson🙏🏿🕊"

**
"I’m so glad this is going viral on tiktok I love this song❤❤❤"

**
Reply
31. @caseybc6342

**
Reply
32.@shylynnh2971, 2023

**
"I heard part of this on a Tik Tok and I had yo hear the song in its entirely ❤️"

**
Reply
34. @roneekablount5642
"Same here ‼❤️"

**
"Y’all from tiktok, assemble here for a selfie 🤳😁"

**
"Oh what a testimony and confession... There is no way i can live without you,"

**
37. @tasiajones1113
"Bro I still cry off this song they sung this beautifully man. 🖤"

**
38. @CindyPaul
"Straight goosebumps"

**
"This is what you call an annointed be voice!!! Her voice is just beyond words beautiful!!!"

**
"It’s crazy how Nikki left no crumbs…🔥🔥🔥✨ Sang choir. And that conductor. Can we talk about how he moved w/every part of the song. Ha!"

**
Reply
41. @jaycesmith7899
"She was doing that in high school. She led a lot of songs."

**
"I see you alum! I saw the thumbnail and had to click. I remember when you were leading songs in the auditorium out high school years. Htown, BTW '93 stand up and salute!"

**
"They tore that song up.👍"

**
"Question… When she hit that Way Aye Aye Aye… in sync with the piano.. Was the keyboardist following her or was she following them!? OMG! Absolutely Phenomenal! And right on time.. (I know You’re gonna do it Lord..🙌🏽) Thank You.."

**
"I remember our Youth Choir would sing this song and there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house...HALLELUJAH!!!"

**
"Lord I song this song on April 7,2007 it was my grandma favorite song and this song took me to another level with God. This song and date was the day my beloved grandma got her heavenly call home. It was extremely hard but I felt like when I sung this song that morning in church I could see a figure of her leaving and she did later that night at 10:30pm"

**
Reply
47. @gorjess874, 2023
"🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 My condolences"

**
48. @shangooya2522
"Nikki is a Vocal beast!"
**
Reply
49. @cd5139

**
"Our Youth Choir sang this and tore up the Church. The GOD of Israel was well pleased…in bodies."

**
"There is no way i would have been standing at the end of that i woulda been on the floor crying and passed out in holy fervor...cus whewwwww they sung THAT"

**
"This the truest testimony song of the rebellious who had to learn the hard way🙌🏾 praise God for his mercy"

**
"Beautiful anointing song. It takes you there to a place of true worship."
**
"She LEADS , they sannnng but the man DIRECTED the people !! God bless the oldie but goodie in 2022"

**
"God I miss this type of choral arranging in churches of today. Everyone want to have a "praise team" but this sound is totally amazing. Lady Nikki Ross who is on lead, is not only an amazing vocalist, but she is a beast on keys, as well!"

**
Reply
"C Armani: people want a praise team is correct. That "praise and worship music" doesn't hit the soul and , I hope I live long enough to see it gone from the church. As a long time church musician, I find it to be effortless and insulting, especially to the black church." -snip- C Armani's comment supporting church praise teams is no longer found in this discussion thread.

**
Reply
"ME TOO! The spirit just hits differently with a choir like this! Not that praise teams aren’t good, but I’m thankful I grew up in a church with a choir like this. 🙏🏾♥️"

**
Reply
"Can someone explain what is a "praise team", please ? ^^'"

**
Reply
"I agree, I love this type of gospel"

**
Reply
"Why aren't there church choirs like this anymore?"

**
Reply
Right! I'm over these praise teams. I hate the clothes bc everyon, imo don't have the same respect. tight skirts busty women with revealing blouses on its just it's too much bring back the robes and the whole choir! COVID literally came and destroyed everything almost permanently!

**
Reply
"@geogass  Praise team will have four to six singers versus a choir that consists of an Alto section, soprano section and tenor section"

**
Reply
"@emeraldjonz.  Thanks ^^"

**
64. @CDREAMSFOUNDATION

**
"How is that audience just standing there??? I'd be screaming and shouting!"

**
"🌺💖🌺 To ✨GOD Be The Glory❣❣❣#PraiseHim!!!... 🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽"

**
67. @demarriustolbert4288
"She just ate and left like she ain't just sing her butt off"

**
The Choir Director had that stank face for real. 2:54 🤣🤣🤣🤣
**
Reply
"We all had it. lol"

**
"All Praises due to Jesus the Most High."

**
71. @cleberferreira4372
"
Alguém brasileiro tá aqui em 2022?"
-snip- Google translate from Portuguese (Brazil) to English Is anyone Brazilian here in 2022? -snip- There are no likes or comments as of Sept, 28, 2024
**
"Lol tic Tok and ig done caught on"

**
"There's no way I can do anything without You Lord Boy this song always take me back when they really worshipped in church"

**
"OMG used to put my radio on WTMP and praise the Lord while cleaning my house and play it over Again! 🙌"

**
"@2:45-2:58 my GOD....DO YALL HEAR THAT....go get your best singer and i bet you that CANT copy her...PURE TALENT"

**
77. @christopherchoyce5116

**
78. @MissCharla
"Thank you TikTok of bringing us here…"

**
"12/22 There is no way,,, I need Jesus, survivor of COVID Twice and praise God ,,, I’m still here 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏"

**
2023

80. @shivetteg4308
"In 2023, we still cannot live without Jesus. ❤🤲🏾🤲🏾"

**
Reply
"Right! Bless His Holy name!! 🙌🏽🙏🏽❤"

**
Reply
82. @marciasimms6889

**
Reply
83. @sylviajenkins4784

**
"Tick-tock and Instagram brought this song to my attention"

**
85. @kickinitwithtray95
"The choir director was going all the way in tho"

**
"Hallelujah thank you Jesus. 🙌🏽 This selection is Anointed and appointed still 2023"

**
"Aaawww Jesus ! Iam getting goose bumps ! Amen . Iam feeling the spirit Thk you ! Jesus .🙏🙏"

**
"SANG, GIRL!!!!!!"

**
"St,John's Wendy takes the roof off with this song. I go visit my old church, I miss,so much!:)"


**

"I sang this song with Dr. James Mumford’s African American Choral ensemble, From IU Bloomington Indiana , on a tour that took us through Michigan and into Canada in 1984"

**
"Child we still singing this in 2023 and fills the house with praise everytime."

**
"God uses whom He pleases,I was on YouTube saw the Brats the rapper post this song and immediately looked it up and it blessed my spirit😂🙏"

**
Listen sis tore that song up. Yes 🙌🏾

**
"Still bumping in 2023. A gospel classic."
**

**
"I Remember When I Was Younger And Was On The Church Choir And We Sang This Song You Could Feel The Spirit Moving In The Church Amen Hallelujah"

**
"I cant help it, I keep coming back to this song 3-4 times a day. EACH TIME i hear something different. This choir is OMG, BAND CHOIR DIRECTOR. LORD WE NEED YOU THIS WORLD IS OUT OF CONTROL. HEAR OUR CRY, WE CANT DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!"

****
2024


"Who’s bringing in 2024 with this classic gospel anthem?!!?? @MzSherice202"

**
98. 
@rashellet

**
99. @Fluffysituations

**
2024, this song is still the bomb!!

**
This is a song that “ Breaks Yokes” & brings down Strongholds!! 🗣️ “ I have tried overrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

**
"This song reminds me of my years singing in the gospel choir at the University of Florida back in the mid to late 80's when Milton Brunson and the Thompson Community choir sang the song! Nicki Ross is an anointed and talented singer! Thank you for blessing me with this timeless classic! 🙏"

**
103. 
@michaellynch9557

**
104. @alanmorris669
"I'm glad Ricky's choir members still wear robes. I'm tired of seeing other choirs wearing dirty jeans and t-shirts."

**
"✨You betta Direct that Choir❗❗✨"

**
"What ever happened to Steve that director? I think he was in every community choir on Chicago back in the 1980s. 😂"

**
"Something about real gospel refreshes and uplifts. Nothing against the more modern sounds but classic gospel just hits differently"

**
"I grew in singing in choirs ..lots of churches have settled with praise teams and that’s great . I had some tell me there not out there any more …..I said you wrong there still out there .. there coming back. Little by little .."

**
"SANG NIKKI SANG…✨🙌🏾…SING CHOIR🗣"

**
110. @MightyManOfVakor95
**
111. @80sGal88
**
**** Thanks for visiting pancocojams. Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment